Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: WCC Year End Awards - Petrusev Player of the Year

Default WCC Year End Awards - Petrusev Player of the Year

To the victor go the spoils. . .

It's a tradition unlike any other. . .The WCC continues to irritate the hell out CDC84 (and many others) by having a ten player "first team" in its post-season recognition menu. . .the results will be announced Tuesday, 3/3.

Players can be selected for individual honors and All-WCC First Team honors, e.g., Clarke & Hachimura in 18-19.

Player of the Year:
    Coach of the Year:
    Defensive Player of the Year:
    Newcomer of the Year:

All-WCC MBB First Team. (10 slots )
    All-WCC MBB Second Team ( 5 slots)
    All-WCC MBB Freshman Team (5 slots)

Honorable Mention Selections: Appears to be one player from any school that doesn't have a player selected to the first or second team. (Akin to the "Others Receiving Votes" notes on an AP Poll).

WCC Stats : https://wccsports.com/documents/2019..._WCC_Stats.pdf
    Sports Reference.com WCC Leaders Stats: https://www.sports-reference.com/cbb...0-leaders.html
    2019-20 WCC POW Results: http://guboards.spokesmanreview.com/...MBB-POW-Thread

2018-19 Post-Season Awards Results here: http://guboards.spokesmanreview.com/...52#post1438852

Who are your predicted winners ?
    Last edited by RenoZag; 03-03-2020 at 10:23 AM.

Love Sean Farnham. But, really Sean? Touting Pope at BYU for Coach of the Year in the WCC? The national COY is in the WCC, and it ain't Pope.

All guesses, ofc. Guarantee you I'm forgetting a name or 2

Player of the Year: Yoeli Childs
    Coach of the Year: Mark Pope or Damon Stoudamire
    Defensive Player of the Year: Ryan Woolridge
    Newcomer of the Year: Woolridge/Toolson

Petrusev
    Tillie
    Kispert
    Childs
    Haws
    Ford
    Fitts
    Ross
    Tripp
    Kam Edwards

Kes Edwards
    Hartfield
    Minlend
    Vrankic
    Scott

Timme
    Zidek (Pep)
    J. Williams (SC)
    Leaupepe (LMU)
    Bediako (SC)

Quote Originally Posted by Markburn1 View Post
    Love Sean Farnham. But, really Sean? Touting Pope at BYU for Coach of the Year in the WCC? The national COY is in the WCC, and it ain't Pope.
    How funny would that be if Few won the national coach of the year and the WCC gave it to someone else. We can actually see it happen.
    It's peanut butter jelly time!

POY - Petrusev
    COY - Stoudamire
    DPOY - Woolridge
    NOY - Toolson

First Team
    1. Petrusev - GU
    2. Kispert - GU
    3. Tillie - GU
    4. Childs - BYU
    5. Toolson - BYU
    6. Haws - BYU
    7. Ford - SMC
    8. Fitts - SMC
    9. Tripp - PAC
    10. Ross - PEPP

Second Team
    1. Woolridge - GU
    2. Minlend - USF
    3. Kam. Edwards - PEPP
    4. Kar. Edwards - PEPP
    5. Scott - LMU

Timme - Freshman team
    Ayayi - Honorable mention
    Gilder - Honorable mention

Hardest choice for me was Tillie vs Kam Edwards for 1st team. Tillie missed 9 games (3 in conference). Also thought Childs was the best player in the conference, but he missed 13 games (4 in conference) so can't see him winning player of year. Tough choice for coach of the year, Few, Pope, and Stoudamire all exceeded expectations.

Pope brought a new energy to the Cougs but he had 2 returning 1st teamers & brought Toolson (WAC POY).

Stoudamire had tremendous roster churn with some guys bailing on him. 9 new faces (Zags had 8 counting Ballo & Ravet). He's sittin' on 23 wins right now. Granted, his NCSOS was pretty weak, but as the Zags know you still have to integrate all these new players & win games.

I would give COY to Mighty Mouse.
    This post is for March Madness seeding purposes only.

