• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Bogozags
    Zag for Life
    • Jan 2008

Originally posted by Markburn1 View Post
    I think it does. The definition of nonprofit apparently means different things to different people. When the President of a private college has a salary of a million or more, I would say that person is profiting. Not to mention all the professors, administrators, etc. that are in the upper 5% of income earners in the country. Even the state schools have enormous salaries for a lot of people, including the football and basketball coaches.

Check out the salary schedule for University of California employees. I can't count the number of people being paid between $300,000 to $600,000. https://www.ucop.edu/institutional-r...lty-admins.pdf

I don't have a problem with anyone making whatever they can, but calling it nonprofit is a stretch in my mind.

The same thing happens in the charity field. They call their "business" nonprofit and the top people are raking in the dough.
    I can agree with you and the Non-Profits that pay their staff members exorbitant salaries should have limitations on what the program is permitted to pay, which I believe is determined by either the IRS or Congress...

I don't know and can't speak for other private universities/colleges but my understanding is that Harvard has a tremendous grant program, where students that are accepted BUT don't have the funds to pay tuition/fees/books/ are given grants.

Question: Does Coach Few make more than the President of GU?

Comment

• Gonzagit
      Kennel Club Material
      • Nov 2017

Originally posted by jazzdelmar View Post
      No doubt. There’s a school for everyone. I’m talking about the best institutional strategy for GU.
      No you're not. You're running your mouth about a HS kids college choice. What does Liam Lloyd going to GCU have to do with GU's institutional strategy? You've said over and over (and over) that he (an 18 year old kid you've never met) shouldn't go there because of the school.

Comment

• Hoopaholic
        • Mar 2008

Originally posted by jazzdelmar View Post
        Does this post have a point?
        certainly

when you have colleges taking huge amounts of federal dollars, tax payer dollars, paying professors average salaries in excess of 250,000 a year and hord a huge endowment savings account only to come back and take more from the tax payers and then hide behind a "non profit" claim is disgusting

Compared to GCU who pays an average salary to professors of 60,000 year providing a cost benefit to those who want to attend ......

the idea that it is "bad" to be a for profit to teach or educate is foolhardy in my book and is part of the problem of upper educational costs that have spiraled out of control
        The ones that want to love us when we’re up & kick us when we’re down, screw off honestly. Drew Timme January 2023

Comment

• CPkZagFan
          Kennel Club Material
          • Mar 2019

Originally posted by Gonzagit View Post
          Dude - we get it. GCU is not up to your standards. Real classy to continue banging on Liam Lloyd's college choice. You better have gone to Harvard with the way you talk S**t....
          I think Bryce Drew might be a perfect coach for Liam Lloyd. Having watched Bryce play in college, there is a similarity in their games and Bryce is a super positive, high character guy. I think Liam Lloyd will surprise a lot of people. He is not just a shooter, he is good defender for his size, distributes the ball and has a HIGH basketball IQ. Last year when Gonzaga Prep won the state tourney, it really was Liam Lloyd that carried them in the final game against Federal Way. If he had not been so hot in the first half, Federal would have walked away with the game.

Comment

• FloridaZagFan
            Bleeds GU Blue
            • May 2019

Non profit or for profit so many differences but it's mostly just in our perception of what we think each should be!

Anyone out in Zagland think Terry Porter deserves another year? I do. They were not bad in the non confrence and had some more than competitive games in the WCC. Unless Portland is going to bring in a huge name coach, I think Porter still brings something to the table in Portland.
            That is one tough job!

Comment

• SWZag
              Zag for Life
              • Feb 2007

Back to coaching changes...

LMU hires Stan Johnson, associate head coach at Marquette.

LMULions.com: LMU Names Stan Johnson Men’s Basketball Head Coach

ESPN: Loyola Marymount turns to Marquette's Stan Johnson as coach
              Johnson has extensive West Coast ties, spending time as an assistant coach at Arizona State, Utah and Cal State Northridge -- in addition to Drake and Marquette.

Zag Shop (Thrift Shop Parody)

Gonzaga sind die besten! Gehe Zags!

Comment

• Zagdawg
                Zag for Life
                • Feb 2007

Good addition to the WCC.

Comment

• sittingon50
                  Zag for Life
                  • Feb 2007

Someone on the LMU board with a "credible source" started a thread yesterday stating that Damon Stoudamire was their new Coach. The news received mixed reviews & then................oops.

But we don't play nobody.

Comment

• scott257
                    Zag for Life
                    • Mar 2009

Originally posted by FloridaZagFan View Post
                    Non profit or for profit so many differences but it's mostly just in our perception of what we think each should be!

Anyone out in Zagland think Terry Porter deserves another year? I do. They were not bad in the non confrence and had some more than competitive games in the WCC. Unless Portland is going to bring in a huge name coach, I think Porter still brings something to the table in Portland.
                    That is one tough job!
                    I would get rid of him. I liked him as a player but he is not a good coach. He has not shown improvement at all.

Comment

• SWZag
                      Zag for Life
                      • Feb 2007

Terry is staying in Portland.

OregonLive: University of Portland stands by men’s basketball coach Terry Porter

Zag Shop (Thrift Shop Parody)

Gonzaga sind die besten! Gehe Zags!

Comment

• sittingon50
                        Zag for Life
                        • Feb 2007

Originally posted by SWZag View Post
                        The posters on their site not too thrilled.

Comment

• ZagaZags
                          Banned
                          • May 2010

Originally posted by SWZag View Post
                          I'm glad Terry is staying.

Comment

• bdmiller7
                            Zag for Life
                            • Jun 2017

Originally posted by sittingon50 View Post
                            The posters on their site not too thrilled.
                            I wouldnt be either. He has finished last in the conference in 3 of 4 years, and 9th the other year. He has 1 conference win in the last 2 years. There has been no improvement over his tenure.

Comment

• CDC84
                              Super Moderator
                              • Feb 2007

UNLV tried to offer Randy Bennett 1.5 million a few years ago, and he didn't bite, so why would Randy go to GCU? GCU didn't do its homework and failed to understand its place in the pecking order within college basketball. Vegas is a better program, has more tradition, a first rate on campus arena, and plays in a better league. Randy has already shown thru his disinterest in ASU that the hometown thing isn't going to persuade him. At some point an AD is going to have to open their wallet, and no one has done that yet.

I keep saying this....if I were a BCS AD, I'd offer Randy 3 to 4 million a year. He's that great of a coach. But BCS AD's are gutless because they're more interested in winning the press conference instead of winning games. Bennett built SMC out of NOTHING. It's senseless that he has not been offered a job for at least 3 mil per year while dork coaches like Kevin Stallings keep getting recycled. Maybe a smart BCS AD will offer Randy 3.5 mil and he won't bite. But no one has done it yet.

Comment

• sittingon50
                                Zag for Life
                                • Feb 2007

Danny Manning out at Wake Forest:

Wake Forest let go of Danny Manning after one NCAA tournament appearance in six seasons. Whom could the Demon Deacons hire next?

And though not mentioned here, there is a thread on the BYU Forum saying Mark Pope's name has come up:

Comment

Working...
                                X