Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: NCAA: No fans allowed at tournament games.

Default NCAA: No fans allowed at tournament games.

They will continue to monitor and make adjustments as needed.

Probably for the best health wise for the country, but its a shame that we finally get the Spokane regional when we as fans can't make a difference in the stands.

Bad luck. As somebody else posted the other day..."Maybe God IS a Gael"

ZZ

For the best. It’s incredible working in a medical center right now, seeing the amount of work that is being done to prepare. Basketball takes a backseat, but at least the games will go on. I do think home court advantage still means something, fwiw.

Quote Originally Posted by zagfan24 View Post
    For the best. It’s incredible working in a medical center right now, seeing the amount of work that is being done to prepare. Basketball takes a backseat, but at least the games will go on. I do think home court advantage still means something, fwiw.
    It does, our team won't have to travel and can sleep in their home beds. Having no fans there when 80% of the fans would have been Gonzaga fans is still super sad to think about.

How have the Zags done in empty arenas?

Well, they smoked Michigan State in the closed "secret"scrimmage. Manhandled them.

These upcoming games won't be quite as "secret" and there will be more on the line. But the atmosphere will be about the same.

"To be continued ....."
    Father Tony Lehman, SJ

I wonder if this will limit the number of upsets we normally see when fans get behind the underdog.
    “When I get a little money I buy books; and if any is left I buy food and clothes.”

~ Desiderius Erasmus

Same with the impact on the refs.

Quote Originally Posted by Radbooks View Post
    I wonder if this will limit the number of upsets we normally see when fans get behind the underdog.
    I am very interested to see how it impacts upsets. Have to watch Vegas.
    'I found it is the small everyday deeds of ordinary folk that keep the darkness at bay… small acts of kindness and love.'
    - Gandalf the Grey

Foo Time

It's going to be so eerie.

Just think of the sounds you're going to hear through the broadcast. We'll probably be able to hear the player's talking, the coaches, and the specific voices from the small amount of fans. It's going to be mostly squeaking shoes and a few voices and that's it.
    "You miss 100% of the shots you don't take."
    -Zach Norvell Jr.

Yahoo Sports' Dan Wetzel thinks the possibility of outright cancellation exists due to liability concerns:

They cautioned, however, that there is one factor that could change everything … and it’s not just the will or want of the NCAA to have the games played.

It’s not even the coronavirus itself.

It’s lawsuits over the coronavirus.

“You have to consider any possible lawsuit by an athlete or coach who was required to attend, but got very sick,” said one ACC athletic director.

“That’s the world we live in these days,” echoed an SEC athletic director. “I just heard someone got off the Princess Cruise in California and already sued somebody. They want to blame someone. [A lawsuit] would be something that had to be considered.”

The concern is that by having teams play, athletes on scholarship and coaches under contract would essentially be forced to travel for work and then compete in close vicinity with others (the players, mostly). Even if there were no fans in the arena, the players breathing and sweating on each other could heighten the risk of infection.

If someone gets extremely sick, or worse, then is there liability? What if it is a player who was headed toward the NBA and couldn’t properly prepare for the draft and potentially lost future income? Or never play again?
    Story Link: https://sports.yahoo.com/after-first...225922504.html

I wonder how it will affect all those folks who bought tickets and resold them (they should refund back to the card of the original purchaser --so the folks who bought on the secondary market might be short on luck). The folks who bought them on StubHub etc.

Quote Originally Posted by hockeyzag View Post
    Agreed... It will definitely lack the emotion without the fans. Bummer.

If it’s a pandemic and everyone is at risk...... raking in TV money while exposing teams to travel and hotels seems short sighted.

Can’t have it both ways imo

I wonder if it will feel hollow if we got deep.

I hope not.

I also hope that they play the tournament at all at this point. Let's say Kansas loses in semi-final of their tournament and GU is number one and would be the number one seed in the overall tournament - it would suck if they were awarded the NC based on that alone.
    Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect.
    Mark Twain.

