Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: @BYU : Post game thoughts

Integrity, honesty and virtue matter. Apparently it doesn’t in some circles.
    To Fish & Game: Keep streams stocked well for Mr. Few!

Quote Originally Posted by gbnyba17 View Post
    few needs to come up with a few (pun intended ) new offensive wrinkles. teams are doubling/pressuring us down low, either making it hard to enter the ball down low or harrassing them once we get it down there. how do we counter? havent seen an adjustment yet.
    make your three's and you don't need to come up with a counter...just like byu did to the zags. this is where woolridge hurts...haws was able to run around like a free safety because woolridge isn't enough of a threat. he needs to make up for it in other ways and usually does.

Quote Originally Posted by gueastcoast View Post
    IIRC, the last time we had a late season loss to BYU, we went to the national championship game.

The sun will come out tomorrow.
    In Seattle and was out enjoying time with relatives. Looking at the box score and reading posts ..... not sure I want to watch the replay at home! A post I found to smile about was IIRC’s

Looking at the box score and seeing Corey 1/10 from 3 and Woolridge with only 2 says a few chapters.
    Going to Vegas where I’ll bet it gets a bit feisty between GU & Yner fans. Going to have to brush up on my sporting insults

Pretty easy analysis on this one. We couldn't contain Childs, we were super sloppy following shooters on defense, and we couldn't hit open threes. The refs did make some mistakes, but we did shoot way more fts so I can't complain about the refs. Honestly Gilder and Kispert missed open threes they normally make. Thankfully it is the best offense we will see all year.

Zags were defeated no question. Y ner’s were-playing with high energy and focus. That crowd was right there with them and we were literally overwhelmed. All those3 balls were impressive by them and we kept forcing it inside to an overwhelmed and fumbling Petro. I kept asking why aren’t we matching the outside shot barrage? Our bigs were not positioned to get rebounds throughout it seemed. They played a heck of a game and deserved the win regardless of horrid officiating. Move on, learn and grow from this. I’m glad Childs and HeHaw are graduating finally at what, 26 years old or something? Haw’s antics were sickening and refs ignored his filthy play. Zero fouls..yeah right!
    To Fish & Game: Keep streams stocked well for Mr. Few!

BYU might be the dirtiest team out there masquerading as being pious. Wooly or Gilder, heck, any Zag, did what Haws did... almost sure you'd seen at least a F1 on it. Total BS that they said yeah common foul but we can't call it from replay. Tack on that the refs swallowed their whistles the entire game... I wouldn't be shocked if the boys came back to Spokane with scratch marks up and down their arms.

That being said, BYU was on fire for the entire game. If the Zags had been hitting 3s like they usually do, this would have been a much different outcome. Bring them on in Vegas. Think the boys beat them down something fierce the next time around.
    "And Morrison? He did what All-Americans do. He shot daggers in the daylight and stole a win." - Steve Kelley (Seattle Times)

"Gonzaga is a special place, with special people!" - Dan Dickau #21

Foo me once shame on you, Foo me twice shame on me.

2012 Foostrodamus - Foothsayer of Death

Quote Originally Posted by LongIslandZagFan View Post
    BYU might be the dirtiest team out there masquerading as being pious. Wooly or Gilder, heck, any Zag, did what Haws did... almost sure you'd seen at least a F1 on it. Total BS that they said yeah common foul but we can't call it from replay. Tack on that the refs swallowed their whistles the entire game... I wouldn't be shocked if the boys came back to Spokane with scratch marks up and down their arms.

That being said, BYU was on fire for the entire game. If the Zags had been hitting 3s like they usually do, this would have been a much different outcome. Bring them on in Vegas. Think the boys beat them down something fierce the next time around.
    So what comes next? Does Mike Roth send video evidence of the missed calls, and flagrant fouls to the league office? Or are we supposed to just lick our wounds and move on?

Default Move on

Quote Originally Posted by TexasZagFan View Post
    So what comes next? Does Mike Roth send video evidence of the missed calls, and flagrant fouls to the league office? Or are we supposed to just lick our wounds and move on?
    It was cheap but rewatched and it is what it is. Randy Bennett owns BYU. BYU won their super bowl last night and then will lose to SMC in wcc’s and then get a seed in tourney where they can only play on Thursday where a Texas Tech style team will not put up with Haws’ crap and bounce them around..

Questioning Few's defensive gameplan and in game adjustments is fair but it's off the mark.

From the git go they double teamed Childs and it worked for a good ten minutes. Then BYU started hitting a few shots. The adjustment was made and the Zags went more straight up without doubles and Childs lit up Petrusev and Timme. It was more a case of BYU hitting their shots than anything else. I warned about Toolson in one of the pregame threads as it seemed everybody was overlooking him. He hit five threes, four of them pretty well defended and one from 30 feet.

