Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: With no NCAA Tourney, what is the effect on Ayayi and Petro going pro?

Default With no NCAA Tourney, what is the effect on Ayayi and Petro going pro?

Does this help or hurt their cause?

Ayayi is coming off Most Outstanding Player in the WCC tourny. Gotta think that this helps him. Last impression was pretty darn good, vs possibly getting shut down by more physical/athletic guards that he could have faced later in the tourny.

Petro I think is in the same boat. He was POY in WCC and led the Zags in scoring. He benefits in a HUGE way IMO by not having to face much stronger and tougher players in the tournament.

I would not be surprised at all if both of them are gone now.

Quote Originally Posted by IowaSERE View Post
    Does this help or hurt their cause?

Ayayi is coming off Most Outstanding Player in the WCC tourny. Gotta think that this helps him. Last impression was pretty darn good, vs possibly getting shut down by more physical/athletic guards that he could have faced later in the tourny.

Petro I think is in the same boat. He was POY in WCC and led the Zags in scoring. He benefits in a HUGE way IMO by not having to face much stronger and tougher players in the tournament.

I would not be surprised at all if both of them are gone now.
    I don't think it affects them all that much to be honest - there's enough tape on both of them against all sorts of different opponents to get a general draft idea for the scouts. A caveat to this of course is what Collins did for his stock in 2017, but I he was more an exception than anything else.

Besides, isn't there some concrete evidence out there for at least Ayayi returning based on an interview with him? Additionally I can't imagine players wanting to leave college having been so close to the tournament, but that is just me.

I think they should both test the waters for experience, and then come back because i think they're both 2nd rounders at this point. Definitely not lottery.
    Krozman
    GU student 1996-2000
    Law Student 2000-2003

I'm one of those guys who believes that every cloud has a silver lining. With the NBA shutting down, half of Europe shutting down, I believe that the ripple effect is that all of our non-Seniors are coming back in November. Filip was never ready for the NBA anyways; anyone who told him different was an idiot.

Quote Originally Posted by SorenTodd45 View Post
    I'm one of those guys who believes that every cloud has a silver lining. With the NBA shutting down, half of Europe shutting down, I believe that the ripple effect is that all of our non-Seniors are coming back in November. Filip was never ready for the NBA anyways; anyone who told him different was an idiot.
    One more sliver of silver: the Europe, Asia and now Australia situation could dampen Suggs family's fervor to go pro.

And, we start the season on a 4-game winning streak.

If they'd have done amazing things like Collins did in the South Carolina game that might have got them more looks. Honestly though, it's the body of work already done . I agree with Krozman above, They should test the waters. I anticipate both back at GU but Europe is fertile. Long shot NBA players. BUT you never know since the G-league has come alive and pays a kid $75 K..

I think both guys should declare and then can decide what is best for them from there. I personally expect Ayayi back next year as I think he is a NBA player and could be a first rounder in 2021 draft. I think Petrusev is really about whether he wants to play more college ball or turn pro (whether NBA, GLeague, or Overseas).

We are assuming that the NBA is even going to have a Basketball Combine...they might just go straight to the draft.

- i live in spokane, was told by a friend who spoke to petro at beginning of the season, he said, petro was adamant that this was going to be his last season with g.u.
    - that said he is not ready for the nba, i'm not sure he ever will be. but he is ready now for euro professional ball, and can make good money, have a happy life without college ball.

- as to ayayi, again i do not see him as nba ready. he could go the route of nwg, catch the eye of an nba team, who talks him into the g-league, or promises of a try out with improvement in overseas play.

- my belief is petro is gone, my hope is that ayayi returns and if i laid a bet, i think he will.

Ayayi should stick around another year. As good as he was and how far he came along he still vanished to many times in games and is still young enough and teachable to make his draft stock so much better with another year being a Zag

I wish for selfish reasons that Petro would take Dickie V's advice and spend another year as a Zag perfecting his game and learning to face up to the basket with a longer range jump shot. He will get bullied around playing with bigger and stronger players in the NBA if he doesn't put on some muscle and strengthen his hands.

I would be surprised if Petro comes back. No insider knowledge, just guessing that he wants to go after taking a hard look last year. I think Ayayi should stay for sure. I would be equally surprised if he left.

