Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Petrusev Discussion Thread: Post BYU Game

Quote Originally Posted by Zags11 View Post
    Yea we dont have the physical knock you down type of player. I will beg Vegas rematch vs BYU will be different tho.
    Send Arlo in and tell him to be physical if there's uncalled cheapshots. Refs will get control of the game quick. We got embarassingly pushed around.

Quote Originally Posted by JPtheBeasta View Post
    Petrusev was ineffective in both Zag losses. This team will probably go as far as he allows them to go. He needs to find a way to be stronger with the ball and be mentally tougher, in my opinion.
    this

Quote Originally Posted by john montana View Post
    That was a garbage play. Dirty. Absolutely no other way to view it and how the refs waived it off is shocking. If Hawes pulled that crap on a playground he would have had his ass handed to him.

I was hoping the dirtbag cheapshot basketball would have left with rose. Guess not.
    this!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Zags11 View Post
    Yea we dont have the physical knock you down type of player. I will beg Vegas rematch vs BYU will be different tho.
    Kispert would be the player who might do that.

I sure miss Marc Armstead in times like these.

Quote Originally Posted by hondo View Post
    I sure miss Marc Armstead in times like these.
    Yeah ... and I'd take Jerry Price ... the big, tough logger from Forks.
    https://digital.gonzaga.edu/digital/...coll2/id/2569/

"To be continued ....."
    Father Tony Lehman, SJ

Wouldnt surprise me if Few did it to protect the kid.

Quote Originally Posted by JPtheBeasta View Post
    Petrusev was ineffective in both Zag losses. This team will probably go as far as he allows them to go. He needs to find a way to be stronger with the ball and be mentally tougher, in my opinion.
    EXACTLY...he has difficulty with physical play...UM and BYU dominated him inside...

I don't blame the refs in the least with the way he was not strong enough to hold the ball...what does he think will happen at the next level???

That play against Filip should have been an F1 but didn't think he was pushed hard enough to be knocked down...

As I mentioned in another thread...for those that remember Austin Daye (08 & 09), he ALWAYS complained when called for a foul!

Quote Originally Posted by Bogozags View Post
    EXACTLY...he has difficulty with physical play...UM and BYU dominated him inside...

I don't blame the refs in the least with the way he was not strong enough to hold the ball...what does he think will happen at the next level???

That play against Filip should have been an F1 but didn't think he was pushed hard enough to be knocked down...

As I mentioned in another thread...for those that remember Austin Daye (08 & 09), he ALWAYS complained when called for a foul!
    Dont forget pendo too. He would be stomping around.
    Love the zags for life

We were playing basketball. BYU was playing modified football with the refs approval! Lolol who knew our guys wouldn’t understand that and adjust accordingly. It’ll be different next time!

[QUOTE=GoZags;1507082]Yeah ... and I'd take Jerry Price ... the big, tough logger from Forks.
    https://digital.gonzaga.edu/digital/...coll2/id/2569/[/QUOTE

You are going way back with that mention.

Quote Originally Posted by Bogozags View Post

Isn't this Filip's first year of playing against men? He didn't play that much last year, playing behind Rui and Brandon. This year, every opponent has a game plan against Filip, i.e. go after his hands. It worked for BYU, as Childs and Lee are grown men, and experienced players.

Filip's got to make that adjustment, to be stronger and more aggressive in going to the hoop. He's got skill and potential, but it's more geared to Euro League basketball than the NBA. As most NBA teams draft on potential, I could see Filip being drafted this year as a project. At this point, I don't expect him to be a contributor on a pro team next year, if he decides to leave GU.

OTOH, it's a moot point, what with Timme and Ballo playing next year. Drew has really come on the past month, and he was a real beast last night.

I agree with other posters here: Filip's whining about calls against him are doing him no good.

Quote Originally Posted by TexasZagFan View Post
    Isn't this Filip's first year of playing against men? He didn't play that much last year, playing behind Rui and Brandon. This year, every opponent has a game plan against Filip, i.e. go after his hands. It worked for BYU, as Childs and Lee are grown men, and experienced players.

Filip's got to make that adjustment, to be stronger and more aggressive in going to the hoop. He's got skill and potential, but it's more geared to Euro League basketball than the NBA. As most NBA teams draft on potential, I could see Filip being drafted this year as a project. At this point, I don't expect him to be a contributor on a pro team next year, if he decides to leave GU.

OTOH, it's a moot point, what with Timme and Ballo playing next year. Drew has really come on the past month, and he was a real beast last night.

I agree with other posters here: Filip's whining about calls against him are doing him no good.
    I’d rather see Filip put his anger energy into playing defense.
    Parlez-vous franÁais?

Quote Originally Posted by Mantua View Post
    I’d rather see Filip put his anger energy into playing defense.
    Or take it out on the rim and dunk the ball. I don’t ever recall such a skilled 6’-11” guy miss so many bunnies and have his shot blocked as often. Clarke would average a triple double against Petro: points, rebounds, and blocks.