Nearly everything had to go BYU's way for them to win. Both charges drawn by Haws in the first few minutes were questionable. If those had been called blocks he wouldn't even have been in the game to send a forearm shiver to Petrusev's back. If one of them had been called differently and a flagrant was properly assessed Haws would have been on the bench in that scenario also. Petrusev reverted to soft Pet and got stripped three or four times because he brought the ball down to waist level practically inviting slaps from the defense. Kispert couldn't hit the broad side of the barn going 1-10 from three. Just those three things cost the Zags 10-15 points. Still, they were in the game until very late second half. If those things had been reversed, nobody would have questioned the gameplan.

Here's the thing. This team hasn't faced this level of adversity before. Timme, Petrusev, Woolridge and Ayayi were all a bit surprised by the size of the moment. What happens next will be the true measure of this team. Will they adjust to the glare of the big stage? I think they will. Few, as well as he has coached this year, has his biggest challenge with this group in the next two weeks. If he gets the players to understand the intensity and focus they need to play with next week and in the WCC tourney and they perform well Few can claim his best coaching effort ever. And then I think they will be ready for the Show.

ah, the sun is out today

without getting too into it, if Haws wants to stand in the lane to take a charge, Timme Petro CK or whoever should drop their shoulder into his face and drive him onto the second row, it's legal, and then see if he still wants to do it. I mean, everyone take a hard charge on him and drive him into the crowd like a pile driver, Jack Tatum style. it's not a new idea, it's very old school, it's a foul but if they're calling it anyway, make him pay for it physically. No fouls on Haws? lol

thought the matchups with Childs would force GUs hand defensively, and it did; Pope's game plan with Childs very different

honestly, who is surprised by how BYU played? they always play like this, and they have some skilled players this year, too. But with all that went down, Zags got it to two and CK had some great looks, great looks, and they didn't drop. I'll take those looks again and live with the results, like I am this morning.

the guy I'm wondering about is Ayayi; in these half court possession by possession type games, he doesn't look comfortable to me. last night he casted a 3 early in the game early in the shot clock, missed badly, and that was his night for most of it. Petro bringng the ball down is a problem he needs to fix becasue it gets stripped and his hands are not strong enough to hold onto it

Quote Originally Posted by IMADEYOUREADTHIS View Post
    Can’t go under screens on BYU, we did it all night.

Petrusev was pretty atrocious tonight. Our rebounding most of the game was bad. And Kispert couldn’t buy a three.

We made a good run near the end and ran out of gas.

That being said, BYU was nails. Good team with Childs. They can make it to the second weekend if they stroke it like that.

I really like their coach.
    great point about going under screens, said the same in the game thread. Or if we go under, some other D besides allowing the open 3 to Haws and Toolson, yuck, at least a hard hedge or double the dribbler

agreed on all your points but Pope

Default "They were . . .tougher than we were."

Players and Coach React:

“They out-toughed us for sure, and it showed at the end of the game. They made shots and it’s easy like that when you play hard, shots fall in automatically. Everybody, including me, didn’t do a good job of being physical and communicating. Nobody had the fight in their eyes, everybody had blank faces. " -- Killian Tillie

“They were just playing with much more spirit, much more passion and they were off-the-charts tougher than we were. We got out-toughed in every phase. If you’re not the toughest team, you’re putting yourselves in position to drop a game.” -- Mark Few

“The tougher team won. Those guys had it and we didn’t." -- Corey Kispert

( Source of the above quotes: https://www.spokesman.com/stories/20...n-91-78-upset/ )

Analyst Predicts:

"The only thing that limits Bulldogs is the vulnerability to a physical, clutch-and-grab defensive team that will be allowed to foul the bejesus out of Gonzaga while three whistles are swallowed. And they will be." -- Jay Bilas, 2/13/2020

Give credit where due, BYU played fantastic. BYU fans had 3 times as many fans as GU can fit in its gym, now GU knows what having a great fan base feels like when its against you.

Quote Originally Posted by pony View Post
    Give credit where due, BYU played fantastic. BYU fans had 3 times as many fans as GU can fit in its gym, now GU knows what having a great fan base feels like when its against you.
    We didn’t know that before this game? Let’s compare fan bases in Vegas.
    It's peanut butter jelly time!

Quote Originally Posted by NotoriousZ View Post
    We didn’t know that before this game? Let’s compare fan bases in Vegas.

This. Read on the byu board all the time how that Zags represent so much better in Vegas because they know how to "game the system." ?

Whatever.
    This post is for March Madness seeding purposes only.

Quote Originally Posted by sullyzag66 View Post
    https://www.deseret.com/sports/2020/...ert-mormon-lds

[QUOTE ]“They were tougher and outplayed us,” Petrusev said. “We let them outplay us and they beat us.”

Petrusev said BYU surprised the Zags with its physicality after not putting up much of a fight in Spokane.

“Yeah, I mean, we knew they were going to come in, swipe at the ball, throw some punches around. Like, they always do that,” he said. “We walked in kind of like, softly. ... We beat them easily at home, so it was kind of a surprise, yeah.”

Asked if BYU was literally throwing punches, Petrusev clarified: “Well, they make plays, like really, really physical, to a point where it is a foul most of the time. The referees let them play … hey kinda let the contact and physicality (go). They are really, really physical.”
    [/QUOTE]

Its called Dirty...

