Thread: Tillie Tillie Legacy

Default Tillie Tillie Legacy

I love to watch the game of basketball when it is played correctly. Being a Zag fan means being rarely disappointed while watching them play the game as a team and putting personal egos aside. That is harder to do than most people think. These kids are elite level athletes with high confidence in their individual abilities. It takes special people to play in an environment that puts personal achievements secondary to the team's goals. Killian Tillie is the epitome of a team player with extraordinary individual skills.

All of Tillie's individual skills were on display last night. He put the ball on the deck and drove strong to the basket. He connected on a three. He guarded point guards and was probably the most effective Zag at limiting penetration by small quick players. He rebounded well and he set up teammates, not only with direct assists but also with hockey assists. He does nearly everything with a high degree of efficiency. Including little things that even the so called experts miss. One example is what happens when he secures a defensive rebound. The ball is in his hands for a split second and he has already made an outlet pass to the teammate with the best chance of pushing the ball for a fast break opportunity. Watch the difference between Tillie and the other bigs in that regard. Tillies outlet pass is gone before the other bigs identify who they want to pass it to. He's a joy to watch.

Tillie is on the verge of a rarity. He's in a position to be a four year player that played in a Final Four, a Sweet Sixteen, an Elite Eight and.... There is the possibility that he would play in a Final Four in both his Freshman and Senior years while being a top of the rotation player all four years of his collegiate career. He may be the last player to be an integral part of a team's tournament success for four years in this age of going pro at the first opportunity.

Look at the teammates he has played with over the last four years. Goss, Karnowski, Matthews, Williams, Collins, Perkins, Melson, Hachimura, Norvell, Kispert, Clarke, Petrusev, Ayayi, Gilder, Woolridge, Timme. He has meshed well with all of them. Because he doesn't let his ego get in the way. He made all of those players better While on the floor with them.

Finally, and maybe most important, watch him in warmups before the games, during timeouts, in post game interviews. EVERYBODY loves being around him. Stars, walk ons, coaches, announcers, ball boys, etc. Tillie makes their day better by just being Tillie.

I'm gonna miss him.

I say Dilly Dilly Mr. Tillie. Hope he can stay healthy.

Absolutely Love Tils. He's played with more NBA Zags than anyone ever; hope he himself gets a shot. He is smooth, unselfish, unflappable. What a joy to have him for these four years. And to think there were frosh year rumors he disliked school and was about to split.

Default Tils

Quote Originally Posted by jazzdelmar View Post
    Absolutely Love Tils. He's played with more NBA Zags than anyone ever; hope he himself gets a shot. He is smooth, unselfish, unflappable. What a joy to have him for these four years. And to think there were frosh year rumors he disliked school and was about to split.
    The two free throws in Glendale to ice the win vs. South Carolina by Tils is one of my favorite memories.

Skills wise, one of the best, if not thee best, big to come through Spokane. Like the talking heads said last night..........he's like a 6'-11" point guard. Best tear drop I've seen from a big, in addition to his off the charts 3-point shooting for a guy his size.

As said earlier in this thread, just enjoy him for the rest of the year, as guys with his skill set don't come along (or stay long) every day.

Another great ZAG in the long line of great ZAGS.............

Go ZAGS

A 6'-11"guard that fits him to a Tee!......And I have a second row seat right behind the bench in the semi GO ZAGS
    Thanks Reno

This is a really great thread. Tillie came my favorite (current) Zag during his freshman year, following guys named Floyd, Bankhead, Pendergraft, Turiaf, Sacre, and Hart. We are so Blessed to have had him here for four seasons. I pray he goes out in a blaze of glory!

"To be continued ....."
    Father Tony Lehman, SJ

Quote Originally Posted by GoZags View Post
    There are 3 Zags I want to see shooting free throws at the end of a game: Killian, Corey, and Admon.

GREAT thread and great OP, thanks Mark! We'll miss him too...we were in Glendale for his FTs against S. Carolina and it seems like he's been with us for like ten years. Just a phenomenal culture carrier and all-around awesome human being.
    Your children have been placed in the custody of...Carl's Jr.