Quote Originally Posted by RenoZag View Post
    Yahoo Sports' Dan Wetzel thinks the possibility of outright cancellation exists due to liability concerns:

Story Link: https://sports.yahoo.com/after-first...225922504.html
    This was written prior to this adjustment. I would be absolutely shocked if they went a step further and cancelled the tournament. The NCAA has insurance that can cover losses at the gate, they aren't going to walk away from the television money. It's going to weird to have limited number of people at the game, but at least there will be games (I fully expect this to be the case).

One immediate thought I had is that HS, college and NBA players spend far, far more time playing (practicing) in empty gyms than they do on the "big stage" of a packed arena. Does that mean a) they play differently as subconsciously the game feels "less serious" or b) it's no big deal because it's so familiar? Agree with CDC's point re: the MSU closed scrimmage as a possible comp.
    Your children have been placed in the custody of...Carl's Jr.

https://twitter.com/ralphDrussoAP/st...48493483425792

Games will likely be moved out of giant arenas to smaller ones

Quote Originally Posted by Zagdawg View Post
    I wonder how it will affect all those folks who bought tickets and resold them (they should refund back to the card of the original purchaser --so the folks who bought on the secondary market might be short on luck). The folks who bought them on StubHub etc.
    Believe Stubhub is offering those who bought tickets a coupon worth 130% of purchase to use towards future events over the next year OR a refund. If a refund, Sellers will have their credit card charged back, leaving it to them to get money back from original seller. Stu hub has a FAQ re this.

But you are right, could get messy for certain re-sellers and buyers.

Thumbs down

Hotels, airlines, restaurants, taverns, tourist sites, communities suffer total losses. But by all means, let us save the profits for the NCAA and the media and the advertisers (sarcasm dripping here).

How about a tax or fee for these vultures? My empathies lie with the teams, players, coaches and fans.

The games may go on, but they will adversely affected. Get out the bins of asterisks. Pretending that all is normal is sophistry.

Thanks 2019-20 Zags for your grit and a hell of a ride. The bizarre ending of the season is not within your control, and not your fault. Overcoming challenges has been your hallmark. Your fans will continue their support. It’s disappointing that you will get your bows, and Mark Few his 600th win in a dance game before Spokane fans. Irreplaceable moment denied.

Go Zags!!! You make us proud!
    O
    Last edited by TravelinZag; 03-11-2020 at 02:02 PM. Reason: Spelling

A record number of coaches will be T'd up because every word they say will be echo'd in the eardrums of the refs.
    Krozman
    GU student 1996-2000
    Law Student 2000-2003

Fine to play in front of crowds today ??? But next week no??? So much for baseball season.

Quote Originally Posted by CaliZag44 View Post
    https://twitter.com/ralphDrussoAP/st...48493483425792

Games will likely be moved out of giant arenas to smaller ones
    Since the panic has even set in for the NCAA, why not take it all the way and return the games to the local playgrounds. Imagine the ZAGS playing at one of the local parks, outside............back to the essence of the game. I know that is virtually impossible for the first round(s) due to weather concerns, but how about early April in Atlanta. That would be really cool, and a very unique opportunity. Make lemonade out of lemons............

Go ZAGS

Quote Originally Posted by doctorzag View Post
    Its the flu. Everyone is about as at risk as they are anytime of the year. Big Hoax.
    Extremely ignorant statement.

Quote Originally Posted by hockeyzag View Post

Just think of the sounds you're going to hear through the broadcast. We'll probably be able to hear the player's talking, the coaches, and the specific voices from the small amount of fans. It's going to be mostly squeaking shoes and a few voices and that's it.
    You mean sorta like a Huskies’ game?
    'I found it is the small everyday deeds of ordinary folk that keep the darkness at bay… small acts of kindness and love.'
    - Gandalf the Grey

Foo Time