Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Coaching Carousel about to crank up

Default Wonder if the WCC is considering Expansion...

Quote Originally Posted by Marconi View Post
    From what I've heard, Randy Bennet was GCU's first choice and was rumored to have been offered 1.5 million per year before turning it down.
    It's an open secret in college basketball circles that GCU wants out of the WAC and has been lobbying the WWC.
    ...if so, this could be good, maybe very good. A big Christian school with a big venue in a big city. Good potential for boosted recruiting for them, which would boost the conference's attractiveness for other members's b-ball recruiting. This fan could see GCU develop into another BYU/SMC. WCC wouldn't need to add a partner school (that is, an even number of conference members) -- not necessarily, or not immediately.

Me like.

:]
    Yeah, we're "The Champs," uh-huh!

Quote Originally Posted by Kiddwell View Post
    ...if so, this could be good, maybe very good. A big Christian school with a big venue in a big city. Good potential for boosted recruiting for them, which would boost the conference's attractiveness for other members's b-ball recruiting. This fan could see GCU develop into another BYU/SMC. WCC wouldn't need to add a partner school (that is, an even number of conference members) -- not necessarily, or not immediately.

Me like.

Except it’s not really a college. More like a Costco with schoolrooms.

Grand Canyon University is a for-profit private Christian university in Phoenix, Arizona. Based on student enrollment, Grand Canyon University was the largest Christian university in the world with 70,000 students attending online and 20,000 attending on campus

Quote Originally Posted by jazzdelmar View Post

Grand Canyon University is a for-profit private Christian university in Phoenix, Arizona. Based on student enrollment, Grand Canyon University was the largest Christian university in the world with 70,000 students attending online and 20,000 attending on campus
    Dude - we get it. GCU is not up to your standards. Real classy to continue banging on Liam Lloyd's college choice. You better have gone to Harvard with the way you talk S**t....

Quote Originally Posted by Gonzagit View Post
    Dude - we get it. GCU is not up to your standards. Real classy to continue banging on Liam Lloyd's college choice. You better have gone to Harvard with the way you talk S**t....

Close. Same league. And you should be only concerned that GCU isn’t up to Gonzaga’s standards.

FWIW, I know several families who had kids go to GCU, and they were VERY happy with the overall experience (kids and parents).

Quote Originally Posted by seacatfan View Post
    FWIW, I know several families who had kids go to GCU, and they were VERY happy with the overall experience (kids and parents).
    No doubt. There’s a school for everyone. I’m talking about the best institutional strategy for GU.

I thought they were in the process of becoming a NOT for profit school. No?

Quote Originally Posted by 23dpg View Post
    I thought they were in the process of becoming a NOT for profit school. No?
    Not quite. November 2019 report

The U.S. Department of Education will continue to treat Grand Canyon University like a for-profit entity because the school benefits a for-profit company and has significant overlap with that company, the department explained Tuesday.

The department's strongly-worded letter denying nonprofit status to the school calls into question whether the school operates mostly for the benefit of shareholders of a for-profit company. GCU is a "captive client" of that company, according to the department.

In particular, the department pointed out that GCU and Grand Canyon Education, the for-profit company that previously owned GCU and now provides services to the university and other institutions,share a key employee: Brian Mueller serves as president of the university and CEO of the for-profit company, the department noted.
    Last edited by jazzdelmar; 03-18-2020 at 06:40 PM.

Not quite. November 2019 report

The U.S. Department of Education will continue to treat Grand Canyon University like a for-profit entity because the school benefits a for-profit company and has significant overlap with that company, the department explained Tuesday.

The department's strongly-worded letter denying nonprofit status to the school calls into question whether the school operates mostly for the benefit of shareholders of a for-profit company. GCU is a "captive client" of that company, according to the department.

In particular, the department pointed out that GCU and Grand Canyon Education, the for-profit company that previously owned GCU and now provides services to the university and other institutions,share a key employee: Brian Mueller serves as president of the university and CEO of the for-profit company, the department noted.
    God forbid that a school should make money, while providing an education, rather than hemorrhaging money as fast as the State legislature doles it out.
    Hoping you have a sense of humor too!

Quote Originally Posted by willandi View Post
    God forbid that a school should make money, while providing an education, rather than hemorrhaging money as fast as the State legislature doles it out.
    All schools, including GC, and Gonzaga, get plenty of public money, state and federal. Largely through sponsored research, student financial aid and loans, and even legislative pork. Study up. But to your point, American colleges and universities as a group are as about as poorly managed an industry as we have.

All schools, including GC, and Gonzaga, get plenty of public money, state and federal. Largely through sponsored research, student financial aid and loans, and even legislative pork. Study up.
    I made a comment. I didn't say anything negative. Chill out.

If all schools get money than any school that gets money should be OK.

I made a comment. I didn't say anything negative. Chill out.

If all schools get money than any school that gets money should be OK.
    Got it. I added a sentence that supports yours, which was worded a bit contentiously. It’s not about money with GC. It’s about governance.

Got it. I added a sentence that supports yours, which was worded a bit contentiously. It’s not about money with GC. It’s about governance.
    Sorry. Misinterpreted it completely.

I still don't see it as a problem. As a for profit school, they have less money than the rest. They have to justify their pay.

Sorry. Misinterpreted it completely.

