• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Markburn1
    Zag for Life
    • Oct 2015

Originally posted by MDABE80 View Post
    In some ways it’s outlived it usefulness. Everything that could be said about Filip has been said 48 hrs we have a new game and a big game following that. Let’s move on.
    It’s not about Filip per se after post 86. It’s an interesting analytical discussion.

Comment

• MDABE80
      Zag for Life
      • Feb 2007

I think it's general concensus ( if it isn't by now it should be) that our Filip ( and a good portion of the team according to Few).........is soft and largely was manhandled by the BYU group. We know that and no matter how many ways it's said, nothing new is to be learned. THe real question is how do we proceed so FIlip doesn't bear the brunt of his deficiencies the rest of the season. Interspersed are other items and some analytics..and you're correct along those lines. If you read those posts though...it's always goes back to Filip..his weaknesses primarily.. also the strengths of other bigs before him.
      It's just my opinion that it's time to move on to the weekend games. No offense intended. We just keep drifting back to FIlip and I do think a better topic would be what we might do to counter certain weaknesses.
      Mark. I fully understood that it would be nice to uncouple the analytics from the Filip component from this thread. LIZ says it's not possible.

Perhaps this thread should dovetail into two other threads.one about the analytics of the team and another about where we're going to help the team for a deep run.
      If we win both games this weekend we'll be 29-2. No 1 seed and number 3 or 4 depending on whihc poll you read.
      as the WCC apppraoches, how would we play BYU differently/... more Tillie, Timme? How so...etc. Who and how do we guard Childs and whats to do with Haws in terms of controlling him offensivley... stuff like that. Again, maybe these are my own interests regard how we play the next month to correct deficiencies. If Im wrong, I apologize in advance.

Comment

• jazzdelmar
        Zag for Life
        • Feb 2007

Originally posted by gonstu View Post
        Did you "lock your answer" with "H?" If so - it appears you just took heytvelt over the bonus ... d'oh!
        When pigs fly. 21-15-9 last night.

Comment

• LongIslandZagFan
          • Feb 2007

Originally posted by JPtheBeasta View Post
          Then he can focus on his riddle-telling hobby and resume the quest to find his Precious.
          "And Morrison? He did what All-Americans do. He shot daggers in the daylight and stole a win." - Steve Kelley (Seattle Times)

"Gonzaga is a special place, with special people!" - Dan Dickau #21

Foo me once shame on you, Foo me twice shame on me.

2012 Foostrodamus - Foothsayer of Death

Comment

• RenoZag
            Super Moderator
            • Feb 2007

Originally posted by Markburn1 View Post
            Is it possible to upgrade this thread? or maybe move the analytic part to a separate thread? Maybe from post #86 onward?
            Originally posted by LongIslandZagFan View Post
            Wish there was a way.
            As requested

( Moderator's Note: This thread was created to pull the discussion / analytics of GU Big men from the Petrusev Post BYU Game discussion thread )
            The GUB Resource Library: Links to: Stats, Blogs, Brackets, & More. . .

“They go to school. They do their homework. They shake hands. They say please and thank you. But once you throw that ball up, they will rip your heart out and watch you bleed.” -- Jay Bilas

Comment

• Reborn
              Zag for Life
              • Oct 2007

First to compare Petrusev to players who played the high post or 4 is not a good or a true comparison. Petrusev is not a 4. So that would take out Sabonis, Daye, Violette, and Calvary. So that leaves 9. I would next ask how many of these low post players were on the Kareen Abdul Jabar award list. I believe Clarke, Karnowski, and Batista made that list. That would take out Sacre, Heytvelt, Turiaf and JW3. Next I'd take a look at who was a finalist for the John Wooden award. I'm sure he's the only one. So obviously, there are many basketball analysts who believe he's pretty special. I also believe he's the only center to lead the team in scoring.

You may not like him. I may not like him. He is not the best defesnive center we've had. But all that aside, he is still the best center Gonzaga has ever had in the low post. That was all I brought up. You can't take away the facts that he is a Wooden Finalist.
              Go Zags!!! The Best Is Yet To Come!!!