Should I do what should the list be? Or what the list will be? I guess is predictions so the what it will be is the answer I suppose.

COY should be Few,
    COY minus Gonzaga should be Stoudamire
    Probably will be Pope.

And the rest is pretty apparent imo
    Qualified for 22 Straight Big Dances

11 Straight Round of 32s

10 Sweet Sixteens (5 Straight)

4 Elite Eights

2017 FINAL FOUR

2 Winningest Players in college basketball history (Karnowski 137, Perkins 134)

The Best Point Guard to ever play the game: John Stockton, most assists, most steals.

Coach of the Year, in my opinion, should be Few for his continued success and regular season title despite a depleted and largely new roster.

If not Few, then I think Pope is the only other option. He did a lot in his first year and did everything we can ask of coaches in the WCC... get a lot out of your players, schedule difficult games, win games, make the tournament with an auto bid.

Stoudamire had a great year and may have had the greatest improvement for his respective team with Pacific, but I don't think the WCC should be awarding COY to a coach who brought his team to 4th with no chance at an autobid in a conference of 10 teams. I hope Stoudamire's team makes the NCAAs next year, improves on their record, and he wins COY then, but 4th place isn't good enough for COY honors in this poster's opinion.

COY should be Few. Not sure why this is debatable. Huge turnover, thin lineup, dealing with injuries, and still gets his team to not only win the WCC but play to a projected #1 seed?

Pope would be in 2nd place.
    If you can't handle the confusion, stay out of the Foo!

Uber on GuBoards: "Pathetic. We've got posters just sleepwalking through threads."

No Foo for You!

As far as the individual awards: I think one can make a case for any of the Top 3. We'll find out Tuesday how the votes tally up.

Predictions / Top 3 Candidates

Player of the Year: Yoeli Childs / ( Petrusev, Childs, Ford )
    Coach of the Year: Pope / (Few, Pope, Stoudamire )
    Defensive Player of the Year: Petrusev / (Petrusev, Tripp, Woolridge)
    Newcomer of the Year: Toolson (Woolridge, Gilder, Toolson)

Ford - SMC
    Fitts - SMC
    Haws - BYU
    Childs - BYU
    Kispert - GON
    Petrusev - GON
    Tillie - GON
    Scott - LMU
    Tripp - PAC
    Ross - PEP

Toolson - BYU
    Woolridge - GON
    Vrankic - SCU
    Kam Edwards - PEP
    Minlend - USF

Honorable Mention: Gilder - GON; Timme - GON; Kessler Edwards - PEP; Hartfield - USD; Lull - USF; Jamaree Bouyea, USF; Wright - POR

Chase Adams (POR)
    Drew Timme (GON)
    Jaden Bediako (SCU)
    Keli Leaupepe (LMU)
    Sedrick Altman (PEP)
    Last edited by RenoZag; 03-02-2020 at 09:50 AM.

Sticking with the main awards and with likely Zag honorees ....
    Player of the Year: Petrusev
    Coach of the Year: Few
    Defensive Player of the Year: Woolridge (?)
    Newcomer of the Year: Woolridge (?)
    Thinking Woolridge has a good shot at one of the two

IMO the POY will be Filip and especially on a team with 6/7 guys averaging 10ppg.
    The WCC is improving but I still feel Mark Few’s coaching this season has been his best yet - evidenced by only 2 losses with a tough schedule and how well the Zags performed in the 2nd half of games.
    http://www.fowlplaces.com/zags/GoZagsTinySignGuyGlassesColor.png

Steven Karr, via TSSF, on the POY Race:

LINK: https://www.slipperstillfits.com/202...source=twitter

The short version is this: If Yoeli Childs didn’t miss four games, he would be the unanimous player of the year. He’s been one of the best players in the entire country the last two months when he’s been on the court. But because he missed those games, it may not be enough to vault him over Petrusev. He doesn’t qualify on some stats websites, but if he did, he would lead the league in points per game, player efficiency rating, usage rate, and effective field goal percentage. He’s also second in rebounds. His PER is a whopping 35.1, which would trail only Brandon Clarke and Kelly Olynyk for best in the conference over the last decade. His 2008 career points are ninth-most in the WCC since 1985.

