Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How will Coronavirus Impact the NCAA tournament ?

Default How will Coronavirus Impact the NCAA tournament ?

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.cnb...-audience.html

Looks like the NCAA is getting pressure to remove spectators from the venues. Wonder how the NCAA would actually go about this - offer refunds, or tell fans to kick bricks? Either way, I think Spokane may be a cursed regional for me.

Edit - mods please move if not appropriate for this board.

It's a timely topic and we'll be reading and seeing more discussions regarding large gatherings and travel restrictions. There will also be a mountain's worth of discussion re: Precautions, options, risks, and more.

I would be lying if I said the COVID-19 news has not put a damper on my Vegas trip enthusiasm. I've been following the CDC website for about a week now: https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019...are-facts.html

Moved thread to "General Basketball" forum for now.

The GUB Resource Library: Stats, Blogs, Brackets, & More. . .

Respect the Game. Respect the Zags. Respect each other.

Thanks for the memories.

Answer. Not unless the media scares the crap out of people. It’s just a minor variation of the flu. Tony Fauci is running this program for Trump. Listen to what he says. Tony’s a good friend since 1985.
    Last edited by MDABE80; 03-01-2020 at 05:01 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by MDABE80 View Post
    Answer. No unless the media scares the crap out of people. It’s just a minor variation of the flu. Tony Fauci is running this program for Trump. Listen to what he says. Tony’s a good friend since 1985.
    I'll go with scientists & physicians over politicians & business interests anytime, Doc.

Yep.
    This post is for March Madness seeding purposes only.

Quote Originally Posted by RenoZag View Post
    I'll go with scientists & physicians over politicians & business interests anytime, Doc.
    Fauci is a scientist notable for work in immunology and his efforts in the HIV/AIDS arena.

This should not be a political issue. So far this administration has done a good job limiting the spread of this virus and have taken it seriously no matter what you have read. It isn’t doing anyone any good spreading misinformation about how this has been handled.

Quote Originally Posted by MDABE80 View Post
    Answer. No unless the media scares the crap out of people. It’s just a minor variation of the flu. Tony Fauci is running this program for Trump. Listen to what he says. Tony’s a good friend since 1985.
    Agreed on the seriousness - the flu by volume kills way more people. My understanding is that we don’t understand how it’s communicated yet, which is the bigger concern, but regardless of the actual threat posed by this, the media has people believing it’s the SARSebolazombyvirus, and have everyone shutting everything down. Perception trumps reality in this case.

Quote Originally Posted by Markburn1 View Post
    Fauci is a scientist notable for work in immunology and his efforts in the HIV/AIDS arena.

This should not be a political issue. So far this administration has done a good job limiting the spread of this virus and have taken it seriously no matter what you have read. It isn’t doing anyone any good spreading misinformation about how this has been handled.
    Am well aware of Dr. Fauci's track record at the NIAID. I was agreeing with ABE's point when I stated I would listen to and trust scientists & physicians before other interests. I concur it's a public health issue. Did you think I felt otherwise?

Quote Originally Posted by RenoZag View Post
    Am well aware of Dr. Fauci's track record at the NIAID. I was agreeing with ABE's point when I stated I would listen to and trust scientists & physicians before other interests. I concur it's a public health issue. Did you think I felt otherwise?
    Just reinforcing Abe’s point that good people are working on this.

There are a lot of untrue accusations by politicians that it isn’t being addressed properly.

That’s all.

Got it.

Flu has killed over 16,000 in a year (with some estimates up to 30,000). And this virus has killed 1 to date in America

Would you skip a tournament during flu season?

Wash your hands, cover your cough is you are showing signs of flu like symptoms stay home
    Basketball...The Toy Department of Life

Don't mess wth happy...Coach Few

Quote Originally Posted by Hoopaholic View Post
    Flu has killed over 16,000 in a year (with some estimates up to 30,000). And this virus has killed 1 to date in America

Would you skip a tournament during flu season?

Wash your hands, cover your cough is you are showing signs of flu like symptoms stay home
    Not trying to skip it. Just think it’s insane that the players association is trying to get the spectators out of the arena.

Quote Originally Posted by Bulldoginseattle View Post
    Agreed on the seriousness - the flu by volume kills way more people. My understanding is that we don’t understand how it’s communicated yet, which is the bigger concern, but regardless of the actual threat posed by this, the media has people believing it’s the SARSebolazombyvirus, and have everyone shutting everything down. Perception trumps reality in this case.
    I'm certainly not saying that this virus shouldn't be taken seriously. BUT, keep in mind that media outlets are OWNED by people and it's certainly not a leap to think that profits can be had from blowing something out of proportion.
    Again, I'm not saying that due diligence should be ignored, but there's ALWAYS a cycle of ups and downs with all investments / business and someone ALWAYS profits. Just playing devil's advocate to point out that panicking is not necessarily the right path.

