• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Mr Vulture
    Zag for Life
    • May 2008

Spokane Regional ( COVID-19 Related )

Just a hypothetical question here. If Governor Inslee were to outlaw sporting events and larger gatherings in the State of Washington, as he's saying he is considering, how and where would they be able to shift the Spokane region too? I don't personally think this current situation needs to be met with the cancellation of events like being considered but I do wonder if there's any insights as to where things would go in such short order?
  • gonzagafan62
    Zag for Life
    • Nov 2013

I would guess there’s two options:

1. Follow the Europe idea and play in Spokane with empty seats
    2. Move to Boise or some other close region
    Qualified for 26 Straight Big Dances

15 Straight Round of 32s

14 Sweet Sixteens (9 Straight)

6 Elite Eights

2017 AND 2021 FINAL FOUR

2 Winningest Players in college basketball history (Karnowski 137, Perkins 134)

2021 Undefeated Regular Season

The Best Point Guard to ever play the game: John Stockton, most assists, most steals.

Comment

• Mr Vulture
      Zag for Life
      • May 2008

Originally posted by gonzagafan62 View Post
      I would guess there’s two options:

1. Follow the Europe idea and play in Spokane with empty seats
      2. Move to Boise or some other close region
      I don't think the empty seats is really an option as far as the NCAA would be concerned. I agree on another close site, but not sure what would be available on such short order. Hopefully it doesn't come to pass but what can you do if it does.

Comment

• FlyZag
        Bleeds GU Blue
        • Nov 2007

Originally posted by Mr Vulture View Post
        I don't think the empty seats is really an option as far as the NCAA would be concerned. I agree on another close site, but not sure what would be available on such short order. Hopefully it doesn't come to pass but what can you do if it does.
        Why? isn't it all about the TV money?

Comment

• Mr Vulture
          Zag for Life
          • May 2008

Originally posted by FlyZag View Post
          Why? isn't it all about the TV money?
          I just can't imagine the NCAA would want to have that environment for the games. If that became the case, I'd imagine it would shift to a different West Coast facility, although I'm not sure what could be secured in less than two weeks. It probably won't end up mattering anyway, but it's a possibility.

Comment

• FlyZag
            Bleeds GU Blue
            • Nov 2007

I just can't imagine the NCAA would want to have that environment for the games. If that became the case, I'd imagine it would shift to a different West Coast facility, although I'm not sure what could be secured in less than two weeks. It probably won't end up mattering anyway, but it's a possibility.

The NCAA announced Tuesday that it has established an advisory panel of medical, public health and epidemiology experts and NCAA schools to address the spread of the coronavirus, also known as COVID-19.

Comment

• CDC84
              Super Moderator
              • Feb 2007

All these years of never having a team good enough to make the Spokane subregional…….and now this. It's like a curse. This team DESERVES a break for all the hard work they have put in to be so much better than many of this thought they would be.

Comment

• Mr Vulture
                Zag for Life
                • May 2008

I was thinking the same thing CDC84. I really don't think they need to cancel all competitions or run them without an audience. I am sure there are ways they can play it safer if it came to it. One such thing could be moving fans away from the courts/benches by a certain distance (for the athletes sake). I'm not going to go into my view of the entire thing on here though. Right now, it would seem that Spokane, Sacramento, and Los Angeles regions would be the most likely to be affected.

Comment

• CB4
                  Zag for Life
                  • Feb 2009

Play the games in the barn in Moscow, Idaho.

Comment

• kitzbuel
                    • Feb 2007

I was thinking the same thing CDC84. I really don't think they need to cancel all competitions or run them without an audience. I am sure there are ways they can play it safer if it came to it. One such thing could be moving fans away from the courts/benches by a certain distance (for the athletes sake). I'm not going to go into my view of the entire thing on here though. Right now, it would seem that Spokane, Sacramento, and Los Angeles regions would be the most likely to be affected.
                    It isn’t the players that are being protected by the cancellations, it is the fans. The goal is to reduce large gatherings.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
                    'I found it is the small everyday deeds of ordinary folk that keep the darkness at bay… small acts of kindness and love.'
                    - Gandalf the Grey

Foo Time

Comment

• Mr Vulture
                      Zag for Life
                      • May 2008

Originally posted by kitzbuel View Post
                      It isn’t the players that are being protected by the cancellations, it is the fans. The goal is to reduce large gatherings.

