Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: AP Poll ~ 2/24/20 - Gonzaga moves up 2 places to #11 in this week's Top 25 Poll

Post AP Poll ~ 2/24/20 - Gonzaga moves up 2 places to #11 in this week's Top 25 Poll

Gonzaga moves up 2 places to #11 in this week's AP Top 25 Poll...
    Lady Zags trail #10 Mississippi State by 32 points in this week's poll...

South Carolina still No. 1 in AP women’s basketball poll
    At the above link, you can check out how the pollsters voted this week...A few pollsters had the Lady Zags at #9 & #10
    ...Plus, a few stragglers had the Lady Zags as low as #16, #17 & #18...

https://wtop.com/ncaa-basketball/202...etball-poll-6/

https://www.ncaa.com/rankings/basket...sociated-press

https://www.espn.com/womens-college-basketball/rankings

I don't understand UCLA....they lost to a very poor UW team....

I don't understand NC State.

They lose to an unranked G-Tech team and move up 2 spots?

Must be nice.

ZagDad

Okay, I'll don the blinkers & pile on. Zagettes combine to shoot 39.2% on two pointers, 34.5% on treys, and 68% on FTs & average an anemic 62 PPG versus three of the bottom four teams in the WCC. They play, giving them a hefty benefit of the doubt, FOUR quarters of decent basketball in four games, and somehow rise two spots in the polls? Must be nice.

Quote Originally Posted by upan8th View Post
    Okay, I'll don the blinkers & pile on. Zagettes combine to shoot 39.2% on two pointers, 34.5% on treys, and 68% on FTs & average an anemic 62 PPG versus three of the bottom four teams in the WCC. They play, giving them a hefty benefit of the doubt, FOUR quarters of decent basketball in four games, and somehow rise two spots in the polls? Must be nice.
    Why are you listing the last 4 games when the poll goes week to week, so your comparison should be from last Monday to this Monday or our last "2" games.

The stats for the last "2" games are an overall shooting percentage of 41.5%, a 3-point shooting percentage of 45.7% and a free throw shooting percentage of 63.6%. The average score of the two (2) games was 69.5 - 48.5 with an average scoring margin of +21 ppg and most importantly 2 victories.

Maybe the lady zags aren't living up to your expectations, but in reality, all of the numbers (with the exception of the free throw shooting) are really pretty good for any Wbb team.

You might want to check the stats on the two teams the Lady Zags passed in the poll, Depaul and Arizona: In Depaul's case, they went 1-1 and lost to a mid-pack, Big East team by 18 points, scored 58 points, shot 29.7% overall and 8.3% from 3. Hardly numbers to justify staying in front of our Lady Zags.

Arizona, the other team the Lady Zags passed in the latest poll went 1-1 and lost to a team in the bottom quarter of the Pac-12 by 12 points, scored a whopping total of 38 points, while shooting a rousing 24.5% overall and 25.0% from 3.

While the Lady Zags may not be playing to your standards, they certainly outplayed Depaul and Arizona this week at least IMO?

Truthfully, the Lady Zags at #11 is exactly where I expected them to be. I did not figure the AP writers would have them jump Miss. St. or NC State this week and UCLA was too far ahead for the Lady Zags to jump. Usually, if you lose a game, you drop at least 1 spot unless the loss occurred to a team rated considerably above you. Miss. St., NC State and UCLA all lost to unranked teams and could have been passed by the Lady Zags. The UCLA loss to the Huskies was to a team in the bottom 3 of the Pac-12. Miss. St. lost to Alabama, a team solidly mid-pack in the SEC and NC State lost to G-Tech a team also stuck in the mid-pack of the ACC. Why the AP writers felt the loss by UCLA and Miss. St. were that much worse than the loss by NC State is beyond me. The only correlation is that NC State has a better overall record UCLA (1 more loss) and Miss St (2 more losses).

They above being said, it would not have surprised me to have seen the Lady Zags jump Miss. St. and themselves be jumped by Texas A&M putting them at #11.

