Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Coaching Carousel about to crank up

Quote Originally Posted by jazzdelmar View Post
    Thanks Bogo, much appreciated. The amount of debt they have poured on undereducated, underprepared grads is an abomination. The fact that many mainstream, legitimate schools have done the same in no way gets GCU off the hook. They have a role, but they’re not a college. Allowing them into the WCC would be a terrible mistake.

Spurious.
    November 13, 2019
    The U.S. Department of Education last week told Grand Canyon University that it had determined that the university remains a for-profit institution. The decision surprised many in higher education and could be relevant to other for-profits that are seeking to change their tax status, as well as to colleges that outsource the administration of online programs to outside companies.

Grand Canyon last year announced that it had received approval from a state regulatory agency in Arizona and its regional accreditor to convert to a nonprofit university. The university's publicly traded owner, Grand Canyon Education, sold the campus and academic operations for $870 million to the new, nonprofit Grand Canyon University. Under a 15-year contract, Grand Canyon Education provides a wide range of outsourced support services to the university in exchange for 60 percent of its tuition and revenue.

The Christian university enrolls roughly 105,000 students, more than 20,000 at its campus in Phoenix.
    The department on Tuesday released its 18-page letter to Grand Canyon on the decision. It also released a written statement, noting that the call was based on the structure of the relationship between the university and Grand Canyon Education.
    So if they go with a 30 year note and 40% of the money, it should be fine.

We could actually do with more schools being profitable rather than suckling on the taxpayer's teat.
    It's not funny.

Ahh, but that’s the point. Indirectly through federal aid to its students GCU does as much suckling as any more reputable school. Larding both students as well as taxpayers like yourself with millions in debt.

Quote Originally Posted by jazzdelmar View Post
    Ahh, but that’s the point. Indirectly through federal aid to its students GCU does as much suckling as any more reputable school. Larding both students as well as taxpayers like yourself with millions in debt.
    Yes. That's the point. They do as much suckling as any more reputable school.

I agree about the larding of taxpayers with much of the larding being the absurd rise in University funding via taxpayers, at the expense of actual educational programs. Cut the university funding in half and put that money into VoTech schools. Graduates would be contributing members of society from day one, not saddled with ever increasing debt from student loans. Fund the universities with tuition or have in state tuition be free, and fund via tax payer. Doing both funding via taxpayer AND tuition sure isn't working.
    It's not funny.

Quote Originally Posted by willandi View Post
    Yes. That's the point. They do as much suckling as any more reputable school.

I agree about the larding of taxpayers with much of the larding being the absurd rise in University funding via taxpayers, at the expense of actual educational programs. Cut the university funding in half and put that money into VoTech schools. Graduates would be contributing members of society from day one, not saddled with ever increasing debt from student loans. Fund the universities with tuition or have in state tuition be free, and fund via tax payer. Doing both funding via taxpayer AND tuition sure isn't working.
    Half into VoTech? It's the 21st century Will. Not everyone is meant to be a diesel mechanic or plumber, god love em, and they do well......I sent u a PM

Quote Originally Posted by bdmiller7 View Post
    I wouldnt be either. He has finished last in the conference in 3 of 4 years, and 9th the other year. He has 1 conference win in the last 2 years. There has been no improvement over his tenure.
    Would Matt Santangelo have any interest in coaching at that program? I probably wouldn’t hire him as the head coach as his first coaching job, but he might be a strong assistant coach with strong Portland ties for recruiting.

Quote Originally Posted by Martin Centre Mad Man View Post
    Would Matt Santangelo have any interest in coaching at that program? I probably wouldn’t hire him as the head coach as his first coaching job, but he might be a strong assistant coach with strong Portland ties for recruiting.
    He has good management skills, not sure he has done much coaching over the years. He would have to put some time in building his player development and scouting/recruiting skills. I would have to think he could have put in time doing that at GU where he could stay in Spokane if that is what he wanted to do.
    'I found it is the small everyday deeds of ordinary folk that keep the darkness at bay… small acts of kindness and love.'
    - Gandalf the Grey

Foo Time

This post is for March Madness seeding purposes only.

Quote Originally Posted by sittingon50 View Post
    Schadenfreude alert!!!! Only Chris “Monkey on his back” Mack would bring more joy.

Quote Originally Posted by sittingon50 View Post
    You'd think they might have investigated when 7 players transfered after last season, plus I think they had several leave the year before.

Quote Originally Posted by bdmiller7 View Post
    You'd think they might have investigated when 7 players transfered after last season, plus I think they had several leave the year before.
    It’s Wichita. Landry Shamet couldn’t bail fast enough.

Thanks for the link, bum.