Results 1 to 16 of 16

Thread: Ayayi most outstanding player!

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Posts
    556

    Default Ayayi most outstanding player!

    Could be a blessing in disguise. Gotta think that the NBA scouts are taking notice. Hopeful he pulls a Zack Collins and has a great tournament and rises up the draft boards.

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Colville, Wa.
    Posts
    14,590

    Default

    Congrats to Joel.
    This post is for March Madness seeding purposes only.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Spokane
    Posts
    2,858

    Default

    He will be my favorite Zag next year - love my French Zags - Turiaf, Tillie, Ayayi.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Posts
    4,991

    Default

    Congrats Joel! What a long road it's been. Who knew...? Well, we got a glimpse of it during the offseason tournament and I hoped he gained some confidence and would be a contributor. I thought he was going to be a stat-sheet-filling glue guy in the mold of Dranginis but he raised his game when his team needed it most, particularly in the early season when the wounded transfers healed up. And now this. They are nice bookends so far on the season., but there is hopefully much more to come.

    It seemed fitting that he had the ball in his hands to dribble out the game.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Posts
    13,275

    Default

    He might be the greatest story of the Mark Few era. If you had asked me after last season, I would've bet that there was a 74% chance that Joel would transfer because he just was not Gonzaga good. I've never been so wrong in my life. It speaks to the value of international basketball competition to improve the confidence of players, as well as the skill of the GU coaching staff.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    sierra foothills
    Posts
    13,221

    Default

    what a second half, looked like the man out there, in a big game

    Re. CDC's comment about the value of international play, it's interesting as we've discussed that here before, for years, to mixed conclusions. But wow, Joel appears to have benefited tremendously from the experience

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Jan 2018
    Posts
    1,921

    Default

    Joel has potential to be a good NBA player. I would not be shocked to see him at least put his name in and get the feedback. As much as we all talk about Gonzaga's development of players, the NBA still has better development.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Posts
    12,249

    Default

    Great news. I'm so happy for Joel. Congrats, Joel. You deserve it. Your play was absolutely beautiful to watch. Keep it up.

    Go Zags!!!
    Go Zags!!! The Best Is Yet To Come!!!

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Zag Country
    Posts
    3,269

    Default

    Congratulations to Joel!

    I’ve had faith in his ability to succeed at Gonzaga since I saw his obvious intelligence and determination during the interview at the time of his recruitment. As for his FIBA experience, he carried the French team for two summers.
    Parlez-vous français?

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Sadly, now in south Texas
    Posts
    71

    Default

    One of many nice scenes among the post-game celebrations on the court at the Orleans Arena was between Tillie and Joel. Tillie had just finished cutting down the net, and while still on the bottom step, called over Joel. With Joel holding his MVP trophy, Tillie solemnly draped the net over Joel's head and shoulder as if crowing the victor with the spoils of conquest. The two Frenchmen shared a warm embrace and both celebrated in the moment. The rest was kind of hard to see as my eyes got a little misty for a moment. The reward of a well-fought and well-played tournament for Joel.

    While all the accolades for Joel are deserving, I have to mention the guts and toughness that Tillie showed on the court. I knew it was going to be a special night at the moment when Tillie showed great toughness by ripping the ball out of a SMC's players hands under our defensive basket part way through the second half. Great play.

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Nov 2017
    Location
    Fat City
    Posts
    284

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by CDC84 View Post
    He might be the greatest story of the Mark Few era. If you had asked me after last season, I would've bet that there was a 74% chance that Joel would transfer because he just was not Gonzaga good. I've never been so wrong in my life. It speaks to the value of international basketball competition to improve the confidence of players, as well as the skill of the GU coaching staff.
    It speaks to Joel Ayayi's talent and insane work ethic. If it was about international ball and GU's staff then this would happen with everyone else in those programs.

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Posts
    2,068

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by 10 Piece Bucket View Post
    One of many nice scenes among the post-game celebrations on the court at the Orleans Arena was between Tillie and Joel. Tillie had just finished cutting down the net, and while still on the bottom step, called over Joel. With Joel holding his MVP trophy, Tillie solemnly draped the net over Joel's head and shoulder as if crowing the victor with the spoils of conquest. The two Frenchmen shared a warm embrace and both celebrated in the moment. The rest was kind of hard to see as my eyes got a little misty for a moment. The reward of a well-fought and well-played tournament for Joel.

    While all the accolades for Joel are deserving, I have to mention the guts and toughness that Tillie showed on the court. I knew it was going to be a special night at the moment when Tillie showed great toughness by ripping the ball out of a SMC's players hands under our defensive basket part way through the second half. Great play.
    Thanks for sharing that... that is great. Saw the net around Ayayi's neck during the presser. That was Fitts that Tillie ripped the ball from - great moment.

  13. #13
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Chattaroy
    Posts
    3,744

    Default

    2 days of spiffy basketball by Joel. Watching the rest of the guys congratulating him was priceless. They were all at least as happy as he was. Quite a band of brothers up there representing GU & the WCC. The team just got off on the best foot possible for doing well back in Spokane for the Dance. They get some time to celebrate, reflect, then practice. The crowd in the Spokane Arena will be VERY supportive of the team.

    Thanks for coming to GU Joel!
    Go Zags!
    http://www.fowlplaces.com/zags/GoZagsTinySignGuyGlassesColor.png

  14. #14
    Join Date
    Mar 2019
    Posts
    273

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by caldwellzag View Post
    Joel has potential to be a good NBA player. I would not be shocked to see him at least put his name in and get the feedback. As much as we all talk about Gonzaga's development of players, the NBA still has better development.
    I have to disagree with you on this Caldwell. Compared to a decade ago, NBA organizations are much more committed to development with the creation of the G-league and two day contracts and such. Still Ayayi projects out at the top end as a late first mid second, and in those ranges you have to show up to be ready to play. You get more opportunities now as a marginal guy, but you don't get the same investment in developing skills at where he will be drafted.

  15. #15
    Join Date
    Oct 2015
    Posts
    1,412

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Ladyzag12 View Post
    I have to disagree with you on this Caldwell. Compared to a decade ago, NBA organizations are much more committed to development with the creation of the G-league and two day contracts and such. Still Ayayi projects out at the top end as a late first mid second, and in those ranges you have to show up to be ready to play. You get more opportunities now as a marginal guy, but you don't get the same investment in developing skills at where he will be drafted.
    Not sure what your point is.

    If he's drafted and is on an NBA roster, he will have professional coaching and access to the gym 24/7/365 and no other obligations. Personal coaching. Even if he plays limited minutes his development will come on an accelerated basis over college.

    He would be a fool not to test the waters and get feedback from the league. I'm rooting for him either way but I'm hoping he is enjoying the heck out of his college experience and gives it another year.

  16. #16
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Irving, TX
    Posts
    9,056

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Markburn1 View Post
    Not sure what your point is.

    If he's drafted and is on an NBA roster, he will have professional coaching and access to the gym 24/7/365 and no other obligations. Personal coaching. Even if he plays limited minutes his development will come on an accelerated basis over college.

    He would be a fool not to test the waters and get feedback from the league. I'm rooting for him either way but I'm hoping he is enjoying the heck out of his college experience and gives it another year.
    +1, perhaps he should give a call to Zach Norvell. The looming cancellation of the NCAA tournament is going to throw a wrench into this year's NBA draft.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •