Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Gonzaga WBB: Zags Set for Semifinals Against Portland on Monday afternoon at 12 p.m.

gee, dad disagreeing with me on something, actually, anything and everything.....nothing new under the sun....

the officiating was horrible, everyone I talked too also agreed and if not the number of fouls nor the number of free throws, its the inconsistency and the timing of the foul calls.....THAT inconsistency and timing, let alone the wrongness of some of those calls is what affected our 2,3 and 4th quarters . to call Jill with her 5th foul towards the end of the game with some imagined wrong was just the icing on the cake for our loss..

sorry, I talk to lots of people too....not one person disagreed.....so my 100 people trumps your "byu" couple by a lot.

our girls let the refs get to them no doubt......

you know very well that one ref (who will not be mentioned )has always had it in for us. She is not a good ref which is why they don't let her do the championships..you know when you see her on the floor that she will insert herself and smile about it......why the WCC hires these people is beyond me....

Portland is good....I believe we will beat them next year easily.....because I am a homer and a fan....because this is a "fan" board...

Actually, I agree with you quite often, just not so often when you are viewing the games through your homerism glasses. As you say nothing new here.

You might be surprised to know that within my family, I refer to you as my favorite poster. You want to know why?

You are a totally unashamed, horribly biased homer and proud of it. No matter how unreasonable the argument, you stick to your guns and can not be knocked off your perch. Good for you, I love it.

Quote Originally Posted by sylean View Post
    sorry, I talk to lots of people too....not one person disagreed.....so my 100 people trumps your "byu" couple by a lot.
    Not trying to trump anybody. Just a summary of an unsolicited discussion with an "unbiased" couple, that the board might find interesting.

i watched the regular season UCLA vs Oregon Wbb game and noticed the same officiating crew on that game that has officiated several of our games. In other Pac-12 Wbb games I have seen many of the same refs that officiate the WCC Wbb games even if the entire "crew" is not the same.

Carry On,

ZagDad

I watched the game, I did not think GU was hosed by the refs, but I didn't have a standard pair of Zags tinted glasses. So of course my opinion must be taken with a large grain of salt.

Quote Originally Posted by seacatfan View Post
    I watched the game, I did not think GU was hosed by the refs, but I didn't have a standard pair of Zags tinted glasses. So of course my opinion must be taken with a large grain of salt.
    I DID NOT SEE GAME. But on another thread you asked about which WCC teams were the most 'overzealous (my word_)... Portland and SCU were the worst, closely followed by Pepperdine and SF. More to the point, watch the replay of the Portland-UOP game in Portland just before Pacific went to Zag's in January.
    Late in the game, Portland guard went for a loose ball.... So did Pacific's Higgins..... from my 'tv angle' the Pilot player, instead going straight to the ball (I believe she would have been their first...instead angled towards Higgins, crouching low...luckily for Pacific and the WCC as a whole, she wasn't low enough to take Higgins out at the knees!!!! Because Higgins was going for the ball, she had the ball almost in her grasp before the collision! The Ref, made the unpopular (game in Portland) call....but it appeared to be the right call! As with other games at home, we lost some that could have been blamed on the "non aggressive" calls...etc. but we were diminished by injuries and some coaching (i.e. BYU) overtime game. I do not mind the aggressive teams, as long as the Ref's keep them from being MOB's, hacking and elbowing and going after the "NFL blocks" ... Santa Clara player actually made a perfect NFL block, continuing pushing the Pacific player out of the play......both arms folded at her CHEST.... which of course, screens are supposed to be stationary...no movement at all! Again...this type of activity is ignored while 'tacky-tacky' fouls are called quite regularly in the above 'aggressive teams' games! IMO

Quote Originally Posted by Kemo 1966 View Post
    I DID NOT SEE GAME. But on another thread you asked about which WCC teams were the most 'overzealous (my word_)... Portland and SCU were the worst, closely followed by Pepperdine and SF. More to the point, watch the replay of the Portland-UOP game in Portland just before Pacific went to Zag's in January.
    Late in the game, Portland guard went for a loose ball.... So did Pacific's Higgins..... from my 'tv angle' the Pilot player, instead going straight to the ball (I believe she would have been their first...instead angled towards Higgins, crouching low...luckily for Pacific and the WCC as a whole, she wasn't low enough to take Higgins out at the knees!!!! Because Higgins was going for the ball, she had the ball almost in her grasp before the collision! The Ref, made the unpopular (game in Portland) call....but it appeared to be the right call! As with other games at home, we lost some that could have been blamed on the "non aggressive" calls...etc. but we were diminished by injuries and some coaching (i.e. BYU) overtime game. I do not mind the aggressive teams, as long as the Ref's keep them from being MOB's, hacking and elbowing and going after the "NFL blocks" ... Santa Clara player actually made a perfect NFL block, continuing pushing the Pacific player out of the play......both arms folded at her CHEST.... which of course, screens are supposed to be stationary...no movement at all! Again...this type of activity is ignored while 'tacky-tacky' fouls are called quite regularly in the above 'aggressive teams' games! IMO
    Interesting. I watch a lot of Pac 12 games. To me Arizona St. and USC have long been the most aggressive, physical and over the top teams in the league. I've seen fans of various Pac 12 teams suggest UCLA, Arizona or Colorado were the worst. Oregon St. fans felt like they were getting victimized by other teams and officiating much of the season, but I saw a Stanford fan suggest OSU was too physical in a game (and Stanford is known for being plenty physical as well). Point is we all have different perceptions.

