Thread: Few not included in list of today's top paid coaches

Default Few not included in list of today's top paid coaches

We are on this earth to live, not to avoid death.

Few is an amazing bargain. He could have left for bigger pay days any number of times over these last two decades. He hasn't. We are blessed.
    GO ZAGS!!!

as a Private university, i don't think we're obligated to disclose?
    Krozman
    GU student 1996-2000
    Law Student 2000-2003

https://sports.usatoday.com/ncaa/sal...ketball/coach/

Few is #60 based on compensation for 2020 at $1,779,635

Quote Originally Posted by tinfoilzag View Post

If those figures are accurate it seems Gonzaga would have reason to step up at little on its own volition. After all . . .

Quote Originally Posted by tinfoilzag View Post

That chart is dated 2018. . .

not listed among top 25 coaches,
    and I thought, at first, in coaching skill or talent.
    In a poll like that, whether sports writers or coaches, I suspect he would be in top 25.
    come to realize this chart sticks to salaries only

Headline writer should be reprimanded

If I remember right, it was decided that rather than pay Few more, the assistants would be paid better. But I do no remember where I heard that

Coaching salaries make the news every March. WSJ, USAToday, and other outlets will run feature stories with lists of names and numbers. Coaches at public colleges and universities are pretty easy to suss out as their paid salary is a matter of public record.

Their side deals ( TV, Shoe Contracts, Attire sales ) are harder to track down . FWIW: Bill Self gets the revenue from apparel sales during the off-season month prep basketball campers invade KU.

EDIT: If you use the search term "coaches salaries" in BZ's Field House ( using the "Search Forum" Drop down Menu ) it yields three pages worth of threads, dating to 2007, wherein this topic has been discussed-- and salaries listed-- before.

Speculating and commenting on coaching salaries in March, like The Masters in April, is a tradition unlike any other,
    Last edited by RenoZag; 03-04-2020 at 06:10 AM. Reason: Deleted link, thanks BD

Quote Originally Posted by RenoZag View Post
    Coaching salaries make the news every March. WSJ, USAToday, and other outlets will run feature stories with lists of names and numbers. Coaches at public colleges and universities are pretty easy to suss out as their paid salary is a matter of public record.

Their side deals ( TV, Shoe Contracts, Attire sales ) are harder to track down . FWIW: Bill Self gets the revenue from apparel sales during the off-season month prep basketball campers invade KU.

Here's a link that provides the results of using the search term "coaches salaries" in BZ's Field House:

http://guboards.spokesmanreview.com/...archid=9434156

Three pages worth of threads, dating to 2007.

Speculating and commenting on coaching salaries in March, like The Masters in April, is a tradition unlike any other,
    Link broken Reno
    Birddog

Twas brillig, and the slithy toves
    Did gyre and gimble in the wabe:
    All mimsy were the borogoves,
    And the mome raths outgrabe.

Quote Originally Posted by Birddog View Post
    Link broken Reno
    Thanks, BD. It works for me, but probably because it's in my cache or some such thing.

Will edit the post. . .

The GUB Resource Library: Stats, Blogs, Brackets, & More. . .

Respect the Game. Respect the Zags. Respect each other.

Thanks for the memories.

Shows you how much he likes it here. At that, Making about two million a year and living in Spokane is real overkill. LOL

I would not take any of the coaches on this list over Few -- so, we have it very well.
    “The true measure of a Jesuit education,” said former Superior General Peter-Hans Kolvenbach, “is not what our students do, but who they become.”

A few things about Few's salary...

He is underpaid even at $2 million or $2.5 million. He should probably be in the $3-4 million range. That being said, he will likely be on the Gonzaga payroll, even if not as a head coach, forever. He has built a legacy for his family in Spokane that will last generations. Some other coaches are in the same category, but not many. Spokane cost of living is lower and there's no state income tax. He has job security that is unprecedented. There is less booster influence at Gonzaga than other top schools. The local media stays within it's lane and protects the coach and the program. Few and his long time team have control over the program - there are no bad apples that will tarnish the legacy of the program or Coach Few.

He has a lot of old friends and friends of the program, former players, John Stockton, others. Those relationships are precious.

His assistant coaches are well paid and are not jumping ship at the same to other programs as the same rate as other schools.

He gets to win a lot. More than any other coach.

Ask any executive or Coach who earns $1-5 million per year if they'd take a pay cut of 20-30 percent to have what Mark Few has. Maybe young coaches who are full of fire will take the hard path. When you're a man who's been doing it forever, has built the program to what it is today, whose name is synonymous with the program, and who is at the helm of a well oiled machine, the money isnot as important as what you've accomplished and how you've accomplished it and a quality of life that you're presumably happy with at that point in time.

That being said, they should and probably do bonus the coaches for really successful seasons. If the program makes a ton of NCAA tournament money, you'd think some of it should go to the coaches in those years.

Coming in at #77 in the USA Today list: Randy Bennett of St Mary's at $575,000 in 2018 with no bonus/no buyout money. Also a steal, IMO.
    "Those who believe in telekinetics, raise my hand."
    —Kurt Vonnegut

Quote Originally Posted by ProVeeZag View Post
    Coming in at #77 in the USA Today list: Randy Bennett of St Mary's at $575,000 in 2018 with no bonus/no buyout money. Also a steal, IMO.
    And an indication of how stupid BCS athletic directors can be. The goal is to win games, not win the press conference. I still cannot believe that a school like UNLV thought they could get Randy for $1.5 million or whatever it was. I am not saying Randy is a shoe in to bail if he were ever offered big bucks, but what's dumbfounding is why he hasn't been offered the big bucks.

On Big 10 Basketball & Beyond they said they feel long-time Davidson coach Bob McKillop is going to get in the Naismith Basketball Hall of Fame one day for the reasons former Princeton guru Pete Carril did. An innovator who is held in the highest regard by his peers. How he has been at Davidson since 1989 is beyond me. The fact that he is nearing 600 wins at an elite academic school that absolutely will not budge its academic standards to allow basketball players in is beside the point. Unlike Mark Few, I haven't even heard of McKillop being on any coaching lists. You have to wonder what some of these people are thinking. I'd pay 5 mil to have McKillop coach my team. And I felt that well before Steph Curry.