Thread: Gonzaga vs San Francisco Post Game thoughts and analysis

Default Gonzaga vs San Francisco Post Game thoughts and analysis

Gonzaga 81
    San Fran 77

A very tough victory. I thought this would be a rough game when I reviewed how well San Francisco has been playing in the tournament so far. They won their first two games by 29 and 18 points. The 18 point victory was against a very good Pacific team. And they certainly played great tonight. They really battled and fought all the way. They missed some free throws at the end of the game which hurt them. They did have some very good players and Gonzaga had a really hard time guarding them. Congrats to them for playing so well.

Gonzaga played pretty well on offense too. We scored 81 in a very tough game. Two of our top scorers did not have good games (Kispert and Petrusev), but Tillie, Woolridge and Ayayi came alive tonight. Ayayi and Tillie held Gonzaga together down the back stretch. And I'd have to say Ayayi the most. He scored 14 points and most of those came in the last 6 minutes of the game when he kind of took over. He also had 9 rebounds to help the Zags in that area. Tillie hit some huge free throws down the stretch and a couple of nice drives where he just took his man one on one and was not going to be denied.

This game was way to tough for me. I am a nervous wreck. But I held it together down the stretch and believed all the way that we would do it. Gonzaga was horrible from behind the 3 point line hitting only 3-12 FOR 25%. Kispert was totally taken out of the game, scoring only 4 points and I feel that really hurt the Zags. And he really was not good on defense at all. I hope he brings it tomorrow. Tillie was also ice cold from the outside, shooting 1-4. As a team the Zags shot 25% from behind the arc. Woolridge did make 2-2. Woolridge had a very good game scoring 16 points, but only had one assist. Speaking of assists, the Zags only had 8 which I am sure is a season low. When the Zags do not make assists they really do have a hard time scoring. But usually it's Petrusev whom the Zags throw the ball into and he scores and we get an assist. He was not good at all tonight, shooting only 3-13 for 38%. The Zags shot 50% as a team, which is low for them, and 69% from the foul line which isn't too bad.

Few thought that if the Zags could hold San Fran down from behind the 3 point line that they'd have a good chance of winning. They did just that, holding them to 23% shooting, 6-26. I think the fact that the Zags only had 8 turnovers was good. For me this was a statistic that I was paying attention to because lately the Zags have been turning the ball over a lot.

It was a tough win, but a win is a win, and we're moving on to the finals.

Go Zags!!!
    Last edited by Reborn; 03-09-2020 at 10:42 PM.
    Go Zags!!! The Best Is Yet To Come!!!

It is all about surviving and advancing now. Looking pretty means nothing if you get an L out of it.

Tough win. Move on. All that matters.

Great season for Todd Golden and his squad. Hope they get a NIT invite.

Win and move on.

It wasn't just Corey, the entire team was a step slow on defense most of the night. That has to be corrected, pronto. Very little help defense on Minland, I can't recall seeing him dish the ball to an open teammate, though he was credited with one assist.

The Dons did themselves proud but our Zags prevail... it was a war... Yes, the Dons deserve a NIT bid... hope they get it.... Love how the WCC is trending up...

Go!! Zags!!!
    "Learn from the past, Plan for the future, Live in the Now!"

Quote Originally Posted by StatZag19 View Post
    Great season for Todd Golden and his squad. Hope they get a NIT invite.
    MCMM 2020: Who Wants Some Cheese?

Love Reborn's game post-mortems! Thanks, guy!

Quote Originally Posted by ZagNative View Post
    Haha. Yet we live to play again!

I was nervous from the moment the matchup was announced. They've had our number this year. So glad we were able to pull it out.

Quote Originally Posted by kdaleb View Post
    I was nervous from the moment the matchup was announced. They've had our number this year. So glad we were able to pull it out.
    - yep! me too.

- kudos to tillie, wooly and ayayi.
    - rest of you guys, lets bear down and all play better tomorrow.

- glad the free throws did not end up being a 'factor', i.e. losing. need to draw up plays that gets the ball in ayayi's hands when we expect a foul. he sure looks good at the line.

