Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Gonzaga vs St Mary's Post Game analysis and thoughts, feelings

Quote Originally Posted by Martin Centre Mad Man View Post
    They allowed a lot of contact from Petrusev against the defenders. There was one play where he dipped a shoulder straight into the defender, knocked the defender back, and then leaned away for a hook shot. They called a foul on the defender and sent him to the line for an “and-1” opportunity. It was while SMC was trying to claw back into the game. It would have been a huge turning point if that call had gone against him.

He may not get that call in March.
    That particular play was due to being in the protected circle when contact was made
    Basketball...The Toy Department of Life

Don't mess wth happy...Coach Few

Default Great win

Any time the Zags beat St Mary’s it is a great win. Bennett is a helluva coach and Ford is a gamer. Tear drops, 3s, he makes shots. The defense Gilder played on him was great at the end.

On to Vegas. All of the teams want another shot at Zags. I want another shot at BYU. They are playing very well right now. Childs and Toolson are playing great and Haws is so darn consistent.

I think the BYU vs ST Mary’s game will be a must see. I just don’t know how the Gaels can stop/slow Childs.

2 weeks from today is Selection Sunday!

Quote Originally Posted by ZagsObserver View Post
    I can’t put my finger on the precise issue, but we aren’t playing like we did a month or two ago. That team was final 4. This team is probably sweet 16. I keep hoping for a return of the former, but idk if we’ll see it again.
    It's a long season, ZagsObserver: Lots of peaks and some valleys. I don't know how the Zags will do in post season play. But I won't make an analysis based on them not playing the way I might like to see them play right now. The thing is, in conference play where you play the teams twice, it's really really hard to play them the way we did the first time around. It's like that every year, in every league, for every team. It's just the way it is. And then comes the 2nd season which is tournament play. Everything starts over like it's a new season. Gonzaga will get a whole week off, and they certainly can use it. This will help a lot, imo. They won't play until the tournament reaches the Semi-Finals. They play on Monday and if they win the Final's Tuesday. The Zags will have renewed energy. Tournaments are a lot of fun, and I really look forward to seeing Gonaga in the Semis. Keep the faith. Don't listen or buy into that negative stuff in your head.

Go Zags!!!
    Go Zags!!! The Best Is Yet To Come!!!

I think another reason that we do not look like a month ago is that we are playing the WCC best teams for a second time. They therefore have been working on how to muck up our offense. The second half our coaches seem to come out with a new twist

Default The day after the Game

I always like to see how I feel the day after the game. I think the best feelings to describe how I feel are peaceful and joyful. I have a deep sense of peace that comes when the battle is over and we've won. I am honestly so amazed by how well this team has played. Totally amazed. I think most of us fans here share this feeling. There have been so many new players, and it's really been fun to watched them develop individually and as a team.

As if having a lot of new players wasn't enough for the coaches to deal with, they had to deal with injuries. And that is difficult. The Zags had to play with six players for several weeks, and I'm sure that took it's toll physically on all those six players. It was just horrible to see Watson go down. He started off so good, and he was one of the players I really wanted to see play in a Zag uni because he's from Spokane. And then Ravet quit the team, and that really hurt. So the team was now a guard and a forward short. And then Tillie got hurt. My heart skipped a beat for sure. Injuries have plagued him every single year. But he persevered, and so did the team, and Tillie battled back. It was amazing to watch him play and contribute in such a big way to the success of the team. He has truly been a wounded warrior who just keeps on fighting.

To my amazement the Zags have only lost two games and had a 19 game winning streak end a week ago at BYU. They are ranked 2nd in most polls and are a #1 seed in the West in Joe Lunardi's Bracketology. Just amazing. Most say there are no Super Stars on this team, and they may be right, but there are certainly a lot of stars and very good players. I doubt that most fans don't know how difficult it is to average ten points a game or more in Division I basketball. IMO these guys are all stars, and no one knows who is going to step up when it's needed. Yeah, Petrusev got his 27 and Kispert his 20, but in the end it was Ayayi and Gilder who hit the big shots in the victory. AYAYI hit two incredible 3 pointers to hold St Mary's at bay. And Gilder threw in a couple awesome shots to do the same thing. There were periods of time when Kispert shot the lights out and got the Zags a lead they never relinquished in the second half. And then there was Petrusev scoring like a man possessed. St Mary's just couldn't contain him. And that's the kind of team we have. Thursday in was Woolridge who shined. You just never know who's going to shine, but with this team you know that there WILL BE some bright lights shining at the end of the game.