Some of those teams directly in front of the Lady Zags will lose, whether in their final conference games or in their conference tournaments, and that elusive, first ever, Top-10 rating is out there and within the reach of this year's Lady Zag team as long as they keep winning.

ZagDad
    Last edited by ZagDad84; 02-24-2020 at 03:30 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by sylean View Post
    I don't understand UCLA....they lost to a very poor UW team....
    Ah sylean, do you have any idea how bad most of the WCC teams are this year? UW beat the crap out of USD on the road as well as USF. BYU went 0-4 against Pac 12 teams, including Washington St. and Utah who are both in the bottom half of the standings. If you think UW is a very poor team, there are no words to describe most WCC teams.

Anyway I'd have to say UW is easily better than the SMC team GU managed to lose to.

it doesn't matter.... the record stands no matter who they played, where they played....or are we going to base rankings on our "feelings" now.....one could say that Power 5 teams build up their resumes and their rankings by beating mid majors before their conference play.......so if their resumes can be built up by beating weaker teams their resume certainly should fall by losing to weaker teams...

Quote Originally Posted by sylean View Post
    it doesn't matter.... the record stands no matter who they played, where they played....or are we going to base rankings on our "feelings" now.....one could say that Power 5 teams build up their resumes and their rankings by beating mid majors before their conference play.......so if their resumes can be built up by beating weaker teams their resume certainly should fall by losing to weaker teams...
    I was taking exception to you calling UW a "very poor team." I would guess you haven't watched them play once this year.

Quote Originally Posted by seacatfan View Post
    I was taking exception to you calling UW a "very poor team." I would guess you haven't watched them play once this year.
    Wading in very carefully with my boots and waders pulled up high.

SeaCat we all know that you are a Pac-12 guy and a UW and UA supporter but are you really going to support that UW is not a bad team? Is that the hill you are willing to die on? UW is 13-14 overall and 5-9 in conference. I would suggest that by their record alone, indicates that they are not a very good, and if fact are a bad team.

I do see Sylean's argument that when GU lost to SMC they dropped 4 spots in the poll and when UCLA lost to UW they dropped 1 spot. Obviously, the committee saw UCLA's loss as a much better loss than they did GUs loss to SMC.

My contention would be that GU had just lost one of their starters and did not have her available for the loss against SMC and UCLA had their star available at UW (she played 35 minutes), so there is much less justification for UCLAs loss than GUs loss.

We all know that conference games, particularly the 2nd round of conference games are much more difficult to win (particularly on the road) than non-conference games, thus comparing OOC games to conference games really does not apply in this case. Obviously the Pac-12 is a much better conference than the WCC. I agree with you that the Huskies would likely with 3 or 4 games out of 5 with SMC. On the other hand, if SMC shot the same shooting percentages that they did against GU (55.6% overall and 66.7% from 3) not only would the Huskies not win, they would be lucky to have remained in the same zip code.

The Huskies are a bad team. SMC is a bad team. Losing to either team is not really justifiable. Why UCLA only dropped one spot and GU was dropped 4 spots was inherent bias against the mid-major leagues. Drop UCLA 2 spots or 3 spots I am o'k with it. Dropping them only one, is just wrong, as wrong as it was for dropping Miss. St only one spot and elevating NC State 2 spots when they lost to unranked G-Tech.

Slowly backing out of the swamp,

ZagDad

There are a whole lot of teams in D1. Calling someone a very bad team in my mind puts you way in the bottom half. That does not accurately describe UW. I don't need to say any more about that. If they were in the WCC they would have a winning record in conference and overall.

There are a whole lot of teams in D1. Calling someone a very bad team in my mind puts you way in the bottom half. That does not accurately describe UW. I don't need to say any more about that. If they were in the WCC they would have a winning record in conference and overall.
    UW's current RPI is 123 up from 133 after their upset victory this week.

Don't look now, but by the end of the year, they may be pretty close to your very bad level.

ZagDad

Quote Originally Posted by ZagDad84 View Post
    UW's current RPI is 123 up from 133 after their upset victory this week.

Don't look now, but by the end of the year, they may be pretty close to your very bad level.

