Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Pre game rituals, superstitions, et al, compilation thread

Default Pre game rituals, superstitions, et al, compilation thread

I really don't have any, but I'm thinking it might be fun to start some in the next few years for the entertainment value to my boys.

don't have any.
    Go Zags!!! Just Foo'in around.

I put the opponents colors below the Zag colors in the room as a sign of submission. I also have a lighter on hand because when I flash it at the tv it can be distracting to the opposing team.

Woohoo. Post 100. I'm a Zaf go life.
    Agent provocateur

Gotta Bump the Bunnies a few times on game day ... gotta crank Zombie Nation ...
    So many brackets, so little time.

The previous few years I would wear a GU clothing article only in odd numbers. If I wore a GU t-shirt with a GU sweat-shirt over it I had to put on a GU cap just to make it an odd number.

I know I know pretty strange.
    There are 10 kinds of people in this world.
    Those who understand binary and those who do not.
    "Only a madman or an economist thinks exponential growth can go on forever in a finite world."

Func FOO

E .· ` ' / ·. F
    The FOO fuels me.

On game days I wear something with either the Zags' logo or "Gonzaga University".

Prior to the game, I burn an effigy of Dick Vitale in the backyard whilst annointing the ground with sunflower oil and bbq sauce. . .

Bump for the 2010 - 2011 Season. . .

I have 3 pairs of GU BBall shorts. If I am watching the game at home, i will wear one of those 3 pair. If we win, the next game gets the same shorts, if we lose, rotate. Im not sure what the records are for each set of shorts. I will start counting this year.

Find the game listed on the tv guide.

Set my DVR.

Avoid this site until I get a chance to watch the game, usually after my kids go to bed.

Put up with my wifes teasing as inevitably she'll peak at the score at some point and threaten to reveal it to me, thus ruining it for me. Grrrr.

I gear up the fam and watch/bump the bunnies with my oldest. I wear the same gear for each game until a loss when the luck runs out of it. Only then can it be washed. Sometimes I will change gear/drink at halftime if I feel we need some new luck
    “Before you criticize someone, you should walk a mile in their shoes. That way when you criticize them, you are a mile away from them and you have their shoes.” ~Jack Handey~

For the first game of the season, I wear my zags jersey under my work dress shirt (it makes me feel like Superman for some reason).

On gamedays, my palms sweat like a mug, and I send out a text to about 6 of my friends periodically. The text basically says something like "Gonzaga vs St. Marys in T-Minus 2 hours, S-town represent!!! HOLLLAAAAA!!! Bia Bia!!" I've been doing this every game for at least 4 seasons. I'm quite sure 2-3 of those friends hate when I send those. haha

I usually do jumping jacks or hop around for a minute or two right before the game starts, just to make sure my blood keeps flowing and I don't pass out.
    Allow myself to introduce....myself...

Default What are your Zags superstitions or rituals to ensure victory?

I know we all want to do whatever we can to make sure the Zags win. Do you do (or not do) certain things or wear certain clothes during the game to help make shots fall, whistles go our way and our guys play their best?

Speaking for myself, back in '06 I bought a really cool looking T-Shirt when GU played Duke at Madison Square Garden. It had Spike in a Santa hat dunking a basketball. You all remember we got clobbered that game and whenever I wore that shirt on game day the Zags would lose - including the notorious Steph Curry game. Before the W Kentucky 2nd round game the next season, my family (including my sons) gathered and we ripped that shirt apart, doused it in rum and burned it in the yard. Everybody then took a shot right before tip off. We all know what happened next. Meech hit the game winning shot to put us into the Sweet 16. I hate to think what would have happened if we hadn't exorcised the demons in that damned shirt.

What about the rest of you? How do you crank up the mojo for the Zags for the dance?

Remember, it's not weird if it works!

ZZ

I have a pair of blue boxer-briefs and a pair of grey ones (I pretend they are silver). I wear one color on game day, and if the Zags are playing poorly, I switch to the other pair.
    UNITED WE ZAG, BAY-BEE, UNITED WE ZAG

Another great thread.

I have a closet full of Zags t-shirts that are curated depending on the type of game (too complicated/boring to get into here, lol). And of course I change the rules when the mood suits.

In the 2015 Elite Eight year I had this thing about adjusting the lighting in the room (typically my den) depending on the ebb and flow of the game. Superstitious much?

A bit OT, but I was so anxious during the Wichita State game that I overimbibed a bit and to this day I don't understand how we lost the lead, because, well, I was having a hard time following the flow of the game in real time
    Your children have been placed in the custody of...Carl's Jr.

Only one current shirt seems to be lucky. Will be wearing that one throughout the tourney.
    "And Morrison? He did what All-Americans do. He shot daggers in the daylight and stole a win." - Steve Kelley (Seattle Times)

"Gonzaga is a special place, with special people!" - Dan Dickau #21

Foo me once shame on you, Foo me twice shame on me.

2012 Foostrodamus - Foothsayer of Death

Nothing. I used to and none of them got me to the final four
    Qualified for 22 Straight Big Dances

11 Straight Round of 32s

10 Sweet Sixteens (5 Straight)

4 Elite Eights

2017 FINAL FOUR

2 Winningest Players in college basketball history (Karnowski 137, Perkins 134)

The Best Point Guard to ever play the game: John Stockton, most assists, most steals.

If they fall behind by significant amount (greater than 6), I turn the game off, call my dad to have him call and let me know if they're back in it. He near always calls, they're back in it, big.
    Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect.
    Mark Twain.

Methow, WA (near a known Mark Few fishing hole)

Never ever participate in threads predicting the final score.

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk
    There's a fine line between fishing and just standing on the shore like an idiot. - Steven Wright

Beat everyone, and enjoy drinking from a chalice filled with their salty tears.
    Surfmonkey89

Quote Originally Posted by DixieZag View Post
    If they fall behind by significant amount (greater than 6), I turn the game off, call my dad to have him call and let me know if they're back in it. He near always calls, they're back in it, big.
    You must be related to my wife!! She can't stand the stress of watching so goes to the bedroom. She says it just stresses her out too much. Once they are up by 30 she'll come out of the hole and watch, or...wait till the game is over and ask me to rewind it. That anxiety is overwhelming in tight games at times for sure...
    To Fish & Game: Keep streams stocked well for Mr. Few!

Quote Originally Posted by billyberu View Post
    Never ever participate in threads predicting the final score.

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk
    LOL
    "And Morrison? He did what All-Americans do. He shot daggers in the daylight and stole a win." - Steve Kelley (Seattle Times)

"Gonzaga is a special place, with special people!" - Dan Dickau #21

Foo me once shame on you, Foo me twice shame on me.

2012 Foostrodamus - Foothsayer of Death

No "team or sports themed food"...

Everytime my wife makes Zag/Seahawk themed food ... We lose. So.. I no longer get such things as Bulldog cookies, Zag nachos, Hawk dip, etc.

The sacrifices I make to ensure a team win.

I shake my Spike bobble head at the TV screen during tense moments. Doesn't always work though.

stay in my chair and keep cool, keep thinking of how they could win.
    DO NOT get on the floor and crawl toward the TV in a begging position. That's what I did when UCLA came from behind in 2006. Convinced me that praying is not enough. Or else god liked the bruins more.

I used to have a lucky shirt, but it lost two or three times and the last one was a big game and the shirt had to go. Of coarse it was red (I should have known better).

Now during big games if I’m pacing back and forth in front of the tv I will switch from standing to sitting in the recliner if the game isn’t going well (or start pacing if I’m in the recliner). The Zags usually respond to my methodology.
    It's peanut butter jelly time!

We rub Gnomey's head.