I still don't see it as a problem. As a for profit school, they have less money than the rest. They have to justify their pay.
    Final point. American higher education is about as hierarchical as any industry we have. For many reasons, for profit schools like GC are perceived as at the bottom. Some of that is snobbishness, yes, but a lot is well founded and well earned by them. Night.

Quote Originally Posted by Kong-Kool-Aid View Post
    https://twitter.com/johncanzanobft/s...147338752?s=20

University of Portland guard Malcolm Porter has entered the transfer portal, per sources.

He has one season of eligibility left.

I’m told UP plans to meet with his father and Pilots’ coach Terry Porter this week regarding his job status.
    If Malcom is transferring, that may give insight into Terry's position / lack of a position? In the current environment, if I were Portland, I think I would keep him on one more year if they had planned on parting ways with Terry. For a new coach search, hiring a new coach, bringing in new players as a new coach...that sounds like a very difficult task with all the restrictions being put into place.

Zag Shop (Thrift Shop Parody)

Gonzaga sind die besten! Gehe Zags!

Yea and Harvard with 38 billion dollar endowment fund is hiding behind the not for profit definition
    Basketball...The Toy Department of Life

Don't mess wth happy...Coach Few

Smile One Vote for One More Year for Terry

Quote Originally Posted by SWZag View Post
    If Malcom is transferring, that may give insight into Terry's position / lack of a position? In the current environment, if I were Portland, I think I would keep him on one more year if they had planned on parting ways with Terry. For a new coach search, hiring a new coach, bringing in new players as a new coach...that sounds like a very difficult task with all the restrictions being put into place.
    I really hope Portland gives Terry Porter one more year. He's had a terrible conference record the last two years, but looks to have good young players. Plus, Terry's very popular in Portland thanks to his Trailblazer years. Hope Coach Porter's given one more year, which results in a big boost in wins.

Quote Originally Posted by Hoopaholic View Post
    Yea and Harvard with 38 billion dollar endowment fund is hiding behind the not for profit definition
    Does this post have a point?

I think it does. The definition of nonprofit apparently means different things to different people. When the President of a private college has a salary of a million or more, I would say that person is profiting. Not to mention all the professors, administrators, etc. that are in the upper 5% of income earners in the country. Even the state schools have enormous salaries for a lot of people, including the football and basketball coaches.

Check out the salary schedule for University of California employees. I can't count the number of people being paid between $300,000 to $600,000. https://www.ucop.edu/institutional-r...lty-admins.pdf

I don't have a problem with anyone making whatever they can, but calling it nonprofit is a stretch in my mind.

The same thing happens in the charity field. They call their "business" nonprofit and the top people are raking in the dough.

Quote Originally Posted by Markburn1 View Post
    I think it does. The definition of nonprofit apparently means different things to different people. When the President of a private college has a salary of a million or more, I would say that person is profiting. Not to mention all the professors, administrators, etc. that are in the upper 5% of income earners in the country. Even the state schools have enormous salaries for a lot of people, including the football and basketball coaches.

Check out the salary schedule for University of California employees. I can't count the number of people being paid between $300,000 to $600,000. https://www.ucop.edu/institutional-r...lty-admins.pdf

I don't have a problem with anyone making whatever they can, but calling it nonprofit is a stretch in my mind.

The same thing happens in the charity field. They call their "business" nonprofit and the top people are raking in the dough.
    I can agree with you and the Non-Profits that pay their staff members exorbitant salaries should have limitations on what the program is permitted to pay, which I believe is determined by either the IRS or Congress...

I don't know and can't speak for other private universities/colleges but my understanding is that Harvard has a tremendous grant program, where students that are accepted BUT don't have the funds to pay tuition/fees/books/ are given grants.

Question: Does Coach Few make more than the President of GU?

No doubt. There’s a school for everyone. I’m talking about the best institutional strategy for GU.
    No you're not. You're running your mouth about a HS kids college choice. What does Liam Lloyd going to GCU have to do with GU's institutional strategy? You've said over and over (and over) that he (an 18 year old kid you've never met) shouldn't go there because of the school.

certainly

when you have colleges taking huge amounts of federal dollars, tax payer dollars, paying professors average salaries in excess of 250,000 a year and hord a huge endowment savings account only to come back and take more from the tax payers and then hide behind a "non profit" claim is disgusting

Compared to GCU who pays an average salary to professors of 60,000 year providing a cost benefit to those who want to attend ......

the idea that it is "bad" to be a for profit to teach or educate is foolhardy in my book and is part of the problem of upper educational costs that have spiraled out of control
    Basketball...The Toy Department of Life

Don't mess wth happy...Coach Few

I think Bryce Drew might be a perfect coach for Liam Lloyd. Having watched Bryce play in college, there is a similarity in their games and Bryce is a super positive, high character guy. I think Liam Lloyd will surprise a lot of people. He is not just a shooter, he is good defender for his size, distributes the ball and has a HIGH basketball IQ. Last year when Gonzaga Prep won the state tourney, it really was Liam Lloyd that carried them in the final game against Federal Way. If he had not been so hot in the first half, Federal would have walked away with the game.

Non profit or for profit so many differences but it's mostly just in our perception of what we think each should be!

Anyone out in Zagland think Terry Porter deserves another year? I do. They were not bad in the non confrence and had some more than competitive games in the WCC. Unless Portland is going to bring in a huge name coach, I think Porter still brings something to the table in Portland.
    That is one tough job!