How can anyone complain when our team is 29-2 and 2nd on Kenpom's ranking system. I know I can't, and I am really just so full of gratitude for all these guys have done. We're ready to begin the second season, and I couldn't be more excited and proud to be a Zag. I know it's going to be tough because the WCC is tougher this year. But that's good. It will only help the Zags when it comes t the NCAA Tournament. Thank you coaches and all the players for such a good season SO FAR. Thanks for a great game last night to secure a great record in Conference play. Keep it up.

Go Zags!!!

I don’t love how we’re playing, especially with the way we are defending guards driving to the basket. For as much talk about Woolridge as a defender, I thought he has struggled lately. I wonder if we see BYU again if Few will go with the same strategy and have Admon shadow Haws?Before Tillie rolled his ankle, we were rolling. He’s playing well but during that stretch he was averaging 20, grabbing rebounds and blocking shots. I still don’t think he’s 100%. The break will be good as he needs to heal up. Still would love to imagine this team with a healthy Watson.

Quote Originally Posted by Reborn View Post
    How can anyone complain when our team is 29-2 and 2nd on Kenpom's ranking system. I know I can't, and I am really just so full of gratitude for all these guys have done. We're ready to begin the second season, and I couldn't be more excited and proud to be a Zag. I know it's going to be tough because the WCC is tougher this year. But that's good. It will only help the Zags when it comes t the NCAA Tournament. Thank you coaches and all the players for such a good season SO FAR. Thanks for a great game last night to secure a great record in Conference play. Keep it up.

Go Zags!!!
    Well said.

This has been one of the most overachieving teams I can ever remember. I came into the season expecting somewhat of a rebuilding year after we lost so much talent from last year’s team. This team then lost Ballo, Ravet, and Watson before the end of November. Other players have been impacted by injuries throughout the season. At one point, Ayayi was the only healthy scholarship guard on the roster. Tillie has missed several games and hasn’t really been healthy at any time. A lot of teams might have thrown in the towel, but they just kept winning.

They play remarkable team ball, especially for a team with so many players who never played together before the season. The offensive balance is a testament to their talent, but also to the unselfish way that they work to help each other get open shots. They screen, cut, and pass as well as any team I can remember. That top offensive efficiency rating is a result of great hustle and teamwork.

This has been a fun run.

Quote Originally Posted by Hoopaholic View Post
    That particular play was due to being in the protected circle when contact was made
    I may not understand the rules, but is an offensive player allowed to dip the shoulder inside the circle? I thought the protected circle only removed charging calls from the equation. Is that the same type of foul?

Value the basketball.

From here on out it is slap happy physicality. No lazy passes. No dribbling into a forest and picking up the dribble. Keep a strong grip on the ball, hold it high and away while keeping it in motion to prevent a stationary target. Pass the ball at the first opportune time, don't let defenders swarm. If a teammate is in trouble, run towards him and make yourself available by keeping defenders behind you. If you are in trouble call for help. Zags need to work on these fundamentals.
    I miss Mike Hart

Quote Originally Posted by Zags11 View Post
    Wcc has 3 teams in the tourny. This was a great game to be at and another fun regular season.
    If SMC loses to BYU, they're probably in the 9 or 10 seed range on the good side of the bubble. If they lay an egg in the quarters it will be bubble city and history has shown no love for them and the bubble. But I do think we see them in the finals and the WCC gets their three teams in the dance.

As for last nights game, I think the Zags are gelling at the right time and I'm so excited to see them play in the Spokane pod! We've had some down years in our other opportunities to play in our home town for the NCAA's, but it's a lock this year.

