• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • upan8th
    Zag for Life
    • Feb 2007

ETCHED IN CEMENT

The score was 68-54 with fewer than 30 seconds remaining when Gonzaga took possession of the ball, and one of their guards dribbled across the time line. Giving up his dribble, he prepared, unchallenged by USF's defense, to run out the clock. Late night gamblers on the East Coast, who, despite the hour, had watched the last game to the end, could finally breathe a sigh of relief. The spread was 17. USF bettors, convinced Tilly would likely not play or see limited minutes, had taken the points and were now assured to cover. Zag bettors had already gone home to bed. The win, part of a parlay with the Pepperdine/Portand matchup, would mean only a small loss for the day. Thoughts began drifting to tomorrow's lines. Those late night/early morning West Coast games, over the years, had acquired a slew of nicknames. Among them: The Hail Mary (natch), The Thank You Jesus game, and The Holy Redeemer. Not because most of the degenerates in the illegal betting parlors were Catholics (though they had their share) but because the games often involved the parochial schools of the WCC. It was the day's last chance for many of those in the red -- living the gambler's credo, "please Lord, let me break even today ' -- to climb out from under another losing session.

The punters frowned and began shifting in their seats as the USF guards, instead of pulling out their jerseys and drifting slowly to the sidelines, began pressing, double-teaming the ball. In the gambler's den, post-game banter muted, murmurs erupted, as the ball twice was knocked out of bounds. The USF guards, with under ten-seconds left, persisted. "WTF?" Look at the scoreboard!" someone yelled. GU players seemed puzzled, then perturbed. Corey Kispert looked toward the Zag's bench. Whether he got some kind of signal from the coaches is unknown, but when Kispert mimed a shooting motion to his team mates, then repeated it to make sure everyone understood, an anguished cry of, "No!" rolled round the room.

Well, we all know what happened after that. What's unknown is what happened to those left in disbelief after the tumult of shouts and groans finally subsided. What happened to those who shouted their protests, mouthed desperate, blasphemous prayers, ("Please, God, just . . ." was all they had time for) and then watched in horror as, once again, defeat was snatched from the feckless jaws of triumph by a spiteful, vindictive, Old Testament God. So, you may well ask, was it enough to make these gents finally decide to kick the gambling habit, change their ways, and become better men?

I wouldn't bet on that.
  • 229SintoZag
    Zag for Life
    • Feb 2007

Originally posted by upan8th View Post
    The score was 68-54 with fewer than 30 seconds remaining when Gonzaga took possession of the ball, and one of their guards dribbled across the time line. Giving up his dribble, he prepared, unchallenged by USF's defense, to run out the clock. Late night gamblers on the East Coast, who, despite the hour, had watched the last game to the end, could finally breathe a sigh of relief. The spread was 17. USF bettors, convinced Tilly would likely not play or see limited minutes, had taken the points and were now assured to cover. Zag bettors had already gone home to bed. The win, part of a parlay with the Pepperdine/Portand matchup, would mean only a small loss for the day. Thoughts began drifting to tomorrow's lines. Those late night/early morning West Coast games, over the years, had acquired a slew of nicknames. Among them: The Hail Mary (natch), The Thank You Jesus game, and The Holy Redeemer. Not because most of the degenerates in the illegal betting parlors were Catholics (though they had their share) but because the games often involved the parochial schools of the WCC. It was the day's last chance for many of those in the red -- living the gambler's credo, "please Lord, let me break even today ' -- to climb out from under another losing session.

The punters frowned and began shifting in their seats as the USF guards, instead of pulling out their jerseys and drifting slowly to the sidelines, began pressing, double-teaming the ball. In the gambler's den, post-game banter muted, murmurs erupted, as the ball twice was knocked out of bounds. The USF guards, with under ten-seconds left, persisted. "WTF?" Look at the scoreboard!" someone yelled. GU players seemed puzzled, then perturbed. Corey Kispert looked toward the Zag's bench. Whether he got some kind of signal from the coaches is unknown, but when Kispert mimed a shooting motion to his team mates, then repeated it to make sure everyone understood, an anguished cry of, "No!" rolled round the room.

Well, we all know what happened after that. What's unknown is what happened to those left in disbelief after the tumult of shouts and groans finally subsided. What happened to those who shouted their protests, mouthed desperate, blasphemous prayers, ("Please, God, just . . ." was all they had time for) and then watched in horror as, once again, defeat was snatched from the feckless jaws of triumph by a spiteful, vindictive, Old Testament God. So, you may well ask, was it enough to make these gents finally decide to kick the gambling habit, change their ways, and become better men?

I wouldn't bet on that.
    Something tells me we may see Kispert's shot soon on SVP bad beats.

Comment

• vandalzag
      Zag for Life
      • Feb 2007

Outstanding.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Comment

• CB4
        Zag for Life
        • Feb 2009

Great post. There was actually about a 2 second difference between shot and game clock. Zags would have taken a shot clock violation and handed the ball over before the game ended. I hate when teams do that. Put a shot up and let the rebound run out the clock.

Comment

• MDABE80
          Zag for Life
          • Feb 2007

Excellent post upan!

Comment

• TexasZagFan
            Zag for Life
            • Feb 2007

No doubt Larry Buckman had his money on USF!

Comment

• TexasZagFan
              Zag for Life
              • Feb 2007

Originally posted by CB4 View Post
              Great post. There was actually about a 2 second difference between shot and game clock. Zags would have taken a shot clock violation and handed the ball over before the game ended. I hate when teams do that. Put a shot up and let the rebound run out the clock.

Comment

• montanazag88
                Kennel Club Alum
                • Sep 2007

Great, great post. I do wonder, had USF not taken the road of "prove yourself at the line while we risk flagrant fouls" approach, would the Zags have run the clock instead of making what appeared to be a statement..??
                montanazag88
                P....A....TIENCE!

Comment

• sittingon50
                  Zag for Life
                  • Feb 2007

Hall of Fame upan!

But we don't play nobody.

Comment

• NontradZag
                    Professional Zag Fan
                    • Apr 2008

Agree w/ 50! HoF post. Excellent

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
                    If at first you don't succeed, try to solve the situation with a spud gun. ~Dwight Schrute~

Comment

• jazzdelmar
                      Zag for Life
                      • Feb 2007

Cement shoes?

Comment

• MickMick
                        Zag for Life
                        • Apr 2007

USF pressed the issue.

Great shot.

Great post.
                        I miss Mike Hart

Comment

• All Weather Fan
                          Professional Zag Fan
                          • Mar 2015

Plus the entire arena was booing USF for pressing & trapping that last possession. Don't poke the bear !

Comment

• GoZags
                            Super Moderator
                            • Feb 2007

Nothing is in the bag until it is in the bag.
                            sigpic
                            “To be continued …”. Fr Tony Lehman, SJ
                            ——-
                            List of All Americans (1st Team Top 5) and Academic All Americans (1st Team Top 5) in the same season since '00:
                            Shane Battier, Dan Dickau, Omeka Okafor, DJ Augustin, Kelly Olynyk, Nigel Williams-Goss, Corey Kispert.

Comment

• NotoriousZ
                              Zag for Life
                              • Oct 2008

Hall of fame post for sure! Some day I will be at Ceasars Palace for March Madness. Basketball is probably the toughest sport to win money, but that’s on my bucket list. I wonder if there were any gamblers in the know who profited on those cheating Astros?
                              It's peanut butter jelly time!

Comment

Working...
                              X