Thread: Spokane Regional ( COVID-19 Related )

Hybrid View

Post Spokane Regional ( COVID-19 Related )

Just a hypothetical question here. If Governor Inslee were to outlaw sporting events and larger gatherings in the State of Washington, as he's saying he is considering, how and where would they be able to shift the Spokane region too? I don't personally think this current situation needs to be met with the cancellation of events like being considered but I do wonder if there's any insights as to where things would go in such short order?

I would guess there’s two options:

1. Follow the Europe idea and play in Spokane with empty seats
    2. Move to Boise or some other close region
    Qualified for 21 Straight Big Dances

11 Straight Round of 32s

10 Sweet Sixteens (5 Straight)

4 Elite Eights

2017 FINAL FOUR

2 Winningest Players in college basketball history (Karnowski 137, Perkins 134)

The Best Point Guard to ever play the game: John Stockton, most assists, most steals.

Quote Originally Posted by gonzagafan62 View Post
    I would guess there’s two options:

1. Follow the Europe idea and play in Spokane with empty seats
    2. Move to Boise or some other close region
    I don't think the empty seats is really an option as far as the NCAA would be concerned. I agree on another close site, but not sure what would be available on such short order. Hopefully it doesn't come to pass but what can you do if it does.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Vulture View Post
    I don't think the empty seats is really an option as far as the NCAA would be concerned. I agree on another close site, but not sure what would be available on such short order. Hopefully it doesn't come to pass but what can you do if it does.
    Why? isn't it all about the TV money?

Quote Originally Posted by FlyZag View Post
    Why? isn't it all about the TV money?
    I just can't imagine the NCAA would want to have that environment for the games. If that became the case, I'd imagine it would shift to a different West Coast facility, although I'm not sure what could be secured in less than two weeks. It probably won't end up mattering anyway, but it's a possibility.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Vulture View Post
    I just can't imagine the NCAA would want to have that environment for the games. If that became the case, I'd imagine it would shift to a different West Coast facility, although I'm not sure what could be secured in less than two weeks. It probably won't end up mattering anyway, but it's a possibility.

https://www.espn.com/college-sports/...es-planned-now

All these years of never having a team good enough to make the Spokane subregional…….and now this. It's like a curse. This team DESERVES a break for all the hard work they have put in to be so much better than many of this thought they would be.

Mortality rate and death rate are synonymous. Mortality rate would be reported in a science journal, death rate in a business journal.

No tummy. He’s asking a different question. Mortality may be static. Like in hospital mortality. ThAts fixed Not so with attrition over the next year. In the ensuing year there is an event rate that may include a death rate. Example: As an aortic valve becomes critically stenotic the death rate is 4% in yr one 7 % in yr two and 12 % at 3-5 years. Sounds like splitting hairs I know but there are important differences

At 270-ish miles away Spokane has a pretty close relationship with Seattle. When it comes to travel the two cities are about as close as two can get being that far apart. I-90 runs between the two. Want to catch a flight from Spokane to a city in Montana? Your plane goes to Seattle first. Our flight out of Spokane to Vegas on Sunday very likely goes through Seattle (haven’t checked yet). Even though we Spokanites do have close ties to Seattle we’re also more/less the capitol of North Idaho (just 20-ish mi away). Spokane is a very important economic hub for the Inland NW. Since BC is 100-ish miles north you also see lots of maple leaf flags fluttering in Spokane. If a significant outbreak of the Coronavirus occurs in Spokane it’ll impact a significant area. Many of us have relatives and/or close pals in Seattle (we have 2 nieces and a brother over there). We visited Seattle just a couple weeks ago (drove).

When it comes to what may happen with fan attendance at NCAA games it’s likely a prudent measure in helping slow the spread of a disease with our nation’s worst occurrence of it in our own state to not have spectators. The Coronavirus is going to spread in the USA. The more quickly it spreads the greater the health/economic impact. Americans travel a heck of a lot - short and long distances. We were even in Wuhan on a river cruise last May. Forgoing travel and attending large events is not something many of us want to curtail. At some point though we’ll have to put ‘the bigger picture’ at a higher priority. It’s not easy to change lifestyles - at least voluntarily. We are creatures of habit. The Mrs & I have only just these past couple of days begun to question our wisdom about going to the Zags games in Vegas. We’re rationalizing at the moment that it’s best to go now rather than later when more people have COVID-19. Vegas could really suffer if the virus spreads there as travelers are the key to its existence. Decisions, decisions .....
    Last edited by RenoZag; 03-06-2020 at 06:41 AM.

Due to the antibody dependent nature of coronavirus infections, it's not surprising that the mortality figures are skewed since the most heavily affected populations are those with existing subneutralizing antibodies that live near the outbreak.

From this morning's WaPo:

In the end, the NCAA will have to weigh risks. While del Rio said he and his fellow panel members would provide recommendations based solely on public health, the NCAA will have to make final decisions.

“For me, it’s a public-health decision,” del Rio said. “What I will tell the NCAA is based on public health. For them, it’s going to be also a business decision. It has to be.”

The unpredictability of the coronavirus makes forecasting the NCAA’s decisions impossible. In Italy, all soccer league games for the next 60 days will be played in empty stadiums. Del Rio would not expect the NCAA tournament to be played under those conditions. But he would not have expected Italy to look that way, either.

“If the tournament was today — except for places like Spokane or Washington, where you may have some questions — I would say: ‘Go on. There’s no concern,’ ” del Rio said. “But will that change? It may. I would have never predicted we’d be where we are with Italy. And yet we are. Nobody a month ago would have in their wildest dreams said, ‘Italy is going to be a disaster.’
    LINK: https://www.washingtonpost.com/sport...s-complicated/

Quote Originally Posted by MDABE80 View Post
    No tummy. He’s asking a different question. Mortality may be static. Like in hospital mortality. ThAts fixed Not so with attrition over the next year. In the ensuing year there is an event rate that may include a death rate. Example: As an aortic valve becomes critically stenotic the death rate is 4% in yr one 7 % in yr two and 12 % at 3-5 years. Sounds like splitting hairs I know but there are important differences
    I was actually just trying to learn if you still believe in this claim:

"Mortality has been about what you might expect of a flu or flu variants."