I agree with you, I do not like seeing a player trying to take another player out at the legs. Loose ball scrambles are often out of control. I also don't like how refs often allow a player to literally dive on top of the player who is closest to having possession of the ball.

Quote Originally Posted by seacatfan View Post
    Interesting. I watch a lot of Pac 12 games. To me Arizona St. and USC have long been the most aggressive, physical and over the top teams in the league. I've seen fans of various Pac 12 teams suggest UCLA, Arizona or Colorado were the worst. Oregon St. fans felt like they were getting victimized by other teams and officiating much of the season, but I saw a Stanford fan suggest OSU was too physical in a game (and Stanford is known for being plenty physical as well). Point is we all have different perceptions.

I agree with you, I do not like seeing a player trying to take another player out at the legs. Loose ball scrambles are often out of control. I also don't like how refs often allow a player to literally dive on top of the player who is closest to having possession of the ball.
    When GU played Stanford, the Pac-12 Network interviewed Tara VanDerveer going into the halftime break and she said that Gonzaga was playing very physical and was being very aggressive. Tara noted that Stanford was going to have to get more aggressive and play more physical in the 2nd half if they did not want to get run out of their own gym.

In loose ball situations, when one player clearly takes out another player because they cannot get to the ball 1st, it should be an obvious foul. Equally so, when a player jumps on top of another player in an attempt to rip the ball away or get a jump ball call should also be a clear foul. What I don't understand is when two (or more) players collide, both with an equal opportunity to get to a loose ball, why a foul is called at all? If the ball is loose, nobody has possession, why is one player apparently entitled to the ball more than another, yet in many or even most occurrences when their is a collision between players going for a loose ball a foul is called, I don't know why?

I realize that there is a lot of leeway used in determining what is and what is not a foul amongst the referees themselves. If you watch enough basketball (both Wbb and Mbb) you will see marked differences in how the games are called. In some cases, the national announcers are even criticizing the officials for either calling contact which is not a foul or by simply ignoring contact which was a blatant foul. At the WCC Tournament, I noticed that many fouls that were frequently called in most of the Mbb games were simply ignored in many of the Wbb games. It appeared that the officials in the Mbb wanted to take control of the game from the tip, and many of the Wbb refs waited until later in the game to decide to take control of the game. I understand that the players have to adjust to the way the game is being played, but if the refs change the way they are calling the game, mid-game, it is unfair to the players and leads to numerous, unnecessary fouls, which could have an impact on the game. Call the game from the tip to the final buzzer the same way. If it is a foul in the 1st quarter it should be a foul in the 4th quarter.

What is funny is that if you read the various message boards (including this one) in a variety of conferences, on the same game, you will have the homer fans, from both sides, saying how the refs stole the game from them. This same dialog is repeated on the boards after every or every other game, no matter who happens to be the refs that day.

Not every official is "out to get...….." (fill in the blank). The refs are not trying to foul out "your" players. Fouls are missed, occasionally fouls are called that are non-existent, it happens to every team in every game. Some conferences are noted for being much more physical and are very proud of the reputation (Big East Mbb for example), while some teams (Gonzaga in the past, UCLA, etc.) have been called soft. Once again, a team can only be as physical as the officials let them be. If the officials are blatantly missing calls or calling the game one-sided, it is the head coach's job to get in the officials ear to call out where the calls are being missed or calls are not justified. How many times do we see an obvious make-up call (like for GU against Portland) just after a coach gets in the officials ear?

At the WCC tournament, sitting in my assigned (lousy) seat behind the backboard, Joel Ayayi got a steal and was going for a lay-up. Two St. Mary's players were chasing him down, one from the side and another from behind. Ayayi missed the lay-up and after the shot was run into from behind. The officials called Ayayi for an offensive foul and the crowd yelled their displeasure. In reality, the officials got it right. Ayayi clearly placed is off arm into the Gaels chest and pushed, fully extending his arm to create space for him to make the lay-up. If you did not see the play from head on, you did not see the foul.

We as fans have to understand, we are not on the court, we frequently do not have the same views as the officials and more often than not the officials get it right. You will never see Mark Few or Lisa Fortier say the officiating determined the outcome of the game. Do you know why (besides the possible fine)? They understand that their team only has control over their play and they must do everything they can do that is within their power to win the game. The team has no control over the officiating. Thus make your shots, get the rebounds, limit your turnovers, and if you outplay the other team on the court you will win. Don't let the officiating determine the outcome of the game. Blaming the officials (especially week after week) is, in the vast majority of cases, just an excuse to cover up poor play by your team and is disingenuous to the opposition who very likely outplayed your team.

ZagDad

Interesting...

The season has been over for a couple of weeks and yet the discussion is still rough play and officials... go figure.

I have always said that the game of basketball has become physical with a whole lot of contact.... how the officials control the game is a guess game to game half to half. Does it have an impact on the game... more than it should. More than once I have seen the officiating take over the game.

Go Zags!!