I remember last year when Zach Norvell decided to stay in the draft and take his chances. I felt like I might jump out a window! Because honestly I did not think that would happen.
    I personally think both Petro & Joel could be pro's right now but not NBA pro's.
    If they feel like GU is best place to develop their individual skillset they will stay next year. I think Joel stays & Petro leaves. Both are really skilled and we are lucky to have them.

I would be shocked if either leave. both are pretty low on the draft boards if they are even present at all. I'd be willing to bet Few pitches petro that he could be a potential lottery pick if he stayed another possibly proves he can hit the 3. As for Ayayi he is 110% coming back.

Quote Originally Posted by ZagRecruitWatch View Post
    I would be shocked if either leave. both are pretty low on the draft boards if they are even present at all. I'd be willing to bet Few pitches petro that he could be a potential lottery pick if he stayed another possibly proves he can hit the 3. As for Ayayi he is 110% coming back.
    or, maybe, hit a free throw.
    Krozman
    GU student 1996-2000
    Law Student 2000-2003

I expect Petrusev to be gone. I would be shocked if Ayayi were to leave. He may test the waters but the guy just cracked the roster this year and he did well but he still has a ways to go.

Hurts Tillie IMO. He was primed to show out on the biggest stage.

Quote Originally Posted by Zagricultural View Post
    Hurts Tillie IMO. He was primed to show out on the biggest stage.
    Agreed, he's going to be viewed/labeled as injury prone going into the draft.

Quote Originally Posted by ZagRecruitWatch View Post
    No chance he's ever a lottery pick. Sorry. Petrusev gone, Ayayi back.

I hope they both come back. It was awesome to see the improvement of both from last season. I just don't see the NBA in Petrusev's future. He's a tweener for today's NBA. At his size, he needs to either be a banger, defender, rim protector type or a shooter out to and including 3 pointers. I hope he comes back and either adds a lot of strength to his frame or work on an outside shot as teams are leaving him unguarded at the elbow.

Unfortunately this draft will be the weakest in years so anything is possible.

The reality is Petrusev is a minus defender by a significant margin. It doesn't matter that he was the WCC POY--evaluators don't care about that. He put up good numbers in a system geared toward his offensive strengths. He should go pro and capitalize on his stock being at its highest point. Pro is just not going to be the NBA. People don't think it's the case but defense matters in the league and you have to be a transcendent offensive player if you're going to be a negative defensively, especially now when positions are being phased out. NBA teams would score on him every possession.

He had a great year and should make a lot of money playing basketball overseas. Good for him! We have young talent waiting and it's best for both parties if Petrusev moves on.

Shem post-GU is instructive on Petro's chances in the NBA -- that is, close to zero. He's nowhere near the physical force Shem was, overall. Petro is a much weaker defender and passer and oh those FTs. Maybe he has better O skills here and there, but not NBA quality. Still, he will have a good career in Europe. Joel will be dynamite after another year, maybe sneak into first round.

NBA game is not for Petro's type of play. He isn't athletic enough, D isn't that great, etc. NBA is spacing and speed. Guys like Sabonis do well because of work ethic, brains and hustle. Petro is gone, but that's probably because he just wants to go back to Europe and play for some money, be done with school.

Joel can play in the league. Fast as lightening. Great leaper, can shoot. He needs to be seasoned a bit, he is young and GU is the place for that. He'll be back.

Quote Originally Posted by U Zig, I Zag View Post
    Guys like Sabonis do well because of work ethic, brains and hustle.
    And unselfish. Petro needed way too many touches and shots to score his 16-17 ppg.

Quote Originally Posted by U Zig, I Zag View Post
    NBA game is not for Petro's type of play. He isn't athletic enough, D isn't that great, etc. NBA is spacing and speed. Guys like Sabonis do well because of work ethic, brains and hustle. Petro is gone, but that's probably because he just wants to go back to Europe and play for some money, be done with school.

Joel can play in the league. Fast as lightening. Great leaper, can shoot. He needs to be seasoned a bit, he is young and GU is the place for that. He'll be back.
    You are so right about Petro.
    I dont agree with you that Joel is a great leaper, in fact I think that is one of the biggest reasons why he wont get drafted this year. ( huge fan of his game though)