Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Spokane Regional ( COVID-19 Related )

Quote Originally Posted by Markburn1 View Post
    Who is making that point? I think most everybody here has empathy for those at higher risk.
    "So if your under the age of 50 your chances of contracting and dying from this flu is extremely minute. Just like the common flu, only the elderly are at greater risk. Media doing their best to disrupt and politicize this situation. Shame. Approx. 50 people will die today in the USA from the common flu. Almost all of them will be elderly."

"THe old, chronic disease people (diabetes, congestive heart failure, neuromuscular disease, leukemics, people under RX for a whole host of things .usually are the victims. On the East Side of the mountains, we're doing fine."

"I am not saying dont take precaution but if you are healthy, you will 99% be fine just like other flu like illnesses."

These don't sound particularly empathetic to me. That said, I've seen far worse on the r/collegebasketball subreddit.

Quote Originally Posted by scrooner View Post
    "So if your under the age of 50 your chances of contracting and dying from this flu is extremely minute. Just like the common flu, only the elderly are at greater risk. Media doing their best to disrupt and politicize this situation. Shame. Approx. 50 people will die today in the USA from the common flu. Almost all of them will be elderly."

"THe old, chronic disease people (diabetes, congestive heart failure, neuromuscular disease, leukemics, people under RX for a whole host of things .usually are the victims. On the East Side of the mountains, we're doing fine."

"I am not saying dont take precaution but if you are healthy, you will 99% be fine just like other flu like illnesses."

These don't sound particularly empathetic to me. That said, I've seen far worse on the r/collegebasketball subreddit.

The briefing I got at work today, more or less, from the CDC

So SARS, MERS, and COVID-19 are all coronavirus. The target danger age range is thus far mainly elderly due to the nature of the lung infection and the ease of spreading. Unless it mutates, COVID-19 is a greater concern to those that the flu is a greater concern for, those with weakened immune systems, sufferers of COPD, etc, and the elderly. IT is however, proving to be fatal at a much greater rate to the elderly who is usually a victim of most if not all the afore mentioned conditions. The extremely young has not shown to be a target yet, or at least the data has not bore that out. Part of the problem is a massive lack of good data. That should start to change. Unfortunately (IN MY OPINION) all data is being politicized in this country and it's hard to figure out who to trust.

Saying it's just like the flu is a disservice, but not entirely false. This could be devastating to the large population base over 55 and maybe younger in other countries. Also, the flu has a yearly vaccine and we are able to diagnose it fairly easily.

In general people live to be old because they have been smart. There are exceptions to be sure, but doing the right things to avoid putting yourself into risky situations or taking chances leads to better odds of making old age. (stay off ladders) Things like eating right, exercise and watching our weight are prudent, but avoiding exposure to what could be life threatening situations is just prudent. Gonzaga has a distinctly older audience than average (myself included). I'd say us older folks would be wise to watch on TV regardless of what NCAA or any one else decides. Be smart about this regardless of how reliable data is at this point.
    Until real solutions are available to us over 70, self imposed isolation from crowds seems reasonable, common sense and smart. I'll be fishing on the lake in my boat a great deal..HA HA.
    To Fish & Game: Keep streams stocked well for Mr. Few!

I guess I'm reading those quotes differently than you. It looks to me that they are just stating what are known high risk targets, not finding any particular "glad it's them and not me" sentiments.

Quote Originally Posted by LTownZag View Post
    Death rate is calculated outside of any consideration for how contagious a disease is. The rate is(People who died from "x" / people who ever acquired "x") A disease with a 10 or 20% (or higher) death rate but which is extremely extremely hard to catch (HIV) should be responded to differently than a ver contagious disease which might have a death rate far lower.

So any reasonably wise response is based largely on how it spreads, not just the rate it kills. Make any sense?
    Yes but i still think the media likes to put fear in people. I mean ww3 was going to happen in january. It never did. I like to be informed but not told we are all doomed 24/7.
    Love the zags for life

Quote Originally Posted by Markburn1 View Post
    I noticed in the lower left hand corner a reference to the Chinese Center for Disease Control and Prevention. I wouldn't give you a plugged nickel for that data.

Also, I'd be curious to know if undiagnosed cases of the virus were factored in. There are indications that a large number of people with the virus don't seek treatment because their symptoms are so mild.

I think what ABE is getting at is when all the data is finally compiled there will be a far lower mortality rate than the media is touting at the moment.
    The undiagnosed cases are not factored into either metric. Both of them are displays of the measure of deaths against diagnosed cases.
    'I found it is the small everyday deeds of ordinary folk that keep the darkness at bay… small acts of kindness and love.'
    - Gandalf the Grey

Foo Time

Quote Originally Posted by kitzbuel View Post
    The undiagnosed cases are not factored into either metric. Both of them are displays of the measure of deaths against diagnosed cases.
    Yep. I knew that when I wrote that post. Was trying to gently nudge a couple posters to think about how their numbers came about.

Quote Originally Posted by Zags11 View Post
    Yes but i still think the media likes to put fear in people. I mean ww3 was going to happen in january. It never did. I like to be informed but not told we are all doomed 24/7.
    Do you have a source for this announcement of WWIII, or that says we are all doomed? I think you are misrepresenting 'valid concern' as 'panic'. They are not the same thing. Or as LTownZag pointed out, nobody has said "we are all going to die" as you previously indicated.