What a beautiful, really good thread, Markburn1. Thanks. I recommend it goes into archives. I hope Killian gets a chance to read it. He's definitely a special Zag, and a special human being, which you point out clearly. I love how you describe how his teammates are drawn to him. We all love smiles. Rui had one of the greatest, but I love Killian's too. It's sweet, kind of like a child. It's something I see in him. Of course I'm influenced by Texaszagfan's photos of his son with Killian. those photos should go right into archives too along with Mackburn1's description.

I said earlier in a different thread, that Killian is my Larry Bird, which is the highest compliment I could give to anyone. Larry Bird is my all-time favorite basketball player. I loved him because he was so good in every aspect of the game. I'm not sure if Killian will ever be that good, but I hope so. Killian definitely is very good in all aspects of the game. And I think like some others, that's why we rate him so high. As much as I loved Rui, I would take Killian Tillie over him. They are such different players, but Tillie can do so much more. Last night Killian really was playing like a guard. The way he was handling the ball, dribbling, attacking off the drible with spin moves, and his beautiful passes. DANG he can play. Like all of us, I too will really miss him, but I'm still happy we get so much more to see. And in my opinion we still have not seen his best. You wait and see.

Go Zags!!!
    Go Zags!!! The Best Is Yet To Come!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Reborn View Post
    I hope Killian gets a chance to read it.
    Go Zags!!!
    An effort HAS been made to get the link to his mom and dad. And to Killian.

There generally isn't a whole lot of inter-action between the Board and the guys (and their families). However, I DO smile about the occasional frantic phone call to a certain boardmember from a coaching staff member (generally an hour or so before tipoff) as Shem's parents just couldn't find the proper "fishing hole" and they wanted to watch their son play.

Edited to add: Thank goodness Karnowski graduated before the whole Facebook streaming issue developed.

"To be continued ....."
    Father Tony Lehman, SJ

Quote Originally Posted by GoZags View Post
    An effort HAS been made to get the link to his mom and dad. And to Killian.

There generally isn't a whole lot of inter-action between the Board and the guys (and their families). However, I DO smile about the occasional frantic phone call to a certain boardmember from a coaching staff member (generally an hour or so before tipoff) as Shem's parents just couldn't find the proper "fishing hole" and they wanted to watch their son play.

Edited to add: Thank goodness Karnowski graduated before the whole Facebook streaming issue developed.
    Thanks so much, Go Zags!!! You are the man who can do it too. Thanks for making me smile tonight.

Go Zags!!!
    Go Zags!!! The Best Is Yet To Come!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Reborn View Post
    What a beautiful, really good thread, Markburn1. Thanks. I recommend it goes into archives. I hope Killian gets a chance to read it. He's definitely a special Zag, and a special human being, which you point out clearly. I love how you describe how his teammates are drawn to him. We all love smiles. Rui had one of the greatest, but I love Killian's too. It's sweet, kind of like a child. It's something I see in him. Of course I'm influenced by Texaszagfan's photos of his son with Killian. those photos should go right into archives too along with Mackburn1's description.

I said earlier in a different thread, that Killian is my Larry Bird, which is the highest compliment I could give to anyone. Larry Bird is my all-time favorite basketball player. I loved him because he was so good in every aspect of the game. I'm not sure if Killian will ever be that good, but I hope so. Killian definitely is very good in all aspects of the game. And I think like some others, that's why we rate him so high. As much as I loved Rui, I would take Killian Tillie over him. They are such different players, but Tillie can do so much more. Last night Killian really was playing like a guard. The way he was handling the ball, dribbling, attacking off the drible with spin moves, and his beautiful passes. DANG he can play. Like all of us, I too will really miss him, but I'm still happy we get so much more to see. And in my opinion we still have not seen his best. You wait and see.

Go Zags!!!
    Glad I circled back to this thread!