ZagDad
    Yeah, RPI is the utlimate proof. All I ever hear is how poor of a metric it is, but go ahead and use it if if suits you.

Yeah, RPI is the utlimate proof. All I ever hear is how poor of a metric it is, but go ahead and use it if if suits you.
    It is absolutely horrible, but on the women's side, go ahead and show me where the BPI, Net, or any other rankings are listed and we can use those.

Until then, the RPI and SOS is it.

ZagDad

Teams are funny.... they are made up of humans.

Is the glass half full or half empty? Is a team really bad or are they just not that good?

Funny thing about humans, they are different and on any given day they can be at their worst or not their best or they can be at their best or not their worst...

I saw SMC play their worst and their best against GU. So which team are they?

On any given night as humans... it’s a guess who is going to show up.

As for the pollsters... just a stat and a view and in some cases probably just a stat. That is why I have a hard time taking any of it seriously. And it is sad because so much is riding on their opinion. Look how much extra pressure has been put on GU WBB to host the dance and it still may not happen because of an opinion.
    Why did GU WBB drop 4 spots to UCLA WBB dropping 1.... a group of someone’s opinion that the P-5s Stand above all others possibly. Yet GU WBB (in my opinion) sets right in with the top of the PAC 12.

I know nothing is perfect but I hope that the NCAA keeps working to getting closer to perfect.... lots of everything riding on it.

Go Zags!!

Gonzaga moves up 3 spots to #10 in this week's USAToday Coaches Poll...
    Lady Zags are just 2 points behind #9 Mississippi State...

Congratulations Lady Zags! First time ever...

https://www.usatoday.com/sports/ncaa.../coaches-poll/

https://www.espn.com/womens-college-basketball/rankings

...Some of those teams directly in front of the Lady Zags will lose, whether in their final conference games or in their conference tournaments, and that elusive, first ever, Top-10 rating is out there and within the reach of this year's Lady Zag team as long as they keep winning.

ZagDad
    ZagDad84, you are quite the prognosticator! The Lady Zags Top Ten achievement came sooner than expected...

This post is for March Madness seeding purposes only.

Why are you listing the last 4 games when the poll goes week to week, so your comparison should be from last Monday to this Monday or our last "2" games.

The stats for the last "2" games are an overall shooting percentage of 41.5%, a 3-point shooting percentage of 45.7% and a free throw shooting percentage of 63.6%. The average score of the two (2) games was 69.5 - 48.5 with an average scoring margin of +21 ppg and most importantly 2 victories.

Maybe the lady zags aren't living up to your expectations, but in reality, all of the numbers (with the exception of the free throw shooting) are really pretty good for any Wbb team.

You might want to check the stats on the two teams the Lady Zags passed in the poll, Depaul and Arizona: In Depaul's case, they went 1-1 and lost to a mid-pack, Big East team by 18 points, scored 58 points, shot 29.7% overall and 8.3% from 3. Hardly numbers to justify staying in front of our Lady Zags.

Arizona, the other team the Lady Zags passed in the latest poll went 1-1 and lost to a team in the bottom quarter of the Pac-12 by 12 points, scored a whopping total of 38 points, while shooting a rousing 24.5% overall and 25.0% from 3.

While the Lady Zags may not be playing to your standards, they certainly outplayed Depaul and Arizona this week at least IMO?

Truthfully, the Lady Zags at #11 is exactly where I expected them to be. I did not figure the AP writers would have them jump Miss. St. or NC State this week and UCLA was too far ahead for the Lady Zags to jump. Usually, if you lose a game, you drop at least 1 spot unless the loss occurred to a team rated considerably above you. Miss. St., NC State and UCLA all lost to unranked teams and could have been passed by the Lady Zags. The UCLA loss to the Huskies was to a team in the bottom 3 of the Pac-12. Miss. St. lost to Alabama, a team solidly mid-pack in the SEC and NC State lost to G-Tech a team also stuck in the mid-pack of the ACC. Why the AP writers felt the loss by UCLA and Miss. St. were that much worse than the loss by NC State is beyond me. The only correlation is that NC State has a better overall record UCLA (1 more loss) and Miss St (2 more losses).