Come on now, Petro has been good all year. He's not a physical big but he uses his size to create angles and has great touch! If your leading scorer is a finesse big
    and dosnt really thrive on contact you have to find another way to win. I dont like the cheap shots at all but this is a big boy sport. There were a couple of fouls that no question should have been flagrants but they wern't called. It is what it is , you have to figure it out. Last night BYU played like it was a war, we played like we were waiting for the refs to bail us out. I dont like cheap fouls at all but if you get pushed you better push back.
    I'm not into beating up Petro the kid has been really good all year sure he complains too much when he gets fouled unfortunately he is finesse big.
    Bottom line it was a loss, the committee dosnt care if BYU is nasty and plays basketball like a bunch of thugs. That has always been their MO.
    We couldn't knock down enough shots and we got pushed around. This wont be the last time we get pushed around we have to figure it out.
    Last edited by FloridaZagFan; 02-23-2020 at 07:00 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by spike_jr View Post
    Or take it out on the rim and dunk the ball. I don’t ever recall such a skilled 6’-11” guy miss so many bunnies and have his shot blocked as often. Clarke would average a triple double against Petro: points, rebounds, and blocks.
    Whoa. Tough to compare a first round, all NBA rookie team pick with a low 2d round at best player. Petro is a nice college player but the least effective Zag big in about a decade.

Iíve never liked BYU basketball. Doubt I ever will. Losing to them sucks. And Iím sure it sucks most to the Zags. One heck of a lot more than it does to us fans. The year to year character of Zag basketball turns a loss like this into better play going forward. How much so will be evident on Thursday and Saturday.

Petrusev is definitely gone this summer. BYU was super effective at doubling him and then taking away his nearest pass, leading to a bunch turnovers. He is a phenomenal offensive player, but his biggest issue for us is defense. We now know that this team can defend driving guards decently, while struggling with rotations in three point defense and interior defense. First Stewart, second Toeske, and finally Childs have shown that a talented big can feast on us down low.

Quote Originally Posted by jazzdelmar View Post
    Whoa. Tough to compare a first round, all NBA rookie team pick with a low 2d round at best player. Petro is a nice college player but the least effective Zag big in about a decade.
    Scalding hot, and equally wrong, take. Dude is efficient. He had a bad night, and the shooters failed to draw the defense out to the three point line. Bad combination for a skilled big.
    Quote Originally Posted by Reborn View Post
    Go Zags!!!

Looks like Filip as a sophomore is a soft Big. He knows he was dominated Saturday. He can toughen up and I suspect he will be the rest of the season. All he needs to do his get piiiised. I know that if some shovey nasty players prevented my NBA future, I’d be the toughest guy n the arena from here on in. Never know... he might sharpen those elbows and toughen up. If he does, he’ll get the next level. I think BYU was in a mission to beat us physically and in the final score. They’ve done it before. Filip probably was surprised at the abuse. He can change. I hope he stays.

Wow just read this thread. After one loss everyone turns on Petrusev, calling him soft and untalented. Leading scorer on a team that’s 27-2, all of a sudden he’s a bum. Embarrassing for the fan base. This is why I stick to the recruiting board

Quote Originally Posted by GUZag08 View Post
    Wow just read this thread. After one loss everyone turns on Petrusev, calling him soft and untalented. Leading scorer on a team that’s 27-2, all of a sudden he’s a bum. Embarrassing for the fan base. This is why I stick to the recruiting board
    Soft has been a meme all year. His defense has been questioned all year. Nobody questions his ability to score. Nobody questions his heart. Nobody questions his potential to get better at all of those things.

This

Wow just read this thread. After one loss everyone turns on Petrusev, calling him soft and untalented. Leading scorer on a team thatís 27-2, all of a sudden heís a bum. Embarrassing for the fan base. This is why I stick to the recruiting board
    I mean our 2 best players are finesse bigs. We are pretty damn soft. Michigans front court is slightly above average and took a dump on us. Some fans are rah rah all the time and some are fine being critical. Different strokes.

Plus we just let 30 year old bald dudes punch us in the back with no retaliation S O F T

Quote Originally Posted by JAGzag View Post
    Kid literally complains with every call. Itís like watching Ammo without the talent.
    Yeah, a kid who averages 17 and 8 is lacking talent. SMDH. Not saying he is perfect nor am I saying he doesn't have things to work on. But to say he doesn't have talent borders on silly at best.
    "And Morrison? He did what All-Americans do. He shot daggers in the daylight and stole a win." - Steve Kelley (Seattle Times)

"Gonzaga is a special place, with special people!" - Dan Dickau #21

Foo me once shame on you, Foo me twice shame on me.

2012 Foostrodamus - Foothsayer of Death