Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Drew Timme: WCC Final Post-Game Discussion

Default Drew Timme: WCC Final Post-Game Discussion

I've been excited to see him play since his signing day and he has stepped up and been so much fun to watch. I love his grit and willingness to grind and do whatever it takes to make this team better. He has a very cool swagger about himself and is the typical glue guy that Zag teams of the past have had.. His footwork and positioning reminds me of Kevin McHale's game when he played with the Celtics. He looks so poised for a true freshmen and not intimidated by anyone. Look forward to seeing him in a Zag uniform for three more years!

Quote Originally Posted by allnet59 View Post
    I've been excited to see him play since his signing day and he has stepped up and been so much fun to watch. I love his grit and willingness to grind and do whatever it takes to make this team better. He has a very cool swagger about himself and is the typical glue guy that Zag teams of the past have had.. His footwork and positioning reminds me of Kevin McHale's game when he played with the Celtics. He looks so poised for a true freshmen and not intimidated by anyone. Look forward to seeing him in a Zag uniform for three more years!
    Agree... But don't think he will be here three more years. One thing I found interesting tonight was that he was talking a lot to the SMC players - especially when lined up on free throws. I wonder what that was all about? Hadn't noticed that before. Anyone else notice that?

He's been a trash talker his whole career. He's just now starting to get the confidence to back it up.

Quote Originally Posted by CdAZagFan View Post
    Agree... But don't think he will be here three more years. One thing I found interesting tonight was that he was talking a lot to the SMC players - especially when lined up on free throws. I wonder what that was all about? Hadn't noticed that before. Anyone else notice that?
    I noticed it, and to me it looked friendly, as Timme was smiling while talking to him. My take on it at the time was that they probably knew each other pretty well from their past. Maybe high school games, maybe AAU games. Maybe they played together at some point.
    Go Zags!!! The Best Is Yet To Come!!!

It’s funny because there didn’t seem to be any animosity from either side but I wouldn’t be surprised if he was talking a little smack either.

It's been mentioned in interviews along the way that he is a goof ball and loves messing with guys on the court. In general a real vocal guy who sounds like he will talk to anyone that will listen. I liken him to the guys on the baseball field who used to chat my ear off while playing first base.

I remember a YouTube video of some high school all star game and he was very self deprecating too.

Timme has the best personality on this team, and so loose, and fun to watch him Celebrates.

Amazing how many of the experts here can't see the forest for the trees or recognize a baller... throw out the he's not athletic enough crap that was aimed at him... he is McHale-esque in his footwork and game around the rim and for a white boy who can't jump, movie reference, he sure gets to the right place to gather rebounds... his basketball IQ is off the charts, his pump fake is effective... c'mon Drew please teach it to the Wirth twins they can use your help... he was born a Zag... just took him awhile to realize it... mom and pops Timme... Thank you, he is an awesome young man with a bigger than life personality... time to step up Jazz ol buddy and lay some praise on the kid...he deserves it..

Go!! Zags!!!
    Last edited by bigblahla; 03-11-2020 at 05:33 AM.
    "Learn from the past, Plan for the future, Live in the Now!"

I watched a ton of his high school stuff. The kid is a big time local hero and he's been putting on the cape here lately as well. Love his game and his swagger.

He has been called for a fouls on it a few times over the course of the season, but he is really good at sealing off guys in the paint to open up lanes for the ball handler. He should only get better at it over his career. I remember Zags of old used to do this and it really helps for some easy buckets.

He looked very confident in the post and he is looking like a guy you have to double now. If other teams are putting their best defender on Petrusev, he is a great weapon to have on the floor at the same time at the 4 spot. I also really like him in small ball lineups because he finds the ball off the glass and is pretty mobile for a big guy.

I can't recall a Zag big who moved so well while posting up. Amazing footwork, and amazing left hand. He goes left as well as anyone in memory. Very difficult to defend. In the past, he has been ignored even when he had position down low. Hopefully, that will end now.

He does a great job of positioning his body for offensive rebounds and then holds that position once he secures the rebound. He seals off defenders so they can’t challenge his put back shots. He is a fun player to watch.

Regarding the trash talk, I got the impression that it was just playful banter with his opponents.
    MCMM 2020: Who Wants Some Cheese?

He also reminds me of J P Batista who had incredible post moves but Drew didn't have the hops to get it over the rim. Drew can actually throw it down when necessary. His basketball IQ like another post said is amazing for a freshmen. Love how he seals off his man to open lanes for the guards to drive to the basket. Doesn't get rattled and looks to me like he's having alot of fun on the court. My favorite player on this team and one that I think loves playing college ball and just might stick around a few more years.

