View Poll Results: Will we have a 2020 tourney in the next 2 months?

Voters
118. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

35 29.66%
  • No

83 70.34%
Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Do you expect any form of NCAA tournament?

Default Do you expect any form of NCAA tournament?

Will even a spectatorless or abbreviated version go on?

Not if any NCAA players or coaches get it.

And that's looking like a distinct possibility for Nebraska.

O/T, but I just texted my supervisors at my part time job. I asked them to get guidance from management, due to the events that have transpired since I finished my shift at 3 today.

Its done imo.
    Love the zags for life

Nope.

They are 3 days from canceling it altogether. IMO.

College kids living in dorms, very few tests out there, very soon several players will test positive, perhaps many, and that will be it. Tournament canceled. Absolute tragedy for our kids who have earned the right to play for NC

If Kansas were to lose in their tournament and GU move to No. 1, maybe a movement to crown them NC and it won't mean much at all, no more than what they've earned already.

I am sick for the kids, but it's the only choice to be made.
    Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect.
    Mark Twain.

Can they move it to may or june?
    Love the zags for life

After seeing Fred Hoiberg tonight, I wouldn't be surprised cancellations come soon. Absolutely selfish and reckless for him to be coaching tonight

Quote Originally Posted by DixieZag View Post
    Nope.

They are 3 days from canceling it altogether. IMO.

College kids living in dorms, very few tests out there, very soon several players will test positive, perhaps many, and that will be it. Tournament canceled. Absolute tragedy for our kids who have earned the right to play for NC

If Kansas were to lose in their tournament and GU move to No. 1, maybe a movement to crown them NC and it won't mean much at all, no more than what they've earned already.

I am sick for the kids, but it's the only choice to be made.
    Dixie, there is likely to be overwhelming pressure on the conferences to cancel the remaining tournaments. Developments have moved rapidly in just the past 8 hours.

Quote Originally Posted by TexasZagFan View Post
    Dixie, there is likely to be overwhelming pressure on the conferences to cancel the remaining tournaments. Developments have moved rapidly in just the past 8 hours.
    I agree totally.

I was saying "if"

But yes. I agree.

And it doesn't matter anyway.

No team wants a bestowed NC w/o winning six games on the biggest stage.
    Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect.
    Mark Twain.

Most major campuses in VA are not letting students return after spring break and moving to virtual classes. UVA, and VT among them.
    'I found it is the small everyday deeds of ordinary folk that keep the darkness at bay… small acts of kindness and love.'
    - Gandalf the Grey

Foo Time

I only say yes because most players are so young and healthy that symptoms would be less than terrible on the whole. Now when one of the coaches gets it...…. then all bets are off.
    Krozman
    GU student 1996-2000
    Law Student 2000-2003

MDABE80? DoctorZag? You both have touted your medical credentials and claimed that Covid-19 is overblown and basically similar to the standard to seasonal flu or H1N1.

Any thoughts?

Quote Originally Posted by LTownZag View Post
    MDABE80? DoctorZag? You both have touted your medical credentials and claimed that Covid-19 is overblown and basically similar to the standard to seasonal flu or H1N1.

Any thoughts?
    I voted no. This thing is escalating every day. It's one of the characteristics of this virus. It spreads really fast. I have followed this very closely, for a couple weeks now, every day. If you don't think this is serious you are closed minded. The experts in this area, which is whom we should be listening to, agree that it's going to get worse, and it's going to get worse real fast. Because there is not a vaccine for it, and won't be won for like six months, the best way to fight this virus is called containment. The idea of containment is to do everything in our power to stay out of it's range for as long as we can. My hope is that we Gonzaga alumni, use our intelligence the way we were taught....to have an open mind and not be arrogant and selfish. You all know how much I love the Zags, but I like all human life more. That's my responsibility. If we can save one life, it's worth it. If we can save 100 lives it's really worth it, If we can save 1000 lives why wouldn't we be willing to do whatever is necessary to save a life.

No one will be happy if it's called off. I will not be. But I will survive and do what I can to save lives and defeat this dang virus. I think that that is to be our goal now. Do what we can to win this battle with this virus. Let's not be closed minded. Let's cooperative and be as positive and understanding as we can be. Remember! We ARE Zags. We are in a crisis, brothers and sisters, a national and international one. So let's ban together and win this bigger battle against this virus. SAVE LIVES>

Go Zags!!!
    Go Zags!!! The Best Is Yet To Come!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Zags11 View Post
    Can they move it to may or june?
    Nope, players will have graduated by then. Life moves on.

Quote Originally Posted by tummydoc View Post
    Nope, players will have graduated by then. Life moves on.
    Think of all the major league players that lost years of their careers during WWII. Ted Williams is the first to come to mind...he was a Marine fighter pilot for 5 years.

