Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Espn talking up the Zags.

Quote Originally Posted by hooter73 View Post
    Man I just don’t agree. Tillie yes of course, but Timme is young and Petro will be owned by big athletic centers or strong driving guards from the east coast.
    Couldn't agree with this post more.. I might take a beating by posting this but Petro would have a very tough time against a physical big down low.. He has plenty of offensive skills but lacks that same intensity on the defensive end. Barely ever gets called for a foul because he plays hard on the offensive end but not on the defensive end of the court. I dont think he will stick in the NBA if he doesn't add 20 pounds of muscle and learn to rebound better. Timmie plays harder as a freshman on defense and isn't afraid to bang with anyone for a rebound or loose ball. Quick penetrating guards and a rim protector could end the Zag season in the very first round if they don't come out and play inspired for a full 40 minutes

It takes guts to predict that a team will make the final 4. It's easy to say a team won't make it, because most won't, even some extremely good ones (UVA anyone?). It's simply lazy to predict failure because failure is the most likely outcome for every single team. I have zero respect for people who try to make themselves look smart by predicting a team won't make the final 4. It's just too easy. Good for ESPN for going out on a limb and making a bold call instead of just being lazy.

For all the talk we've heard about how our guards are great defenders, they have an awful lot of trouble stopping other guards from driving right past and into paint where Petro is waiting to be included in the poster. I guess we'll see how well they contain Ford tonight. I really got the impression that he did more to stop himself from attacking in our last game than our guards did.

Quote Originally Posted by zaguarxj View Post
    It takes guts to predict that a team will make the final 4. It's easy to say a team won't make it, because most won't, even some extremely good ones (UVA anyone?). It's simply lazy to predict failure because failure is the most likely outcome for every single team. I have zero respect for people who try to make themselves look smart by predicting a team won't make the final 4. It's just too easy. Good for ESPN for going out on a limb and making a bold call instead of just being lazy.

Quote Originally Posted by jazzdelmar View Post
    Look at the 8-9 teams now and tell me you still believe that. USF is an above average team and they played us all but even in 3 games. Just not evolving into a better team. Talent is nothing like past years. Guards are so skitty.

Let me help you. Joe's 8-9s now are Houston, USC, LSU, Rutgers, Fla, Az, and Oklahoma. Formidable, all.
    We beat all of those teams. None of them scare me.

Or maybe that was a misleading picture of this team, borne of catching many good and perhaps ultimately better teams early in their own development.

The bottom line is the OP -- a F4 run -- is absurd.
    I would wait until the bracket comes out before writing off our F4 chances. We don’t have a Brandon Clarke, but the field isn’t as strong as last year either. Good coaching and team effort might be enough to get it done.
    It's peanut butter jelly time!

It's all about matchups like it is every year. It's also all about the refs. Take last year, if we had refs who actually call fouls and I believe that we would be hanging a banner. Same thing in 2017, if they could plainly see the UNC player being out of bounds, possible banner.

50-50
    such a weak response so if they make it past round 32 you come back and say see told ya if they get bounced you come back and say see told you

typical negative nancy position
    Basketball...The Toy Department of Life

Don't mess wth happy...Coach Few

I think our team has the talent to make the Final 4, but I think they've also got a much higher variance than other teams we've had, particularly due to depth issues. Given the way the tournament goes, I could just as easily see them going cold, playing terribly, and getting bounced in the second round as I can see them winning it all.
    I will thank God for the day and the moment I have. - Jimmy V

serious strikes against us
    1. perimeter defense
    2. post defense
    3. free throws
    4. sluggish starts
    5. getting stuck in a "pound it into the post" rut

my 2 pennies

Quote Originally Posted by ZenZag View Post
    serious strikes against us
    1. perimeter defense
    2. post defense
    3. free throws
    4. sluggish starts
    5. getting stuck in a "pound it into the post" rut

my 2 pennies
    I would replace lack of perimeter threat with the sluggish starts.

When Kispert is nailing threes, this is a different team. When there is no 3 pt threat, and when the defense collapses, we really struggle. This, in my opinion, has been one of the main reasons for our struggles of late.

Quote Originally Posted by webspinnre View Post
    I think our team has the talent to make the Final 4, but I think they've also got a much higher variance than other teams we've had, particularly due to depth issues. Given the way the tournament goes, I could just as easily see them going cold, playing terribly, and getting bounced in the second round as I can see them winning it all.
    This is the way I am feeling this year... I think those 8/9 seeds are going to be a tough out. Will make for an exciting ride for sure.

Quote Originally Posted by ZagsObserver View Post

When Kispert is nailing threes, this is a different team. When there is no 3 pt threat, and when the defense collapses, we really struggle. This, in my opinion, has been one of the main reasons for our struggles of late.
    thus why you see teams face guarding kispert and not letting him have any space to operate (ie last night)
    Basketball...The Toy Department of Life

Don't mess wth happy...Coach Few

Quote Originally Posted by Hoopaholic View Post
    thus why you see teams face guarding kispert and not letting him have any space to operate (ie last night)
    Agreed. And we have to counter that/capitalize on it in some way.

Quote Originally Posted by ZagsObserver View Post

Agreed ZO......................Tillie is the answer to both the additional 3-pt threat and how to keep defenses from collapsing. The ZAGS go as far as Killian can take us, he is the difference maker on this squad. I like our chances.

Go ZAGS

Quote Originally Posted by zaguarxj View Post
    Your twisted rationale just gave me a migraine. Man, that Kool Aid is sweet.

Quote Originally Posted by TacomaZAG View Post
    Agreed ZO......................Tillie is the answer to both the additional 3-pt threat and how to keep defenses from collapsing. The ZAGS go as far as Killian can take us, he is the difference maker on this squad. I like our chances.

