Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Coaching Carousel about to crank up

Back to coaching changes...

LMU hires Stan Johnson, associate head coach at Marquette.

LMULions.com: LMU Names Stan Johnson Menís Basketball Head Coach

ESPN: Loyola Marymount turns to Marquette's Stan Johnson as coach
    Johnson has extensive West Coast ties, spending time as an assistant coach at Arizona State, Utah and Cal State Northridge -- in addition to Drake and Marquette.

Zag Shop (Thrift Shop Parody)

Gonzaga sind die besten! Gehe Zags!

Good addition to the WCC.

Someone on the LMU board with a "credible source" started a thread yesterday stating that Damon Stoudamire was their new Coach. The news received mixed reviews & then................oops.

This post is for March Madness seeding purposes only.

Quote Originally Posted by FloridaZagFan View Post
    Non profit or for profit so many differences but it's mostly just in our perception of what we think each should be!

Anyone out in Zagland think Terry Porter deserves another year? I do. They were not bad in the non confrence and had some more than competitive games in the WCC. Unless Portland is going to bring in a huge name coach, I think Porter still brings something to the table in Portland.
    That is one tough job!
    I would get rid of him. I liked him as a player but he is not a good coach. He has not shown improvement at all.

Zag Shop (Thrift Shop Parody)

Gonzaga sind die besten! Gehe Zags!

Quote Originally Posted by SWZag View Post
    The posters on their site not too thrilled.

Quote Originally Posted by SWZag View Post
    I'm glad Terry is staying.

Quote Originally Posted by sittingon50 View Post
    I wouldnt be either. He has finished last in the conference in 3 of 4 years, and 9th the other year. He has 1 conference win in the last 2 years. There has been no improvement over his tenure.

UNLV tried to offer Randy Bennett 1.5 million a few years ago, and he didn't bite, so why would Randy go to GCU? GCU didn't do its homework and failed to understand its place in the pecking order within college basketball. Vegas is a better program, has more tradition, a first rate on campus arena, and plays in a better league. Randy has already shown thru his disinterest in ASU that the hometown thing isn't going to persuade him. At some point an AD is going to have to open their wallet, and no one has done that yet.

I keep saying this....if I were a BCS AD, I'd offer Randy 3 to 4 million a year. He's that great of a coach. But BCS AD's are gutless because they're more interested in winning the press conference instead of winning games. Bennett built SMC out of NOTHING. It's senseless that he has not been offered a job for at least 3 mil per year while dork coaches like Kevin Stallings keep getting recycled. Maybe a smart BCS AD will offer Randy 3.5 mil and he won't bite. But no one has done it yet.

Danny Manning out at Wake Forest:

https://www.espn.com/mens-college-ba...-danny-manning

And though not mentioned here, there is a thread on the BYU Forum saying Mark Pope's name has come up:

https://www.cougarboard.com/board/me...ml?id=23623254

Quote Originally Posted by sittingon50 View Post
    His record sucks but who else are you going to get to go there and do any better? Pacific is in the same boat, that program will never do anything g because no one wants to live in stockton and coach the type of players they can get there

GCU is just down the road from my wintering grounds. There is clearly some big investment in those facilities no doubt. I don't know about their academic credentials or whether they are a school that prepares students well enough to be competitive in job markets, but I will say the student body is impressive. I attended the Tennessee / Zag game in Phoenix at Talking Stick and half the crowd or more were GCU students with their purple colors. They were pulling hard for the Zags to win and were exemplary fans. They also love their school and are proud to go there it was clear. Looked like a bunch of great kids to me.
    To Fish & Game: Keep streams stocked well for Mr. Few!

Quote Originally Posted by GrizZAG View Post
    GCU is just down the road from my wintering grounds. There is clearly some big investment in those facilities no doubt. I don't know about their academic credentials or whether they are a school that prepares students well enough to be competitive in job markets, but I will say the student body is impressive. I attended the Tennessee / Zag game in Phoenix at Talking Stick and half the crowd or more were GCU students with their purple colors. They were pulling hard for the Zags to win and were exemplary fans. They also love their school and are proud to go there it was clear. Looked like a bunch of great kids to me.
    This is anecdotal and it’s all the info I have on academics at GCU: I had occasion to talk to someone who had been a scholarship athlete there. He said he had transferred from his first university (PAC 12) because that school expected him to go to in-person classes, but at GCU he could just do everything online. While everyone is online now (pandemic), I’m not sure how I feel about the academic commitment at a school that requires zero in-person attendance from student-athletes who have to be on campus for sports anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by hushpuppy View Post
    This is anecdotal and itís all the info I have on academics at GCU: I had occasion to talk to someone who had been a scholarship athlete there. He said he had transferred from his first university (PAC 12) because that school expected him to go to in-person classes, but at GCU he could just do everything online. While everyone is online now (pandemic), Iím not sure how I feel about the academic commitment at a school that requires zero in-person attendance from student-athletes who have to be on campus for sports anyway.
    She wasn't an athlete but my ex boss's daughter graduated from UW and went to the London School of Economics.
    They met the professor on day one, in September, and had to hand in their one paper, their final, in June. Your grade, your even passing was all on that one paper.

