Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: What are you reading?

Quote Originally Posted by gozagswoohoo View Post
    Looking for an interesting autobiography. Any recommendations? Preferably an athlete, or maybe just some controversial person. Lol

Mike Tyson comes to mind. Wonder if he has one?
    Tyson does have one. "Undisputed Truth". A great read. Have much more respect for Tyson after reading this.

Quote Originally Posted by katman50 View Post
    Tyson does have one. "Undisputed Truth". A great read. Have much more respect for Tyson after reading this.
    I'm two chapters in!

Wow....can not even FATHOM having a childhood like his. Good GRIEF.
    Allow myself to introduce....myself...

Quote Originally Posted by gozagswoohoo View Post
    Looking for an interesting autobiography. Any recommendations? Preferably an athlete, or maybe just some controversial person. Lol

Mike Tyson comes to mind. Wonder if he has one?
    I’m reading Mark Titus’s memoir from his days as a walk-on with THE Ohio State University basketball team. It’s light-hearted stuff to pass the time. I’m enjoying it.

Gonzaga has defeated Baylor, Illinois, Virginia, Duke, North Carolina, Kansas, UCLA, Arizona, Creighton, Oklahoma, Florida State, Texas A&M, Oregon, Iowa, West Virginia, Auburn, USC, and Washington over just the past three seasons.

Quote Originally Posted by katman50 View Post
    Same here. A very honest book. Mike doesn't sugar coat it. He was never the same after the death of Cus. My respect of Mike went up big time after reading this great book.

Sorry to post twice. I was confused!

"And Morrison? He did what All-Americans do. He shot daggers in the daylight and stole a win." - Steve Kelley (Seattle Times)

"Gonzaga is a special place, with special people!" - Dan Dickau #21

Foo me once shame on you, Foo me twice shame on me.

2012 Foostrodamus - Foothsayer of Death

I'm currently listening to audiobooks.

Martin Short's memoir (read by him so it's highly entertaining) "I Must Say."

And "1776" by David McCullough (also read by the author. So if you liked the narrator in Ken Burns' "The Civil War" you should listen to it

In 2011, Ross Ulbricht, a 26-year-old libertarian idealist and former Boy Scout, launched "a website where people could buy anything anonymously, with no trail whatsoever that could lead back to them." He called it Silk Road, opened for business on the Dark Web, and christened himself the Dread Pirate Roberts (after the Princess Bride character). The site grew at a tremendous pace, quickly becoming a $1.2 billion enterprise where you could buy or sell drugs, hacking software, forged passports, counterfeit cash, guns, grenades, and poisons.

Finished "1776" this morning so I started listening to this book about John Adams defense of the soldiers in the Boston Massacre.

I've been doing a ton of work on our back porch (mostly painting, but also had to do some insulating, caulking and patching cement) this past week so I'm going through audiobooks at lightening speed. Hopefully in the next few days it'll be done to the point where I can just sit on the back porch and listen to them while the kids play! ...nah, I'll probably find another project

A 1994 Sports Illustrated anthology of the magazine's best writing on golf.

Part of a Craig's List purchase of coffee table sized books and other titles related to the game. Next up: "The Bogey Man" by George Plimpton.

A Gambling Man by David Baldacci, large print version.
    I'm laughing. Why aren't you?

Among a few others..." Radicals " by Saul Alinsky.....The handbook on community organizing ....

The Gulag Archipelago by Solzhenitsyn. Haven’t read it in over forty years. Powerful stuff.

I just started "The Catcher Was a Spy" by Nicholas Dawidoff, it's non fiction about a multi lingual pro baseball player who worked for the US as a spy during WWII (and from the little I read so far it seems like most likely before the war as well). I may have posted awhile ago that I watched the movie with Paul Rudd and thought it was an interesting subject so I thought I'd read the book it was based on.

