• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • willandi
    Zag for Life
    • Nov 2007

Originally posted by zagfan1 View Post
    I have no issues with the officiating. We had mental lapses that allowed a BYU to get layins and we couldn’t hit any shots. Petrusev was non existent. We cut it to four and couldn’t get over the hump.
    Watched a different game huh?
    Not even a smile? What's your problem!

Comment

• Gr8Laker
      Redshirt
      • Mar 2019

Originally posted by willandi View Post
      Watched a different game huh?
      The non-call on Haws was a frightened turtle move by the refs...just cowardly. Easily there were a few other bad calls go against GU. Also thinking BYU should have T’d up when the refs correctly reversed the Petro charge to a block on Toolson (?). That call is black and white.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

• zagfan1
        Zag for Life
        • Nov 2007

There was certainly some home town officiating on this one. However a good team needs to persevere and fight through it. We almost did. If we hit those threes we win. Just didn’t work that way. Hopefully this toughens up going into both the WCC and NCAA tourneys. I am counting on them to bounce back strong.

Comment

• tinfoilzag
          Zag for Life
          • Jun 2009

The items that stuck out for me-

40% vs 20% from 3 (it's the difference in the score)
          82% from the line for the Zags
          Haws had 0 personal fouls, zero

I know fans are upset about the outcome but I think we just saw the change in attitude tonight we need to go deep. We shot well from the line in a high-pressure situation. In the second half, Timme and Gilder were fired up and scraping. Ayayi was arguing to stay in the game. Tillie set a legal and devastating pick. Petrusev saw what happened when he layed it up and when he tried to dunk. If Petrusev can learn from this and take the opportunity to mature, he's going to be stronger from here on out. I just hope he's not hurt or regresses mentally.

I think BYU just poked the bear from the rest of the WCC.
          The quality of our thoughts and ideas can only be as good as the quality of our language.

Comment

• TimberZag
            Kennel Club Material
            • Jan 2013

I just think the Marriott Ctr is creepy along with all the BYU players and their fans/student section. It's just an icky feeling I get every time they play there. The Kaufusi brothers back in the day, the fans throwing things; it's not your normal "all in good fun" college environment. Not to be dramatic but it almost feels evil there? I've gone to games at every conference opponent but have never wanted to go to a game in Provo.

Anyway, glad it's over. Some dads made their kids proud. Can't wait for Vegas. Go Zags.

Comment

• gbnyba17
              Kennel Club Material
              • Jan 2008

few needs to come up with a few (pun intended ) new offensive wrinkles. teams are doubling/pressuring us down low, either making it hard to enter the ball down low or harrassing them once we get it down there. how do we counter? havent seen an adjustment yet.

Comment

• Timspo14
                Bulldog Fan
                • Apr 2009

Originally posted by TimberZag View Post
                I just think the Marriott Ctr is creepy along with all the BYU players and their fans/student section. It's just an icky feeling I get every time they play there. The Kaufusi brothers back in the day, the fans throwing things; it's not your normal "all in good fun" college environment. Not to be dramatic but it almost feels evil there? I've gone to games at every conference opponent but have never wanted to go to a game in Provo.

Anyway, glad it's over. Some dads made their kids proud. Can't wait for Vegas. Go Zags.
                Love it.

Comment

• ProVeeZag
                  Zag for Life
                  • Jan 2011

Originally posted by TimberZag View Post

Took me a minute, but that's a clever line there!
                  "Those who believe in telekinetics, raise my hand."
                  —Kurt Vonnegut

Comment

• CB4
                    Zag for Life
                    • Feb 2009

Haws is scrawny. It was a missed foul call. Petru flopped and went down like a ton of bricks. Flop. His back was fine. Missed call though. Petru should have come in hot with an elbow on a rebound after. Don't get mad, get even. Lots of opportunity to get physical with an opponent without actually hurting anyone or crossing the line in a basketball game. Haws is a good player. Zags sucked and lost. BYU was good and won. Refs had nothing to do with it.