At least that was how her Dad explained it to me...and she was that bright. After getting that Masters, she was hired by Deloitte's of London. That was interesting too.

She, and the other candidates, were sent to Paris and put up in a 5 star place with all expenses paid. In addition to the training part, she had to show up on time, bright eyed and bushy tailed. No hangovers allowed, no wrinkled clothing and no smelling like anything but ready to go to work.
    She was accepted and then had to take 6 months off, their reasoning being that those accepted had finished college and than the London School pressure, so needed time away to be sure that it was the right choice for the individual as well as Deloittes.
    She went to the savanna in Africa and helped a friend tag, track and catalog a pride of lions.
    She worked as a volunteer, while at UW, for the Snow Leopard Trust organization (she had started working at Cat tails at age 10, and they offered to provide her with a zoo keepers certificate so she could go to Oz and work with Irwin. She chose London and that was his bad summer).
    After she fulfilled her 3 years for Deloittes, and working in a paid capacity for the Snow Leopard, and having married a Kiwi living in Oz, they moved back north. She got a DR in animal something so she can move into management at the Snow Leopard, and she, along with hubby, are living in Sweden.
    Hoping you have a sense of humor too!

Quote Originally Posted by hushpuppy View Post
    This is anecdotal and it’s all the info I have on academics at GCU: I had occasion to talk to someone who had been a scholarship athlete there. He said he had transferred from his first university (PAC 12) because that school expected him to go to in-person classes, but at GCU he could just do everything online. While everyone is online now (pandemic), I’m not sure how I feel about the academic commitment at a school that requires zero in-person attendance from student-athletes who have to be on campus for sports anyway.
    Spurious institution....

Quote Originally Posted by jazzdelmar View Post
    Spurious institution....
    Aside from that being your oft stated opinion, why is it a spurious institution? Is a degree from there any worse than an undergraduate degree in Philosophy from Berkeley, a degree in advance basket weaving from U of North Carolina?

In my opinion (which is only really worth something to me), there are only a few fields that actually need a college degree and most of those require a Masters or Doctorate to really be of any value. In MY view, most university degrees are spurious. They may (or may not, depending on the individual student) give someone a more well rounded view of life, but reading can accomplish that too. They may show that someone can endure 4 years, or more, of University life so perhaps provide a glimpse into their proclivity to last at a job, but a 4-5 year apprenticeship or on the job training would do the same, and at the end of that one has an actual productive trade.

Please elucidate.

+1

Agree there's some suspect degrees in all schools. I will say if you are a chemist it would be hard to do labs on line LOL.

Most companies require a degree for professional jobs but it's mostly to demonstrate that one can pick a goal and finish it. A Harvard study that explored what parameters were deemed most important by hiring managers had surprising results. Education came in number four. Personality was number one, experience number two and third were skill sets for particular positions. Published in the WSJ about 10 years ago.
    To Fish & Game: Keep streams stocked well for Mr. Few!

Quote Originally Posted by willandi View Post
    Aside from that being your oft stated opinion, why is it a spurious institution? Is a degree from there any worse than an undergraduate degree in Philosophy from Berkeley, a degree in advance basket weaving from U of North Carolina?

In my opinion (which is only really worth something to me), there are only a few fields that actually need a college degree and most of those require a Masters or Doctorate to really be of any value. In MY view, most university degrees are spurious. They may (or may not, depending on the individual student) give someone a more well rounded view of life, but reading can accomplish that too. They may show that someone can endure 4 years, or more, of University life so perhaps provide a glimpse into their proclivity to last at a job, but a 4-5 year apprenticeship or on the job training would do the same, and at the end of that one has an actual productive trade.

Please elucidate.
    A higher education denier is a tough audience, whatever the degree of elucidation I can muster. Enjoy your POV.

A higher education denier is a tough audience, whatever the degree of elucidation I can muster. Enjoy your POV.
    OK. I'll make it simpler.

