Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Gonzaga WBB: Zags Set for Semifinals Against Portland on Monday afternoon at 12 p.m.

Worth blew a layup, tie up on the rebound and GU ball w/ 12 seconds.

Worth puts the Zags up by 1 w/ 8.5 seconds left. UP timeout, will get the ball at halfcourt.

Andrews hits the game winner w/ 3.5 seconds left. Midcourt desperation heave not close.

Well that SUCKS... congrats to Portland...possibly the worst officiated game I've ever seen... Lady Zags going on the road...

Go!! Las Zagas!!!
    "Learn from the past, Plan for the future, Live in the Now!"

Portland defeats Gonzaga 70-69...Pilots score with 3 seconds left...

Portland out scores Gonzaga in the paint 42 to 32...also in fast break points 11 to 3...

http://stats.statbroadcast.com/statmonitr/?id=309338

Had no answer for Andrews' drives to the hoop. Good play on her part.

March Madness, Can't believe it, unreal.
    Zags would beat them 99 of 100 times, just not today.
    Katie would have made a big difference.
    Not blaming the refs, thought Worth got several flops and the last jump ball should have been a reach in foul.

Looking over the stats, great FT shooting by Portland and soso for the Zags. Have watched 100s of games where FT were the difference.

All those turnovers. Geez. And giving up how many offensive rebounds. Ouch.

Quote Originally Posted by pony View Post
    March Madness, Can't believe it, unreal.
    Zags would beat them 99 of 100 times, just not today.
    Katie would have made a big difference.
    Not blaming the refs, thought Worth got several flops and the last jump ball should have been a reach in foul.
    I agree about KC... officials sucked both ways... fouls on JT at least 2 were no calls - Portland is here to stay... Fowler is going to be a force to reckon with.... have to congratulate the Pilots... they are warriors...

Okay ladies, time to get your head back in the game... you most likely won't be in Spokane but you're still going Dancing... guessing the girls drop a couple of seed lines to 5 or 6...

Go!! Las Zagas!!!

were you at the game?...the refs gave the game to portland....period....we didn't play our best but at every turn the refs screwed us....two out bounds hit by portland given back to portland, numerous touch calls against us while portland able to bump us, hit us, climb over our backs and that last foul on jill where she got a clean rebound.....outrageous....maybe the last foul on us where one ref called a jump ball and the other a foul on us..under portland basket......guess who got the foul...

and I really don't care whether some so called aficionado who doesn't even attend games says blaming the refs is childish, etc.....this game is important to me and I'll say what I think, along with the thousands that witnessed that game in person...

refs were over there after our brilliant first quarter doing their usual whispering among themselves.....those three particular over the years I've watched them....if they can get a tiny opening to screw us they do...

I worried when we came out fast that we would lose momentum and we did....lazy passes....not nearly the urgency and assertiveness as the first quarter.....that did not help....

I am just sick.....I feel like driving home now and forgetting the men's game......

I saw KC's dad after the game and told him that we just missed her sparkle and I asked him to tell her that.....

great year....not over yet.....but still very very bummed over this.....

Guess they'll have to bus the elementary kids to the game tomorrow. TV optics will be bad. Somebody just got bumped off the bubble!

well when your refs take out the WCC player of the year plus another starter what do you expect......

I'm not dissing on Portland.....they played their game....

but omg the officiating.....you can't win when you're not on your A game and the refs tie up your best players with creative fouls....

Default Rebounding and turnovers

Quote Originally Posted by Section 116 View Post
    Guess they'll have to bus the elementary kids to the game tomorrow. TV optics will be bad. Somebody just got bumped off the bubble!
    Rebounding and turnovers did us in. Points in the paint was also a pain point. Too many easy shots in the lane. Amazing turn of events in game much like our game in Spokane where we were down 20 and came back and won.

The ladies will be okay. Will regroup. Gotta tip your cap to UP. Helluva coaching turnaround in P town. They earned this one today...

Interesting stat-All 13 GU turnovers occurred after the 19 point lead!

I've seen a lot of talk about the physicality of WCC games. GU-UP was a pillow fight compared to the second game. Pepperdine-USD is brutal. Also brutally ugly. First to 40 might win. I'm pulling for Portland big time to get the auto bid now.

edited--USD up by 10 at the end of Q3, the way this game is going that seems almost insurmountable

In looking at the box score the game was lost at the foul line... same number of baskets, sames number of threes..

https://www.espn.com/womens-college-...meId=401211839

Go!! Las Zagas!!!