Go ZAGS
    I completely agree this team goes as far as Tillie takes us. It is nice to have a Senior that will lead the way, especially one who has been to a Final Four. His 4 years at GU have been hampered by health, but his leadership will be irreplaceable this March.

Quote Originally Posted by TexasZagFan View Post
    What bothered me the most was the lack of a coherent plan on offense. I wasn't sure what they were trying to do all night.
    This & your earlier post re Zags a step slow on defense are my thoughts as well. Zags played impatiently last night, guys shooting on first pass instead of movement and passing into a better shot. Low # of assists uncharacteristic

I’m hoping the slow footedness was rust; seems to me Few’s teams generally play better in 2nd game of a tourney. I’m confident Kispert and Petrusev will show up big time. If Tillie cannot go, big opportunity for Timme....and Arlauskas!?
    It is their time....their team...I just get to watch. - Bartruff1

I've been very happy with the results so far this year because I didn't expect this team to be this good. That said, it is fundamentally flawed in several ways that just can't be fixed at this stage in the season, it seems to me, and which keeps them from being a great team. I'm guess that they make it to the second weekend. I personally would only predict a Final 4 for a team that I thought was great (it is rare that I consider a team to be great, lest someone get offended). I will enjoy the ride, though. This team has already surprised me so why not in the tournament? Thankfully, every other team is flawed and there isn't a buzz-saw of a team waiting for the Zags down the road. More than most years, I think it will take some luck and kind officiating; I don't see how this team overcomes a physical team if they aren't called for fouls, which seems inevitable.

Or maybe that was a misleading picture of this team, borne of catching many good and perhaps ultimately better teams early in their own development.

The bottom line is the OP -- a F4 run -- is absurd.
    That's a hyperbolic take. Makes me question whether you have even seen a non-Gonzaga college game this season. The whole nation is on a down year. Kansas is literally the only team that would be top-10 last year and they would just be inching in to that top 10.

I get this is far from the best GU team. 2017/2019 would smack 'em around the majority of times. But its a down year in college ball and there aren't any truly great teams.

The tourney is just a probability game. This team has earned a favourable seed/draw. They'll be 99% expected to get to the second round and ~65% for the sweet sixteen. After that every game will be close to a tossup with most slightly favouring GU.

The odds are against GU making the final four but to suggest it is an absurd possibility is ridiculous.

Quote Originally Posted by OntZags View Post
    That's a hyperbolic take. Makes me question whether you have even seen a non-Gonzaga college game this season. The whole nation is on a down year. Kansas is literally the only team that would be top-10 last year and they would just be inching in to that top 10.

I get this is far from the best GU team. 2017/2019 would smack 'em around the majority of times. But its a down year in college ball and there aren't any truly great teams.

The tourney is just a probability game. This team has earned a favourable seed/draw. They'll be 99% expected to get to the second round and ~65% for the sweet sixteen. After that every game will be close to a tossup with most slightly favouring GU.

The odds are against GU making the final four but to suggest it is an absurd possibility is ridiculous.
    Gonzaga is tied with the second highest odds at 8/1 to make the final 4.

That’s what the smart money thinks.

Back to that point, 1/8 makes it easy to pick against and be right.

Look at the 8-9 teams now and tell me you still believe that. USF is an above average team and they played us all but even in 3 games. Just not evolving into a better team. Talent is nothing like past years. Guards are so skitty.

Let me help you. Joe's 8-9s now are Houston, USC, LSU, Rutgers, Fla, Az, and Oklahoma. Formidable, all.
    Any of those teams would see playing GU in Spokane (yes in SPOKANE) as a daunting task to say the least. None of them would think of it as an ideal situation to pull a huge upset. Most likely it would be an easy trip to the Sweet 16. The Talent is nothing like past years for the whole of the NCAA. There are no power teams out there and GU is the most complete team out there. They have a chance to run the table. USF knows how we run our sets, and they played well against them, You can see that in most of the power conferences. UCLA is having a great run because of it. But, when it gets to the NCAA with limited time to prepare, not so much. GU runs stuff that is hard to prepare for and add to that a well-balanced attack that any one of the top seven can go off, makes GU a nightmare to prepare for in the short run. I mean GU has some problems with the most important being a weakness in FT percentage, but they are a contender for NC.
    ----
    Why not try Love Poems. They work to prime the pump.

Point: We only had 8 assists last night and SMC had I believe 10.

USF had a game plan and stuck to it...they just did't have the horses to compete with us...They had three players all guards that caused us fits and we will face better sized and as quick athletes in the Dance...I believe that IF we face a team with a talented big, then Filip will have difficulty in defending him...I don't think that KU Center is a talented big (no I won't say that to his face) but he is big and strong and I don't recall him making any shots outside of his area where he can't dunk!

I also think we go as far as Filip can take us...I think a S-16 will good; however, I'd love to see them get to another EE or FF but don't think that is realistic...IMO Everything depends on match-ups. We have played against some rugged post players and remember, in our pre-season scrimmage against MSU, it was said we dominated them and the BPI says they are a FF team...

Fingers are crossed and am ready to begin watching the tournament...

It is going to be almost impossible for any 8/9 team, in one of the worst talent-rich tournaments of the past 30 years of college basketball, to beat the Zags in Spokane, 2 miles from campus. Folks, no team in recent times will enjoy more of a home court advantage in the NCAA tourney. It is the 2nd weekend I am more concerned about in Los Angeles.

I cannot emphasize enough....6 WCC teams earned more than 20+ wins. There are several major conferences (if you factor in the AAC, BE and MWC) who won't finish with as many such teams. The WCC this year was one of the most underrated leagues in modern college basketball history. A team like Pacific would be in the NCAA tourney if they had played in most leagues throughout D-1.