It's now two fatalities, both in Washington State. Five others in critical condition, also in Washington.

We have a vaccine for influenza. Not so for this coronavirus (which by the way is in no way related to influenza, an orthomyxovirus, but is related to SARS and MERS, both coronaviruses). I'll eat my hat if there's an effective vaccine in under 12 months (and I've been involved in a lot of clinical trials).

Case fatality rate for influenza is ~0.1%. Based on current information, the case fatality rate for COVID-19 is around 2%. That's twenty times that of influenza. It's killed far fewer people than influenza primarily because it is not ubiquitous (yet).

Not trying scare anyone. Eighty percent of COVID-19 cases are mild or asymptomatic, thankfully. It's the other 20% I worry about.

Many experts expect this illness will go epidemic --> pandemic --> endemic.

Take care, everyone. Wash your hands, disinfect commonly touched surfaces in your habitat, and avoid touching your face if your hands aren't clean.

Default No fans in stands for March Madness?

From a risk management and health standpoint I can see where they are coming from. On a personal level I can't imagine March Madness playing in empty arenas.

The National College Players Association, a nonprofit advocating for the rights and safety of collegiate athletes, is calling on the NCAA to consider holding NCAA tournament games without fans due to its concern over coronavirus.

Link:https://www.usatoday.com/story/sport...nt/4914636002/

It’s fascinating to watch how this is being covered. On one hand you have the "fear of a global pandemic the likes we haven’t seen since 1918" crowd and on the other hand you have the "take precaution" crowd advocating for the same steps you’d take during a bad flu season. Who’s right or is in somewhere in the middle.

Because of where it originated and because their government wants to control all information/disinformation about the number of infected, number of deaths, etc., it’s hard to gauge what to believe. I do wonder if they reported the common flu like coronovirus, what the nightly news and social media would look and sound like. I’m being cynical but there’s money to be made from fear. Not sure if the 24 hour news cycle and the internet have actually made us smarter as a people. We should know more in a week. Go Zags.
    Last edited by RenoZag; 03-02-2020 at 06:07 AM.

Lots of questions I would like to know the answers to. Today someone told me dogs can spread this easily. Also heard that shipping containers coming from China and other ports may have been contaminated and this stuff can stay alive on dry surfaces for days or even longer. Rats and mice come in containers and get loose as well. How about mosquitoes? Can they be carriers? Lots of questions...
    I'm a snowbird. How safe is flying going to be? I need to get home!
    To Fish & Game: Keep streams stocked well for Mr. Few!

Seems odd to be concerned that the student athletes would be infected from an auditorium crowd when campus life would be a much higher risk given the population density of a typical campus.

I went to Costco, Sams Club and Winco today and found many things missing on the shelves. Canned meat, pasta, canned food, rice and many others. I asked the checker if she has seen a run on these items, she said "yes".

Quote Originally Posted by GrizZAG View Post
    Lots of questions I would like to know the answers to. Today someone told me dogs can spread this easily. Also heard that shipping containers coming from China and other ports may have been contaminated and this stuff can stay alive on dry surfaces for days or even longer. Rats and mice come in containers and get loose as well. How about mosquitoes? Can they be carriers? Lots of questions...
    I'm a snowbird. How safe is flying going to be? I need to get home!
    There's no confirming evidence about dogs, so I would take that with a large grain of salt. There's one anecdotal report out of China only, and zero evidence to date that it can be transmitted by domestic pets to humans.

Regarding overseas shipments, the King County Public Health officer (Dr. Jeff Duchin - smart guy, former colleague) said in his presser Friday night that the risk was extremely low for transmission by package.

With regard to air travel, several studies have been done on influenza (which also has contact/droplet transmission). One study extensively swabbed down multiple planes after overseas flights, and could not find a single respiratory virus on any surface. Generally, unless someone is actively coughing/sneezing in your vicinity, you're pretty safe with good hand washing. Masks are controversial, and they mostly protect others, but they do remind you not to touch your mouth/nose/eyes. You can bring Clorox wipes in a baggie and wipe down your tray table, seats & touchscreen, etc. Generally, window seats are considered safer because you have fewer people next to you for the duration.

The air on planes is cleaned with high-efficiency filters, and fresh air is constantly introduced, despite popular myth.

Links referencing some of the above information in the general press:

NPR: How Not To Get Sick On A Plane: A Guide To Avoiding Pathogens

Guardian (with tips on prevention): Epidemics expert Jonathan Quick: ‘The worst-case scenario for coronavirus is likely’

Hope that's helpful. Information is power.

