Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Spokane Regional ( COVID-19 Related )

Post Spokane Regional ( COVID-19 Related )

Just a hypothetical question here. If Governor Inslee were to outlaw sporting events and larger gatherings in the State of Washington, as he's saying he is considering, how and where would they be able to shift the Spokane region too? I don't personally think this current situation needs to be met with the cancellation of events like being considered but I do wonder if there's any insights as to where things would go in such short order?

I would guess there’s two options:

1. Follow the Europe idea and play in Spokane with empty seats
    2. Move to Boise or some other close region
    Qualified for 22 Straight Big Dances

11 Straight Round of 32s

10 Sweet Sixteens (5 Straight)

4 Elite Eights

2017 FINAL FOUR

2 Winningest Players in college basketball history (Karnowski 137, Perkins 134)

The Best Point Guard to ever play the game: John Stockton, most assists, most steals.

Quote Originally Posted by gonzagafan62 View Post
    I would guess there’s two options:

1. Follow the Europe idea and play in Spokane with empty seats
    2. Move to Boise or some other close region
    I don't think the empty seats is really an option as far as the NCAA would be concerned. I agree on another close site, but not sure what would be available on such short order. Hopefully it doesn't come to pass but what can you do if it does.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Vulture View Post
    I don't think the empty seats is really an option as far as the NCAA would be concerned. I agree on another close site, but not sure what would be available on such short order. Hopefully it doesn't come to pass but what can you do if it does.
    Why? isn't it all about the TV money?

Quote Originally Posted by FlyZag View Post
    Why? isn't it all about the TV money?
    I just can't imagine the NCAA would want to have that environment for the games. If that became the case, I'd imagine it would shift to a different West Coast facility, although I'm not sure what could be secured in less than two weeks. It probably won't end up mattering anyway, but it's a possibility.

I just can't imagine the NCAA would want to have that environment for the games. If that became the case, I'd imagine it would shift to a different West Coast facility, although I'm not sure what could be secured in less than two weeks. It probably won't end up mattering anyway, but it's a possibility.

https://www.espn.com/college-sports/...es-planned-now

All these years of never having a team good enough to make the Spokane subregional…….and now this. It's like a curse. This team DESERVES a break for all the hard work they have put in to be so much better than many of this thought they would be.

I was thinking the same thing CDC84. I really don't think they need to cancel all competitions or run them without an audience. I am sure there are ways they can play it safer if it came to it. One such thing could be moving fans away from the courts/benches by a certain distance (for the athletes sake). I'm not going to go into my view of the entire thing on here though. Right now, it would seem that Spokane, Sacramento, and Los Angeles regions would be the most likely to be affected.

Play the games in the barn in Moscow, Idaho.

I was thinking the same thing CDC84. I really don't think they need to cancel all competitions or run them without an audience. I am sure there are ways they can play it safer if it came to it. One such thing could be moving fans away from the courts/benches by a certain distance (for the athletes sake). I'm not going to go into my view of the entire thing on here though. Right now, it would seem that Spokane, Sacramento, and Los Angeles regions would be the most likely to be affected.
    It isnít the players that are being protected by the cancellations, it is the fans. The goal is to reduce large gatherings.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    'I found it is the small everyday deeds of ordinary folk that keep the darkness at bayÖ small acts of kindness and love.'
    - Gandalf the Grey

Foo Time

Quote Originally Posted by kitzbuel View Post
    It isn’t the players that are being protected by the cancellations, it is the fans. The goal is to reduce large gatherings.

I had said one way, not the only way, and also said for the players to be clear. The article linked above talked about protecting the players as they are the ones that are sent to the games. "Ramogi Huma, executive director of the National College Players Association, urged the NCAA and the schools to take steps to protect athletes." It went on to talk about limiting interractions with the fans at the games, etc.

Right now, the primary area affected in the US is Seattle (not the only place), and the majority is related to the extended care facility. I am sure if they go on with the games as expected, which I believe they will one way or the other, they will have very strict protocols in place.

Quote Originally Posted by CDC84 View Post
    All these years of never having a team good enough to make the Spokane subregional…….and now this. It's like a curse. This team DESERVES a break for all the hard work they have put in to be so much better than many of this thought they would be.
    The fans deserve it too. The previous couple of times Spokane got to host we've had teams before and after those years that might have been able to play in Spokane. Pass out masks at the gates and have mandatory hand sanitizer stations all over the place. We need this.
    It's peanut butter jelly time!

Much ado about...... something but not quite deserving the hysteria that some are exhibiting. i.e. Mask hoarders, runs on water and such at Costco, this is not helping.

This virus is serious and should be monitored but the level of concern should not be panic mode.

According to the CDC, 16,000 people died from the flu in the US during the 2019-20 flu season.
    39,000 people died in auto accidents in 2019.

It would seem obvious that youíre much more likely to die driving to the event than you are from COVID-19.
    Again, not saying it isnít important, it is. Just donít go crazy. (Said to no one on this board, just in general)

I had said one way, not the only way, and also said for the players to be clear. The article linked above talked about protecting the players as they are the ones that are sent to the games. "Ramogi Huma, executive director of the National College Players Association, urged the NCAA and the schools to take steps to protect athletes." It went on to talk about limiting interractions with the fans at the games, etc.

Right now, the primary area affected in the US is Seattle (not the only place), and the majority is related to the extended care facility. I am sure if they go on with the games as expected, which I believe they will one way or the other, they will have very strict protocols in place.
    I agree. The National College Players Association is going to be concerned about the players. Washington State Dept of Health and CDC are going to be concerned about public health.

That being said, there is about 3 1/2 hours of desert between Seattle and Spokane, so I think that plays in our favor.