WBB: #11/11 Zags Fall in Semifinals to Portland, 70-69

Jenn Wirth leads Bulldogs with 21 points

LAS VEGAS – The #11/11 Gonzaga women's basketball team fell to Portland 70-69 in the semifinals of the West Coast Conference Tournament Monday afternoon inside The Orleans Arena.

"Anyone can beat anybody on any given night, so you have to do your best every single night," junior guard Jill Townsend said. "Unfortunately, it wasn't our best tonight."

Gonzaga (28-3) finished with three players in double figures, led by Jenn Wirth with 21 points off 10-of-19 from the floor to go along with eight rebounds and four assists. Jill Townsend added 15 points and five rebounds while Jessie Loera added 11 points and four assists. With her third assist on the night, Loera surpassed Amy Simpson for fourth all-time in career assists with 440.

The Bulldogs started off fast, making 13 of their first 16 attempts including a perfect 3-of-3 from long range to take a 29-14 advantage after the first 10 minutes. GU's 29 points are the most the Zags have scored in a single quarter this season. Both Jenn Wirth and Townsend had eight points each in the opening stanza to give GU the 15-point advantage.

Portland (20-11) responded in a big way in the second quarter, dominating the Zags inside with a 14-6 advantage in the paint while finishing 8-of-13 from the floor. The Bulldogs were outscored 21-10 in the second period, cutting the Zags' 20-point advantage down to four, 39-35.

In the third period, Gonzaga held the Pilots at bay, countering each run with a bucket to maintain the lead. A 7-0 run in favor of Portland capped by a bucket from Alex Fowler at the 3:05 mark gave Portland its first lead. GU traded buckets with the Pilots, but Portland's Fowler hit a jumper with seven second left to break a 51-all tie heading into the final period.

The final stanza featured six lead changes and four ties, and with 25 seconds to go Portland's Fowler hit two free throws to give the Pilots a one-point advantage, 68-67. On the ensuring possession, Gonzaga missed its first opportunity but forced a jump ball, giving the Zags another possession. Jenn Wirth converted the layup under pressure to put GU ahead 69-68. Portland called a timeout to advance the ball with eight seconds to go. Portland's Haylee Andrews drove left through the paint and finished the left-handed layup with three seconds remaining to put Portland ahead 70-69. Loera's final half court attempt that fell short as time expired.

"It's hard; I'm not very good this year at post-game loss speeches, which is probably a good thing," head women's basketball coach Lisa Fortier said. "This one in particular, there were a lot of tears of course."

Portland advances to the title game for the first time since 1997 with the win. The Pilots were led by WCC Newcomer of the Year Fowler with a game-high 22 points. Kate Andersen added 18 points while Andrews finished with 16.

Gonzaga will learn its NCAA Tournament seeding on Selection Monday on March 16; the selection show will air live at 4 p.m. PT on ESPN.

Gonzaga Article Link

Pilots Topple 12th-Ranked Gonzaga to Advance to the WCC Title Game

Portland 70 - Gonzaga 69 Final Box Score Link

LAS VEGAS, Nev. --- In a game that Gonzaga led by 20 in the first quarter, the Pilots and No. 12 Bulldogs battled until the end, and it was sophomore Haylee Andrews who hit the game-winning shot with three seconds left to give Portland a dramatic 70-69 win and secure a spot in tomorrow's West Coast Conference Championship game at the Orleans Arena. Portland will be making its first appearance in the WCC title game since 1997 after their semifinal win on Monday.

The Bulldogs opened up the game on fire from the field, and they built a 20-point lead in the first quarter. But a late Portland run in the second period allowed the Pilots to climb within reach, and they were only down four at the break.

The Pilots continued their outburst into the second half, and when Kate Andersen connected on a jumper from the elbow, it's was a two-point game. The Bulldogs recovered from there to maintain their edge, but with 3:02 left in the third, Alex Fowler hit a jumper in the paint, and just like that the Pilots were ahead for the first time.

Portland was on top 53-51 heading to the fourth quarter, and that lead would grow after Andrews made a lay-up before finding Fowler for a lay-in to make it a six-point game. The lead was still six moments later when Andrews again converted down low, but the Zags used an 8-0 run from there to surge back in front.

The Pilots refused to go away as Andrews tied the score with a lay-up with just under two minutes left, and the two teams would exchange the lead four more times during the game's closing minutes.

With the Bulldogs down one and the clock winding down, Jenn Wirth came through for the Bulldogs when she made a shot from point-blank range to give the WCC regular season champs a 69-68 advantage with only eight seconds left.

The Pilots then called timeout, and on the ensuing play they turned to Andrews, who was celebrating her 20th birthday. The point guard drove left, stepped back right, and found the bottom of the net with floater and only three seconds remaining.

