Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Gonzaga vs St Mary's Post Game thoughts and analysis

Quote Originally Posted by JPtheBeasta View Post
    Any insight on the reason Woolridge was on the bench in crunch time? Did I miss an injury? The team was closing out the game well and he wasn't needed tonight, but I was just curious...
    He went to the bench with four fouls.

Quote Originally Posted by caduceus View Post
    Zags not only gained a Quad 1 win tonight...they gained two!!! SMC moved up enough after this game to qualify as a Quad 1 when the Zags played them at the Kennel. It's a twofer!

BTW, Zags end up 7-2 in Quad 1 games, and undefeated in all other quadrants.

Impressive!

Source
    SMC already dropped to 32, so unless several teams in front of them lose we will be at 6-2.

Not the best iPhone shot but ..... Yowzers! Yippee! Great game!
    Go Zags!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Hoopaholic View Post
    Gilder was doing exceptional Jon while Ayayi was on fire and kispert defense on fits was very good. Simply no reason to change success on the court
    I think you might add because Woolridge could not guard Ford one on one. When Ford was scoring in the first half, at least half of those points came from one on one play against Woolridge. Woolridge was also not scoring. Gilder got 15 points, most of them coming in the second half, and at the end of the game.

Go Zags!!!
    Go Zags!!! The Best Is Yet To Come!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Reborn View Post
    I think you might add because Woolridge could not guard Ford one on one. When Ford was scoring in the first half, at least half of those points came from one on one play against Woolridge. Woolridge was also not scoring. Gilder got 15 points, most of them coming in the second half, and at the end of the game.

Go Zags!!!
    I'm guessing Gilders size helps? He seems to be about the same speed as Wooly on defence with a bigger body. I guess I just thought Wooly would be faster on "D" than Gilder because he is soooo fast with the ball in transition.

"We played for them" ---- sums it up -- Zags grads supporting this years team

Brenna Greene
    @BrennaGreene_
    ·
    9h
    One thing was made clear in tonight's post game:

This win was for last year's squad. All the guys from last year all told the current guys in their group text tonight to go get revenge.

https://twitter.com/BrennaGreene_/st...11887258292224

Default The day after the Game

Some final thoughts about the game last night. First I want to say how great I felt when I crawled into bed last night. I lay there, before falling asleep, just thinking about how great the team played, and I had a wonderful smile (lots of joy) on my face. The first impressions I had was of Ayayi and how fantastic he played. I guess because I was a guard, I seem to focus a lot on guard play. When he plays the way he did these past two game he is pure poetry in motion, imo. I love how he dribbles and weaves his way through the defenses and somehow finds a route to the hoop, and lays it in. And when he's feeling good i just know that he's going to nail down a couple 3 pointers which he did last night. He has such a beautiful shot.

Second, I loved how Gilder played last night. Like Ayayi, he too was weaving his way through the defenses and finding the basket and laying it in, or making short 5 foot shots inside the key. Gilder shot 6-10 for 60% which is just awesome for a guard. And of course his defense on Ford was stellar.

AND just before falling asleep I had to see how great Timme played. Wow! Our bench is so great sometimes. We are so blessed to have two bench players like Timme and Gilder. The second half last night showed how great this team is and how beautiful they are to watch. They play the way I believe the game should be played (selflessly).

I also want to point out how well I thought Petrusev played. He had his best game in many ways imo. He was really passing the ball when he was double-teamed, and did pick up 5 assists (team high). He also had 14 boards, 4 of them offensive. He isn't given the credit he deserves for rebounding. I believe some fans don't think he's tough, but let me tell you, to be a good rebounder is all about being tough. I thought he showed so much toughness last night. I really liked his game. Yeah. He only scored ten points, but he did make 4 of the 5 shots he took. He was just not forcing things last night like he does sometimes, and I really respect him for looking for the assists.

I also want to say one more thing about AYAYI and his toughness that is shown in his rebounding. He got 7 boards last night, 3 of them offensive put backs. He's a really tough guard. And he does this consistently.

