Thread: Mark Few - Seasons on the Fly re: BYU loss

Default Mark Few - Seasons on the Fly re: BYU loss

https://twitter.com/jordancaskey/sta...891384834?s=19

"It's a great message for me, it's a great message for the rest of our staff. It's certainly a very strong message to the players... and it's a message to our fans. You're not gifted anything." - Coach Few to @SeasonsOnTheFly following the loss at BYU.

This is a great video. Thanks for finding it and posting it here, StatZag. You can see why Mark Few is such a great coach. He's a "straight shooter." No BS in his world. Everyone should watch this. There really isn't any surprises in the video. I think we all know why our boys lost. They played poorly because they did not play the kind of unselfish and smart basketball they have played for most of the year.

Personally, I think the Zags will be relieved to have finally gotten beaten. I know that that sounds strange, but it is not easy to keep winning week after week all season long. The pressure to keep winning is a tremendous kind of pressure. And the target on the back of the jerseys keeps getting bigger each game. And those big and long win-streaks get harder to maintain also. There is kind of a feeling of relief. It's like the balloon has burst, the air has been taken out of it, and the team will begin a new and fresh winning streak. We have to go back a long, long ways in order to remember our last loss. I'm hoping the team goes on ffom this loss the same way they went on after the loss to Michigan.

Go Zags!!!
    Go Zags!!! The Best Is Yet To Come!!!

It has been mentioned multiple times now, but at least the loss was to a tournament-bound team is not a bad loss to an NIT-bound one. There is a certain amount of psychological angst that comes from having to be perfect in league. I am going to tell myself to be thankful that this loss is more like what happens to other teams in better leagues: they lose and move on with minimal effect on seeding and/or rank. That is to say, we are so used to one loss really messing things up and this one, fortunately, did not. That's my silver lining.

I do hope that this team gets tougher. That short video is loaded with information and confirms to me that this team is greater than the sum of its parts, and really needs to have its head in the game-- at all times-- against better teams.

Quote Originally Posted by JPtheBeasta View Post
    It has been mentioned multiple times now, but at least the loss was to a tournament-bound team is not a bad loss to an NIT-bound one. There is a certain amount of psychological angst that comes from having to be perfect in league. I am going to tell myself to be thankful that this loss is more like what happens to other teams in better leagues: they lose and move on with minimal effect on seeding and/or rank. That is to say, we are so used to one loss really messing things up and this one, fortunately, did not. That's my silver lining.
    well said, couldn't agree more. still painful, but not nearly as bad as in previous years.

Yep - didn’t hear the excuses from Few that this board was swinging around following the game. They looked better than GU. They looked poised. Gonzaga wasn’t doing the things that got them the 2 ranking.

But it’s okay. The ingredients are there and we have the best coach. We can do this.

National champions usually win the title with 5-7 losses. We have 2. The things that’s just so bad for is how we acquired the second loss.

Quote Originally Posted by ZagsObserver View Post
    Yep - didn’t hear the excuses from Few that this board was swinging around following the game. They looked better than GU. They looked poised. Gonzaga wasn’t doing the things that got them the 2 ranking.

But it’s okay. The ingredients are there and we have the best coach. We can do this.

I mean yeah they just layed down and took it during the game. Why would post game be any different?

Quote Originally Posted by MDABE80 View Post
    National champions usually win the title with 5-7 losses. We have 2. The things that’s just so bad for is how we acquired the second loss.

Because the National Champion usually comes from a power conference - All the justifications for a bad loss are sort of funny. Major coping mechanism. BYU has like 2.5 good basketball players and we should't have lost to them

Quote Originally Posted by Saxon_zag View Post
    Because the National Champion usually comes from a power conference - All the justifications for a bad loss are sort of funny. Major coping mechanism. BYU has like 2.5 good basketball players and we should't have lost to them
    Gotta show up to win. Zags missed the bus.

The BYU fans deserve some credit for Saturday night's game. There had to be a cumulative effect that wore down the Zags in the last five minutes, while giving the Cougars a big shot of adrenaline.

Having said that, the WCC needs to give BYU a hefty fine for throwing junk on the court, as well as having inadequate security that night.

The Kennel Club needs to have a response ready when next year's game arrives.

Quote Originally Posted by Saxon_zag View Post
    16th ranked Kenpom team that basically had this game circled on their calendar all year with a raucous crowed. There is such thing as home advantage, that paired with a rough night shooting from 3 and poor defensive effort caused us to lose.

To put it in perceptive this loss is better than a loss to Nova, Seton Hall, Penn State or Florida State.

Quote Originally Posted by Kong-Kool-Aid View Post
    16th ranked Kenpom team that basically had this game circled on their calendar all year with a raucous crowed. There is such thing as home advantage, that paired with a rough night shooting from 3 and poor defensive effort caused us to lose.

To put it in perceptive this loss is better than a loss to Nova, Seton Hall, Penn State or Florida State.
    I liked the way Pope put it, calling it a "once in 50 years" experience. Wouldn't surprise me if Pepperdine takes them down next Saturday, although the Waves won't have the fan support they had when the Zags were in town.

BYU travels well. From the WCC away games I've watched, they draw their fair share of fans. With their current ranking, I would not be stunned if they get as good a crowd @ Pepperdine as GU did.

Quote Originally Posted by scrooner View Post
    Not having Mark Few in the COTY conversation is ridiculous...

This roster is not among the most talented Gonzaga rosters in the past decade. When you consider the impact of losing 4 players to the NBA, relying on two grad transfer guards who had never set foot on campus prior to this year, losing a recruit before the season began, Ballo's forced redshirt, Tillie's injuries, and losing Watson early in the year....I remain stunned by the performance this group has given and nothing about the BYU loss really changes that perception. A road loss to a good team happens. Games lacking 100% effort happen. It's basketball, and almost every team loses a stinker or two almost every year.

