Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Zags in Spokane Rnd 1 & 2......

Quote Originally Posted by LTownZag View Post
    Just because someone is under 60 or doesn’t die is a stupid and irresponsible reason (yes) to think there’s not enormous harm in them getting infected. They will spread the virus to those who will die. They will survive but overload the medical capacity in key time windows.

But as to your first point, which politicians or non fringe/conspiracy media folks are more concerned or acting with more “panic” than the median viewpoint from the medical community? If anything, the political and media response and view has been less concerned and dramatic than the medical experts have been asking them to be.
    +1

https://www.vice.com/en_us/article/5...-hands-for-now

Dr. Joseph Eisenberg, who chairs the epidemiology department at the University of Michigan’s school of public health, said the NCAA should consider the timing of the tournament.

“I think at this point we're at this critical stage of this outbreak in the U.S. where we really want to do everything we can to minimize transmission for the next two to three weeks,” he said. “I think one of the major ways to do that is to limit travel and also minimize or cancel large events. Campuses are now very quickly doing that with respect to classes,” he said citing a few of the dozens of colleges that have cancelled in-person classes.

“If you look at South Korea’s [infection rate] where it built up and then plateaued very quickly, we want to look more like that, rather than Italy, where it's rising and no plateau so far.”

Dr. Shenglan Tang, the deputy director of the Duke Global Health Institute, agreed.

“My suggestion is to be cautious,” he said. "You cancel the event, and you may have economic loss in the moment, but if you go ahead with the event you can have lots of people infected by the coronavirus and the potential economic loss can be much much bigger. My position is you've got to be cautious about that and not focus on the short-term economic loss."

Quote Originally Posted by CPkZagFan View Post
    Why is it that the politicians and news media are far more panicked about this than medical health professionals. Could it be that they know far more about this
    virus than they don't know, they know how to treat it and most of those who have died in this country are over 60 and had health issues already. I live in the Austin, Texas
    area and the mayor decided to cancel South by Southwest (huge event) because of coronavirus fears. Just three days ago he saw the effects and made this statement, "You can help.
    Go out to eat, drink & listen to live music. Support the artists, businesses, and working people who make Austin special." I did just that (not that I was living in fear anyway) and
    the restaurant I was at was full.

The tourney should go on. When have we ever been able to contain the common cold and flu? Lets just concentrate on treating those who are ill.
    GO ZAGS!!!!! I would hate to see them playing in an empty stadium, especially in Spokane.
    After retiring from the Federal Government in Emergency Management, my two cents worth is as follows:

1. There is no vaccine and it will be months before one is available.

2. The virus isn’t that dangerous to healthy people but it is significantly dangerous to the elderly.

3. It is likely that at some point we will all be exposed to the virus. Because the virus has more severe consequences to at risk populations than the common flu (which many of us get vaccinated for), those people will place a significant strain on our capacity to treat the number of people effected.

4. The precautions being taken won’t stop the spread of the virus, they are hoping that they will slow the spread to allow the health care system a fighting chance to treat everyone that is significantly impacted. It isn’t at all about stopping the virus, it is about giving those health responders a fighting chance to save as many of the at risk people as possible.

5. So, while you may feel it is all overblown, remember please that it isn’t necessarily about you. Do your best, wash your hands, avoid crowds, and most importantly don’t buy any more toilet paper, it is a respiratory disease!

State of Ohio, first to drop the bomb.
    Quote Originally Posted by Coach Few
    We are not here as a #%$&%&! Courtesy!!!

Quote Originally Posted by scott257 View Post
    ... and most importantly don’t buy any more toilet paper, it is a respiratory disease!
    LOL.

Thanks.
    'I found it is the small everyday deeds of ordinary folk that keep the darkness at bay… small acts of kindness and love.'
    - Gandalf the Grey

Foo Time

It’s hard [ edit: almost inconceivable ] to imagine that any ncaa tourney games, if kept on their scheduled dates, will be played with fans in the stands.
    Last edited by LTownZag; 03-11-2020 at 02:45 PM.

Here's another excerpt from the article you "linked". I added the "bolded" effect for emphasis.

Dr. Carlos del Rio, the chair of the global health department at Emory ... gave an interview to the Washington Post a week ago in which he said that the NCAA was making a “business decision” about the tournament and stressed the evolving and unpredictable nature of the coronavirus. He said:

“If the tournament was today — except for places like Spokane or Washington, where you may have some questions — I would say: ‘Go on. There’s no concern,’ ” del Rio said. “But will that change? It may. I would have never predicted we’d be where we are with Italy. And yet we are. Nobody a month ago would have in their wildest dreams said, ‘Italy is going to be a disaster.’"

IMO We are skating on some thin ice as to whether fans will be able to attend the NCAA tourney in Spokane. In this news environment, 1 week of time is an eternity.
    "Those who believe in telekinetics, raise my hand."
    —Kurt Vonnegut

Quote Originally Posted by ProVeeZag View Post
    Here's another excerpt from the article you "linked". I added the "bolded" effect for emphasis.