Gonzaga's last-second desperation attempt was off the mark, and the Pilots had their first win over their northwest rivals since 2009.

Fowler finished with 22 points to lead the Pilots, and Andrews added 16 points. Andersen had a huge third quarter, and she collected 18 points for the game. Fowler just missed recording a double-double with nine rebounds.

Portland shot 49 percent against the nation's second best defense, and the 70 points are tied for the most points Gonzaga (28-3) has allowed during regulation this season.

The Pilots improve to 20-11 on the year for their first 20-win season since 1996-97. It's also the first win for Portland over a ranked opponent since 2014.

It didn't look good early for the Pilots as the Zags hit five of their first six shots and jumped out to a quick 12-2 lead. Gonzaga continued to make shots, and they soon led by 20. The Pilots recovered, and big three-pointers from Maddie Muhlheim and Jayce Gorzeman helped keep the Bulldogs within sight.

In the second quarter, Fowler and Andersen provided back-to-back lay-ups, and the Bulldogs soon went ice cold from the field. That's when the Pilots took advantage with their lengthy run, which was capped by another clutch three from Gorzeman. The Bulldogs' lead was down to just 39-35 at the break.

Tomorrow brings a match-up with the San Diego Toreros in the league's title game, which will start at 1 p.m. and be broadcast live on ESPNU. Portland is going after its first conference tournament title since 1994, which would send them to the NCAA Tournament for the first time in 23 years (1997).

The University of Portland will be holding a watch party at the on-campus Pilot House.

Portland Article Link

Quote Originally Posted by sylean View Post
    were you at the game?...the refs gave the game to portland....period....we didn't play our best but at every turn the refs screwed us....two out bounds hit by portland given back to portland, numerous touch calls against us while portland able to bump us, hit us, climb over our backs and that last foul on jill where she got a clean rebound.....outrageous....maybe the last foul on us where one ref called a jump ball and the other a foul on us..under portland basket......guess who got the foul...

and I really don't care whether some so called aficionado who doesn't even attend games says blaming the refs is childish, etc.....this game is important to me and I'll say what I think, along with the thousands that witnessed that game in person...

refs were over there after our brilliant first quarter doing their usual whispering among themselves.....those three particular over the years I've watched them....if they can get a tiny opening to screw us they do...

I worried when we came out fast that we would lose momentum and we did....lazy passes....not nearly the urgency and assertiveness as the first quarter.....that did not help....

I am just sick.....I feel like driving home now and forgetting the men's game......

I saw KC's dad after the game and told him that we just missed her sparkle and I asked him to tell her that.....

great year....not over yet.....but still very very bummed over this.....
    Okay, boomer.

Portland beat San Diego by 1 in OT, congrats to the Pilots. Someone on this board noted early in the season that the new coach was doing a really good job there. Indeed. I expect they will be taking a bus ride to their first round game against one of the Pac 12 schools in Oregon.

Portland Pilots women’s basketball clinches NCAA Tournament berth by beating San Diego in WCC tournament final

By Joel Odom | The Oregonian/OregonLive

The Portland Pilots are headed back to the NCAA women’s basketball tournament for the first time in 23 years.

Haylee Andrews hit a shot in the lane to force overtime and then hit the go-ahead basket in the extra period to lift the No. 4 seed Pilots to a 64-63 victory against the No. 2 seed San Diego Toreros in the WCC tournament championship game Tuesday in Las Vegas.

The victory gives first-year coach Michael Meek and the Pilots the conference’s automatic bid to the NCAA Tournament, which begins next week. The Pilots (21-11) will learn their draw for the tournament on Monday.

Andrews came up clutch again for the Pilots, one day after her floater with 3.6 seconds left proved the difference as Portland knocked off top-seeded and 11th-ranked Gonzaga 70-69 in the tournament semifinals.

Against the Toreros (20-11), Pilots freshman Alex Fowler poured in 21 points, 10 rebounds and three blocks. Andrews finished with 18 points, seven rebounds and six assists.

The game was tight throughout the second half and overtime, with San Diego’s six-point lead late in the third quarter the largest advantage for either side during that stretch. The Pilots then closed the third quarter on a 6-0 run to tie the score at 43-43 heading to the fourth. Neither side led by more than three points in the fourth quarter or overtime.

Andrews scored eight points between the fourth quarter and overtime, and her short jumper with 1:05 to go in OT proved the final points of the game.

The Pilots fell behind 8-0 in the first 3 1/2 minutes, but closed the gap to 12-11 by the end of the first quarter and led 28-25 at the half.

UP has not been to the NCAA Tournament since the Pilots made four consecutive trips from 1994-97.

