• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • 75Zag
    Zag for Life
    • Mar 2007

NCAA Changes? closed due to now deleted political comments

I fear that my 4 very fancy half-court tickets to the NCAA regional games in Spokane may not be as useful as I hoped. There have been several media stories this morning about the possibility that the NCAA will move certain games or maybe play some games in a closed arena (no spectators or fans) to avoid the virus. Given that Washington State is the "epicenter" of the virus in the US, I fear that the Spokane games are going to be moved. You are all smarter and better connected than I am. What are the odds that the Spokane games will actually occur? I am thinking less than 10%. PLEASE CONVINCE ME THAT I AM WRONG!!!

On the positive side, there will be some incredible bargains on ticket prices available on Stub Hub because of all the people who think they are going to die by attending a basketball game. But when it comes down to it, what is more important, cheering GU basketball to victory or living a couple extra years? I will take GU basketball every time.

Go Zags!
    Do not go gentle into that good night,
    Old age should burn and rave at close of day;
    Rage, rage against the dying of the light.
  • gonzagafan62
    Zag for Life
    • Nov 2013

Me too. Wish I was there
    Qualified for 26 Straight Big Dances

15 Straight Round of 32s

14 Sweet Sixteens (9 Straight)

6 Elite Eights

2017 AND 2021 FINAL FOUR

2 Winningest Players in college basketball history (Karnowski 137, Perkins 134)

2021 Undefeated Regular Season

The Best Point Guard to ever play the game: John Stockton, most assists, most steals.

Comment

• willandi
      Zag for Life
      • Nov 2007

Originally posted by 75Zag View Post
      I fear that my 4 very fancy half-court tickets to the NCAA regional games in Spokane may not be as useful as I hoped. There have been several media stories this morning about the possibility that the NCAA will move certain games or maybe play some games in a closed arena (no spectators or fans) to avoid the virus. Given that Washington State is the "epicenter" of the virus in the US, I fear that the Spokane games are going to be moved. You are all smarter and better connected than I am. What are the odds that the Spokane games will actually occur? I am thinking less than 10%. PLEASE CONVINCE ME THAT I AM WRONG!!!

On the positive side, there will be some incredible bargains on ticket prices available on Stub Hub because of all the people who think they are going to die by attending a basketball game. But when it comes down to it, what is more important, cheering GU basketball to victory or living a couple extra years? I will take GU basketball every time.

Go Zags!
      There is no way to know, but unless there is a huge spreading and many more deaths, I don't see the games as being cancelled or relocated. There is too much financially riding on it.
      If it were me and I was the Davenport et al, I would be promoting a watch event, big screen TV with drinks served for those that MIGHT be displaced but still showed up.
      We vended at the Custer Spring Arts and Crafts show this weekend past, at the Spokane Fairgrounds, and attendance was miserable. Many, many people stayed away. Some said that attendance was down by as much as 75%. I don't expect the NCAA's to be nearly that impacted w/o a serious surge in fatalities.

I suppose that I should add that I am NOT in any way a medical practitioner and that the opinions expressed here are MY opinions and no one elses.
      I wouldn't want to offend any sensibilities.
      Not even a smile? What's your problem!

Comment

• TexasZagFan
        Zag for Life
        • Feb 2007

O/T, but I just read where the St. Patrick's Day Parade in Dublin was cancelled. Took me back to when my son's HS band marched in that parade 16 years ago. I have a great deal of empathy for this year's attendees and their families, who incurred great expense in paying, and preparing, for this trip.

Comment

• willandi
          Zag for Life
          • Nov 2007

Originally posted by TexasZagFan View Post
          O/T, but I just read where the St. Patrick's Day Parade in Dublin was cancelled. Took me back to when my son's HS band marched in that parade 16 years ago. I have a great deal of empathy for this year's attendees and their families, who incurred great expense in paying, and preparing, for this trip.
          I would have expected that liberal doses of alcohol would have helped in Dublin. They might be short of cask strength.
          Not even a smile? What's your problem!

Comment

• Zags11
            Banned
            • Mar 2008

If it stays the same, i think it will go on as normal.

Comment

• tummydoc
              Zag for Life
              • Feb 2013

75, your right those seats are worthless. I'll be nice and give you 20 bucks for them. Cant see ncaa cancelling, students are higher risk on campus. Uw is doing remaining quarter classes on line. Big uncertainty is Islee.

Comment

• LongIslandZagFan
                • Feb 2007

Heading more and more in that direction. Several universities here in the NY area are going all online for the next few weeks. Fordham and Hofstra I definitely know are... Heard Columbia is heading that direction. Long Island Univeristy very well could be in next few days. Haven't heard about St. John's yet.

Goldman Sachs, Merrill Lynch, and a few other major financial companies are going to alternating weeks of 50/50 where 50 percent of the workforce works from home the other 50% go in and then alternate the following week to reduce congestion in the city.

Washington BTW... is likely to be surpassed by NY as the epicenter as one lawyer impacted about 1200 people on one doctor in Westchester is now linked to 80 confirmed cases.
                "And Morrison? He did what All-Americans do. He shot daggers in the daylight and stole a win." - Steve Kelley (Seattle Times)

"Gonzaga is a special place, with special people!" - Dan Dickau #21

Foo me once shame on you, Foo me twice shame on me.

2012 Foostrodamus - Foothsayer of Death

Comment

• NotoriousZ
                  Zag for Life
                  • Oct 2008

All I know is that after all these years of waiting for the Zags to get the Spokane pod, if they are relocated or play in an empty arena, I might have to face the possibility that God is indeed a Gael.

It's peanut butter jelly time!

Comment

• zagnut2012
                    Kennel Club Material
                    • Dec 2009

I'll give you $30...….
                    Originally posted by tummydoc View Post
                    75, your right those seats are worthless. I'll be nice and give you 20 bucks for them. Cant see ncaa cancelling, students are higher risk on campus. Uw is doing remaining quarter classes on line. Big uncertainty is Islee.

Comment

• Gonzagit
                      Kennel Club Material
                      • Nov 2017

Originally posted by NotoriousZ View Post
                      All I know is that after all these years of waiting for the Zags to get the Spokane pod, if they are relocated or play in an empty arena, I might have to face the possibility that God is indeed a Gael.

LOL - so good

Comment

• gonstu
                        Zag for Life
                        • Feb 2007

Originally posted by NotoriousZ View Post

This is a legendary post. Good one.

Comment

• CarolinaZagFan
                          Zag for Life
                          • Dec 2007

I’ve been steady monitoring ticket prices in Atlanta. Thinking I might be able to go to the Final Four this year for about a quarter of the usual price.
                          "There is always some kid who may be seeing me for the first time. I owe him my best."--Joe DiMaggio

Comment

• Jakester425
                            Kennel Club Alum
                            • Sep 2008

Originally posted by CarolinaZagFan View Post
                            I’ve been steady monitoring ticket prices in Atlanta. Thinking I might be able to go to the Final Four this year for about a quarter of the usual price.
                            My brother and I were originally going to go to LA for the Sweet 16/Elite 8 games. Now with the drop in airfare costs, we are holding out for the Final Four. It will be a great experience if the Zags are able to make it that far.

Comment

• Mr Vulture
                              Zag for Life
                              • May 2008

Barring a major outbreak in the Spokane area that is untrackable, I think things will be a go. Just last week they held the State B's in the Arena and the Arena facilities have said they are being cognizant of coronavirus but nothing was being affected at this point. Things can change but I feel better about it having no issues with the venue now than I did this time last week.

Comment

Working...
                              X