They above being said, it would not have surprised me to have seen the Lady Zags jump Miss. St. and themselves be jumped by Texas A&M putting them at #11.

Some of those teams directly in front of the Lady Zags will lose, whether in their final conference games or in their conference tournaments, and that elusive, first ever, Top-10 rating is out there and within the reach of this year's Lady Zag team as long as they keep winning.

ZagDad
    Really? Another ten buck answer to a ten cent question. More words to live by: "There's great power in words, if you don't hitch too many of them together."

Gonzaga Earns Highest Ranking Ever in USA Today Coaches Poll at No. 10

Also marks the highest ranking ever for a WCC program

SPOKANE, Wash. – The Gonzaga women's basketball team reached new heights Tuesday morning as it moved up three spots in the USA Today Sports Top 25 Coaches Poll to No. 10, the highest ranking in program history.

The Bulldogs picked up wins last week at Loyola Marymount (75-47) and at Pepperdine (64-50) to improve to 27-2 on the season with a 16-1 mark in West Coast Conference play. Gonzaga captured its 16th WCC regular-season title Thursday at Loyola Marymount, and its 27-2 mark matches the best start in program history.

The Zags received 451 points in the poll and rank just below Mississippi State (453). South Carolina claimed the top spot with 20 first place votes and 761 points while Baylor ranks second with eight first-place votes and 743 points. Oregon rounded out the top three with three first-place votes and 727 points.

Gonzaga currently ranks 11th in the Associated Press Top 25 Poll which ties a program record in that poll. The Bulldogs close the regular season this Saturday, Feb. 29 at Portland. Tipoff is set for 2 p.m. PT.

Gonzaga Article Link

The woeful truth is that most pollsters ranking non-power five schools weekly likely NEVER EVEN WATCH THEM PLAY. Especially teams on the west coast whose games start late and aren't accessible on national venues. To those folks the Lady Zags are still the same team that averaged over 68 points a game beating Dayton (1st Atlantic Ten), Missouri St (1st MVC), Purdue, and taking Stanford to OT in Palo Alto early in the season. In reality, the Zagettes are now a team that could only average fewer than 62 ppg vs teams (LMU, SCU, USF) lookin' way up from under the top 150. That Stanford team taken to OT in Nov would rip GU by 20 in a rematch played today.

Alrighty then.
    ..I guess we have been told.

Quote Originally Posted by TerpZag View Post
    ZagDad84, you are quite the prognosticator! The Lady Zags Top Ten achievement came sooner than expected...
    I guess I had the tea leaves right side up this week.

Thanks TerpZag,

ZagDad
    Last edited by ZagDad84; 02-25-2020 at 02:01 PM.

A couple of interesting tidbits contained in the coach's poll this week.

Notice the love being given to South Dakota by the coach's, all the way up to #12 this week while being ranked 20th by the writers. South Dakota has had a great season and has deserved this kind of recognition all year. Congrats to them and their team for finally getting noticed.

The coach's also are showing some love to other mid-majors this week, with #10 GU, #12 South Dakota, #15 Depaul, #17 Missouri State, #21 Princeton and #23 Florida Gulf Coast. Six mid-majors in the Top-25. Way to go coach's.

The rise of the Lady Zags has not necessarily crested if they keep on winning through the WCC tournament. I think the Lady Zags could move as high as #8 in both polls after the conference tournaments and before the NCAA tournament. I think NC State, Mississippi State and UCLA will all lose in their conference tournaments leaving the potential to move up at least one spot if not two. UCLA could lose to Colorado this week and Mississippi State could lose to Arkansas, likely, no but both Colorado and Arkansas have provided upsets within the last couple of weeks, so it could happen.

You got this ladies, strap in and enjoy the ride.

Next up, time to sink the Pilots.

ZagDad

A couple of interesting tidbits contained in the coach's poll this week.

Notice the love being given to South Dakota by the coach's, all the way up to #12 this week while being ranked 20th by the writers. South Dakota has had a great season and has deserved this kind of recognition all year. Congrats to them and their team for finally getting noticed.

