Thread: Post game radio GU-BYU ( And other media )

Default Post game radio GU-BYU ( And other media )

Hudson: Woolridge was ill coming down to Provo but you would not have known the way he played. Here come the students, BYU ends the win streak, BYU wins 91-78. Cougars finish strong after GU cut the lead to 2. The celebration is on in Provo as a variety of GU streaks come to an end, including 5 straight wins on BYU's floor. Biggest lead of the night for GU was 12-6. The role players for BYU played well, Lee played well, Seljass finished with 12. BYU ended on a 23-10 run. A lot of credit to BYU on their senior night for holding serve, they played tougher tonight and the Zags will have to learn from this.

GU shot only 41.7% from the floor and just 5-25 from three. 82% from the line at 23-28 one of their better performances of the season there. Tillie 18, Kispert 16 but 1-10 from three and 6-15 overall. Petrusev 14 and Gilder 13. BYU Childs 28-10 for a double, double. Toolson 17, Hawes 16.

Morrison noted BYU did a good job of making momentum ending plays, particularly when the Zags made runs to close down to the 2-4 point range. Hudson said for you Gonzaga fans think about what your program has become as the BYU fans continue to dance and celebrate as they have won something greater than a regular season game. The celebration has been nonstop since the final buzzer.

Morrison noted the Zags didn't have a lot of offensive rhythm for much of the night, a credit to BYU's defense. The Zags went 2-13 to end the game. Hudson said there is a lot to look at on tape, why did they end on such a poor shooting night. Morrison noted the loud crowd did have a some effect as the Zags had some poor rotations, maybe unable to communicate at times and Morrison said he didn't think about it much when Hudson said during the game he thought the altitude may have had some effect.

Another thing Morrison said was you can't give up 28 and 10 to Childs, you have to get him off his numbers, he is a fantastic player. Also BYU's role players stepped up and added points and rebounds above their averages which is something you typically see in many of GU's wins. Zags have two games remaining

Michaelson: Hudson, we knew it was going to be tough and physical. BMike they did a fantastic job, they played like a team playing for a an NCAA bid, which they probably already had and they deserve. BYU's effort and physicality was really impressive and those seniors really stepped up tonight, They made all the plays. Tough end of the first half and bad start to the second. But credit to our guys for fighting back. We cut it to 2 and those last 8 minutes were an offensive and defensive lapse. Admon played really well, I was really happy with him, I liked his intensity, he was one of our better players tonight. We had close to a 20 game run and we need to go home and win one of two and clinch the league. That is always our first goal. When you go 5-25 from three you are not going to beat BYU tonight. A lot of great teams lost today, Baylor, Arizona, SDSU. We'll go home and clean some things up. We still have a lot in front of us.

Big night coming up for Morrison Thursday as he said he is still working through some things to say as they hang his jersey in the rafters.
    Last edited by Section 116; 02-23-2020 at 08:07 AM.

Best perspectives regarding the game that I’ve read yet. Out with relatives and missed watching the game. Might have to watch the replay ..... later, after we kick BYU butt in Vegas

Thanks 116

The Slipper Still Fits: "10 Observations": https://www.slipperstillfits.com/202...as-loss-at-byu

Associated Press Wire Story: https://gozags.com/news/2020/2/22/me...byu-91-78.aspx

Spokesman-Review Coverage: https://www.spokesman.com/stories/20...n-91-78-upset/

Deseret News Coverage: https://www.deseret.com/sports/2020/...childs-tj-haws

Salt Lake Tribune Coverage: https://www.sltrib.com/sports/byu-co...knocks-off-no/

Have a solid Sunday.

The Slipper Still Fits nails it for me.

Quote Originally Posted by Zagger View Post
    Agreed pretty spot on. Underlying fear is the St Mary's game was the pinnacle of the season.

Observation #10 from SSF sums it up well. Makes me wonder if Zags poor shooting and defensive lapses are symptomatic of physical and mental fatigue. Zags really need to finish off WCC regular season strong so the can get the bye to WCC tourney semis then take advantage of the long stretch btwn WCC tourney and NCAA tourney to get right physically and mentally:

Gonzaga has not played good basketball since the 30-point win at Saint Mary’s, which was a masterpiece. They looked lethargic and unfocused for extended stretches of the last three games, and it finally cost them a game. BYU was the better team on Saturday, but the Zags made things much more difficult for themselves with the level of execution that was on display. With additional rest coming over the next few weeks before the tournament begins, here’s hoping they can get the adequate rest needed and tighten up on their deficiencies.
    It is their time....their team...I just get to watch. - Bartruff1

Quote Originally Posted by GonzagasaurusFlex View Post
    Observation #10 from SSF sums it up well. Makes me wonder if Zags poor shooting and defensive lapses are symptomatic of physical and mental fatigue. Zags really need to finish off WCC regular season strong so the can get the bye to WCC tourney semis then take advantage of the long stretch btwn WCC tourney and NCAA tourney to get right physically and mentally:
    You're on to something, Flex. Of our 7 man rotation, only Corey, Admon, Ryan, and Killian have played through an entire collegiate season. Filip was relegated to the bench most of last year, as was Joel. Drew is a true freshman.

I think Joel has been the most affected by it, February is the month where players hit "the wall", particularly from the mental aspect of the game.

They'll bounce back, when the calendar turns to March.

Quote Originally Posted by Zagger View Post
    agreed, and to toot our own board's horn a little, ALL those points have been or were articulated here as well, many in the game thread

And SSF did miss one key observation imo

Observation 11: when the Zags didn't switch and Toolson or Haws had the ball, going under the screen got roasted last night. Then, once Zags committed to closing after the 3s had been made off the simple screen, Haws had the defender on a string and could use his pull up, which he did expertly. Toolson and Haws got back to back 3s off of a simple screen by Zags going under with no double, no hard hedge, no anything, 2nd half. Miscommunication, missed assignments, misunderstandings, maybe, but it was the screen/roll D, or lack of it, not just 'missed rotations' or weakside overhelping (that happened too as SSF said)

and I have to disagree with SSF calling the Zags a 'switching team'. Zags do switch, but they switch with certain players and schemes and other times they don't. Petro and Timme on the hard hedge/recover, for example, is not a switch and the Zags have gone to that increasingly as the season has worn on, even tho sometimes the screen/roll or screen/pop action is so good it forces the switch, like when Petro gets stuck on a guard.