'I found it is the small everyday deeds of ordinary folk that keep the darkness at bayÖ small acts of kindness and love.'
    - Gandalf the Grey

Foo Time

It would be a shame if they had to relocate the teams away from Spokane because of the virus. And a real bummer for the Zags if they don't, AT LONG LAST, get to play in front of the hometown crowd.

But. it would be better in front of a crowd 2k miles away vs. at home in front of no-one!!!

I'm bracing myself for something to happen though. Wouldn't it just be SOP for the NCAA's to pretend like they're doing something by doing almost nothing? Let every other sub-regional, regional, and FF play-on without restriction, but drastically alter this one because it's in the same state as the "outbreak", and then tout how much they care about student-athletes and not mountains of money?

I'm not even sure what the right answer is here, but if any sub-regional is going to be impacted by Coronavirus, we're sitting in it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Coach Few
    We are not here as a #%$&%&! Courtesy!!!

Quote Originally Posted by rennis View Post
    It would be a shame if they had to relocate the teams away from Spokane because of the virus. And a real bummer for the Zags if they don't, AT LONG LAST, get to play in front of the hometown crowd.
    FWIW Adam Morrison suggested on a recent broadcast that playing in spokane would be a disadvantage to Gonzaga, who would then be dealing with added craziness of every friend, neighbor, mailman, and babysitter trying to bum free tickets and the general added pressure and distraction of being around all those folks at home. He suggested a venue in the same time zone would be ideal - facilitating focus and more a "business trip" environment.

I think at this point Gonzaga WILL be in Spokane, but Morrison's opinion stuck with me and I'd defer to him about what would ultimately be most conducive to winning games.

Inslee ? lolol It's bad in Seattle where ALL deaths have occurred. Spokane's not been a hotbed of infection. 4 in town we know of and 2 suspects were discharged home already..

Quote Originally Posted by LTownZag View Post
    FWIW Adam Morrison suggested on a recent broadcast that playing in spokane would be a disadvantage to Gonzaga, who would then be dealing with added craziness of every friend, neighbor, mailman, and babysitter trying to bum free tickets and the general added pressure and distraction of being around all those folks at home. He suggested a venue in the same time zone would be ideal - facilitating focus and more a "business trip" environment.

I think at this point Gonzaga WILL be in Spokane, but Morrison's opinion stuck with me and I'd defer to him about what would ultimately be most conducive to winning games.
    Very good point!

Zag Shop (Thrift Shop Parody)

Gonzaga sind die besten! Gehe Zags!

Can't see how the city makes any difference. It's where the spectators/players hail from, and that's everywhere. No way to control that. Too early to tell if they need to at this point, but things change quickly. Worst case scenario, empty gyms and either sky high advertising rates like super bowl, and/or pay per view. The networks will not be denied $$$$ nor will the NCAA and colleges. I suspect this year will be like last year, the games will go on and the houses will be packed.

I wonder just how much power to cancel this Inslee would have?

I know he has said he is considering cancelling large gatherings, sports in particular, but he would be taking on the NCAA and a lot of other political entities.
    It's not funny.

I can understand Morrison and his concern about distractions, but you just have to take this. Especially in this field. The 8/9's aren't going to be nearly as dangerous as they usually are. I think this team has the maturity and the coaching acumen to fight off the temptation of complacency.....that playing in Spokane means an automatic pass to the S-16. It's not going to be THAT easy. The team has had some close calls at the Kennel this year. They know that they must play well.

Quote Originally Posted by CDC84 View Post
    I can understand Morrison and his concern about distractions, but you just have to take this. Especially in this field. The 8/9's aren't going to be nearly as dangerous as they usually are. I think this team has the maturity and the coaching acumen to fight off the temptation of complacency.....that playing in Spokane means an automatic pass to the S-16. It's not going to be THAT easy. The team has had some close calls at the Kennel this year. They know that they must play well.
    Why would you want to pass up the home crowd? You play elsewhere and the local fans root for the upset.

Regarding WA's governor's contemplating the suspension of fans at athletic events to limit the possibility of exposure to thousands of people in one area. Is the Spokane Arena a public venue - YES it is so he has the jurisdiction of suspending fan attendance at the games.

For Spokane/GU Fans it would really be a sad day "IF" fans were not allowed to attend any of the games BUT someone has to be the "adult in the room" and if cancelling fan attendance makes sense, then it is better to err on the cautious side.

I'm scheduled to go on a cruise in May after my wife retires a second time BUT I would rather forgo the cruise then go on it and then be possibly quarantined for maybe weeks.

Playing without fans happens to GU every year when they scrimmage so I don't see any difference. Watching them play on TV wouldn't be a good as being in person BUT it could well be the safer choice for all concerned...I want the players/staff/officials/administrators to be safe and free from exposure.

Also, not sure I agree with Adam on playing in a different environment would be better...the Battle in Seattle is an example where GU basically played before "home crowds" and never thought we lost a game because of the fans and quite possibly, the fans helped GU win a game or two...IMO

If Spokane gets some cases of infection in the general public we have to expect that teams will be concerned about flying to Spokane and playing. Two teams already cancelled games in Seattle against Seattle U.

Quote Originally Posted by jbslicer View Post
    Why would you want to pass up the home crowd? You play elsewhere and the local fans root for the upset.
    I can't re-state Adam Morrison's opinions any better than I tried to do a few posts up.

I think most of his points about the distractions and added pressures applied only to an NCAA tourney atmosphere in Spokane and were things that would not apply to regular season games. IE the way I understood Ammo's view, it would be a disadvantage to be in Spokane for the NCAA tournament for reasons that don't apply to normal home games, where it is an advantage to play at home.