Of course, here's my favorite...lol, especially the look at the security man's face. It didn't matter to me how much I had to grovel, I was going to get Big D a picture of him with his favorite Zag!

I think Killian got a kick out of it, too.

I suspect his volleyball experience really helps with his quick hand-eye coordination for assists and the tear-drops. Volleyball might be one of the few sports that calls for the extreme athleticism that basketball does - coordination, speed, leaping, very athletic sport.

He is the definition of a team player, always the first off the bench (when hurt) to congratulate guys or talk to the one who is down when things are going bad.

We worried there wouldn't be many upper classmen to show the young guys "the Zag way" - turns out we really only needed one (though Corey does his share, too). The guards have sure got the Zag attitude down, just having trouble all clicking at the same time.

I have to believe an NBA team will take a chance on him even with injuries. NBA teams know that Zags come in with polished skills (esp bigs), mature, work ethic, and Tillie is a "unicorn" that the NBA wants now. The 6'11-7 footers that hit 3s. As he puts on more muscle at 23-26, maybe he'll have fewer injuries.
    Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect.
    Mark Twain.

My fondest Zag memory of my one and only time seeing the team in person was last year in Tillie's return to action following a major surgery, and it was the Santa Clara blowout at home.

At one point the crowd close to the court starting standing up, many cheering, but nothing appeared to be happening. I was really confused. It eventually dawned on me that fans near the floor realized that Tillie was kneeling at the scorer's table to check in.

When Killian did check in, the entire crowd gave him a standing ovation for stepping on the court. That's happening on a team with multiple first round draft picks and a 5th year point guard who didn't garner nearly as much fan support that night.
    ---

I was traveling in europe staying in a cheap hostel during the run to the title game in Tillie's freshman year, and didn't have a way to even listen to the game. I remember being huddled beneath the covers in a bed in the middle of the night (it was probably 3am) constantly clicking "refresh" on the espn.com gamecast in GU's first ever final 4 game. The other team was shooting free throws after the GU offense had stagnated. Gonzaga wouldn't make a field goal in the final 4:49 of the game. Johnathan Williams had miraculously made both free throws to keep and GU ahead. The lead was 2, but SC's star player was shooting freethrows:

"Sindarius Thornwell made Free Throw. 73 - 75"
    click, click, click:

"Sindarius Thornwell missed Free Throw. 73 - 75" (I always wondered if this was an intentional miss)
    click, click, click:

"Killian Tillie Defensive Rebound. 73 - 75"
    click, click, click:

"Killian Tillie made Free Throw 1 of 2. 73 - 76"
    click, click, click:

"Killian Tillie made Free Throw 2 of 2. 73 - 77"

2 seconds left. The kid with the funny name did it.

Defensive rebound and ices both shots to make it a 2 possession game.

Gonzaga will be playing for the national championship.

Gonzaga is going to the national championship game.

At least since I started watching the Zags in the early ‘80s I don’t recall anyone with a healthy Tillie’s complete high level overall skill set. I look forward to following him for many years to come. Awesome talent

I didn't watch his junior year as a zag, but did Olynyk's all american Junior season appear similar to a healthy Tillie?

Quote Originally Posted by LTownZag View Post
    I didn't watch his junior year as a zag, but did Olynyk's all american Junior season appear similar to a healthy Tillie?
    Yeah, he would be the better one, if any. I’m thinking overall complete skill set

The only NBA games I even THINK of watching are those that have a former Zag playing. If Killian isn't on a team, it just reaffirms my belief that NBA basketball isn't really worth watching. Only basketball with Zags in the game...at any level.
    Hoping you have a sense of humor too!

Reborn, I like the Larry Bird comparison. Doubt Tille could match Larry in trash talking though :-). And really, I like him better because he couldn't!

Thursday night near the end of the game and Kills is called for his 5th foul. What’s he doing? Grinning and standing at the key. He wasn’t leaving until the ref said he had to go!
    http://www.fowlplaces.com/zags/GoZagsTinySignGuyGlassesColor.png