Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Petrusev Discussion Thread: Post BYU Game

Quote Originally Posted by JPtheBeasta View Post
    Petrusev was ineffective in both Zag losses. This team will probably go as far as he allows them to go. He needs to find a way to be stronger with the ball and be mentally tougher, in my opinion.
    This. Far more important than whining about the ref.

Quote Originally Posted by upan8th View Post
    Let it go, boys. It's over. Think something, anything, is going to happen to Haws, to the refs, to the final score, you ain't thinkin' right. And that's a fact, Jack.
    Unless, of course, next time he gets a broken collarbone.
    It's not funny.

Quote Originally Posted by JPtheBeasta View Post
    Petrusev was ineffective in both Zag losses. This team will probably go as far as he allows them to go. He needs to find a way to be stronger with the ball and be mentally tougher, in my opinion.
    Totally agree. I believe Petrusev is the leading scorer on the team(?) - I was too lazy to check. But he is often very weak with the ball and misses more bunnies than any guy with his size and athleticism ever should. I believe he also clocked only two rebounds tonight. All too often his head leaves the game. I think Few may have been a little ticked with him and he deserved to ride the pine down the stretch.

Petro is a bit overdramatic and doesn't have any if at all mental toughness. Plus his defense tonight was absolutely terrible.

Quote Originally Posted by Plainsman View Post
    Totally agree. I believe Petrusev is the leading scorer on the team(?) - I was too lazy to check. But he is often very weak with the ball and misses more bunnies than any guy with his size and athleticism ever should. I believe he also clocked only two rebounds tonight. All too often his head leaves the game. I think Few may have been a little ticked with him and he deserved to ride the pine down the stretch.
    He has to be much stronger with the ball. Agree, he misses so many bunnies with very little contact. He’s like watching an NBA player...constantly griping about something. Is it me or does it seem like he’s hearing a bit too much about his draft stock? I’d sure like to see him kick the ball out a bit more, even if it’s just to reset himself better on the block.

Petro is a big guy. Needs to finish strong. He didn’t show up tonight and let the opposing team get into his head. Hopefully riding the pine sent a message to him that he can take and move on from in a positive way. We can’t afford for him to choke in big time environments like this. He is big key to our success.

Quote Originally Posted by Ladyzag12 View Post
    Petro is a bit overdramatic and doesn't have any if at all mental toughness. Plus his defense tonight was absolutely terrible.
    I agree..hands of stone. I thought he might be thinking of the NBA. Not now though. Just had a horrible game. Needs work around the hoop, defense and especially toughness. Sad to see.........

I really don’t know why any of this is a big surprise to anyone. Petrusev has been a pedestrian big all year even with the points per game he acquires and the rest of the team is not that far off from the same issue. We play anybody worth a lick this time of year, we lose, but since we don’t, and other teams do and sometimes lose, we climb and stay high in the rankings. NCAAs are going to spur more #####ing and moaning from people not expecting us to be done by the second weekend.

Oh and the refs were criminally crappy tonight, and BYU plays a horrible style of basketball, but gu’s game plan and the players inability to play lost that game.

Quote Originally Posted by JAGzag View Post
    Kid literally complains with every call. It’s like watching Ammo without the talent.
    Go away

This fan base and the Johnny come lately’s who crap on these players after one conference loss are annoying. Go watch another sport, you aren’t true fans of this team or this program if you can’t accept a loss without being absolutely ridiculous calling these young guys who pour their hearts and souls into this program. Give your head a shake, grow up, and be thankful these talented young men pull on these jerseys to entertain us every week.

Quote Originally Posted by Kong-Kool-Aid View Post
    This fan base and the Johnny come lately’s who crap on these players after one conference loss are annoying. Go watch another sport, you aren’t true fans of this team or this program if you can’t accept a loss without being absolutely ridiculous calling these young guys who pour their hearts and souls into this program. Give your head a shake, grow up, and be thankful these talented young men pull on these jerseys to entertain us every week.

FTFY - wouldn't want anyone taking this literally and running with it...

That was a garbage play. Dirty. Absolutely no other way to view it and how the refs waived it off is shocking. If Hawes pulled that crap on a playground he would have had his ass handed to him.

I was hoping the dirtbag cheapshot basketball would have left with rose. Guess not.

Kong. Just a bad game. Nobody looked good. This time of the year they should look amazing but not tonight and not the other night with USF. It’s kinda scary to think we could be ending the season soon. It does for me anyway. I believe we have a title team if we play to potential. Past 2 games. Not so. Are we melting?? No but we do need to really toughen up and go hard at the remaining opponents. It’s nothing personal against the kids. Just disappointment. Few will get the kids ready.
    We lost a one seed tonight and a chance to be number one in the polls. It’s not life and death but some hopes vanished tonight. We may get back but the hill got steeper tonight.