These Zags bring out the best in one another

It’ll be hard to replace Killian - but Drew could give that a serious go. Wasn’t Drew pretty effective from 3 in HS?
    http://www.fowlplaces.com/zags/GoZagsTinySignGuyGlassesColor.png

Quote Originally Posted by bigblahla View Post
    Amazing how many of the experts here can't see the forest for the trees or recognize a baller... throw out the he's not athletic enough crap that was aimed at him... he is McHale-esque in his footwork and game around the rim and for a white boy who can't jump, movie reference, he sure gets to the right place to gather rebounds... his basketball IQ is off the charts, his pump fake is effective... c'mon Drew please teach it to the Wirth twins they can use your help... he was born a Zag... just took him awhile to realize it... mom and pops Timme... Thank you, he is an awesome young man with a bigger than life personality... time to step up Jazz ol buddy and lay some praise on the kid...he deserves it..

Go!! Zags!!!
    Love the kid, the quintessential Zag.....very slow start was disconcerting but most of the time now he's aces. In 3 years he's a deserving POY in the WCC.

Quote Originally Posted by Zagger View Post
    These Zags bring out the best in one another

It’ll be hard to replace Killian - but Drew could give that a serious go. Wasn’t Drew pretty effective from 3 in HS?
    Like I said last night, substitution Gonzaga, TIMS FOR TILS. Call it renewal.

I loved listening to Dickie V last night as he just went nuts about how he loves Timme. It was beautiful. Dickie really had me laughing my guts out because he just gets soooo excited sometimes. I haven't seen him get THAT excited in awhile. That in itself says a lot about Drew Timme. And what was so cool was that the Zags kept feeding him, and time after time Drew was performing ballet on a basketball court. His footwork is out of this world. When it comes to great low post players, it's all about footwork and having the ability to shoot with the left hand. What amazed me last night about Timme's performance was how Child's (BYU's Center) had such a hard time scoring against St Mary's. I know he got something like 23 points but he shot 20 times. IMO St Mary's victory over BYU had a lot to do with the very good defense on Childs.

Go Zags!!!
    Go Zags!!! The Best Is Yet To Come!!!

Just think what he'll be like when Travis Knight teaches him how to run and maybe even jump

I like the guy a lot and he is trending up, getting better every week. that is a good sign for a young big.

I like that beard he has. Looks like a major league baseball player.

Zags did a great job extracting him out of the Dallas area. Those kids almost always go to the Big 12, and if they are super elite, Duke and UK tend to get them. I may be wrong, but I think he was Brian Michaelson's guy. Of course Few comes in later to finish the deal.

Some idea of what Timme says during the game
    I'VE GOT WHITE BOY BUNNIES!

Quote Originally Posted by Reborn View Post
    I noticed it, and to me it looked friendly, as Timme was smiling while talking to him. My take on it at the time was that they probably knew each other pretty well from their past. Maybe high school games, maybe AAU games. Maybe they played together at some point.
    He seemed to have a real good chat with Dan Fotu more than once. Fotu grew up and played High school ball in New Zealand.

Wouldn't be surprised if Fotu is a bit like Drew, as most Kiwi's are pretty friendly (unless you get them on a Rugby pitch....)

One of the things I love about the way Timme rebounds is that his legs seem to naturally follow his eyes whereas some bigs only have their arms follow their eyes. Which means that instead of reaching over the back,etc because only the arms are following the ball, his whole body is there. This also gives him a stronger base and better balance to do something once he gets the rebound quickly rather than having to gather himself allowing the double team to come.

Timme is the ultimate team player. Leave it all an the floor even at times not as graceful as planned. He gets as much satisfaction from screening to allow a teammate to score as to scoring himself. Obviously Few trusts him allowing him to handle the ball. Very few freshman can grasp the offense and defensive strategy that Gonzaga uses. It speaks volumes about his talent and work ethic.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Reborn View Post
    I loved listening to Dickie V last night as he just went nuts about how he loves Timme. It was beautiful. Dickie really had me laughing my guts out because he just gets soooo excited sometimes. I haven't seen him get THAT excited in awhile. That in itself says a lot about Drew Timme. And what was so cool was that the Zags kept feeding him, and time after time Drew was performing ballet on a basketball court. His footwork is out of this world. When it comes to great low post players, it's all about footwork and having the ability to shoot with the left hand. What amazed me last night about Timme's performance was how Child's (BYU's Center) had such a hard time scoring against St Mary's. I know he got something like 23 points but he shot 20 times. IMO St Mary's victory over BYU had a lot to do with the very good defense on Childs.

Go Zags!!!
    Comparisons to previous players is always inexact, but in my memory of Zag players, Timme seems to have the same deceptive inside skill (vs. classic big man presence) as Zach Gourde only more so. Maybe a bit Lechman-esque. Reborn: I think you played with or saw GL in his prime (I got there just after he graduated). Any comparison?