Dr. Carlos del Rio, the chair of the global health department at Emory ... gave an interview to the Washington Post a week ago in which he said that the NCAA was making a “business decision” about the tournament and stressed the evolving and unpredictable nature of the coronavirus. He said:

“If the tournament was today — except for places like Spokane or Washington, where you may have some questions — I would say: ‘Go on. There’s no concern,’ ” del Rio said. “But will that change? It may. I would have never predicted we’d be where we are with Italy. And yet we are. Nobody a month ago would have in their wildest dreams said, ‘Italy is going to be a disaster.’"

IMO We are skating on some thin ice as to whether fans will be able to attend the NCAA tourney in Spokane. In this news environment, 1 week of time is an eternity.
    Seattle is closing public schools for two weeks:

All Schools Closed Starting March 12
    Starting Thursday, March 12, Seattle Public Schools will be closed for a minimum of 14 calendar days.

Beginning Thursday all school building activities including school day instruction, childcare, health services, enrichment, etc. are canceled until further notice.

https://www.seattleschools.org/distr...navirus_update

The GUB Resource Library: Stats, Blogs, Brackets, & More. . .

Respect the Game. Respect the Zags. Respect each other.

I think Mark Emmertt just announced the tournament will be closed to audiences. Only close family.

Jon Rothstein
    @JonRothstein
    ·
    4m
    NCAA President Mark Emmert has released a statement saying that the NCAA Tournament will be held with only essential staff and limited family in attendance.

Statement from the NCAA COVID-19 Advisory Panel on NCAA events
    March 11, 2020 4:15pm
    The NCAA COVID-19 Advisory Panel recognizes the fluidity of COVID-19 and its impact on hosting events in a public space. COVID-19 is spreading rapidly in the United States, and behavioral risk mitigation strategies are the best option for slowing the spread of this disease. This is especially important because mildly symptomatic individuals can transmit COVID-19. Given these considerations, coupled with a more unfavorable outcome of COVID-19 in older adults – especially those with underlying chronic medical conditions – we recommend against sporting events open to the public. We do believe sport events can take place with only essential personnel and limited family attendance, and this protects our players, employees, and fans.

https://www.ncaa.org/about/resources...el-ncaa-events

well shoot... it's official. All NCAA (first round) games will be played without fans

Quote Originally Posted by Zag_Dad View Post
    well shoot... it's official. All NCAA (first round) games will be played without fans
    So much for playing in front of a home crowd in Spokane. How long until Gonzaga gets a 1 seed again with a chance to play in its home city? Probably never happens again.

Quote Originally Posted by ZagsObserver View Post
    I think Mark Emmertt just announced the tournament will be closed to audiences. Only close family.
    Yep...this absolutely sucks! Brutal for our Zags being right in our backyard

Quote Originally Posted by CaliZag44 View Post
    So much for playing in front of a home crowd in Spokane. How long until Gonzaga gets a 1 seed again with a chance to play in its home city? Probably never happens again.
    I wouldn’t be surprised if they do a makeup for the host cities at a future tournament.

Quote Originally Posted by ZagOD7540 View Post
    Yep...this absolutely sucks! Brutal for our Zags being right in our backyard
    Well, at least they are not negotiating airports and planes for that week.
    'I found it is the small everyday deeds of ordinary folk that keep the darkness at bay… small acts of kindness and love.'
    - Gandalf the Grey

Foo Time

At least they are having the tournament at this point in time. By limiting the spectators has seemed the most likely outcome as this week unfolded.

Us 3 WCC teams that are used to playing in small gyms like Pepperdine, Loyola Marymount, SMC are going to have an advantage. I doubt they keep the games at these huge arenas, they are likely going to be played in small, intimate arenas now.

Quote Originally Posted by CaliZag44 View Post
    Us 3 WCC teams that are used to playing in small gyms like Pepperdine, Loyola Marymount, SMC are going to have an advantage. I doubt they keep the games at these huge arenas, they are likely going to be played in small, intimate arenas now.
    No they won't. Do you think they are going to play in a junior high gym???

Quote Originally Posted by ZagOD7540 View Post
    No they won't. Do you think they are going to play in a junior high gym???
    Some of these games are scheduled in Football Stadiums. No way that happens now.

Where else would they play in Spokane? It's not like they're going to move games to the Kennel.
    "You miss 100% of the shots you don't take."
    -Zach Norvell Jr.

Quote Originally Posted by hockeyzag View Post
    Where else would they play in Spokane? It's not like they're going to move games to the Kennel.
    They should - as long as they could accommodate logistically including multiple locker rooms, etc.
    Quote Originally Posted by Coach Few
    We are not here as a #%$&%&! Courtesy!!!

Wait--- aren't we all part of the Zag family here in Spokane (wonder if that will work).

Quote Originally Posted by rennis View Post
    They should - as long as they could accommodate logistically including multiple locker rooms, etc.
    They're not going to let the #1 seed play NCAA tournament games at their home gym. That's too much of an advantage.
    "You miss 100% of the shots you don't take."
    -Zach Norvell Jr.

https://twitter.com/ralphDrussoAP/st...48493483425792

Games will likely be moved out of giant arenas to smaller ones