The Oregonian Article Link

Portland 64 - San Diego 63 OT Final Stats Link

OKAY DOOM-ER......Mr. Negative....

Well,

You thought you were going to have at least one game that I did not babble on about a Lady Zag game.

Well I got news for you, I'mmmmmm back. Since the game against Portland was our Lady Zag's last game of the season, and I have finally have found at least part of my desk since returning from LV, I figured I would add my thoughts on the game before this thread dropped off the first page.

I'm going to disagree (surprised??) with everybody who said, we lost because of ………(officiating, rebounding, turnovers, free throws, etc.) because none of these items "cost" us the game. The game was a 1 point difference with the game winner hit by Andrews with what, 5.6 seconds to go? We can find probably a 100 different instances at some time during the game where we could have prevented a basket or made another basket, hit another free throw that would have changed the final score. Thus, IMO none of the reasons identified above "cost" us the game, but likely were simply contributing issues that, when combined with other reasons led to the loss.

The lady zags scored 69 points in this semi-final. 69 points scored in regulation would have won every game this season, including Stanford, except for the St. Mary's game played down there and this WCC semi-final game against Portland. Gonzaga did not need to score more points, to win this game, it needed to play better defense and hold Portland closer to the Zag Opponent season average of 51.8 ppg instead of the 70 points they scored in this game. Gonzaga had the number #2 scoring defense In The Nation and gave up 18+ more points in this game than their season average. GU let Portland shoot 15+% better overall than the average shooting percentage of a Gonzaga opponent. Look at these shooting percentages; Fowler 9-15, Andersen 6-12, Andrews 7-13 & Gorzeman 3-6. This game was not won from the 3-point line (like St. Mary's) as Portland only took 13 three-point shots and made only four. GU allowed Portland to score 42 points in the paint (where are you frontcourt?). The rebounding numbers were essentially equal, however, Portland did not get their second rebound until there was only 1 minute left in the 2nd quarter. Almost all of Portland's rebounds came in the second half when Portland outrebounded the lady zags 2-1 and maybe closer to 3-1.

This game was won, in and around the key. Portland took apart the Zag zone, and man-to-man defense, not a single zag defender stood out. Portland won the last three quarters running the same offense that they had run in the previous two games. Other than a few personnel changes, CLF did little to stop the Portland offensive onslaught. Maybe sticking 6'5" AV in the middle of the key not guarding anybody but simply playing to alter shots may have been a good play.

Officiating - Sorry Sylean, not going to bite. During the championship game we sat behind a very nice, older BYU couple and we got to talking about the Portland-GU game. They did not feel the game was disproportionately officiated (I agreed, afterall the same number of fouls were called on both teams and GU actually shot 3 more free throws than Portland) but they did say that the last three quarters of the game were officiated much differently than the first quarter. An interesting take, that I do not disagree with. My feeling about the officiating was that sure, JT, LW and several other players, on both sides, got some ticky-tac fouls early in the game. However, both of JT's last two fouls and LW's last foul were not even close. The Lady Zags clearly committed the fouls and got caught. When an upperclassman player is playing with 4 fouls, it is their job to keep their butt on the court and not commit a silly foul. A rebound or steal is not worth losing the starting player off the court. Both JT and LW lost sight of the big picture, fouling out with effort (but not smart) fouls resulting in two non-starters being on the court to try and defend against the game winning shot. JT had fouling problems earlier in the year and this carelessness with fouls came back to bite her in this game. Your experienced upperclassman (and conference player of the year) need to have more game awareness, then this.

Secondly, yes the Portland guards were using arm bars, hand checks and knees to try and steal the ball from the Zag guards and unfortunately, they were successful many times. JL frequently looked more like K-11 when handling the ball than a senior guard, 17th in the nation in assists. Keep in mind that all of those arm bars, hand checks and knees are not fouls unless they make contact with the Zag guard's arm/leg or impede the movement of the Zag guard. If the zag guard would have dribbled into the Portland player, it would have forced the Ref to make a call. By stopping and picking (or trying to pick) up their dribble, there is no impedance to the Zag guard movement, and thus no foul. Portland had 8 steals which they converted into 19 points. Gonzaga needed 13 steals to get to 22 points off of turnovers. Most of Portland's steals were off the GU guards leading to easy lay-ups. Got to make it more difficult to score points for the opposition.

Why did the officiating not cost us the game? The officiating had nothing to do with JW missing one of the two lay-ups in the last minute of the game. The officiating had nothing to do with the lack of defense by the lady zags. The officiating had nothing to do with the very mediocre foul shooting performance. The lady zags had a chance to win the game, but the second in the nation scoring defense could not keep the Portland point guard out of the key for 8 seconds. Don't blame the refs for this, these failures are entirely on the Lady Zag team.