Quote Originally Posted by MDABE80 View Post
    Hoops is correct. Haws should have been ejected. All ingredients were there. Wworse though, their coach let it go which set the stage for continued abuse. I do hope we find BYU in the WCC tournament. We still have 2 more games to win. This game sucked from the opening bell.......every aspect. We played horrible defense but the refs let them get way with all kinds of crap on defense and on offense. We'll get em in Las Vegas. I hope the commissioner call s those refs into the office Monday.
    Monday is 18 holes of golf followed by lunch and drinks. Tuesday isn't looking too good either.
    "Those who believe in telekinetics, raise my hand."
    —Kurt Vonnegut

Am I the only one who noticed a BYU player (can't remember who) literally bear hugging Petrusev in the first 4 minutes or so of the game? Must have been hallucinating. But hey, if Haws can get away with what would be considered assault in any courtroom, then certainly the refs had no impact on the game whatsoever.

Quote Originally Posted by zagamatic View Post
    Am I the only one who noticed a BYU player (can't remember who) literally bear hugging Petrusev in the first 4 minutes or so of the game? Must have been hallucinating. But hey, if Haws can get away with what would be considered assault in any courtroom, then certainly the refs had no impact on the game whatsoever.
    Play the hand that is dealt. Sometimes it means playing 5 v. 8, sometimes it is 8 v. 5.

Learn & improve. IMO

Their coach let them do their physical crap. He , likewise didn't stop the nasty bullchix. No no..this was their plan and they did it bumper to bumber just like in the older days when Rose brought in the football players to rough up the games with us. It's unforgivable. No whining.but we'll get them later on. I just hope the commissioner understands the implications of what she saw. If I was her, I'd have Pope in my office Monday allong with those refs who mostly just watched in a "no call" "let em play" game. BYU might be giggling over it but she shouldn't be. Filip was damaged.... and it could have been worse.

Quote Originally Posted by john montana View Post
    That was a garbage play. Dirty. Absolutely no other way to view it and how the refs waived it off is shocking. If Hawes pulled that crap on a playground he would have had his ass handed to him.

I was hoping the dirtbag cheapshot basketball would have left with rose. Guess not.
    Actually, I was wondering if the new head coach wasn’t also responsible for this as Rose’s assistant. The last couple of years playing BYU weren’t really bad, they bring this guy back, give him Rose’s job and we are right back to cheap shots. The thing that bothers me is the fact that the refs chose to ignore it, then when the coach was acting like a crybaby, the refs ignored that, and later when trash was thrown on the court by the fans, the refs basically ignored that too. The officials stunk and while I think BYU showed their ass, the officials let them do it. Just hope no one brought home any injuries.

Wish this board was as gracious in defeat as the GU coaches and players. Read their comments. We can do better fellas.

Only If we hit 4 or 5 of those Wide Opened 3 pt shots....

Quote Originally Posted by ZagMan in Philly View Post
    Only If we hit 4 or 5 of those Wide Opened 3 pt shots....
    Rewatched part of the second half. Gilder and Kispert were on line with their shots but missed short or long multiple times. Some of the missed threes did still end up as buckets because of Timme’s efforts on the glass— without him the Zags would never have been close

For the guys, it's all about getting better as the season goes on and being as prepped as possible for the Dance. With that in mind, I think that most, if not all, the comments regarding Filip's play lately should be taken as that and nothing more. I agree that his next step in developing his game for the next level is to get comfortable finishing through contact. He just doesn't seem to be comfortable with that yet. Bad handles, missed bunnies, very few "and 1" opportunities, those are facts, not just observations or personal criticisms. Another fact is that Filip is still just a sophomore, still gaining strength and growing into his body (remember Kelly Olynyk as a sophomore??). He will be OK, will get better. Also a fact is that with the exception of BYU, no team in the WCC plays as physically in the paint or has the big bodies to do it, so Filip doesn't get the daily banging that bigs in the P5 conferences get.

Filip will be fine, the guys will be fine. Last night they got a reminder of what the 2nd weekend and beyond is like in the Dance, with the addition of the Provo home court advantage. They need to adjust as they leave WCC play and prep for the Dance.............they will, Coach Few will make sure of it!! They do it every year, no reason to think this year is any different.

As a side comment, I HATE BYU more than any other program in the country. They're dirty, cheap shot artists masquerading as clean cut, wholesome student athletes...... And those are just the fans. Also, the players are openly encouraged to do it by the coaching staff. Hope we get them again in the conference Tourney finals, in Vegas.

Blaming the officials is the refuge of the weak. We're better than that.................

Go ZAGS

Quote Originally Posted by ZagsObserver View Post
    Wish this board was as gracious in defeat as the GU coaches and players. Read their comments. We can do better fellas.
    You mean you wish everyone else like the team took a fat punch in the mouth (or back from Haws) that was very personal and did nothing to respond? I guess that's why we play so soft.

Zags were outplayed. Tip your cap and move on to the next game. At least this time of year there is a next game !

Quote Originally Posted by Saxon_zag View Post
    You mean you wish everyone else like the team took a fat punch in the mouth (or back from Haws) that was very personal and did nothing to respond? I guess that's why we play so soft.
    Yea we dont have the physical knock you down type of player. I will beg Vegas rematch vs BYU will be different tho.
    Love the zags for life