Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Congrats to BYU

Quote Originally Posted by upan8th View Post
    BDZ, you're not from Kentucky are you? There's a guy there, on UK board, every time they lose, I swear he sounds just like you.
    Not sure where you are going with this one. My comments only fit one institution in this country. No lies were told. Look at the post count. Takes a lot to get me to do more than read here.

Quote Originally Posted by ZagOD7540 View Post
    Absolutely...then later in the game Ajayi whiffs on back side coverage of Childs and gets the whistle blown on him. He didn’t even touch him. I just have a hard time understanding these “no calls” and “calls”. Then the refs not recognizing the correct FT shooter. Can you say “heads up their asses”?
    So blatant, it begs to question if it was just missed or intentional. There have been some poorly reffed games this year, and i watch a lot of basketball, but this one was by far the worst i have seen.

Give the other team credit, they made the shots when they were open and took advantage of every chance they had. Zags did not.

Beardownzags, jwalk and others, I heartily concur. It may well be the most despised fan base on all of sports. As noted in this thread as well, I have never had a civil experience with any of their fans in Las Vegas and I don't even try anymore! In fact the very first year of the Las Vegas WCC tournament, cups of beer from BYU fans (they actually had cocktail waitresses working the crowd the first year) were tossed over my head and landed on some poor unsuspecting GU fans just in front of me. My opinion of them has not changed from that time.

Quote Originally Posted by jwalk View Post
    So blatant, it begs to question if it was just missed or intentional. There have been some poorly reffed games this year, and i watch a lot of basketball, but this one was by far the worst i have seen.
    I too was frustrated by the way the game was called - lots of contact inside that really made it tough for Petrusev to do his thing. And that shove in the back by Haws should definitely have been called as well. But this was no where near that level of bad reffing. I felt they were fairly consistent in the calls. Unfortunately for us, we rely on that inside game so letting that contact go didn't affect them as much as it did us. (Plus, our guys weren't hitting open threes... but that didn't have anything to do with the foul calls)

Quote Originally Posted by GonzaGAW View Post
    - hey if you want to complaint about byu, start a you hate byu thread.

- this one is for sportsmen and women who wish to say, well played byu. you played hard, well, and were the better team tonight.
    “This one is for sportsmen and women?” Go vote for Bernie.
    What part of good sportsmanship did BYU exhibit tonight? How about the students that threw stuff on the floor and taunted Ryan? BYU basketball fans are on the same low level as Ohio State football fans.

Personally I can’t congratulate a team that acted in the manner that BYU did, and has, in the past countless numbers of times.

Haws should be suspended for that classless act and I’m not sure how that could even be questioned.

My son plays football for Idaho State University. They played at BYU this past fall. I went to the game in Provo. By far the most hospitable and classy fan base I have ever encountered. Lol. Haha. We of course were horrible this year and wereof no threat to BYU in football so maybe that’s why they were so classy and hospitable lol. When I arrived to get my free ticket as a player parent of opposing team, they asked me if I wanted a tour of the stadium since I was a parent of ISU player. I took the tour of lavelle Edwards stadium. They allowed me to eat the catered food in the VIP suite lounge of the tower. It was pretty cool actually. Then during the game the fans sitting around us were very well behaved and classy and decent. More so than I expected. They beat us easily so maybe that was why. The only thing that was odd is that it was really weird to be in a place with about 60,000 people packed into close quarters and literally everyone seemed to look the same except for the 25 or so parents from Idaho State University lol haha. I have never encountered such an atmosphere in that regard lol

Quote Originally Posted by BearDownZags View Post
    Yep congratulations on being the most morally corrupt team and fan base in D1. Guaranteed multiple cheap shots against us every time out. Guarantee of fans throwing trash on the court every time we play there. Always a garbage experience. Would be one thing if they played the game the right way. Happy to tip my hat after games like that. Runs from their players through every one of their fans. As awful of a group of people you can be around for a game.
    10000% agree. I don’t mind losing, in fact I come here to congratulate SMC, have done so for Portland, USD, USF, and many other clubs including after tough tourney losses. This is another animal. I cannot stand this team, fans, players, or their football program they have built. It’s a shame we have to play two sometimes three times a year. Let’s get em back in Vegas