Quote Originally Posted by ZagNative View Post
    Bingo

"To be continued ....."
    Father Tony Lehman, SJ

Does anyone have a replay of this game ? Can maybe upload to YT ? Didn’t get to see it. Thanks.

The Dons played the Zags tough. Thanks goodness for Tillies three and Ayayis buckets. I had a feeling this game would go the distance. Kispert won’t have two bad games in a row so watch for him tomorrow night.

What’s up with Petro? He was way out of it tonight. Few put the hook on him tonight Lull owned him.
    To Fish & Game: Keep streams stocked well for Mr. Few!

I thought we would come out with more intensity and take it to these guys... But I have to give SF credit. They played tough, and started to look pretty comfortable offensively late in that second half. Survive and advance, though. Loved the way Ayayi stepped up late in the game - that was great to see. Hope to see a great effort tomorrow night.

Onward to WCC tourney championship!

Ayayi, Tillie, Woolridge and Timme had solid games; Petrusev, Kispert and Gilder did not. Zags looked rusty and a step slow. Ayayi big time in crunch time. It wasn’t pretty but gaining postseason tourney experience and getting some high pressure performances is all good stuff for NCAA tourney prep.

Looking forward to seeing Zags play better tonight as Im sure they will.
    It is their time....their team...I just get to watch. - Bartruff1

Quote Originally Posted by GrizZAG View Post
    What’s up with Petro? He was way out of it tonight. Few put the hook on him tonight Lull owned him.
    The Dons were fouling him to stop the clock. Few substituted a better free throw shooter in for him.
    MCMM 2020: Who Wants Some Cheese?

Quote Originally Posted by CdAZagFan View Post
    I thought we would come out with more intensity and take it to these guys... But I have to give SF credit. They played tough, and started to look pretty comfortable offensively late in that second half. Survive and advance, though. Loved the way Ayayi stepped up late in the game - that was great to see. Hope to see a great effort tomorrow night.
    San Francisco has really improved. They have some really good talent. If you look at how they played in their first two games in the tournament you'll see that they won by 29 points against LMU and 19 against Pacific who is a pretty good team. They had 4 players who we had a very hard time defending. Our man to man defense looked really bad. Honestly, I feel like it's a real concern. Fortunately, Gonzaga's a team who can score 80 points pretty consistently, even on a night like last night when not everyone was having their best game.

Go Zags!!!

Is it just me, or has Petrusev had some trouble this season with guys who can match his size?

Looking at San Francisco's game statistics, and seeing how we held them to 23% shooting from behind the 3 point line (6-26) and can understand better how the Dons were able to penetrate and attack the basket off the dribble. In order to defend the 3 point line, defensive players must guard their man closer. When that happens it is easier to drive to the basket. Minland is showing that he's a top-notch small forward or 3. He was really hard to defend, and honestly their guards played great. Shabazz was incredible. The other factor in San Francisco's ability to attack the basket off the dribble was that their 4 (Raitanen) could really shoot the 3 ball. He hit 3-5 threes. That was far better than what Tillie was able to do. Tillie had to go out and guard Raitanen which opened up lanes for their guards to attack the basket.

Minland and Shabazz will be back next year. So there is a lot to build on for the Dons next year. I wonder if their coach will be back.

Go Zags!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Chicken Ball View Post
    Is it just me, or has Petrusev had some trouble this season with guys who can match his size?
    Well let's take a look at that. First of all, Hull, the Dons' 7' center, was on the bench most of the night because he had trouble guarding Petrusev. Hull is probably as big as any center that the Zags will face accept Azubuki who plays for Kansas. Petrusev did score 13 last night, which is not his best outing but it still is pretty good, especially when you consider that the Dons doubled and tripled teamed him all night. Second, Petrusev shoots more free throws than any center in the country. I think that that is a fantastic stat. He is not always great at the line, but he sure has improved.

Go Zags!!!

I don’t believe this is a fair assessment. Lull didn’t own him, he sat most of the game with foul trouble and his back-up barely stayed in the game with four fouls. The strategy being used against Petrusev has been to just foul him hard. Even with all of the fouls that he drew, there were a significant number that weren’t called. Go back and watch the game again, he is probably black and blue from the cheap shots.