Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Congrats To Gaels, Too

Default Congrats To Gaels, Too

For a long time we noted that they needed to get out and play people.

Well, they did. And they did well.

They consistently perform at a top level, with nothing but class, and players we'd call Zags if they were on our squad.

It is nice that this year we know they're going in next week, and should win at least one game, easily could win two.

I hope they get a nice big fat overrated BCS team to play, twice, and beat them.

Can't say how nice it is to have them deservingly in and not heart broken on a night like tonight.
    Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect.
    Mark Twain.

+1

Great post... Will definitely be rooting for them in the NCAA Tourney. Have been watching Ford in his interviews and have come away really impressed. There have been years when I loved to see them lose. But this year, will be pulling for them to go a long way.

Randy was downright gracious with our players in the handshake line. I have so much respect for them as competitors ... a sharp contrast from the Provo contingent

Ford is such a Baller. Fitts is ok, but sometimes a no-show. Ford basically took a bottom-tier WCC team and made them into an at-large bid.

I'll be following them and BYU also. Makes for an excellent tourny for me.
    If you want to be happy tomorrow, think good thoughts today--Bud Fisher

Glad to see it too, because Saint Mary's has had tournament worthy teams in the past that failed to make it because they put all their eggs in the Gonzaga basket. That was definitely not the case this year and they will be dancing because of it.

Best of Luck, Gaels!
    This post is for March Madness seeding purposes only.

Ditto go rep wcc and win some games

Quote Originally Posted by sittingon50 View Post
    Best of Luck, Gaels!
    Basketball...The Toy Department of Life

Don't mess wth happy...Coach Few

I'll give this year's version of the Gaels the best compliment I can think of.....they almost made me forget how much I hated Samhan....almost lol.
    Seriously, CONGRATULATIONS on a great season Gaels.
    On a side note, I wouldn't have complained at all if Ford had won MOP.

Quote Originally Posted by CdAZagFan View Post
    Great post... Will definitely be rooting for them in the NCAA Tourney. Have been watching Ford in his interviews and have come away really impressed. There have been years when I loved to see them lose. But this year, will be pulling for them to go a long way.
    +1. In the past I was kind of annoyed by all of the people here that rooted for SMC, because they were our biggest rival for a while and it was akin to Lakers/Celtics or Red Sox/Yankees and I couldn't fathom wanting them to succeed. I thought that in a way it was a result of co-dependence and the need for them to be good to justify our position in the basketball world. I may have been all wrong on that, and am being introspective for full disclosure and,mostly, to show how far I've come on them.

They do it the right way and have been very good with way less than a lot of other teams. Bennett gets the most out of his players, generally, and they always seem to be better as a team than the sum of their parts. They are always skilled and they play hard without straddling the border on being unsportsmanlike. Maybe the arrival of BYU and all of the associated garbage that it entails has helped my perspective.

I love watching Jordan Ford play basketball. That young man plays so hard. It amazes me that he can lead the nation in total minutes played, and still find the energy to make so many tough, acrobatic shots late in games when his team needs him to score. His physical and mental endurance are amazing. He has been a tough, crafty opponent for a long time. I hope to see him play another 3-4 games.

Quote Originally Posted by zagamatic View Post
    I'll give this year's version of the Gaels the best compliment I can think of.....they almost made me forget how much I hated Samhan....almost lol.
    Seriously, CONGRATULATIONS on a great season Gaels.
    On a side note, I wouldn't have complained at all if Ford had won MOP.
    Yep. Tear it up Gaels!

Exactly. Part of being a proud Zags fan is showing respect for the other team. The Gaels represent the WCC well, with class and dignity (unlike that team from Provo, Utah).
    UNITED WE ZAG, BAY-BEE, UNITED WE ZAG

Best of luck to the Gaels.
    "There is always some kid who may be seeing me for the first time. I owe him my best."--Joe DiMaggio

Ford and Fitz just need some help from their team who are mostly all very young, but they could still break some hearts in the tourney. Really enjoy that at least one WCC team has gotten out and played some people enough to be respected. Good luck to them moving forward

Quote Originally Posted by Martin Centre Mad Man View Post
    I love watching Jordan Ford play basketball. That young man plays so hard. It amazes me that he can lead the nation in total minutes played, and still find the energy to make so many tough, acrobatic shots late in games when his team needs him to score. His physical and mental endurance are amazing. He has been a tough, crafty opponent for a long time. I hope to see him play another 3-4 games.
    I met Jordan's dad drinking beer after the YBU game. We discussed basketball for about 1.5 hours. It was a great discussion and shed a lot of light in Jordan's thought process and drive. He wants the ball in his hands at the end of a game and feels he can win any close game. In high school, he would play every minute of just about every game and was the man defending the other teams best player. Thus, his ability to play close to 40 minutes in every game. It was a fun conversation.

Hope the Gales have a great NCAA tournament.

Best of luck in the dance -- I am a Gaels fan for the dance (unless they run into us again -- )

Go Gaels and Go Zags!

Sorry to be the outlier here..... but I can't stand SMC and their used car salesman coach that can't find a suit that fits. I hope somebody, anybody, pounds them by 20. We've totally outgrown needing them to be good. They are perennially the little brother jumping around, screaming, trying to get attention. Last night was beautiful.

Best thing that could happen is all three teams go S16 or better.
    "And Morrison? He did what All-Americans do. He shot daggers in the daylight and stole a win." - Steve Kelley (Seattle Times)

"Gonzaga is a special place, with special people!" - Dan Dickau #21

Foo me once shame on you, Foo me twice shame on me.

2012 Foostrodamus - Foothsayer of Death

Quote Originally Posted by Martin Centre Mad Man View Post
    I wouldn't have been that upset if he had been given tournament MVP. Obviously Joel was well deserving, but Ford played outstanding in all three games. He's a real warrior and plays with a lot of class, just an easy kid to root for moving forward.

Quote Originally Posted by zagfan24 View Post
    I wouldn't have been that upset if he had been given tournament MVP. Obviously Joel was well deserving, but Ford played outstanding in all three games. He's a real warrior and plays with a lot of class, just an easy kid to root for moving forward.

True dat
    Birddog

Twas brillig, and the slithy toves
    Did gyre and gimble in the wabe:
    All mimsy were the borogoves,
    And the mome raths outgrabe.

Quote Originally Posted by LongIslandZagFan View Post
    Best thing that could happen is all three teams go S16 or better.
    I would MUCH rather see 2 in the Elite 8 (or beyond) while the 3rd gets bounced in their 5/12 opening round game.

"To be continued ....."
    Father Tony Lehman, SJ

Quote Originally Posted by zagfan24 View Post
    Honestly, it's hard to justify Ayayi over Ford for an individual award. Ford got to play 3 games vs Joel's 2, but Ford better (by a good bit) in all 3. Joel's was sorta like saying "here was perhaps the best player on the winning team".

Quote Originally Posted by GoZags View Post
    I would MUCH rather see 2 in the Elite 8 (or beyond) while the 3rd gets bounced in their 5/12 opening round game.
    Truer dat.
    SLOZag
    "Kids come here to better their own lives, not ours. If you take a player’s failures as a personal affront…. check yourself." - Chick-Stratino'sUrDaddy