The coach's also are showing some love to other mid-majors this week, with #10 GU, #12 South Dakota, #15 Depaul, #17 Missouri State, #21 Princeton and #23 Florida Gulf Coast. Six mid-majors in the Top-25. Way to go coach's.

The rise of the Lady Zags has not necessarily crested if they keep on winning through the WCC tournament. I think the Lady Zags could move as high as #8 in both polls after the conference tournaments and before the NCAA tournament. I think NC State, Mississippi State and UCLA will all lose in their conference tournaments leaving the potential to move up at least one spot if not two. UCLA could lose to Colorado this week and Mississippi State could lose to Arkansas, likely, no but both Colorado and Arkansas have provided upsets within the last couple of weeks, so it could happen.

You got this ladies, strap in and enjoy the ride.

Next up, time to sink the Pilots.

ZagDad
    Utah also pulled an upset recently, UCLA faces them as well.

Stanford plays @ the Arizona schools this week, so any way you slice it a ranked team will lose 2 of those games.

Utah also pulled an upset recently, UCLA faces them as well.

Stanford plays @ the Arizona schools this week, so any way you slice it a ranked team will lose 2 of those games.
    All very true. My comments were only meant in the context of improving the Gonzaga ranking (not seeding). In that context both Arizona Schools are already ranked behind Gonzaga so losses by them would not likely improve the Lady Zag ranking. Stanford, ranked at #4 would appear, at first glance, to be out of range of Gonzaga, but as you said, if Stanford was to lose both games in Arizona things would become interesting and if they followed that up with another loss in the Pac-12 tournament, the Zags could jump them. UCLA is certainly there for the taking and if UCLA loses one more game and you are right, that it could occur to either Utah or Colorado. This all assumes the Lady Zags win out, which certainly is not guaranteed.

Stanford is a problem for the Lady Zags. Obviously, as far as rankings (which are nothing but bragging points) are concerned, you want Stanford to lose both games in Arizona. However, for NCAA tournament seeding purposes, I don't think that the Zags will, under any circumstance or set of circumstances, pass Stanford in the seedings for the NCAA tournament. Thus, having Stanford win both games would be better for the Lady Zags and likely put (or keep) Arizona behind the Zags in the NCAA tournament seedings.

So I will be rooting for Stanford this week in both games in Arizona and against UCLA in both games in Los Angeles.

However, your mileage may vary,

ZagDad

Gonzaga women earn program-best No. 10 ranking in latest USA Today coaches poll

By Jim Allen

The Gonzaga women’s basketball team made some more history Tuesday, reaching the Top 10 in the USA Today coaches poll.

Until this week, no GU women’s team had broken into the top 10 of the coaches or the Associated Press media poll.

Not even the celebrated 2011 team that reached the Elite Eight won this much national recognition. Led by All-American Courtney Vandersloot, that squad didn’t get higher than 20th in the AP poll and 19th in the coaches poll.

“It’s cool,” GU head coach Lisa Fortier said Tuesday afternoon. “I feel happy for the players.”

The 2014 squad made it as high as 15th, and last year’s team reached 13th in the medial poll and 12th in USA Today.

“It’s a process that we work on every day,” said Fortier, who has been with the program since 2005. “This is a product of a lot of work by people who have meant a lot to the program over the years.”

The Zags, 27-2 overall and 16-1 in the West Coast Conference, were 13th in both polls last week.

They moved up two spots in the media poll this week, as No. 11 Arizona and No. 12 DePaul lost to unranked Colorado and Villanova, respectively.

The coaches did the Zags one better, moving them up three spots and ahead of former No. 8 North Carolina State. Ranked fourth two weeks ago, the Wolf Pack have dropped three of their last four, including a 70-65 home loss to unranked Duke on Monday night...

The Zags finish the regular season Saturday at Portland.

They have clinched the No. 1 seed in the WCC Tournament, and will play in the semifinals on March 9 at the Orleans Arena.

The Spokesman-Review Article Link