Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Spokane Regional ( COVID-19 Related )

Adam was a home town boy. Most of the things he thought would add pressure, friends that live locally, family that live locally all wanting tickets and attention does not apply to almost any of the current mens Zags.

Quote Originally Posted by johno View Post
    If Spokane gets some cases of infection in the general public we have to expect that teams will be concerned about flying to Spokane and playing. Two teams already cancelled games in Seattle against Seattle U.
    I'm guessing that in two weeks there will be a few cases in Spokane. Probably will depend on if there are a very small amount or larger. And where they think they came from. Just announced one is in a hospital in Wenatchee.

A good source to track what is going on world wide.

https://www.worldometers.info/corona..._tbV0tUEAQnfAQ
    Hoping you have a sense of humor too!

Quote Originally Posted by willandi View Post
    A good source to track what is going on world wide.

https://www.worldometers.info/corona..._tbV0tUEAQnfAQ
    COVID-19 Fatality Rate by AGE:
    *Death Rate = (number of deaths / number of cases) = probability of dying if infected by the virus (%). This probability differs depending on the age group. The percentages shown below do not have to add up to 100%, as they do NOT represent share of deaths by age group. Rather, it represents, for a person in a given age group, the risk of dying if infected with COVID-19.

AGE DEATH RATE confirmed cases DEATH RATE all cases

80+ years old 21.9% 14.8%
    70-79 years old 8.0%
    60-69 years old 3.6%
    50-59 years old 1.3%
    40-49 years old 0.4%
    30-39 years old 0.2%
    20-29 years old 0.2%
    10-19 years old 0.2%
    0-9 years old no fatalities

It looks like the greatest danger is among the elderly. That probably is because of the outbreak at the Senior Care center.

I suspect that if teams don't want to play Gonzaga in Spokane in the NCAA tournament it's because they have an old case of the GONZAGA FLU, rather than Sars, Norovirus, Bird Flew, Mad Cow, Corona, Coors, Budweiser.

Go Zags!!! All the high school basketball tourneys are going on this week in various venues all over the state. Unless something changes significantly with the virus over the next 10 days or so, we should be good to go.
    "Those who believe in telekinetics, raise my hand."
    —Kurt Vonnegut

*Death Rate = (number of deaths / number of cases) = probability of dying if infected by the virus (%). This probability differs depending on the age group. The percentages shown below do not have to add up to 100%, as they do NOT represent share of deaths by age group. Rather, it represents, for a person in a given age group, the risk of dying if infected with COVID-19.

70-79 years old 8.0%
    60-69 years old 3.6%
    50-59 years old 1.3%
    40-49 years old 0.4%
    30-39 years old 0.2%
    20-29 years old 0.2%
    10-19 years old 0.2%

It looks like the greatest danger is among the elderly. That probably is because of the outbreak at the Senior Care center.
    So if your under the age of 50 your chances of contracting and dying from this flu is extremely minute. Just like the common flu, only the elderly are at greater risk.
    Media doing their best to disrupt and politicize this situation. Shame. Approx. 50 people will die today in the USA from the common flu. Almost all of them will be elderly.

The NWAC (Northwest Athletic Conference), formally NWAACC (NW Athletic Association of Community Colleges) just suspended their Mens and Womens Basketball Tourneys, after several games were already played, due to the virus. Tourney held on the campus of Everett CC. More and more things are getting cancelled.

Zag Shop (Thrift Shop Parody)

Gonzaga sind die besten! Gehe Zags!

Seattle
    s got empty streets and looks to be a city who bought the hype. In Spokane there are 4 documented. 2 of those already were discharged home. I doubt any team or even this Inslee character will shy away from Spokane. This is not a huge deal anyway.at least in the US. THe old, chronic disease people (diabetes, congestive heart failure, neuromuscular disease, leukemics, people under RX for a whole host of things .usually are the victims. On the East Side of the mountains, we're doing fine. Mortality has been about what you might expect of a flu or flu variants. It's the media that is forcing the politicians to pay attention. Media, as always, is doing their usual "looks at us" routine. i e clicks.

Quote Originally Posted by Lewey View Post
    I'm guessing that in two weeks there will be a few cases in Spokane. Probably will depend on if there are a very small amount or larger. And where they think they came from. Just announced one is in a hospital in Wenatchee.
    There are almost certainly covid-19 positive people in Spokane now, and within 2 weeks essentially every (even small) town in the country will have them. It's not if, and it's only a "when" within a very narrow time window. It has been spreading out from the Seattle Metro for nearly 8 weeks at this point.

We just need to not overwhelm various health/response institutions at the peaks days/weeks of infection.
    Last edited by LTownZag; 03-05-2020 at 06:53 PM.