Comment

• Zagricultural
                      Professional Zag Fan
                      • Nov 2012

Originally posted by CB4 View Post
                      Haws is scrawny. It was a missed foul call. Petru flopped and went down like a ton of bricks. Flop. His back was fine. Missed call though. Petru should have come in hot with an elbow on a rebound after. Don't get mad, get even. Lots of opportunity to get physical with an opponent without actually hurting anyone or crossing the line in a basketball game. Haws is a good player. Zags sucked and lost. BYU was good and won. Refs had nothing to do with it.
                      Look, take the highroad all you want but please keep honesty among your virtues. To say the refs had nothing to do with it is just simply untrue.

Comment

• ProVeeZag
                        Zag for Life
                        • Jan 2011

Watching tonight's game with BYU was the equivalent of a 2 hour root canal without anesthesia. And without dental insurance. The Zags played poorly, but still could have come out with the W had the officiating been even mediocre. Alas, it was not even up to mediocre, it was blatantly one-sided in favor of BYU. And what kind of sportsmanship is shown by the BYU player (Seljass?) who stepped to the free throw line late in the game to shoot the bonus when he was what -20 feet away from where the foul occurred? He knew he wasn't the player to be shooting the free throws, but up he steps to the line cool as a cucumber, innocent as can be. That takes a special mindset ... one I want nothing to do with. I wonder ... did Coach Pope instruct him to go to the foul line instead of the player who was really fouled? My hunch is that he did. There's losing ... and then there's losing to BYU like we did tonight. This loss was special.
                        "Those who believe in telekinetics, raise my hand."
                        —Kurt Vonnegut

Comment

• ballerstatus
                          Bulldog Fan
                          • Dec 2008

Cant say if Petrusev flopped or not..but he was moving and got a blindside push. For all the Flag 1 calls I've seen (many were for far less) I was surprised of all officiating in the country that the WCC didnt call that.
                          Petrusev needs to get stronger, as does Timme. BYU out muscled them the majority of the game.

Comment

• Zags11
                            Banned
                            • Mar 2008

It should of been F1 on Haws. I want vegas.

Comment

• WallaWallaZag
                              Zag for Life
                              • Feb 2007

Originally posted by Zags11 View Post
                              You proved my point dixie. Im actually chill rn. I thought we would lose in BYU. It just sucks to watch doubling down and allowing open looks.

Im done debating. Its obvious Few is a God and perfect and it is the players.
                              based on your posts you don't seem too chill...rather emotional actually.

agree on the doubling down, but there really wasn't a good option there as tillie was in foul trouble and byu was iso'ing childs on him in the post. zags were doubling and childs still put up 28 so what would you do???

Comment

• sullyzag66
                                Zag for Life
                                • Feb 2007

Post game thoughts vs BYU

Originally posted by ballerstatus View Post
                                Cant say if Petrusev flopped or not..but he was moving and got a blindside push. For all the Flag 1 calls I've seen (many were for far less) I was surprised of all officiating in the country that the WCC didnt call that.
                                Petrusev needs to get stronger, as does Timme. BYU out muscled them the majority of the game.

[QUOTE ]“They were tougher and outplayed us,” Petrusev said. “We let them outplay us and they beat us.”

Petrusev said BYU surprised the Zags with its physicality after not putting up much of a fight in Spokane.

“Yeah, I mean, we knew they were going to come in, swipe at the ball, throw some punches around. Like, they always do that,” he said. “We walked in kind of like, softly. ... We beat them easily at home, so it was kind of a surprise, yeah.”

Asked if BYU was literally throwing punches, Petrusev clarified: “Well, they make plays, like really, really physical, to a point where it is a foul most of the time. The referees let them play … hey kinda let the contact and physicality (go). They are really, really physical.”[/QUOTE]

Comment

Working...
                                X