Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: NCAA: No fans allowed at tournament games.

Quote Originally Posted by NEC26 View Post
    I'm going to have to keep Ltownzags prediction of hundreds of thousands of deaths in America this year. That prediction is over the top silliness.
    I'm just going to post this excerpt from the article I posted:
    For example: Why was H1N1 allowed to spread around the world more or less unchecked, while countries are going to far greater lengths to try to halt Covid-19? Why did the WHO call H1N1 a pandemic but not Covid-19? Isn’t 12,469 deaths a lot worse than the 26 that have been attributed to Covid-19 in the U.S. so far?

That last one is the simplest to answer: Covid-19 is near the beginning of its spread in the U.S., and thus cannot be compared with H1N1’s effect over a full year. If the U.S. death toll from Covid-19 is only 12,469 a year from now, that will likely be counted as a great success. The legitimate worry is that it could be many, many times higher, because Covid-19 is so much deadlier for those who get it than the 2009 H1N1 influenza was.

How much deadlier is still unknown, but of the cases reported to the WHO so far 3.4% have resulted in fatalities. That’s probably misleadingly high because there are so many unreported cases, and in South Korea, which has done the best job of keeping up with the spread of the virus through testing, the fatality rate so far is about 0.7%. But even that is 35 times worse than H1N1 in 2009 and 2010. Multiply 12,469 by 35 and you get 436,415 — which would amount to the biggest U.S. infectious-disease death toll since the 1918 flu. Hospitalization rates are also many times higher for Covid-19, meaning that if it spread as widely as H1N1 it would overwhelm the U.S. health-care system.
    Agent provocateur

Quote Originally Posted by Zagceo View Post
    Worldwide, up to 575,400 people died from pandemic H1N1 swine flu.

and we never shut down sporting events.....just saying

I got a vaccine for H1N1. Is there a vaccine for CV?
    Bring back the OCC

Holy cow, run for the hills we are all going to die. What utter nonsense.

Nobody has made that claim. What is the death rate that you expect, in 5 years, will be the scientific consensus for Covid-19's first year among humans? Do you want to provide any specific predictions, or just generally attack strawman versions of claims nobody made? I merely stated that .2% (2-in-1000) is an extremely low end of the current estimates, and even that is 10x the H1N1 rate.

I'm going to have to keep Ltownzags prediction of hundreds of thousands of deaths in America this year. That prediction is over the top silliness.
    Within 1 year of today (so by 3/11/2021) there will absolutely be 200,000+ deaths domestically.

If you are so confident that there will not be, would you be willing to publicly bet $100 and all money goes to Dickie V's children's cancer charity? I would.

You said hundreds of thousands of Americans would die in the next year.
    Yes. I stand by that claim. read above. Would you like to bet? All money goes to children's cancer charity? Or prefer to not back up your position with anything of value?

Done deal.

Quote Originally Posted by gu03alum View Post
    Nope. 12 - 18 months out.

Quote Originally Posted by RenoZag View Post
    Nope. 12 - 18 months out.
    Heard china said april possibly.
    Love the zags for life

Quote Originally Posted by Zags11 View Post
    Heard china said april possibly.
    Where did you hear this?

Since it's so far from all other estimates, i am essentially calling your bluff or your willful misremembering.

Any source at all?

320,000,000 us population assume 50% become infected. = 160,000,000 infected. 3% death rate = 4.8 million dead... Ok that seems high... lets assume only 15% of the pop is infected because we are being cautious... 15% x 320m = 48m x 3% death rate = 1.4m dead.

Quote Originally Posted by FlyZag View Post
    You do realize that we are just at the beginning of this. We are approximately 50+ days behind China. Watch this Joe Rogan clip where he brings in an expert to explain the virus in a non-politically charged way we can all understand.

https://youtu.be/cZFhjMQrVts
    Thank you for sharing.
    Bring back the OCC

Wonder how much of this is protection from liability vs actual concern for public health. Is this the next great lawsuit avenue waiting to happen, people getting sick any time in public if the business didn't do everything imaginable under the sun to protect patrons.

Off to the store to buy another 1,600 rolls of toilet paper, that's what the media told me to do. baaaaaa baaaaaaaa

Quote Originally Posted by FlyZag View Post
    320,000,000 us population assume 50% become infected. = 160,000,000 infected. 3% death rate = 4.8 million dead... Ok that seems high... lets assume only 15% of the pop is infected because we are being cautious... 15% x 320m = 48m x 3% death rate = 1.4m dead.
    Those #s look high, but if a third of the country is infected at some point in the next year, and it kills 2-in-1000 (.2%) that's 220,000.

Just among americans over 75 (22 million) if it kills 1%, that's 220,000.

Quote Originally Posted by LTownZag View Post
    Those #s look high, but if a third of the country is infected at some point in the next year, and it kills 2-in-1000 (.02%) that's 220,000.

Just among americans over 75 (22 million) if it kills 1%, that's 220,000.
    .2% is the number you're looking for, but otherwise that all checks out.

Fortunately, this is something that most experts believe we can slow down, but that requires us doing all the things people are complaining are signs of panic.
    Agent provocateur

It is not just the risk to individual's health, but the risk to the health care system.
    Italy's medical professionals are living a hellish existence as they are inundated with patients. A few weeks ago they had plenty of resources, now they don't have enough ICU spots.

I'm not at risk to die given my age/health. But I do think we should take steps to slow (reduce) the spread for the sake of the immune compromised AND health care providers. We want to have an experience closer to South Korea than Italy.

Quote Originally Posted by sonuvazag View Post
    .2% is the number you're looking for, but otherwise that all checks out.

Fortunately, this is something that most experts believe we can slow down, but that requires us doing all the things people are complaining are signs of panic.
    right, thanks! .2% = 2 in 1000

COVID-19 is ten times as deadly as the flu.

Source - KREMTV
    Parlez-vous français?

Excellent article - should especially be of value to

MDAbe80, DoctorZag (since they are both MDs) as well and NEC26, Zags11, and CPkZagFan.

https://medium.com/@tomaspueyo/coron...e-f4d3d9cd99ca

Excellent article - should especially be of value to

MDAbe80, DoctorZag (since they are both MDs) as well and NEC26, Zags11, and CPkZagFan.

https://medium.com/@tomaspueyo/coron...e-f4d3d9cd99ca
    Why bring me up?
    Love the zags for life

I love how everyone is an infectious disease expert right now I’m just gonna do what I always do, prepare for the worst and hope for the best.
    "There is always some kid who may be seeing me for the first time. I owe him my best."--Joe DiMaggio

Quote Originally Posted by gu03alum View Post
    Working on it.

https://www.statnews.com/2020/03/02/...n-development/

Quote Originally Posted by hooter73 View Post
    Well he's a Doctor and I'm an EMT and agree with him so....
    So what? Being an EMT or a doctor doesn't mean you're any sort of an authority on the coronavirus.
    Unless you're a doctor trained in a specialty related to infectious disease or epidemiology, your credentials are irrelevant.

Where did you hear this?

Since it's so far from all other estimates, i am essentially calling your bluff or your willful misremembering.

Any source at all?
    Chill out with ur anger.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/nypost....cials-say/amp/
    Love the zags for life

So apparently the GU womens coach agrees this is an overreaction. Called it insanity actually. GU doesn't seem too happy about it and my guess is Few isn't either.

Anyone dead from their trip to Las Vegas yet?

Anyone dead from their trip to Las Vegas yet?
    You have no clue what you're taking about, do you?