Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Espn talking up the Zags.

Default Espn talking up the Zags.

Final 4 team.

Tillie is amazing and must stay healthy.

Petru is top skilled player in country in the front court.

Front court one of the best in the land.

Kispert is X factor.

So Zags getting a lot of love.
    Love the zags for life

Zags dont turn the ball over.
    Love the zags for life

Man I just don’t agree. Tillie yes of course, but Timme is young and Petro will be owned by big athletic centers or strong driving guards from the east coast.

Quote Originally Posted by hooter73 View Post
    Man I just don’t agree. Tillie yes of course, but Timme is young and Petro will be owned by big athletic centers or strong driving guards from the east coast.
    Filip's gotten more physical as the season has progressed, so I'm optimistic.

I hate to think how Filip would do with Azabuke hunting him down. Ballo would be ok. We''ll see. NO matter. we are what we are this year.I do love Joel returning to form. He's got NBA size and he's fast up and down. When Joel
    s on, he
    s amazing. Good game.

Quote Originally Posted by MDABE80 View Post
    I hate to think how Filip would do with Azabuke hunting him down.
    If Azabuke shuts down Filip, then I'll be a happy boy since that means it will have happened in Atlanta. And hopefully the rest of the crew will pick up the slack!

Quote Originally Posted by hooter73 View Post
    I agree ... I don't see this team as a Final 4 team, unfortunately. Lots of holes on this team and I'm a big believer you need good guards to advance deep- which we don't have. I also think Kispert is an excellent WCC player, but can get swallowed up by a more athletic team. Finally ... I think Petrusev is great, but pretty weak underneath the hoop. I think we're a Sweet 16 team this year, but that's it ...

S16 would be a pleasant surprise.

Quote Originally Posted by jazzdelmar View Post
    S16 would be a pleasant surprise.
    Oh you think we get bounced in the Round of 32?

Quote Originally Posted by KOzag08 View Post
    Oh you think we get bounced in the Round of 32?
    50-50

50-50
    SMC is the type of team we meet in the round of 32. We beat those teams.

Quote Originally Posted by ZagsObserver View Post
    SMC is the type of team we meet in the round of 32. We beat those teams.
    Look at the 8-9 teams now and tell me you still believe that. USF is an above average team and they played us all but even in 3 games. Just not evolving into a better team. Talent is nothing like past years. Guards are so skitty.

Let me help you. Joe's 8-9s now are Houston, USC, LSU, Rutgers, Fla, Az, and Oklahoma. Formidable, all.

Look at the 8-9 teams now and tell me you still believe that. USF is an above average team and they played us all but even in 3 games. Just not evolving into a better team. Talent is nothing like past years. Guards are so skitty.

Let me help you. Joe's 8-9s now are Houston, USC, LSU, Rutgers, Fla, Az, and Oklahoma. Formidable, all.
    It's awfully difficult to beat a team 3 times in a season. Yes, those teams are formidable, but they don't have the knowledge of our conference foes.

Quote Originally Posted by TexasZagFan View Post
    It's awfully difficult to beat a team 3 times in a season. Yes, those teams are formidable, but they don't have the knowledge of our conference foes.
    Shouldn't our knowledge of USF offset theirs of us, producing clear and easy wins?

Shouldn't our knowledge of USF offset theirs of us, producing clear and easy wins?
    Good retort, can't disagree with that. Their 3 point woes last night could be attributed to that knowledge offset. The real problem was IMO too many Zags were a step slow on defense for most of the game.

Good retort, can't disagree with that. Their 3 point woes last night could be attributed to that knowledge offset. The real problem was IMO too many Zags were a step slow on defense for most of the game.
    The most disconcerting aspect of last night's game was we were playing as the lesser team, slowing down, while USF was running and gunning, feeling free. If GU's talent is so dominant then the reverse should have occurred. Minlend was by far the best, most assertive player on the court. Joel and Tils were our best, maybe Ryan a bit.