To blame the lose on the officiating is a failure to realize that, on that day, Portland was the team that executed better. Congratulations Pilots. By blaming the officiating also is a failure to realize what the lady zags did wrong and what they need to do to improve for the next (and future) games. And they certainly had plenty of areas where they could have improved in this game.

Another issue I want to touch on is Rebounding - In watching one of the St. Mary's Mbb games (I think it was against Pepperdine) the ESPN announcer had a comment on St. Mary's #24, Malik Fitts. He noted that Fitts was watching the ball, while his opposition was working to establish position on the rebound. I think this same comment applies to the GU frontcourt in this game with the Pilots. Instead of doing the dirty, hard work (fighting for rebounding position), the GU frontcourt watched the ball while Portland players worked to establish the better rebounding position. How many times in the 2nd half did we see Portland get 2, 3 and even 4 offensive rebounds in a row, with every one of these instances leading to 2nd chance points. Eliminating even one or two of these 2nd chance opportunities may have led to a Gonzaga win.

The last issue I want to discuss is coaching. I think this is another one of those rare games where the opposition coach got the better of CLF. Give Coach Meek a ton of credit. His team never lost sight of the end goal, kept their heads in the game and noses to the grindstone. He had them believing they could and would win the game. The pilots believed they were the better team, and on that day they were. The areas where I think CLF was lacking were in three areas. First, I think she had the team slow the game down some (not necessarily a lot, but some) in the 2nd quarter with the Lady Zags having a big lead. We all know what happens when the Lady Zags try to run clock, and it happens every time. After scoring 29 points in the 1st quarter, they scored only 10 in the 2nd quarter, yet they gave up 21 to Portland. Second, the team did not come out of the halftime locker room with the level of enthusiasm we are used to seeing by our lady zags. Gonzaga came out a little flat on both sides of the ball and could not get their offense back on track after the 2nd quarter slowdown scoring only 12 points in the 3rd quarter but giving up 18 points to the Pilots. Rarely has the lady zag Wbb team failed to perform after the halftime break, but this game was one of those rare times CLF could not reach her team. Finally, I thought the defense that CLF set up on the final play was entirely wrong. Fowler and Andrews had beat their defending zags one on one all day. You could be reasonably confident that the game winning shot was going to come from within the key or just outside the key from the elbow. I would have put in JL, LF, MK, JW and AV and called a 3-2 zone with MK centered above the key a step or step and a half above the free throw line. I would put JL and LF on either side MK a step or 2 inside the 3 point line. JW and AV would be a step outside the horseshoe on either side of the key. JW and AV have to stay in front of the shooter and make them shot over 6'5" (6'3") do not leave the baseline open for a pass. They only had time for one shot, you don't have to worry about the rebound. If Portland hits a 3 for the win, good for them but do not give up what turned out to be a lay-up for the game winner. A good shot for sure, but the Zags could have made it so much tougher. Keep in mind that Andrews had already beat JL on very similar shots at the end of 2 of the 3 previous quarters. To let her beat you again with the same shot at the end of the game, is just not good coaching, sorry.

While the ending was not what us Zag fans wanted, not what the coaching staff wanted and certainly not what the lady zag players wanted, you have to give Portland all of the credit in the world. They may not have the better team overall, but on the day that counted, they were the team that executed better and deserved the win. With new Coach Meek, I think Portland is here to stay and next year our Zag Wbb will have their hands full with the Pilots. Welcome Portland to the top half of the WCC.

To the Lady Zags, thank you for your efforts not only during the season but also the pre-season and for allowing us to join you on this fantastic voyage. While the trip got cut short, you have established many, many fantastic memories and friendships that will last a lifetime. Thank you for the first Top-10 ranking of all time. Thank you for earning the highest ever seed by a mid-major (yeah I am going to claim it). Thank you for the memories of what is truly important.

You have demonstrated many times throughout the year what it means to be a Zag.

Thank You,

ZagDad
    Last edited by ZagDad84; 03-16-2020 at 11:29 PM.

I'm not going to assess the game at all. Just disappointment from me. But ZD, your last 3 short paragraphs are spot-on. Portland is and will be a worthy opponent with a great coach. No more gimmes when we play Portland anymore! Good competition makes GU better, but we fans will have to adjust to a few losses. (BYU will have their best player back from injury too and be tough next year)
    Lady Zags are classy, tough, and a boatload of fun to cheer for in every part of their lives! A special hug for Jessie and Katie! I wish your college careers could have ended differently...but you're going to have great lives!