Quote Originally Posted by caduceus View Post
    There's no confirming evidence about dogs, so I would take that with a large grain of salt. There's one anecdotal report out of China only, and zero evidence to date that it can be transmitted by domestic pets to humans.

Regarding overseas shipments, the King County Public Health officer (Dr. Jeff Duchin - smart guy, former colleague) said in his presser Friday night that the risk was extremely low for transmission by package.

With regard to air travel, several studies have been done on influenza (which also has contact/droplet transmission). One study extensively swabbed down multiple planes after overseas flights, and could not find a single respiratory virus on any surface. Generally, unless someone is actively coughing/sneezing in your vicinity, you're pretty safe with good hand washing. Masks are controversial, and they mostly protect others, but they do remind you not to touch your mouth/nose/eyes. You can bring Clorox wipes in a baggie and wipe down your tray table, seats & touchscreen, etc. Generally, window seats are considered safer because you have fewer people next to you for the duration.

The air on planes is cleaned with high-efficiency filters, and fresh air is constantly introduced, despite popular myth.

Links referencing some of the above information in the general press:

NPR: How Not To Get Sick On A Plane: A Guide To Avoiding Pathogens

Guardian (with tips on prevention): Epidemics expert Jonathan Quick: ‘The worst-case scenario for coronavirus is likely’

Hope that's helpful. Information is power.
    Thank you, it sounds like you have a qualified background of medical and epidemiology. I appreciate the informed perspectives. How about mosquitoes? This is a concern because many including myself spend a great deal of time outdoors and god knows we have plenty of mosquitoes
    To Fish & Game: Keep streams stocked well for Mr. Few!

Dr. Fauci was interviewed by Richard Engel for a story airing on the NBC Nightly News this evening.

Two tweets from Engel regarding the interview:

Just finished interview with Dr. Fauci, US director of infectious diseases. Hour-long interview. Detailed. He said: We're dealing with clearly an emerging infectious disease that has “now reached outbreak proportions and likely pandemic proportions.”
    and

Dr. Fauci said United States may have to consider social “mitigation,” acts like temporarily closing schools and events with large crowds in confined spaces. “We're not ready for it right now, but we need to be at least thinking about the possibility.”
    https://twitter.com/RichardEngel

'Events with large crowds in confined spaces' ?

Sports arenas & convention halls come to mind. . .
    Last edited by RenoZag; 03-02-2020 at 01:27 PM.

There are now six deaths attributed to the virus...all in the Seattle area...

Y’all please take care of yourself and your families!!!

Quote Originally Posted by GrizZAG View Post
    Thank you, it sounds like you have a qualified background of medical and epidemiology. I appreciate the informed perspectives. How about mosquitoes? This is a concern because many including myself spend a great deal of time outdoors and god knows we have plenty of mosquitoes
    Mosquito-borne illnesses are the #1 killer in the world, but that's due to malaria (a blood parasite, not a virus). Some viruses are transmissible by mosquito (like Zika). You can't catch a cold through a mosquito, and to my knowledge there's no evidence that this coronavirus transmits in this fashion. I think mosquitoes would be the least of my worries regarding this outbreak.

Not an epidemiologist (but MD), FWIW.

STORY LINK: https://www.espn.com/mens-college-ba...irus-scenarios

In the event the coronavirus becomes an even more significant health threat in the United States, NCAA officials say they are readying for any scenario -- including games in arenas without fans.

"If you can think of it, it's something that we've gone through an analysis around," NCAA chief operating officer Donald Remy told Bloomberg in an interview published Monday night. "We've contingency planned for all circumstances."
    The ESPN article linked above refers to an NCAA advisory panel. Here's the NCAA Press Release: http://www.ncaa.org/about/resources/...advisory-panel

“The NCAA is committed to conducting its championships and events in a safe and responsible manner,” said Donald Remy, NCAA chief operating officer. “Today we are planning to conduct our championships as planned, however, we are evaluating the COVID-19 situation daily and will make decisions accordingly.

“We are actively monitoring COVID-19 in the United States and will make recommendations on competition based on the evolving medical protocols established by the CDC, NIH and state and local authorities,” said Hainline. “We are in daily contact with the CDC and are advising leadership on the Association’s response to this outbreak.”

According to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, the immediate health risk from COVID-19 is considered low for the general public right now. However, the potential for a future public health threat is very high within the U.S. and globally, the CDC says.

“Given the fluid situation, the advisory panel will meet regularly and provide valuable insight and expertise as the Association navigates this complicated public health challenge,” Hainline said.

“The NCAA will make decisions that are first and foremost reflective of medical best practices and keeps the health and safety of student-athletes, administrators and fans as the number one priority,” Remy said.
    Last edited by RenoZag; 03-03-2020 at 02:55 PM.