Comment

• LongIslandZagFan
                • Feb 2007

A bit mad at myself... really should have added Kelly into that. Here is his line per 40 (Sophmore year only):

FG FGA FG% 2P 2PA 2P% 3P 3PA 3P% FT FTA FT% TRB AST STL BLK TOV PF PTS
                6.3 11 0.574 5.3 8.7 0.608 1 2.3 0.444 3.6 5.8 0.618 11.3 2.2 1 0.4 3.6 4.8 17.2
                "And Morrison? He did what All-Americans do. He shot daggers in the daylight and stole a win." - Steve Kelley (Seattle Times)

Comment

• LTownZag
                  Banned
                  • Mar 2017

Originally posted by Reborn View Post
                  First to compare Petrusev to players who played the high post or 4 is not a good or a true comparison. Petrusev is not a 4. So that would take out Sabonis, Daye, Violette, and Calvary. So that leaves 9. I would next ask how many of these low post players were on the Kareen Abdul Jabar award list. I believe Clarke, Karnowski, and Batista made that list. That would take out Sacre, Heytvelt, Turiaf and JW3. Next I'd take a look at who was a finalist for the John Wooden award. I'm sure he's the only one. So obviously, there are many basketball analysts who believe he's pretty special. I also believe he's the only center to lead the team in scoring.

You may not like him. I may not like him. He is not the best defesnive center we've had. But all that aside, he is still the best center Gonzaga has ever had in the low post. That was all I brought up. You can't take away the facts that he is a Wooden Finalist.
                  The lists you keep citing (Wooden, Jabar) compare Petrusev to players from others teams in this season.
                  Everyone else is having a discussion comparing Petrusev to players from this team in other seasons.

How do you define "low post player" in a way that excludes collegiate Sabonis or Calvary or Cory Violette (described here as a 6'11" center who took .8 3pt attempts per game over 4 years)?

Comment

• bdmiller7
                    Zag for Life
                    • Jun 2017

Originally posted by Reborn View Post

The Kareem Abdul Jabbar award was first awarded in 2015, so a lot of Zags may have been on the list had it been around during their careers.

Comment

• MDABE80
                      Zag for Life
                      • Feb 2007

So. With all these analytics, who , by the numbers, is/was our best and most efficient big man??

Comment

• bdmiller7
                        Zag for Life
                        • Jun 2017

I really dont get all the negative criticism of Petrusev. As a true sophomore he stacks up well with anybody the Zags have ever had, outside of maybe Sabonis. My guess is it mostly has to do with the complaining to the refs, because his play has been great. He has been the team MVP. Tillie might be the best, when he's on the court, but Petrusev has pretty consistently great this year while being the focal point of the offense. It's clear he puts a pressure on the D by the number of opponent fouls he creates.

Comment

• LTownZag
                          Banned
                          • Mar 2017

Originally posted by MDABE80 View Post
                          So. With all these analytics, who , by the numbers, is/was our best and most efficient big man??
                          Looking at single seasons, it comes down to the two guys who took a red shirt year then dominated and went to the NBA:

Clarke '19 (he blocked more shots than he missed. Even without being the best defender in GU history, his offense probably puts him top3 on this list.)
                          ---
                          Olynyk '13 (and I'm not claiming Olynyk was a "low post" player for purposes of the petrusev comparisons above)

Comment

• Zagdawg
                            Zag for Life
                            • Feb 2007

But....but....his arms are so short......

Comment

• LongIslandZagFan
                              • Feb 2007

Here are Brandon's numbers per 40:

FG FGA FG% 2P 2PA 2P% 3P 3PA 3P% FT FTA FT% TRB AST STL BLK TOV PF PTS
                              9.9 14.4 0.687 9.7 13.8 0.705 0.2 0.6 0.267 4.2 6 0.694 12.2 2.7 1.7 4.5 2.2 3 24.1

Comment

• bdmiller7
                                Zag for Life
                                • Jun 2017

Petrusev has had 2 games with under 10 pts this year, 9 against Michigan and 5 against BYU when he got hurt. He has been a rockstar in most games.

Comment

Working...
                                X