I think our guards really showed how good they are last night. Because our post players are so dominating that they get most of the attention this year. But when teams focus on trying to double up on our post players and make our guards take over the scoring, they show that they certainly can do that. And I think to have a player like Gilder coming in off the bench is just so remarkable. He's the best bench player Gonzaga has EVER had, or maybe the 2nd best behind Collins.

Has anyone heard who got the MVP of the tournament? My vote goes for Ayayi. And I'm really happy for him. He really stepped up these past two games.

Go Zags!!!

that was fun

love hearing that last year's squad was fully behind these guys last night for revenge!

the game plan was sick awesome imo. All year the Zags have been vanilla vanilla first half, keeping the cards close to the vest, and I agree with hoopaholic, trying to get to the 2nd half to make the winning push. And again last night.

First half, Woolridge got the unenviable task of trying to dig over every screen guarding Ford, on the ball and off, sometimes guarding Ford's dribble by having to fight over two screens in the same sequence. The typical Bennett moving screen action was in full effect. But you could also see Few trying different things too, all tried in the past; hard hedge with Petro and Timme, switching the screens with others, and even doubling Ford a couple of times like what the Zags did full on 2nd half. Results were predictable.

2nd half, the real game plan surfaced. Hard double of Ford on the screen/roll. It worked great, just like when dabbled with in the first half. Ford forced to call timeouts, turnovers, etc.

Bennett adjusted by going AWAY from the screen/roll...wow. Few forced that, so cool. Then Admon came in and destroyed Ford 1v1, but by then, no screen/rolls at all becasue every time Bennett went to it, the double team won.

Woolridge got bloodied and bruised to hide the game plan, then boom, again, the Zags busted it on their opponent second half...and bam! spurtability

This is Few's best act ever imho.

Gilder wasn't able to stop Ford one-on-one and fatigue had nothing to do with it. Last night, nobody was able to stop Ford. It was the 2nd half defensive scheme that shut him down. I'm surprised the announcers didn't say anything about the trap/double on Ford, other than mentioning around halftime that one of the Zag coaches said that they might need to try something like that. It completely changed the game.

Quote Originally Posted by Reborn View Post

Go Zags!!!
    not sure I agree Reborn with all of this, but one star for your thread is pathetic. Thanks for doing this all season

Quote Originally Posted by bballbeachbum View Post
    that was fun

love hearing that last year's squad was fully behind these guys last night for revenge!

the game plan was sick awesome imo. All year the Zags have been vanilla vanilla first half, keeping the cards close to the vest, and I agree with hoopaholic, trying to get to the 2nd half to make the winning push. And again last night.

First half, Woolridge got the unenviable task of trying to dig over every screen guarding Ford, on the ball and off, sometimes guarding Ford's dribble by having to fight over two screens in the same sequence. The typical Bennett moving screen action was in full effect. But you could also see Few trying different things too, all tried in the past; hard hedge with Petro and Timme, switching the screens with others, and even doubling Ford a couple of times like what the Zags did full on 2nd half. Results were predictable.

2nd half, the real game plan surfaced. Hard double of Ford on the screen/roll. It worked great, just like when dabbled with in the first half. Ford forced to call timeouts, turnovers, etc.

Bennett adjusted by going AWAY from the screen/roll...wow. Few forced that, so cool. Then Admon came in and destroyed Ford 1v1, but by then, no screen/rolls at all becasue every time Bennett went to it, the double team won.

Woolridge got bloodied and bruised to hide the game plan, then boom, again, the Zags busted it on their opponent second half...and bam! spurtability

This is Few's best act ever imho.
    keep in mind they burnt thru timeouts and had NONE with 15 minutes to go in the game so making adjustments was limited to the media timeouts....very difficult task
    Basketball...The Toy Department of Life

Don't mess wth happy...Coach Few

Quote Originally Posted by zaguarxj View Post
    Gilder wasn't able to stop Ford one-on-one and fatigue had nothing to do with it. Last night, nobody was able to stop Ford. It was the 2nd half defensive scheme that shut him down. I'm surprised the announcers didn't say anything about the trap/double on Ford, other than mentioning around halftime that one of the Zag coaches said that they might need to try something like that. It completely changed the game.
    there is a thread that asks Gilder or Woolridge on how to stop ford on a last second shot......I described what would be effective and we applied this in the second half game plan and executed it very very well

Timme and Tille were instrumental in applying the double and the other adjustment some did not catch was moving those two into the guarding post player out high placing Petresuv to the backline to be the traffic cop and not expose him out on top as often as it was in first half.