The reaction from the team will be what matters, and Few's quote encapsulates the perfect response...a reminder that the entire reason this season has been so successful has been effort, unselfishness, and intensity that has made the whole far more than the sum of the parts.

Quote Originally Posted by zagfan24 View Post
    This roster is not among the most talented Gonzaga rosters in the past decade. When you consider the impact of losing 4 players to the NBA, relying on two grad transfer guards who had never set foot on campus prior to this year, losing a recruit before the season began, Ballo's forced redshirt, Tillie's injuries, and losing Watson early in the year....I remain stunned by the performance this group has given and nothing about the BYU loss really changes that perception. A road loss to a good team happens. Games lacking 100% effort happen. It's basketball, and almost every team loses a stinker or two almost every year.

The reaction from the team will be what matters, and Few's quote encapsulates the perfect response...a reminder that the entire reason this season has been so successful has been effort, unselfishness, and intensity that has made the whole far more than the sum of the parts.
    Couldn’t have said it better

Quote Originally Posted by cscz28 View Post
    Couldn’t have said it better
    +2
    This post is for March Madness seeding purposes only.

What I like about Few's quote here is that what he speaks about Gonzaga applies to EVERYONE who will have a high seed this March.
    This is the kind of year where if you are an 8/9, you're just not going to get intimidated as in year's past. Is Baylor really going to scare you who may not even have a NBA 1st round pick? Same with 2 seeds, 3 seeds, etc. We're in for a wild tournament due to the lack of talent throughout college basketball. The recruiting class was lousy and too many undrafted underclassmen bailed. This is why I am so thankful that the Zags are finally going to be able to take advantage of playing in the Spokane subregional. I mean, it's not a guarantee that they'll get to the sweet 16, but it certainly will give them an edge in a year where teams need one.

I just didn't have a good feeling going into the BYU game. The Zags had not been playing well, and it had been since late November since their last loss. I also feel BYU has a chance to go on a deep run. Not many teams have a low post player as good as Childs. You combine that with the 43% team 3 pt. shooting, and you have a dangerous team. I also find it interesting that when GU got their butts kicked by Michigan, they had Livers, who put 21 on GU. Then he goes down, and Michigan starts losing games left and right. Now he's back. I heard in a podcast yesterday that the Wolverines since Livers came back are number one at kenpom.com. He's made that much of a difference. I guess what I am saying is we have to give some credit to BYU here. Childs is a big time difference maker.

There was an interesting article in the Deseret News or similar that discussed the disappointment that Haws has experienced in his career. I didn't realize that he, Mika and one other guy (Emery?) were stud HS basketball players on the same and were dubbed the Lone Peak Three. They were supposed to take BYU to new heights. An early exit to play pro and an inappropriately gifted used Jetta later, Haws is the only one left. This aligning of the stars that has happened for BYU this year was supposed to have happened already, with the bright spot before this win probably being the win at GU. This win meant everything to BYU. GU? Not so much.

The upset in Provo is a good personal interested story if you can get past the awful fans in Provo that throw things onto the court and boo even the most obvious of foul calls, or the antics of Haws on the court befitting of that villian from Lethal Weapon 2 with diplomatic immunity (if we find that Haws' scholarship was funded in Kruggerands, I might really be on to something)

This notion that BYU is some also-ran that it's a massive disappointment to lose to is bizarre. Losing is never fun, but losing to a quality team on the road happens to everyone.
    I will thank God for the day and the moment I have. - Jimmy V

Quote Originally Posted by JPtheBeasta View Post
    There was an interesting article in the Deseret News or similar that discussed the disappointment that Haws has experienced in his career. I didn't realize that he, Mika and one other guy (Emery?) were stud HS basketball players on the same and were dubbed the Lone Peak Three. They were supposed to take BYU to new heights. An early exit to play pro and an inappropriately gifted used Jetta later, Haws is the only one left. This aligning of the stars that has happened for BYU this year was supposed to have happened already, with the bright spot before this win probably being the win at GU. This win meant everything to BYU. GU? Not so much.

The upset in Provo is a good personal interested story if you can get past the awful fans in Provo that throw things onto the court and boo even the most obvious of foul calls, or the antics of Haws on the court befitting of that villian from Lethal Weapon 2 with diplomatic immunity (if we find that Haws' scholarship was funded in Kruggerands, I might really be on to something)
    They only got 1 year together when Mika and Emery were sophs and Haws was a frosh. Childs was also a frosh that year and I think Elijah Bryant was a soph as well. They could have had a really good team of they'd stayed together and Emery hadn't done what he did. Mika was really tough, but I can understand leaving early when you're already older from the mission and your money making years are few in basketball. A lot of these BYU players are married and many have kids. I think Haws just had a kid a week or two ago.

Quote Originally Posted by Kong-Kool-Aid View Post

And they are underranked by Kenpom, since it counts the 11 or 12 games they've been without Childs.

BYU is somewhere from 6-10 if only counting the Childs part of the schedule.

Methow, WA (near a known Mark Few fishing hole)

Quote Originally Posted by zagfan24 View Post

Well said.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
    There's a fine line between fishing and just standing on the shore like an idiot. - Steven Wright

Beat everyone, and enjoy drinking from a chalice filled with their salty tears.
    Surfmonkey89

The K2 games this week, which will be a few of the guys last K2 games, will give us a darn good idea of how the team will do in the Dance. Celebrating Ammo Thursday evening will help kick things off.