Quote Originally Posted by Jazzgirl_127 View Post
    I just started "The Catcher Was a Spy" by Nicholas Dawidoff, it's non fiction about a multi lingual pro baseball player who worked for the US as a spy during WWII (and from the little I read so far it seems like most likely before the war as well). I may have posted awhile ago that I watched the movie with Paul Rudd and thought it was an interesting subject so I thought I'd read the book it was based on.
    I saw the movie and enjoyed it.

I'm reading "The Little Shop of Found Things" by Paula Brackston

A young English woman has a 'gift' that enables her to connect with inanimate objects and 'learn' the story behind them.

She is drawn to one, and it takes her back 300+ years, in time, to try and right an injustice, with her infirm mothers life being threatened by a vengeful ghost, if she isn't able to help the daughter of the ghost in 1605.

Quote Originally Posted by willandi View Post

A young English woman has a 'gift' that enables her to connect with inanimate objects and 'learn' the story behind them.

She is drawn to one, and it takes her back 300+ years, in time, to try and right an injustice, with her infirm mothers life being threatened by a vengeful ghost, if she isn't able to help the daughter of the ghost in 1605.
    Next up are a couple of the Mary Russell/Sherlock Holmes books by Laurie R King. She is a great writer that adds an interesting twist to the Sherlock story.

Start with "The Bee Keepers Apprentice".

" Radicals " by Saul Alinsky......the fart-in at the Rochester Symphony was brilliant.....the man has no conscience .....

Quote Originally Posted by willandi View Post

The scene in the movie where he took film footage of the Japanese Naval Yard was pretty accurate, right down to ditching the bouquet. Although it sounds like the US government was definitely in on it (the movie makes it seem like he thought it would just be helpful in the future and acted on his own accord), his cover for going to the hospital was to visit the US ambassador's daughter...which honestly sounds like he was very specifically told to go there for the purpose of getting the footage. He apparently was also arrested (multiple times) in Russia for taking film footage pre WWII. It would be an interesting story if it was just about a ballplayer who spoke a dozen languages and got a law degree...but then there's also the Heisenberg's would- be- assassin and spy angle thrown in that made me want to read more about the guy.

It just really makes you wonder too how many other high profile celebrities were doing missions like this. Alice Marble was a tennis player and a contemporary of Berg's and she was apparently doing her own spy missions against the Nazis, I need to see if I can find a good bio on her. I read an audiobook a few weeks ago where the author thought Houdini was doing some spying/recon as well. I think it was the predecessor to the CIA whose head guy was pretty close to him through a magician association. Other countries would just let Houdini into their high tech jail cells to see if he could escape and he got an insider look at things they weren't necessarily putting out in the open for other countries to see. I guess they naively never thought he'd tell anyone else about whatever he saw/heard lol.

Just finished Billy Summers by Stephen King. Next Up: The Overstory by Richard Powers.

Obama...." A Promised Land ".

American Traitor...a spy thriller/action book by Brad Taylor.

Pretty good so far, but just 24% of the way in. A Chinese American genius software programmer has his family used to force him to corrupt the software of the latest US fighter jet, on that uses computers to alert the pilot to everything.

The Terminal List by Jack Carr. The book was recommended by a friend. Not really my cup of tea but I finish every book I start.

Sent from my SM-G981V using Tapatalk
    You can't make a half sandwich. If it's not half of a whole sandwich, it's just a small sandwich.

So I randomly stumbled across a new-to-me author, Blake Crouch.

Oh.....my......GAWSH. This guy can write a book!!!! Read these first two, Run and Dark Matter, in record time for me (I am a really slow reader, but knocked these two out in about 10 days). From start to finish, they were NON....STOP. Love love love. Just learned that Dark Matter is going being developed into a 10-episode tv series. That will be unreal.

Anyway, I'm 1/4 way into Pines. Already amazing. It's also a trilogy, so I'm excited about that.

Allow myself to introduce....myself...

Quote Originally Posted by Zagceo View Post
    Oh. A history book! LOL