Coach Few had indicated they worked on this adjustment in practice this week in interview with Andy Katz
    Basketball...The Toy Department of Life

Don't mess wth happy...Coach Few

You're welcome. There's no problem at all with disagreeing with me. I enjoy everything that you write. You are much appreciated here on this forum. Keep up the great posts.

Go Zags!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Hoopaholic View Post
    keep in mind they burnt thru timeouts and had NONE with 15 minutes to go in the game so making adjustments was limited to the media timeouts....very difficult task
    I grew much more confident when that happened.

Reborn pointed out that Petrusev was finding guys for assists. I have been critical of Petrusev for being a black hole of sorts down there. It’s also on his team mates to cut and get open. This was I nice progression in the offense. They have also been finding Kispert here and there on back cuts, which I also really like.

I said to nobody in particular “game over” at that time.
    Quote Originally Posted by JPtheBeasta View Post
    I grew much more confident when that happened.
    Birddog

Twas brillig, and the slithy toves
    Did gyre and gimble in the wabe:
    All mimsy were the borogoves,
    And the mome raths outgrabe.

I wonder if any other team has ever ran out of timeouts with 15 min. left in the game. It certainly was an exceptional strategy by Coach Few to double team Ford on the pick and roll play.

I enjoyed the petrusev to tillie pass for a bucket. That was pretty.
    Love the zags for life

I really liked how we took control in the second half and grew the lead. That is championship caliber. I also was really pleased with Ayayi, he is becoming that slasher that we need. Plus looks pretty smooth out there and under control. Timme was fantastic in the first half in fending off the St Mary’s offensive barrage. Kispert was guarded pretty tightly throughout the game and it was great for him to persevere and break free a few times to get some big buckets. Petrusev did a great job of sharing the ball. Still wish he would quit whining to the refs. The announcers even mentioned that he needs to quit worrying about the no call on the foul and focus on the next play. So excited for March madness. Final four or bust!

Quote Originally Posted by Martin Centre Mad Man View Post
    He went to the bench with four fouls.
    Gotcha. Thanks.

SMC hit some tough shots in the first half. I thought the Zags would slowly extend the lead because SMC, in my mind, was due for a regression. The double teams/traps on Ford really turned tipped the scales.

My biggest fear was Ford with the ball in his hands with a chance to win the game at the end. That lack of time outs situation remediated that fear...The 20 point lead also helped

During the SMC Press Conference, Ford admitted he got a little frustrated when the Zags doubled him up in that 2nd half. And Bennett said Fitts also got frustrated in that 2nd half and that the Zags got him to speed up his game. Again, great adjustments at half to turn that game around.

I love second half adjustments but we have a track record this year for playing like crap in the first half and making up for it in the second. THat will bot cut it in the tournament.

It was amazing that we won by 18 points. St Mary's is a real good team. They just beat BYU who I thin k was ranked 11th on Kenpom, and 14th in the AP poll. You have to be pretty good to beat a team ranked that high. BYU has been playing great basketball, and St Mary's showed how good they are by beating them. Randy Bennett has done a very good job this year considering that he lost one of his best players too (I'm referring to Gonzaga losing Watson). Holding a team like them down to 25 second half points is pretty remarkable. Great coaching job.

Go Zags!!!

Noticed Nigel Williams-Goss in the stands behind the GU bench yelling for his Zags. He looked so happy with the final win. Post-game he was down on the floor hugging and celebrating with the coaches, staff, players and families.

Great to see Zag Nation in great glory. Always amazing to see how Inland NW Zag fans, and really others from around the country, show up in Vegas and come out to cheer for the team. A GREAT ADVANTAGE! Players and Tommy Lloyd up and waving their arms for the Nation to stand, cheer, and fire up the young men. What a great atmosphere.