Seems to be two sides on this. One is we all are going to die and other is its nothing.
    Love the zags for life

NCAA is establishing contingency plans for March Madness: https://www.washingtonpost.com/sport...t-coronavirus/

Quote Originally Posted by Zags11 View Post
    Seems to be two sides on this. One is we all are going to die and other is its nothing.
    I don’t hear either of those views ever articulated except, like this, in straw man caricatures of “the other side”

Quote Originally Posted by MDABE80 View Post
    Mortality has been about what you might expect of a flu or flu variants.
    While raw mortality for COVID-19 is lower than influenza, its case fatality rate is at least an order of magnitude higher (around 20x given the data we have). And no vaccine for this one.

This Harvard epidemiologist seems pretty worried:

“I think the Seattle area in Washington state is potentially on the cusp off being a Wuhan 2.0,” cautioned Dr. Ding, epidemiologist, health economist, and nutrition scientist at the Harvard Chan School of Public Health.

Dr. Ding worries that the state is following a similar pattern to how coronavirus was first handled in Wuhan, China, where the country was slow to ramp up testing and containment.

He went on to note that the possibility of shutting down large events like Emerald City Comic Con in downtown Seattle should be something under “urgent consideration.” The yearly convention brought in 98,000 people in 2019, and plans to go forward as scheduled this year. However, tickets are refundable.

“This is where the difference between us becoming a runaway epidemic and a contained epidemic is social distancing,” he noted.
    Italy has learned the hard way (4000 cases, 150 deaths in just two weeks). Fred Hutchinson Cancer Center has just closed their offices. Microsoft, Amazon, Facebook, Google are essentially shuttering offices now, at the direction of WA and King Co. Public Health. More to follow, and likely many more school closures. People over 60 are now being urged to stay in their homes in the Puget Sound region.

The big issue is whether ongoing measures will keep the health care delivery systems from becoming overloaded. Even if a small percentage of the population in Washington end up needing ICU care, we won't have enough beds by a longshot. That's what's happened in Italy.

Not trying to stoke fears, but this thing is being taken very, very seriously on the west side of the state.

Quote Originally Posted by Zags11 View Post
    A. Eighty percent of infections are mild or even asymptomatic. Everyone is not going to die. But they might infect people at risk in their community, who could die in significant numbers.

B. It's definitely not nothing. See my post above.

I work March Madness for NCAA and have so almost every year since 2003. I am starting at the Spokane site and have not heard about venue changes or anything else as of yet. To do our jobs as necessary, we would need to know with a fair amount of time in order to transfer production equipment etc to another facility.

As for the Covid-19, yes, most cases are mild but that is not the issue. The issue is that we don't know how it will spread or what happens when it starts to warm up (if it will go away or not) or what any mutations will be like. Will this now become a yearly virus such as the flu? We don't know. Since this virus has not existed before in its present form, the unknown is what is causing the most hysteria.

The data on case fatality will change over time. More so when subgroups grow. The over 80 group will suffer most. The healthy victims will hardly notice. High risk types will be sicker and perish at a higher rate. It’s always been like this. I talked to Fauci who predicts that most of this will be gone by the time a vaccine is developed. Expect overall mortality to be 1-2%...like most of these types of events. Hand washing and masking is what I’ve been doing. It’s about the best thing to do.

Bottom line for me is if you have tickets to the Spokane games and don’t want to risk exposure, I’ll take them and bring my hand sanitizer

70-79 years old 8.0%
    60-69 years old 3.6%
    50-59 years old 1.3%
    40-49 years old 0.4%
    30-39 years old 0.2%
    20-29 years old 0.2%
    10-19 years old 0.2%

That... is not how the concept of a "rate" works.

70-79 years old 8.0%
    60-69 years old 3.6%
    50-59 years old 1.3%
    40-49 years old 0.4%
    30-39 years old 0.2%
    20-29 years old 0.2%
    10-19 years old 0.2%

Quote Originally Posted by LTownZag View Post
    That... is not how the concept of a "rate" functions.
    You have to read the disclaimer above the part you quoted.

Quote Originally Posted by MDABE80 View Post
    On the East Side of the mountains, we're doing fine. Mortality has been about what you might expect of a flu or flu variants. It's the media that is forcing the politicians to pay attention.
    If you are actually an MD or work in medicine, you might want to examine the evidence for this view before continuing to suggest it to the public.

You have to read the disclaimer above the part you quoted.
    By "disclaimer" do you mean the definition of death rate?

The greatest danger (greatest death rate) doesn't occur among the elderly "probably because of" an outbreak among the elderly.

If you are actually an MD or work in medicine, you might want to examine the evidence for this view before continuing to suggest it to the public.

I'm not. I'm someone that saw an interesting site and posted it. I make no claims on way or the other. Some medicos on here have commented.

Really though, what it comes down to, is feel free to ignore it if you don't see anything that interests you.

I'm not. I'm someone that saw an interesting site and posted it. I make no claims on way or the other. Some medicos on here have commented.

Really though, what it comes down to, is feel free to ignore it if you don't see anything that interests you.
    I was asking (and quoting) "MDABE80".

I wonder which population you're basing your graph on/ Do you know? Does it include everyone? China only? The senior center in Seattle?? You must define your terms if you pretend to be an expert. Wouldn't you agree??? Where are the references from whihc the date is derived.???