Vegas--Spokane--Los Angeles--Altanta
    It's peanut butter jelly time!

Quote Originally Posted by NotoriousZ View Post
    If SMC loses to BYU, they're probably in the 9 or 10 seed range on the good side of the bubble. If they lay an egg in the quarters it will be bubble city and history has shown no love for them and the bubble. But I do think we see them in the finals and the WCC gets their three teams in the dance.

As for last nights game, I think the Zags are gelling at the right time and I'm so excited to see them play in the Spokane pod! We've had some down years in our other opportunities to play in our home town for the NCAA's, but it's a lock this year.

Vegas--Spokane--Los Angeles--Altanta
    We wanted to do zags in spokane but baby being born in mid march changed it. Lol
    Love the zags for life

As much as I love rooting for Gonzaga men’s hoops to succeed on the court, last night’s senior night celebrations that included the team managers and Mac Graff + how badly Rui wanted to be there and making it happen are what make me really love this program. It’s big time now without acting too big time; an amazing achievement by Mike Roth, Mark Few and the Spokane community...congratulations one and all! Striking that balance between big time success, expectations, recruiting etc while maintaining a genuine culture of team first, one for all and all for one belief system that makes a millionaire pro wanna navigate the logistics of being in Spokane mid NBA season is simply awesome.

As for the game itself, the way Gilder and Ayayi stepped up and scored in crunch time to clinch the victory was huge. That is great confidence booster for them and the team heading into postseason play. As others have mentioned, the TO’s are concerning and Zags definitely need to be reminded of what Texas Tech did to them in the tourney in terms of physically aggressive D and just constantly grabbing at the ball. OTOH, this team is at its best flying down the court pushing the pace and attacking...hard to play that way and simultaneously think about not getting a turnover.

Glad Zags remaining WCC foes will be the upper echelon teams. Good prep for Dance.
    It is their time....their team...I just get to watch. - Bartruff1

Default Admon Gilder

Perhaps the best thing I took away from the game was Admon's defense. Maybe Wooley gets the WCC DPOY but Gilder has emerged as Gonzaga's lock down defender. I think all three of our guards do an excellent job on D (and they're getting better it seems) but Gilder's job on Ford was masterful.

"Stick with your man. Think of him as chewing gum. By the end of the game, I want to know what flavor he is."

Perhaps the best thing I took away from the game was Admon's defense. Maybe Wooley gets the WCC DPOY but Gilder has emerged as Gonzaga's lock down defender. I think all three of our guards do an excellent job on D (and they're getting better it seems) but Gilder's job on Ford was masterful.

"Stick with your man. Think of him as chewing gum. By the end of the game, I want to know what flavor he is."
    Gilder's defense, and Ayayi's return to confidence are the two best takeaway's from last night's game.

IF those two things keep sticking, then we can go really deep in this parity year. But we really need both of them to stay at high level or go higher.
    Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect.
    Mark Twain.

Quote Originally Posted by DixieZag View Post
    Gilder's defense, and Ayayi's return to confidence are the two best takeaway's from last night's game.

IF those two things keep sticking, then we can go really deep in this parity year. But we really need both of them to stay at high level or go higher.
    Yes, and I love our chances. Not that we're perfect by any stretch in any aspect of the game but I've got a good feeling that we're in for another deep run. Everyone knows their role on this team and it shows.

As always for this time of year, the waiting is the hardest part.

I may not understand the rules, but is an offensive player allowed to dip the shoulder inside the circle? I thought the protected circle only removed charging calls from the equation. Is that the same type of foul?
    By rule contact inside the circle is consider to be non defensive position so auto foul......union entered consequence of the rule as written it was written to protect driver and up in air type of dangerous play but the rule simply states inside contact inside circle is considered out of defensive position and if you are not in a legal guarding position it is a foul
    Basketball...The Toy Department of Life

Don't mess wth happy...Coach Few

Dentyne.