ETA: you can't just flip the switch back on, IMO.

Pac-12 tourney is still on, just with no fans starting tomorrow. How is March Madness any different? I say play the games.

I think the tournament will happen will small groups attending the games.

People are going to realize in a few days that everyone can't just not stop their regular routine without society breaking down. Kids will have to go to school so their parents can work. People will have to work because they are living paycheck to paycheck. The threat of commerce (and our just-it-time supply chains) failing is much higher than the threat of people getting sick; even when some of them die.

This virus appears to be worse than any flu we've seen in our lifetimes but it's not that much worse. We are coming out of flu season so people will cope because there isn't any other choice. This is a marathon, not a sprint.

Reborn,"worse" is a poor choice of words to describe the natural history of this pandemic. It is going to get more prevalent, but the mortality rate will likely drop as we account for the mildly sick affected like the NBA player. And containment is a popular political position but not a valid scientific position. Containment by quarantine is equivalent to containing the world trade center by closing the fire doors. It may SLOW the progression, but spread is inevitable until a large fraction of the population has been exposed/immune and then "herd immunity" will slow progression. In vaccination studies you need >85% vaccinated to protect the remaining population. I think quarantine is going to prolong a 3-6 month pandemic to a 12-15 month pandemic unless vaccination is successful (trials are starting now at UW).

I say likely not because of liability and risk management. The schools and NCAA won't want to get sued for millions if people are exposed with bad outcomes.
    To Fish & Game: Keep streams stocked well for Mr. Few!

Twitter news on the Nebraska coach:
    Matt Reynoldson
    @MattReynKLKN
    ·
    9m
    A conjunction of information from sources and other reports:

Fred Hoiberg was released from a hospital in Indianapolis after testing negative for a preliminary coronavirus screening. Source said flu symptoms. Team was released from locker room and is back at the hotel.
    “When I get a little money I buy books; and if any is left I buy food and clothes.”

~ Desiderius Erasmus

Quote Originally Posted by Radbooks View Post
    Twitter news on the Nebraska coach:

I love march madness.
    Love the zags for life

Reborn,"worse" is a poor choice of words to describe the natural history of this pandemic. It is going to get more prevalent, but the mortality rate will likely drop as we account for the mildly sick affected like the NBA player. And containment is a popular political position but not a valid scientific position. Containment by quarantine is equivalent to containing the world trade center by closing the fire doors. It may SLOW the progression, but spread is inevitable until a large fraction of the population has been exposed/immune and then "herd immunity" will slow progression. In vaccination studies you need >85% vaccinated to protect the remaining population. I think quarantine is going to prolong a 3-6 month pandemic to a 12-15 month pandemic unless vaccination is successful (trials are starting now at UW).
    That's kind of the point, I think. Slow the progression such that you don't get a gigantic wave of infected over 3 months, but a slower (but still concerning) wave of people over 12 months so that health care authorities can manage it better. I dunno, I thought that's what i heard, not trying to start anything.
    Krozman
    GU student 1996-2000
    Law Student 2000-2003

Containment is to flatten the curve. Limit the number of simultaneous severe cases that require hospitalization at one time.

I think we’ll have some sort of tourney. Immediate staff, TV folk and the teams. They can be monitored for temps, etc at the facilities and hotels.

Getting from schools to the sites and the local travel might be the toughest test.

If they cancel, I think it’s not necessarily from out and out fear, more likely the logistics and a short window.

Sorry. I disagree with your assumptions and conclusion. I'm glad that I've listened to some "scientists" and doctors that you have not. There is no indication that the deaths are going to GO DOWN. Yes at some point they will go down, once the virus is contained. I do agree with you that spread is inevitable, and that a large part of the population will have become exposed and then become immune to it....that's seems true. Where I disagree with you is you saying it will be a small fraction that will be exposed. I'm listening to it right now, and they are saying that 300 million people will be exposed and 30 million people will need care....and we are not prepared for that kind of thing. I hope the people that i'm listening to are wrong. I hope it is only a fraction, but imo the biggest problem is people like you who minimize this whole thing.

You talk about the care for the mildly sick....How about the very sick. The people who will need hospitalization. What are we going to do about them. I also disagree that the idea of containment is a political idea, and not scientific. I am listening to a scientist right now. The idea of containment is to keep the virus at bay, in some sense (I"m probably using the wrong term) so that not every one of us get this virus at the same time, because if we all do get it at the same time ( which you seem to support) we will NEVER have the ability to care for us as a people. The idea of containment is to have some get it, and get over it, and then others get it and get over it, and on and on, so that our health industry can deal with the people a little at a time.

Thanks for your input though. I'm glad you want to be a part of this discussion.
    Go Zags!!! The Best Is Yet To Come!!!