A couple of you had this nailed:

A - Pangos
    B - Raivio
    C - Perkins
    D - Dickau
    E - Stepp
    F - Stockton
    G - Bouldin
    "And Morrison? He did what All-Americans do. He shot daggers in the daylight and stole a win." - Steve Kelley (Seattle Times)

"Gonzaga is a special place, with special people!" - Dan Dickau #21

Foo me once shame on you, Foo me twice shame on me.

2012 Foostrodamus - Foothsayer of Death

Comment

• Markburn1
      Zag for Life
      • Oct 2015

Originally posted by LongIslandZagFan View Post
      A couple of you had this nailed:

A - Pangos
      B - Raivio
      C - Perkins
      D - Dickau
      E - Stepp
      F - Stockton
      G - Bouldin
      Here's my question. What did these numbers tell you about the players. Did they change anybody's mind about the value of said players? How would you rank the players before seeing the spreadsheet and after?

The divide in opinion of how to quantify these numbers is real. There are some, especially in the professional ranks of the major sports, that give these numbers a heavy weight. There are some, like me, that think they can tell you who the better player is and what their value is to the team by watching them play.

It's a fascinating discussion.

Comment

• LongIslandZagFan
        • Feb 2007

Originally posted by Markburn1 View Post
        Here's my question. What did these numbers tell you about the players. Did they change anybody's mind about the value of said players? How would you rank the players before seeing the spreadsheet and after?

The divide in opinion of how to quantify these numbers is real. There are some, especially in the professional ranks of the major sports, that give these numbers a heavy weight. There are some, like me, that think they can tell you who the better player is and what their value is to the team by watching them play.

It's a fascinating discussion.

For me, I was surprised Stockton's numbers were so low. I was also surprised to see how in some ways Bouldin's numbers were better than Pangos... In my head I would have put Pangos far ahead of Bouldin... but the numbers are quite comparable.

DDD... well... he was just amazing.
        "And Morrison? He did what All-Americans do. He shot daggers in the daylight and stole a win." - Steve Kelley (Seattle Times)

Comment

• Pallet
          Zag for Life
          • Feb 2007

Nigel was a junior the Final Four year, right? Would be interesting to see his numbers.

Comment

• Zags11
            Banned
            • Mar 2008

Dickau. Dickau all day.

Comment

• Markburn1
              Zag for Life
              • Oct 2015

For me, I was surprised Stockton's numbers were so low. I was also surprised to see how in some ways Bouldin's numbers were better than Pangos... In my head I would have put Pangos far ahead of Bouldin... but the numbers are quite comparable.

DDD... well... he was just amazing.
              Bouldin was always an enigma for me. He was perpetually on the verge of being a great player but seemed to settle for very good. His very good was hard to discount, but I always expected another jump that never materialized.

Comment

• LongIslandZagFan
                • Feb 2007

Originally posted by Pallet View Post
                Nigel was a junior the Final Four year, right? Would be interesting to see his numbers.
                Going into a meeting, then a phone conference... I'll do that after I am out of those.

Comment

• LongIslandZagFan
                  • Feb 2007

Sorry... last meeting ran way longer than expected.

Here are NWG's numbers:

FG FGA FG% 2P 2PA 2P% 3P 3PA 3P% FT FTA FT% TRB AST STL BLK TOV PF PTS
                  7.1 14.5 0.486 5.7 10.8 0.527 1.4 3.8 0.368 5 5.8 0.867 7.3 5.7 2.1 0.1 2.6 1.9 20

Comment

• MDABE80
                    Zag for Life
                    • Feb 2007

Werkin' too hard LIZ...

Comment

• Markburn1
                      Zag for Life
                      • Oct 2015

Sorry... last meeting ran way longer than expected.

Here are NWG's numbers:

FG FGA FG% 2P 2PA 2P% 3P 3PA 3P% FT FTA FT% TRB AST STL BLK TOV PF PTS
                      7.1 14.5 0.486 5.7 10.8 0.527 1.4 3.8 0.368 5 5.8 0.867 7.3 5.7 2.1 0.1 2.6 1.9 20
                      Obviously stellar numbers. Kid was good.

Nigel goes WAY past numbers. That guy is a leader with a will to win unparalleled in GU history. He may have been the smartest player on the court for the Zags that I've seen. His maturity off the court was impressive as heck. That's a young man that won't need basketball to define him. I'd love to have a sit down with him and pick his brain. We were blessed to have him for the short time he was a Zag.

Comment

• LongIslandZagFan
                        • Feb 2007

Originally posted by MDABE80 View Post
                        Werkin' too hard LIZ...
                        Wait until the brewery really kicks in... THEN I will be really working hard.

Comment

• mgadfly
                          Zag for Life
                          • Feb 2007

For the record... I treated and will continue to treat Pargo as a SG as that is what he played a majority of his career.

Meech isn't on the list.
                          He never played SG for us.

On offense he brought the ball up the court, set up the play, and distributed the ball. He led our team in assist percentages every year. On defense he guarded the other team’s primary ball handler. The coaches called him the point guard. The media reported him to be the point guard.

Raivio played off the ball after he arrived. Bouldin played the 2 or 3.

I thought the point of putting up the stats was to eliminate silly personal bias like Pargos not being a PG. A much better case could be made that Pangos is a 2 guard since Stockton pushed him off the ball. Or that Perkins is a SG because NWG was the primary ball handler.

Pargo was a PG. Almost exclusively. Insane not to have him on the list.

Comment

• FlyZag
                            Bleeds GU Blue
                            • Nov 2007

Originally posted by mgadfly View Post
                            He never played SG for us.

On offense he brought the ball up the court, set up the play, and distributed the ball. He led our team in assist percentages every year. On defense he guarded the other team’s primary ball handler. The coaches called him the point guard. The media reported him to be the point guard.

Raivio played off the ball after he arrived. Bouldin played the 2 or 3.

I thought the point of putting up the stats was to eliminate silly personal bias like Pargos not being a PG. A much better case could be made that Pangos is a 2 guard since Stockton pushed him off the ball. Or that Perkins is a SG because NWG was the primary ball handler.

Pargo was a PG. Almost exclusively. Insane not to have him on the list.
                            Can't imagine a SG only shooting 31% career from 3 and still being called a "shooting" guard.

Comment

Working...
                            X