Quote Originally Posted by Reborn View Post
    I always like to see how I feel the day after the game. I think the best feelings to describe how I feel are peaceful and joyful. I have a deep sense of peace that comes when the battle is over and we've won. I am honestly so amazed by how well this team has played. Totally amazed. I think most of us fans here share this feeling. There have been so many new players, and it's really been fun to watched them develop individually and as a team.

As if having a lot of new players wasn't enough for the coaches to deal with, they had to deal with injuries. And that is difficult. The Zags had to play with six players for several weeks, and I'm sure that took it's toll physically on all those six players. It was just horrible to see Watson go down. He started off so good, and he was one of the players I really wanted to see play in a Zag uni because he's from Spokane. And then Ravet quit the team, and that really hurt. So the team was now a guard and a forward short. And then Tillie got hurt. My heart skipped a beat for sure. Injuries have plagued him every single year. But he persevered, and so did the team, and Tillie battled back. It was amazing to watch him play and contribute in such a big way to the success of the team. He has truly been a wounded warrior who just keeps on fighting.

To my amazement the Zags have only lost two games and had a 19 game winning streak end a week ago at BYU. They are ranked 2nd in most polls and are a #1 seed in the West in Joe Lunardi's Bracketology. Just amazing. Most say there are no Super Stars on this team, and they may be right, but there are certainly a lot of stars and very good players. I doubt that most fans don't know how difficult it is to average ten points a game or more in Division I basketball. IMO these guys are all stars, and no one knows who is going to step up when it's needed. Yeah, Petrusev got his 27 and Kispert his 20, but in the end it was Ayayi and Gilder who hit the big shots in the victory. AYAYI hit two incredible 3 pointers to hold St Mary's at bay. And Gilder threw in a couple awesome shots to do the same thing. There were periods of time when Kispert shot the lights out and got the Zags a lead they never relinquished in the second half. And then there was Petrusev scoring like a man possessed. St Mary's just couldn't contain him. And that's the kind of team we have. Thursday in was Woolridge who shined. You just never know who's going to shine, but with this team you know that there WILL BE some bright lights shining at the end of the game.

Go Zags!!!
    This. Last night's game was electric in the kennel. So proud of this team! Loved the speeches, loved Rui's surprise visit and loved Mac's surprise walking. Great night to be in the kennel. Happy to be a Zag,

Quote Originally Posted by Hoopaholic View Post
    By rule contact inside the circle is consider to be non defensive position so auto foul......union entered consequence of the rule as written it was written to protect driver and up in air type of dangerous play but the rule simply states inside contact inside circle is considered out of defensive position and if you are not in a legal guarding position it is a foul
    Interesting. Thanks for the clarification.

Quote Originally Posted by zagbeliever View Post
    This. Last night's game was electric in the kennel. So proud of this team! Loved the speeches, loved Rui's surprise visit and loved Mac's surprise walking. Great night to be in the kennel. Happy to be a Zag,
    Thanks for the post. Wish I had been there. I like the description "electric."

Go Zags!!!

Quote Originally Posted by zag67 View Post
    I think another reason that we do not look like a month ago is that we are playing the WCC best teams for a second time. They therefore have been working on how to muck up our offense. The second half our coaches seem to come out with a new twist
    Good point. It seems that halftime adjustments have made a big difference in the second half of the season.

- this restricted area rule is not cut and dry or simple.
    - please reference: Rule 4-35.7 Guarding. my overview is the following. first this rule applies to a 'secondary defender', not a 'primary defender'. so if you are a primary defender and have established legal guarding position and the offensive player moves the primary defender back into the restricted area and then lowers his shoulder into the primary defender, an offensive foul could be called. 'legal guarding position' is two feet on the floor and defenders chest is facing and in front of the offensive player.

- the automatic block call is for a 'secondary defender' who takes up initial guarding position in the restricted area. that is not considered 'legal guarding position' and as such a player control foul shall not be called. but rather a block foul shall be called.
    - even still there is an exception to this rule, the offensive player may not 'lead with a foot, or unnatural extended knee or wards of with the arm'. i think the point is an offensive player cannot dribble up to a 'secondary defender' in the restricted area and then just shove the defender out of the way without impunity.