Quote Originally Posted by IMADEYOUREADTHIS View Post
    Can’t go under screens on BYU, we did it all night.

Petrusev was pretty atrocious tonight. Our rebounding most of the game was bad. And Kispert couldn’t buy a three.

We made a good run near the end and ran out of gas.

That being said, BYU was nails. Good team with Childs. They can make it to the second weekend if they stroke it like that.

I really like their coach.

True no doubt...

There is a NEW sheriff in town, one that want his team to be known for defence as well as offence...

Things are going to get tougher next year with Pope...it will be interesting to see how he (if he can) recruit outside of Utah...

Quote Originally Posted by Bogozags View Post
    True no doubt...

There is a NEW sheriff in town, one that want his team to be known for defence as well as offence...

Things are going to get tougher next year with Pope...it will be interesting to see how he (if he can) recruit outside of Utah...
    Sorry to disagree with you, Bogo. They’re loaded with seniors (and Tyson Fury’s older brother), and they have no where the incoming recruiting class we have.

Quote Originally Posted by Zags11 View Post
    You proved my point dixie. Im actually chill rn. I thought we would lose in BYU. It just sucks to watch doubling down and allowing open looks.

Im done debating. Its obvious Few is a God and perfect and it is the players.

In most cases in a loss, Coaches normally are blamed but IMO it wasn't the game plan that failed IT WAS THE TEAM that failed the game plan!

Filip had a horrible game...reminds me more and more of "Pretty Boy", which is what my wife called Daye...there is no doubt he was fouled more in the post and it wasn't called (Haws) but he just didn't bring it and that in itself was a prime reason we lost...another was missing defensive assignments, going under screens, taking/forcing shots and overall just not playing basketball as we normally play BUT BYU played a hell of a game and made us play "disorganized" which was their game plan AND they executed...which we didn't...blame it on Coach Few if you wish BUT...

Didn't miss a shot
    Never had one turn-over
    Didn't commit a single foul
    Never missed an assignment on defence
    Didn't take a bad shot or force a shot

I don't like to blame coaches/players for losses...it just seems like it is unethical IMO and profits no one...ALL eight of out players that entered the game had EVERY intention to play well and defeat BYU but they didn't

We will see if the TEAM can make the proper adjustments in the tournament...but right now, the coaching staff and players need to review the tape, discuss the pros and cons of the team's efforts/lack of and move on to next Thursday...

This game is in the books...

Quote Originally Posted by TexasZagFan View Post
    Sorry to disagree with you, Bogo. They’re loaded with seniors (and Tyson Fury’s older brother), and they have no where the incoming recruiting class we have.
    I was referring to the attitude and philosophy of Coach Pope...under Coach Rose it sure seemed as though "D" was not the number one priority or the team just didn't take him seriously. Last night, BYU played better than any team in the past 20 years...even the team with Jimmy...

I believe things are going to get tougher next year as his philosophy will take over going forward...

Actually not the worst thing in the world for them to lose a physical game, in a hostile building with lots of uncalled fouls. They will have to overcome adversity in the post season and this is the kind of a game that they don’t get enough of in WCC play. It reminded me of Texas Tech E8 game last season.

ZZ

Default Transition offense

Our guards have been bad on fast break transition offense lately. Too often we get a stop on defense or a rebound, start the fast break and then Wooly or Ayayi crosses half court, puts their head down and drives into double or triple coverage at the rim resulting in a turnover or block. I'm tired of seeing those 2 under the rim with the ball and nowhere to go and then getting stripped.

ZZ

Quote Originally Posted by Zags11 View Post
    Quick notes so I can collect myself later.

Few gameplan was horrible. Horrible.

Kispert was bad from 3 and it hurt as we dont have anyone else.
    Yup...should have added helmets and shoulder pads. Ever play in a game with Hackers? Strategy/winning kinda goes out the window...and since a Few team isnt gonna goon it up...he simply calls a timeout and says: just run the clock out and lets get out of this #### hole...better than losing players to suspensions or injuries.

Quote Originally Posted by jim77 View Post
    Yup...should have added helmets and shoulder pads. Ever play in a game with Hackers? Strategy/winning kinda goes out the window...and since a Few team isnt gonna goon it up...he simply calls a timeout and says: just run the clock out and lets get out of this #### hole...better than losing players to suspensions or injuries.
    Maybe next time we do this:
    https://youtu.be/KsdnDSw2Z5E

Just make sure the team bus is parked close...

Quote Originally Posted by jim77 View Post
    Would those suspensions be by the team, the school or the WCC? I don't expect any of those entities to punish Haws even though it was at least, a flagrant 1 and probably a 2.

Once I was walking with a buddy of mine. We were working seismic/oil exploration so both were in great shape. He shoulder bumped me and I didn't see it coming. It put my neck out of alignment. It wasn't that hard, but hurt like hell. Luckily we were about 3-4 doors away from a chiropractor that I used, so we went there and I made my buddy pay.

Somehow I don't think Haws will pay for anything. I don't like him. He is scrappy and a good to great shooter, but he pushes the envelope of what he can get away with, all the time. He is the poster boy for an undersized, dirty player.
    It's not funny.