Do you have a source for this announcement of WWIII, or that says we are all doomed? I think you are misrepresenting 'valid concern' as 'panic'. They are not the same thing. Or as LTownZag pointed out, nobody has said "we are all going to die" as you previously indicated.
    It was reasonable to think an escalation toward war might be coming after the Soleimani attack, but cooler heads in Iran prevailed.
    Agent provocateur

I believe what Zag11 was saying when he or she referred to the 24/7 barrage of pending disaster media we are inundated with in general. The WW3 was figuratively mentioned to make a point. If it’s not a Pending Yellowstone apocalypse, comet, sun flare, or some other threat to humanity it’s an endless list of pending disaster not thought of yet. All these things can and likely occur but odds of most are extremely low in the near future. It’s overhyped shock, what journalism and media thrive on. It’s ridiculous. Am I close 11?
    To Fish & Game: Keep streams stocked well for Mr. Few!

Quote Originally Posted by sonuvazag View Post
    It was reasonable to think an escalation toward war might be coming after the Soleimani attack, but cooler heads in Iran prevailed.
    Exactly. Nobody said that WWIII was coming, did they? But there were stories that expressed concern that assassinating a leader in a nuclear country could have serious repercussions. And it still may.

Exactly. Nobody said that WWIII was coming, did they? But there were stories that expressed concern that assassinating a leader in a nuclear country could have serious repercussions. And it still may.
    And those concerns weren't random. It isn't like anyone has been hyping a coming war on a daily basis for clicks.
    Agent provocateur

Quote Originally Posted by MDABE80 View Post
    Inslee ? lolol It's bad in Seattle where ALL deaths have occurred. Spokane's not been a hotbed of infection. 4 in town we know of and 2 suspects were discharged home already..
    "It's bad in Seattle"

Where do half of the Zags fans come from?

It is the restrooms and concessions stands, all the fans sitting side by side that is dangerous. You get 4,000 people coming from Seattle (Where they closed the UW for the rest of the quarter) and now you have a problem.

They just canceled SXSW - which has 400,000 people in Austin Texas, as "out of the way" from San Antonio as Spokane is from Seattle.

The NCAA has NO good options, as will happen with epidemics. GU Florence closed.

I doubt that Inslee on his own will cancel it or forbid it (and he is not the only one who can cancel it, the city can), I can't see him doing it without talking to the NCAA and CDC.

I think I would rather have them move the games (yes, it sucks, but see the "no good answers" again) to a place that hosts a TON of NCAA tourneys, a major airport, inland, and can do it quickly, and I think the Univ. of Utah is as good an option as any.

OR - they can say that they will play in Spokane, but it's caveat emptor, and people ought to bring alcohol wipes, towels to cough into, all the sanitary things to keep droplets off anything, have glove boxes at the concession stands and restrooms.

The players aren't the ones to worry about, they will be almost totally isolated just by definition in any tournament.

The lack of testing has put all this up in the air and everything could change over a week, it's already changed substantially in 3 days.
    Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect.
    Mark Twain.

Lufthansa canceled 50% of their flights across the globe. Is that media?
    Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect.
    Mark Twain.

There is history here. The results seem plain.

https://www.pnas.org/content/104/18/7582
    "thnk god for few" jazzdelmar(12/12/11 12:50pm)
    "When most of us couldn't buy a basket. Where do we get off anyway?!" siliconzag (11/17/06 5:45:41 pm)
    I am monitoring the price of a donut

Quote Originally Posted by DixieZag View Post
    Possibly.

"German airline giant Lufthansa said Friday it would slash capacity by half in the coming weeks, as the group battles "drastic declines in bookings and numerous flight cancellations" prompted by the novel coronavirus."
    https://www.ibtimes.com/lufthansa-ha...-virus-2935221

People could be scared because of media.

Yea twitter heads said WW3 was happening asap after Iran conflict. Media played it up and it went away. This flu virus we need to handle but media has a tendency to fan the flames instead of addressing the situation in a manner that doesnt create fear.

Go on twitter. People think this could wipe us all out. It isnt a minority at all.
    Love the zags for life

Quote Originally Posted by DixieZag View Post
    Nope but media plays a part. You know this as well as I. I dont have a problem with addressing the issue. I have a problem with putting fear in everyone.
    Love the zags for life

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&sour...SXUFm6&ampcf=1

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&sour...AFvUkV&ampcf=1

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&sour..._XSC3X&ampcf=1

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&sour...47tIuM&ampcf=1

I could go on and on with world war 3 fears.
    Love the zags for life

Yea twitter heads said WW3 was happening asap after Iran conflict. Media played it up and it went away.
    It went away when Iran ineptly shot down their own airliner, undermining public support.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    'I found it is the small everyday deeds of ordinary folk that keep the darkness at bay… small acts of kindness and love.'
    - Gandalf the Grey

Foo Time

It went away when Iran ineptly shot down their own airliner, undermining public support.

Yep that too but WW3 was going to happen. It was clear as a sunny day. I posted just a few links. I did same on the fear media puts on us.
    Love the zags for life

Lastly I know this a concern and could get worse or it coulf get better. I just dont care for fanning the flame way of media. Explain what it is and how to handle it. The way some media outlets do it is "More cases, more deaths. Whose next"? Does this help us?
    Love the zags for life

Well, that. And the mullahs correctly surmised an escalation was not a good evolutionary strategy.

Yea twitter heads said WW3 was happening asap after Iran conflict. Media played it up and it went away. This flu virus we need to handle but media has a tendency to fan the flames instead of addressing the situation in a manner that doesnt create fear.

Go on twitter. People think this could wipe us all out. It isnt a minority at all.
    Are you saying that twitter heads are the media now? Or that media played up the idea that WWIII was happening because people were saying so on twitter? Do you have a media source quote that indicates WWIII is inevitable?

It seems that you are not a fan of hyperbole, but are producing it here.