There is a coach who is currently in line for a 1 seed without a couple of his players that were expected to contribute this year. Let's not overthink this.

It's indeed amusing that the expectations of Few as a coach are so high that when he meets them, it's like it took no effort and he's not deserving of COY. The good thing is that even if Few doesn't win, Few will congratulate the winning coach and show great class regardless. That's why i don't care if he wins or not. He's already a winner.
    Krozman
    GU student 1996-2000
    Law Student 2000-2003

Quote Originally Posted by krozman View Post
    It's indeed amusing that the expectations of Few as a coach are so high that when he meets them, it's like it took no effort and he's not deserving of COY. The good thing is that even if Few doesn't win, Few will congratulate the winning coach and show great class regardless. That's why i don't care if he wins or not. He's already a winner.
    Yep...Same thing Michael Jordan dealt with every year when it would come to MVP voting. It’s the “How many times can you give it to him?” type approach. Coach Few is on that upper tier and then everyone else falls below.

[QUOTE=CB4;1508972

If not Few, then I think Pope is the only other option. He did a lot in his first year and did everything we can ask of coaches in the WCC... get a lot out of your players, schedule difficult games, win games, make the tournament with an auto bid.

.[/QUOTE]

Pope inherited a senior laden team. Childs and Haws were pre-season All-WCC team members. 5 of top 6 rotation players are seniors. Pope did a great job... but Few did more. Few lost 6 players. Had 1 returning starter... and brought them together to be a potential 1 seed. How is THAT not coach of the year?

I’ve mentioned before that I think Stoudamire deserves to be in the running. No one saw them being 4th this year, especially after the scholarship problems he had to negotiate.
    'I found it is the small everyday deeds of ordinary folk that keep the darkness at bay… small acts of kindness and love.'
    - Gandalf the Grey

Foo Time

Pacific passed a couple of middling WCC teams, highest of which is kenpom 95. BYU surely would’ve been just about everyone’s 2nd or 3rd pick in the WCC. Gonzaga had a better season than all but one of the loaded blue blood teams projected ahead of them.
    I think it’s pretty silly how COTY often, across all sports, goes to “whoever best exceeded preseason predictions” instead of “best”, but I’d argue Few did that better too.

Default WCC Awards thread

Awards will be announced this morning for:

Player of the year
    Defensive player of the year
    Coach of the year
    Newcomer of the year

Post your guesses or congratulatory sentiments below.

My guesses:

Player of the year - Ford
    Defensive player of the year - Woolridge
    Coach of the year - BYU guy
    Newcomer of the year - Toolson

Video Announcement will hit twitter, followed closely by the press release via the wccsports.com at 11:00am PT. The Women's Award results were posted at 10:00am and have been posted in the Women's Basketball forum

POY - Childs
    DPOY - Woolridge
    COY - Stoudamire
    Newcomer - Toolson
    "And Morrison? He did what All-Americans do. He shot daggers in the daylight and stole a win." - Steve Kelley (Seattle Times)

"Gonzaga is a special place, with special people!" - Dan Dickau #21

Foo me once shame on you, Foo me twice shame on me.

2012 Foostrodamus - Foothsayer of Death

And...

First team:

Childs
    Haws
    Toolson
    Kispert
    Tillie
    Petrusev
    Ford
    Fitts
    Ross
    Tripp

Second team:
    Scott
    Edwards
    Woolridge
    Minlend
    Gilder

Freshman team:
    Timme
    Zidek
    Adams
    Bediajo
    Willisms

Gilder second (3rd) team.
    Pleasant surprise.

Wondering about Newcomer. Should Toolson be considered? BYU, left, came back. Seems odd if he won it.

I figured poy would go to a senior. Count me surprised.

Congrats Petrusev!