Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Few On Next Years Team According to Dickie V

Any early odds on Petro leaving? Purely your best guess.

I don't know about #1 but we will be ranked within the top 3.
    If you want to be happy tomorrow, think good thoughts today--Bud Fisher

My guess is 80% sure he is gone. I would happily put my money where my mouth is and bet at 4:1 odds of anyone claims he will stay for any reason. I don’t think he’ll be on an NBA team next year, but will be playing for cash in Europe.

Quote Originally Posted by LTownZag View Post
    My guess is 80% sure he is gone. I would happily put my money where my mouth is and bet at 4:1 odds of anyone claims he will stay for any reason. I don’t think he’ll be on an NBA team next year, but will be playing for cash in Europe.
    He better hope he doesnt match up against Azubuke in the tournament. I think he would get eaten alive and it would eliminate his nba chances this year.

He has skills, but is not a good shooter, isnt very athletic, can only play the 5 position in the nba as he has very little face up game, and is not a "banger" yet.

Been shocked all year by his pub and cannot imagine in any scenario him being near a first round pick.

Quote Originally Posted by zagsfanforlife View Post
    He better hope he doesnt match up against Azubuke in the tournament. I think he would get eaten alive and it would eliminate his nba chances this year.

He has skills, but is not a good shooter, isnt very athletic, can only play the 5 position in the nba as he has very little face up game, and is not a "banger" yet.

Been shocked all year by his pub and cannot imagine in any scenario him being near a first round pick.
    Here's a quote from ESPN's evaluation of Filip in 2018 just after his commitment to GU: "Consistent floor-spacer and shooting threat to the three point line. . . . Plays predominately facing the basket." They also lauded his footwork and ball-handling skills for a big-man. Plus, I saw him on the Tube draining plenty of treys at Monteverde. And, so, sorry, ZFFL, I'm inclined, along with ESPN, and a host of other scouting services, to disagree with your opinion. Why Filip was asked by GU's staff to discontinue these skills is a puzzle to me. Opponents now are daring him to shoot wide open 10 footers posting up toward the top of the key & HE WON'T DO IT. Tis confounding, is what it is.

Quote Originally Posted by upan8th View Post
    Here's a quote from ESPN's evaluation of Filip in 2018 just after his commitment to GU: "Consistent floor-spacer and shooting threat to the three point line. . . . Plays predominately facing the basket." They also lauded his footwork and ball-handling skills for a big-man. Plus, I saw him on the Tube draining plenty of treys at Monteverde. And, so, sorry, ZFFL, I'm inclined, along with ESPN, and a host of other scouting services, to disagree with your opinion. Why Filip was asked by GU's staff to discontinue these skills is a puzzle to me. Opponents now are daring him to shoot wide open 10 footers posting up toward the top of the key & HE WON'T DO IT. Tis confounding, is what it is.
    So you are saying he has this ability, yet wont take a 10 foot jump shot because the coaches tell him not to? And also shoots 66% from the line....Do you think he is tough enough to handle Montrezl Harrell?

I think even without Petruseven we merit number one consideration with Watson having been "around" the entire time, Biallo, same thing, and Kispert, and think that Ayayi will be back.
    Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect.
    Mark Twain.

The key thing with next year's team is that Few has never had a point guard like Suggs running his offense. I know one service had Pargo highly ranked, but the most highly thought of PG or combo guard to enter the program overall has probably been Bouldin. Suggs is the #6 ranked player in the nation according to espn.com. It really changes the equation. Few is going to have cards in his deck that he's never had before. I also continue to say that the only reason Harris isn't a McDonald's AA is because he spent two years playing in isolation at Pacifica Christian. His performance in upsetting Sierra Canyon, at the time the #1 high school team in the land, was extraordinary.

My great worry is that Petrusev or Joel A. will try to pull a Norvell. Neither is ready for the pros. If they come back, the frontcourt is going to be unreal with Petrusev, Timme, Watson, Baby Shaq and Zakharov. The latter is a major talent who just needs to adapt to the American game. Kispert will have a pure backup at the wing in Julian Strawther who is an elite scorer. I wouldn't be surprised if Few picks up a grad transfer with PG skills. The media may have their own vote, but the team next year really has a chance to be special. And Few is not a guy to hype his teams AT ALL. But Suggs is the big deal. A lottery pick level PG who has no glaring weaknesses in his game. Plays on both ends, has athleticism, skill, brains, plays hard, is a leader, etc.

Filip is soft. He needs more time to get more skills. Not sure if his play under the basket will even be tough. Joel, I love, but he's very inconsistent. .which is not the mark of a pro. Ballo, Timme and Pavel with Watson will make a big difference. Sure we could start the year as a Vitale favorite but that means little.
    Guards and wings will be necessary even though the frosh are new to D1 level.Right now, I don't seen anyone who is NBA ready. I do see a highly skilled top 3-5 team if things proceed as they should.

I expect Petrusev to leave and Ayayi to stay. Timme will step in and fill Petrusev's roll with zero issues IMO. Tillie will be the loss that is hardest to replace, but Gonzaga has so many new guys coming in next year (I'm including Watson in that) that they will fill the void. They're gonna be the best team in CBB next year IMO, but they also have a chance to prove they are the best this year too and I am really looking forward to that.