A Big East, SEC, or ACC 8/9 would probably take us out, yes. We're not overpowering anyone, we arent stopping anyone with our defensive prowess and we dont have backbreaking outside shooting. The best thing we have going for us in the tourney is that other teams will have limited time to scout and plan for what we do have and then its just talent and coaching vs talent and coaching.

What bothered me the most was the lack of a coherent plan on offense. I wasn't sure what they were trying to do all night.

What bothered me the most was the lack of a coherent plan on offense. I wasn't sure what they were trying to do all night.
    Yes, that builds on my point. Few was coaching not to lose, too conservative, and that infects players without clearly superior talent -- think Clarke. We have no one close to that. Kispert was a total no-show, against USF!!

Michigan beat us handily and their season hasn’t gone well. We folded under an energetic BYU onslaught. These do bring troubling questions that lurks in our minds. It seems this Zag team lost something from the great start this year. The intense defense, the lack of fear shooting the three, the free flowing fast pace and crisp passing. What happened? Can’t get far without these things. Did coaches try to alter this team’s DNA too much?
    To Fish & Game: Keep streams stocked well for Mr. Few!

I think sw16 and that's best i truly believe. I want a deeper run but dont we all.
    Love the zags for life

Quote Originally Posted by GrizZAG View Post
    Michigan beat us handily and their season hasn’t gone well. We folded under an energetic BYU onslaught. These do bring troubling questions that lurks in our minds. It seems this Zag team lost something from the great start this year. The intense defense, the lack of fear shooting the three, the free flowing fast pace and crisp passing. What happened? Can’t get far without these things. Did coaches try to alter this team’s DNA too much?
    Or maybe that was a misleading picture of this team, borne of catching many good and perhaps ultimately better teams early in their own development.

The bottom line is the OP -- a F4 run -- is absurd.

Every team has flaws this year, and they have all been exposed. It's just survive and advance.............

Get the #1 seed in the west, see what happens. One thing in the ZAGS favor is the 6 guys averaging in double figures, with Timme at 9.5 or so. Lots of options, not a one trick pony. Another thing in the ZAGS favor was said last night by the ESPN talking heads.............ZAGS can play up tempo or an "ugly it up" low scoring grinder, doesn't matter. This team is awfully hard to prepare for with limited time.

Tillie is the difference maker. Teams can't press with he and Woolie bringing the ball up, can't clog up the middle with him roaming the perimeter, can't cover him one-on one off the bounce. Killian opens up the floor for everyone else. Also, Corey has to score more than 4 points, especially from behind the arc. The defense is adequate, not stifling but good enough.

Got to make FT's at 70%+ and limit TO's to 12 or fewer or S16 is ceiling.

In the words of Russell Wilson......................Why not us??

Gonna be fun, just like the last 21 years straight. Enjoy the ride.................

Go ZAGS

Yes, that builds on my point. Few was coaching not to lose, too conservative, and that infects players without clearly superior talent -- think Clarke. We have no one close to that. Kispert was a total no-show, against USF!!
    Jazz............most of the time I would agree with you on the "coaching not to lose" point, but respectfully disagree with that ethos last night. Coach has beaten USF, I think 18 straight or so, and Golden was going to "hack a Shaq" Filip and others at the end of the game to try and steal a win. So, Coach basically said to USF..............come beat me. Again, they couldn't. With that being said, I didn't understand the stand around and look at the clock in the last minute, but you can't argue with success.

Survive and advance.............

Go ZAGS

Filip's gotten more physical as the season has progressed, so I'm optimistic.
    There's no evidence or any correlation in the enormous college basketball record to support this idea. There's nothing special or different or especially apt to favor the underdog or twice-beaten team in a third matchup.

That saying is akin to saying it's hard to roll dice 3x in a row and gets 7s each time. It is true, but each trial is completely independent with no carryover effects. Bball matchups show the same.