Why do you believe them to be a spurious institution?

Not opposed to higher education when and where needed.

Wasn't there an Ohio State FB player that left early to go to the NFL and then wanted to go to medical school, AND was told that passing the entrance exams was what was needed, not an under graduate degree?

Isn't becoming an attorney based on passing the bar and not on graduating from law school?

There are many architects that draw up beautiful plans, but the construction foreman, on the job, has to actually build things that work.

Billions of dollars are pumped into universities, everywhere, without regard to the need for the actual degree. It just seems that much of that money could be spent better.

None of that has to do with YOUR opinion that GCU is a spurious institution, and you have offered no corroborating evidence.

I think it would be a great place to coach and, if they can get into the WCC, a boon to the conference as well.

Quote Originally Posted by willandi View Post
    Not opposed to higher education when and where needed.

Wasn't there an Ohio State FB player that left early to go to the NFL and then wanted to go to medical school, AND was told that passing the entrance exams was what was needed, not an under graduate degree?

Isn't becoming an attorney based on passing the bar and not on graduating from law school?

There are many architects that draw up beautiful plans, but the construction foreman, on the job, has to actually build things that work.

Billions of dollars are pumped into universities, everywhere, without regard to the need for the actual degree. It just seems that much of that money could be spent better.

None of that has to do with YOUR opinion that GCU is a spurious institution, and you have offered no corroborating evidence.

I think it would be a great place to coach and, if they can get into the WCC, a boon to the conference as well.

Start with this. This is just a few wisps of smoke.

https://www.phoenixnewtimes.com/news...ersity-9705013

https://www.azcentral.com/story/news...es/1772342001/

https://www.bbb.org/us/az/phoenix/pr...345/complaints

https://markets.businessinsider.com/...ams-1028368551

At the same time, I concede that American colleges represent the worst managed industry in the country and that scores if not hundreds of institutions will shutter over the next decade.

At the same time, I concede that American colleges represent the worst managed industry in the country and that scores if not hundreds of institutions will shutter over the next decade.
    The first is a story about a single student. Was she advise that there would be a 16 week requirement to fulfill the degree? I don't know.
    The second and fourth are both about the same lawsuits as filed by Webb in Georgia. They have not yet been resolved.
    The third is Better Business Bureau and they hold no credibility with me.

Could GCU be fraudulent? Could be, but thousand have received graduate degrees. How are their job situations panning out? I don't know.
    Has GCU cleaned up some of their problems? Again...I don't know. Claims, in court, are not much until they have played out. Let me know about the rulings in finished lawsuits.
    Is U of North Carolina fraudulent? They admitted to decades of academic fraud, TA's taking tests and writing papers for students and programs designed to keep SA's eligible to play.
    Are they spurious as well?

Thank you for the response. I am not sure I agree with your conclusions, but thank you none-the-less.

Hi Jazz,

Excellent research!!!

Have heard this before and read similar articles...it's like a flimflam online operation...was an Educational Counselor at USAG Grafenweohr, GE and we wouldn't touch them with a 10' poll...

Quote Originally Posted by Bogozags View Post
    Hi Jazz,

Excellent research!!!

Have heard this before and read similar articles...it's like a flimflam online operation...was an Educational Counselor at USAG Grafenweohr, GE and we wouldn't touch them with a 10' poll...
    Thanks Bogo, much appreciated. The amount of debt they have poured on undereducated, underprepared grads is an abomination. The fact that many mainstream, legitimate schools have done the same in no way gets GCU off the hook. They have a role, but they’re not a college. Allowing them into the WCC would be a terrible mistake.

Spurious.
    November 13, 2019
    The U.S. Department of Education last week told Grand Canyon University that it had determined that the university remains a for-profit institution. The decision surprised many in higher education and could be relevant to other for-profits that are seeking to change their tax status, as well as to colleges that outsource the administration of online programs to outside companies.

Grand Canyon last year announced that it had received approval from a state regulatory agency in Arizona and its regional accreditor to convert to a nonprofit university. The university's publicly traded owner, Grand Canyon Education, sold the campus and academic operations for $870 million to the new, nonprofit Grand Canyon University. Under a 15-year contract, Grand Canyon Education provides a wide range of outsourced support services to the university in exchange for 60 percent of its tuition and revenue.

The Christian university enrolls roughly 105,000 students, more than 20,000 at its campus in Phoenix.
    The department on Tuesday released its 18-page letter to Grand Canyon on the decision. It also released a written statement, noting that the call was based on the structure of the relationship between the university and Grand Canyon Education.