Don't forget that Kispert can fill in at the 4, especially with Strawther to play the 3, if Petrusev leaves or if there are injuries/ foul issues. A RELIABLE stretch 4/5 grad transfer with real experience would sure be nice though. If Pavel can get 6-10 minutes a game next year without any glaring problems, it could be a really special year.

Quote Originally Posted by MDABE80 View Post
    Ballo will shock people when he finally plays. Non stop motor and a superior athlete. Quick, big, nimble, tough... rebounds like a demon.
    Baby Shaq

Petro was allowed to float last year because of the folks that were down low. Had to play low this year because of team needs.

If Petro comes back & Ballo can man some meaningful minutes at the 5,I think you'll see Petro float some more.

If Petro leaves, CDC mentioned Pavel. Can tell you that a # of times in pregame warmups (& yes it's only warmups) Pavel was consistently banging down 3's.
    This post is for March Madness seeding purposes only.

Quote Originally Posted by zagamatic View Post
    Don't forget that Kispert can fill in at the 4, especially with Strawther to play the 3, if Petrusev leaves or if there are injuries/ foul issues. A RELIABLE stretch 4/5 grad transfer with real experience would sure be nice though. If Pavel can get 6-10 minutes a game next year without any glaring problems, it could be a really special year.
    A small lineup with Kispert at the 4 would be interesting and fun to see, in stretches.

People forget that Pavel was a top 60 recruit at an elite high school.

I am as excited as everyone else to see the new faces next year but one guy that hasn't been mentioned here that I think showed some very good signs this year is Martynas Arlauskas. Hoping he can make a big jump into his So. year.

While I get all the press for Suggs it will take some time for him to learn point guard in GU basketball schemes .

I wouldn't be surprised if he starts out a SG with Ayayi playing the point guard for the first while...

K. Neither is ready for the pros. If they come back, the frontcourt is going to be unreal with Petrusev, Timme, Watson, Baby Shaq and Zakharov. The latter is a major talent who just needs to adapt to the American game. Kispert will have a pure backup at the wing in Julian Strawther who is an elite scorer. I wouldn't be surprised if Few picks up a grad transfer with PG skills. The media may have their own vote, but the team next year really has a chance to be special. And Few is not a guy to hype his teams AT ALL. But Suggs is the big deal. A lottery pick level PG who has no glaring weaknesses in his game. Plays on both ends, has athleticism, skill, brains, plays hard, is a leader, etc.[/QUOTE]

If Ayayi and Petrusev stay then I hope no grad transfers next season. Run with these guys, a 9 man rotation w Arlauskas and Zakharov your 10th and 11th guys off the bench.

PG: Suggs, Harris, Ayayi
    SG: Ayayi, Harris, Strawther
    SF: Kispert, Strawther, Arlauskas
    PF: Timme, Watson, Zakharov
    C: Petrusev, Ballo, Zakharov
    It is their time....their team...I just get to watch. - Bartruff1

Petrusev doesn't move the needle too much. Won't be in the closing lineup if he returns. Would contribute but won't be depended on like this season with more players to share the offensive load.

Quote Originally Posted by zagfan08 View Post
    Petrusev doesn't move the needle too much. Won't be in the closing lineup if he returns. Would contribute but won't be depended on like this season with more players to share the offensive load.
    Even one-eyed Vitale caught his negative attitude.

Quote Originally Posted by ZagsObserver View Post
    Any early odds on Petro leaving? Purely your best guess.
    80/20 leave/stay

Quote Originally Posted by jazzdelmar View Post
    Even one-eyed Vitale caught his negative attitude.
    If he stays I would guess Few will get that under control.

Quote Originally Posted by ZagBlue View Post
    That depends. If we don’t add the above mentioned grad transfer big that I am hoping for, then our front court is:
    Timme, Ballo, Watson, Zakharov. That front court could be terrific but it clearly lacks experience and depth. Essentially we have Timme and 3 freshman (because Watson and Pavel barely played). So I don’t see a redshirt for Pavel unless we sign another immediately eligible player who can play minutes. All of this changes if somehow Filip returns.
    When I mentioned red-shirting Zakharov, I am looking at it as Petrusev will be back. I will look at it it this way until Filip himself says he is leaving. I too say that Coach Few will straighten out that attitude, if he can keep him away from all the sleazy agents. I think that is what happened to Norvell Jr. last year, agents in his ear telling him how great he was and was guarented to be drafted in the first round. Just think what this team would have been with him back.
    Last edited by TheOtherGreatOne; 03-11-2020 at 11:29 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by rawkmandale View Post
    Baby Shaq
    People keep calling him that but he looks to me more like a full-grown Sean Kemp. Which is amazing for a 17 or 18 year old.

Quote Originally Posted by caldwellzag View Post
    80/20 leave/stay
    Would they try talking him out of going? To me and my untrained eye, this seems like a situation where both the player and program would benefit from him moving forward and playing professionally, wherever that might be.