• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • DZ
    Zag for Life
    • Sep 2007

Congrats To Gaels, Too

For a long time we noted that they needed to get out and play people.

Well, they did. And they did well.

They consistently perform at a top level, with nothing but class, and players we'd call Zags if they were on our squad.

It is nice that this year we know they're going in next week, and should win at least one game, easily could win two.

I hope they get a nice big fat overrated BCS team to play, twice, and beat them.

Can't say how nice it is to have them deservingly in and not heart broken on a night like tonight.
    Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect.
    Mark Twain.
  • TexasZagFan
    Zag for Life
    • Feb 2007

+1

Comment

• CdAZagFan
      Zag for Life
      • Feb 2013

Great post... Will definitely be rooting for them in the NCAA Tourney. Have been watching Ford in his interviews and have come away really impressed. There have been years when I loved to see them lose. But this year, will be pulling for them to go a long way.

Comment

• tummydoc
        Zag for Life
        • Feb 2013

Randy was downright gracious with our players in the handshake line. I have so much respect for them as competitors ... a sharp contrast from the Provo contingent

Comment

• LTownZag
          Banned
          • Mar 2017

Ford is such a Baller. Fitts is ok, but sometimes a no-show. Ford basically took a bottom-tier WCC team and made them into an at-large bid.

Comment

• zag buddy
            Banned
            • Dec 2007

I'll be following them and BYU also. Makes for an excellent tourny for me.

Comment

• jpn17
              Professional Zag Fan
              • Dec 2011

Glad to see it too, because Saint Mary's has had tournament worthy teams in the past that failed to make it because they put all their eggs in the Gonzaga basket. That was definitely not the case this year and they will be dancing because of it.

Comment

• sittingon50
                Zag for Life
                • Feb 2007

Best of Luck, Gaels!
                But we don't play nobody.

Comment

• Hoopaholic
                  • Mar 2008

Ditto go rep wcc and win some games

Originally posted by sittingon50 View Post
                  Best of Luck, Gaels!
                  The ones that want to love us when we’re up & kick us when we’re down, screw off honestly. Drew Timme January 2023

Comment

• zagamatic
                    Zag for Life
                    • Aug 2009

I'll give this year's version of the Gaels the best compliment I can think of.....they almost made me forget how much I hated Samhan....almost lol.
                    Seriously, CONGRATULATIONS on a great season Gaels.
                    On a side note, I wouldn't have complained at all if Ford had won MOP.

Comment

• JPtheBeasta
                      Zag for Life
                      • Oct 2008

Originally posted by CdAZagFan View Post
                      Great post... Will definitely be rooting for them in the NCAA Tourney. Have been watching Ford in his interviews and have come away really impressed. There have been years when I loved to see them lose. But this year, will be pulling for them to go a long way.
                      +1. In the past I was kind of annoyed by all of the people here that rooted for SMC, because they were our biggest rival for a while and it was akin to Lakers/Celtics or Red Sox/Yankees and I couldn't fathom wanting them to succeed. I thought that in a way it was a result of co-dependence and the need for them to be good to justify our position in the basketball world. I may have been all wrong on that, and am being introspective for full disclosure and,mostly, to show how far I've come on them.

They do it the right way and have been very good with way less than a lot of other teams. Bennett gets the most out of his players, generally, and they always seem to be better as a team than the sum of their parts. They are always skilled and they play hard without straddling the border on being unsportsmanlike. Maybe the arrival of BYU and all of the associated garbage that it entails has helped my perspective.

Comment

• Martin Centre Mad Man
                        Administrator
                        • Apr 2009

I love watching Jordan Ford play basketball. That young man plays so hard. It amazes me that he can lead the nation in total minutes played, and still find the energy to make so many tough, acrobatic shots late in games when his team needs him to score. His physical and mental endurance are amazing. He has been a tough, crafty opponent for a long time. I hope to see him play another 3-4 games.
                        “No team in the country has a better winning percentage against power conference teams since 2017 than Gonzaga... the Zags are playing above average teams in the best leagues in the country and winning 78% of the time.”

-Ken Pomeroy-

https://www.ksl.com/article/50342950...in-perspective

Comment

• rawkmandale
                          Banned
                          • Feb 2007

Originally posted by zagamatic View Post
                          I'll give this year's version of the Gaels the best compliment I can think of.....they almost made me forget how much I hated Samhan....almost lol.
                          Seriously, CONGRATULATIONS on a great season Gaels.
                          On a side note, I wouldn't have complained at all if Ford had won MOP.
                          Yep. Tear it up Gaels!

Comment

• SorenTodd45
                            Banned
                            • Jan 2019

Exactly. Part of being a proud Zags fan is showing respect for the other team. The Gaels represent the WCC well, with class and dignity (unlike that team from Provo, Utah).

Comment

• CarolinaZagFan
                              Zag for Life
                              • Dec 2007

Best of luck to the Gaels.
                              "There is always some kid who may be seeing me for the first time. I owe him my best."--Joe DiMaggio

Comment

Working...
                              X