Go zags!
    Qualified for 22 Straight Big Dances

11 Straight Round of 32s

10 Sweet Sixteens (5 Straight)

4 Elite Eights

2017 FINAL FOUR

2 Winningest Players in college basketball history (Karnowski 137, Perkins 134)

The Best Point Guard to ever play the game: John Stockton, most assists, most steals.

For our sake I hope they don’t have their annual sh!# the bed game in SoCal.
    'I found it is the small everyday deeds of ordinary folk that keep the darkness at bay… small acts of kindness and love.'
    - Gandalf the Grey

Foo Time

Quote Originally Posted by AzZag View Post
    What part of good sportsmanship did BYU exhibit tonight? How about the students that threw stuff on the floor and taunted Ryan? BYU basketball fans are on the same low level as Ohio State football fans.

Personally I can’t congratulate a team that acted in the manner that BYU did, and has, in the past countless numbers of times.

Haws should be suspended for that classless act and I’m not sure how that could even be questioned.
    "Go vote for Bernie" Now that was funny!!

It's been a while since I've seen that many missed calls that looked like an easy whistle to me. I dont like it but there is always a human element and the Zags were on the wrong side of it last night.
    BYU players have always been nasty. There has never been a shortage of sharp elbows when playing BYU anywhere let alone at home when they feel like they can get away with it more.
    If Corey knocks down a couple of those shots totally diffrent game but he didn't. The thing that frustrated me most was BYU's defence, they were clearly pumped up we had very few open looks and even when passing the ball quickly on the perimeter there always seemed to be a defender on a shooter.
    I dont like a loss at anytime of the year but this is a wake up call to our kids. There is nothing fair about missed calls, being pushed in the back, bad fans ect.. but if your a championship team you learn from it, it makes you tougher because one thing is for sure it's going to happen again and hopefully we are better prepared to deal with the adversity.

BYU fans were throwing stuff at one another - just bad shots

We gotta come up with a BYU ‘cheer’ for Vegas. I’ve been near crappy BYU fans at the Orleans before. It’s very pleasing to beat BYU there.

- hey if you want to complaint about byu, start a you hate byu thread.

- this one is for sportsmen and women who wish to say, well played byu. you played hard, well, and were the better team tonight.
    Nah, not after this game. I hate BYU so much. Games like this just remind me why. Dirtiest players and whiniest fan base in the country. How did they not get a single technical/flagrant foul in this game? Haws alone should have been fouled out in the first half with his two flops that were CLEARLY blocks and his intentional non-basketball foul (which meets the definition of assault btw). So no, I have no sportsmanship in me to show towards that school.

What I find amusing is that a program and fan base who feel almost entitled to being at the top of the conference has been relegated to a consistent 3rd place and has devolved to a point where a game like last night is a “storm the court” moment. “Yay! We did it! We beat Gonzaga! Are we relevant again?”
    Last edited by ZagHouse; 02-23-2020 at 11:19 AM.

Fan base and school of losers. Throwing stuff on the court during a win? They were acting out a ton last night. Childs talking so much #### and Seljaas as well. Not to mention the Haws cheapshot. Seemed oddly personal.. Doing the short thing after seljaas scored on Gilder? I realize being brought up in that religion probably makes you super pent up (utah has super high % of road rage incidents) but man they seemed weirdly angry last night

Yoeli Childs makes them a potential 2nd weekend (in the Big Dance) team. They did relatively well without him when he was suspended and then injured. Now he's 100%.

Dude can hoop.