I had said one way, not the only way, and also said for the players to be clear. The article linked above talked about protecting the players as they are the ones that are sent to the games. "Ramogi Huma, executive director of the National College Players Association, urged the NCAA and the schools to take steps to protect athletes." It went on to talk about limiting interractions with the fans at the games, etc.

Right now, the primary area affected in the US is Seattle (not the only place), and the majority is related to the extended care facility. I am sure if they go on with the games as expected, which I believe they will one way or the other, they will have very strict protocols in place.

Comment

• NotoriousZ
                        Zag for Life
                        • Oct 2008

Originally posted by CDC84 View Post
                        All these years of never having a team good enough to make the Spokane subregional…….and now this. It's like a curse. This team DESERVES a break for all the hard work they have put in to be so much better than many of this thought they would be.
                        The fans deserve it too. The previous couple of times Spokane got to host we've had teams before and after those years that might have been able to play in Spokane. Pass out masks at the gates and have mandatory hand sanitizer stations all over the place. We need this.
                        It's peanut butter jelly time!

Comment

• 23dpg
                          Zag for Life
                          • Feb 2007

Much ado about...... something but not quite deserving the hysteria that some are exhibiting. i.e. Mask hoarders, runs on water and such at Costco, this is not helping.

This virus is serious and should be monitored but the level of concern should not be panic mode.

According to the CDC, 16,000 people died from the flu in the US during the 2019-20 flu season.
                          39,000 people died in auto accidents in 2019.

It would seem obvious that you’re much more likely to die driving to the event than you are from COVID-19.
                          Again, not saying it isn’t important, it is. Just don’t go crazy. (Said to no one on this board, just in general)
                          Birds aren’t real.

Comment

• kitzbuel
                            • Feb 2007

I had said one way, not the only way, and also said for the players to be clear. The article linked above talked about protecting the players as they are the ones that are sent to the games. "Ramogi Huma, executive director of the National College Players Association, urged the NCAA and the schools to take steps to protect athletes." It went on to talk about limiting interractions with the fans at the games, etc.

Right now, the primary area affected in the US is Seattle (not the only place), and the majority is related to the extended care facility. I am sure if they go on with the games as expected, which I believe they will one way or the other, they will have very strict protocols in place.
                            I agree. The National College Players Association is going to be concerned about the players. Washington State Dept of Health and CDC are going to be concerned about public health.

That being said, there is about 3 1/2 hours of desert between Seattle and Spokane, so I think that plays in our favor.

'I found it is the small everyday deeds of ordinary folk that keep the darkness at bay… small acts of kindness and love.'
                            - Gandalf the Grey

Foo Time

Comment

• rennis
                              Zag for Life
                              • Oct 2007

It would be a shame if they had to relocate the teams away from Spokane because of the virus. And a real bummer for the Zags if they don't, AT LONG LAST, get to play in front of the hometown crowd.

But. it would be better in front of a crowd 2k miles away vs. at home in front of no-one!!!

I'm bracing myself for something to happen though. Wouldn't it just be SOP for the NCAA's to pretend like they're doing something by doing almost nothing? Let every other sub-regional, regional, and FF play-on without restriction, but drastically alter this one because it's in the same state as the "outbreak", and then tout how much they care about student-athletes and not mountains of money?

I'm not even sure what the right answer is here, but if any sub-regional is going to be impacted by Coronavirus, we're sitting in it.
                              Originally posted by Coach Few
                              We are not here as a #%$&%&! Courtesy!!!

Comment

Working...
                              X