Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Drew Timme: WCC Final Post-Game Discussion

Quote Originally Posted by Zag365 View Post
    Comparisons to previous players is always inexact, but in my memory of Zag players, Timme seems to have the same deceptive inside skill (vs. classic big man presence) as Zach Gourde only more so. Any comparison?
    Exactly who I thought of, 365.
    This post is for March Madness seeding purposes only.

he's got great hands too, super trait for a big, just vacuums up the ball in traffic. reminds me of Spangler

I'm guessing the conversation was something like.."Are you as glad as I am we aren't playing those clowns from BYU tonight again?"
    To Fish & Game: Keep streams stocked well for Mr. Few!

Quote Originally Posted by Zag365 View Post
    Comparisons to previous players is always inexact, but in my memory of Zag players, Timme seems to have the same deceptive inside skill (vs. classic big man presence) as Zach Gourde only more so. Maybe a bit Lechman-esque. Reborn: I think you played with or saw GL in his prime (I got there just after he graduated). Any comparison?
    I was a freshman when Lechman played for Gonzaga. He was a low post player as well. Did go to the NBA for a year or two. I got to watch him a lot as freshman couldn't play varsity, but after he graduated I did get to play with him. He stayed around with a few other players off that team to help Coach Anderson out. At the beginning of the year I was on playing with those guys as a 4th teamer...These guys were so good that they helped me move up to sixth man and then starter by mid season. Lechman was in fact one of the great centers who played for Gonzaga. He was only 6'6" but had a big arse and new how to use it. This was in the '66 '67 season, and one of the very first great Gonzaga teams. Lechman was more like Batista than Timme. I see some Zach Gourd in Timme, only Timme is 6' 10". Gourd was certainly tough, but did lack the size Timme has.

Go Zags!!!
    Go Zags!!! The Best Is Yet To Come!!!

Timme further along as a freshman than KO was his frosh year IMO, but we could see KO could shoot from distance and he shoots really well from distance today. Add that to Timme and we have another KO on our hands. KO was a terrific FT shooter too if I recall.
    To Fish & Game: Keep streams stocked well for Mr. Few!

Can you believe some of us used Sean Mallon as a comparison for Timme back in November??

Nothing at ALL against Sean Mallon, but we were comparing 5th yr Senior Mallon to Timme back then, and it wasnt a bad comparison at all!

But Timme grew so much that he is his own archetype. He's more athletic than Gourde, but not as strong as 4th yr junior Olynyk, but plays with great intensity, has post up moves, enough lift where he's not a plodder, VERY good defender for a freshman big at this stage vs ball screens, blocks shots, and is a team player. Maybe only Sabonis and Karnowski freshman year's can match. Who else was like that as a freshman at GU?

No one.

The others were all raw or maybe had 1 main skill at that time and the other parts of their game were way down the list. I think he can be a Luka Garza type, because he's only going to get stronger, improve FTs, add some range.