They were definitely popping mountain dews after that epic court storming last night

They are a sw16 team. And they were lippy.
    Love the zags for life

But yes congrats BYU! Especially loved the part where you gave our guy a kidney shot and then all called him a flopper. Thank you for the hospitality BYU!! Zag fan base is hilarious - you should see what they say about us when we beat them! At least zags have their classiness

Quote Originally Posted by ZagHouse View Post
    What I find amusing is that a program and fan base who feel almost entitled to being at the top of the conference has been relegated to a consistent 3rd place and has devolved to a point where a game like last night is a “storm the court” moment. “Yeah. We did it. We beat Gonzaga. Are we relevant again?”
    Now they're worried about Pope moving on to a bigger/better program, and if this one game set the stage for their future. LOL, they had a lot of seniors on the court last night, in addition to Tyson Fury's older brother. They'll be relegated to third place again next year. I can't wait for Dominic Harris to throw down a dunk like he did on James Wiseman last year.

Memories are not going to fade in the aftermath of this game.

Quote Originally Posted by jpn17 View Post
    I'll give the refs credit for sure. BYU did not beat Gonzaga at basketball tonight. That is all I have to say about it.
    +1000

Quote Originally Posted by JPtheBeasta View Post
    All good things gotta come to an end.

I've had a hard time understanding or even respecting the fans in that arena but this one will be hard to forget.

Go Zags.
    Yeah, at the end of the day...we go KAFUSIED.

- to the many who have responded to my post........try calming down and read what I said.
    - if you want to complain (hate) on the fans, officials, coach few, or whatever then start a thread on that topic. this was suppose to be a thread to acknowledge one team played better than the other.

- frankly, I'm a bit ashamed for zag nation, as this fan base on gu boards is representative of zag nation. fans by definition are fanatics, and it seems to me we are so accustomed to winning 82% of the time, we meltdown after each loss, think something has been stolen from us. and life is not fair.

- I didn't see one zag player not shake the hand of the entire byu team, I did not hear one zag player afterwards make complaint about game plans, officials, fan behavior. in fact just the opposite, I saw quotes from kispert and killian praising byu's tough minded effort on the court. but then they are just 20 year olds, the ones who really took the defeat...........we are fanatics.

- to the many who have responded to my post........try calming down and read what I said.
    - if you want to complain (hate) on the fans, officials, coach few, or whatever then start a thread on that topic. this was suppose to be a thread to acknowledge one team played better than the other.

- frankly, I'm a bit ashamed for zag nation, as this fan base on gu boards is representative of zag nation. fans by definition are fanatics, and it seems to me we are so accustomed to winning 82% of the time, we meltdown after each loss, think something has been stolen from us. and life is not fair.

- I didn't see one zag player not shake the hand of the entire byu team, I did not hear one zag player afterwards make complaint about game plans, officials, fan behavior. in fact just the opposite, I saw quotes from kispert and killian praising byu's tough minded effort on the court. but then they are just 20 year olds, the ones who really took the defeat...........we are fanatics.
    Not hard to agree with this... we don't have to worry about winning them all until the Dance... it's only spilt milk...

The Cougars earned it.... time to step up to the challenge...

Just my opinion..

Go!! Zags!!!
    "Learn from the past, Plan for the future, Live in the Now!"

I

Yeppers! Go Zags! Beat SD (and honoring Ammo!)!

Quote Originally Posted by AzZag View Post

You nailed it!
    Parlez-vous français?

Good work, BYU. You played like a focus veteran team that knows what it wants - scary team in March if shots fall. Fans were engaged and it was a fantastic pre-March environment. My wife commented, “wow, that sounds a lot louder than the kennel.” I could not deny this. I hope you continue to bring it - huge travesty that Yoeli was penalized for the first 9 games of the year for a failure to properly communicate by the NCAA.

As for GU fans here, please overlook the hurt and corresponding lashing out about fouls and sportsmanship. The statements from the coaches and players are a better reflection of the program.