Results 1 to 12 of 12

Thread: What are you reading?

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    St. Clair, MO
    Posts
    9,371

    Default What are you reading?

    I couldn't find the book thread that I know exists...?



    FILL THIS SURVEY OUT-



    What are you currently reading?
    What is the best book you've ever read?
    Recommend a book-
    What is your social security number?
    Allow myself to introduce....myself...

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    St. Clair, MO
    Posts
    9,371

    Default

    What are you currently reading? The Sphere by Michael Crichton
    What is the best book you've ever read? 11/22/1963
    Recommend a book- Breach by Patrick Lee
    What is your social security number? 867-53-0999
    Allow myself to introduce....myself...

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Colville, Wa.
    Posts
    14,432

    Default

    I'm reading this forum.

    Was that a trick question?
    This post is for March Madness seeding purposes only.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Oct 2015
    Posts
    1,296

    Default

    I just read two books.

    "Dark Matter" It's an interesting fictional exploration of a multiverse. Have you ever wondered what might have been had you made a different choice sometime in your life? What if you could explore how different your life would have turned out if you had just done something a little different. Fascinating.

    "Station Eleven" An interesting twist on the epidemic wipeout of the human race and what happens afterward. The difference is the writer switches back and forth between the before and after developing characters that had an impact on both sides of the disaster and also on characters that exist only in the before or only in the after.

    Too many good books to choose a "best". One that has stayed with me over the years is "The Robe" by Lloyd C. Douglas

    Jenny apparently has no fear of divulging her number on this forum. Although, it was probably hacked from the bathroom wall.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Just north of I-80
    Posts
    47,297

    Default

    Reading: "Blowout" and the daily papers. New issue of The Atlantic came a few days ago so I'll tackle that this weekend

    Best I Ever Read: Non-Fiction: Seabiscuit . Fiction: The Great Gatsby

    Recommend: "Unbroken" by Laura Hillenbrand

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Posts
    10,093

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Markburn1 View Post
    I just read two books.

    "Dark Matter" It's an interesting fictional exploration of a multiverse. Have you ever wondered what might have been had you made a different choice sometime in your life? What if you could explore how different your life would have turned out if you had just done something a little different. Fascinating.

    "Station Eleven" An interesting twist on the epidemic wipeout of the human race and what happens afterward. The difference is the writer switches back and forth between the before and after developing characters that had an impact on both sides of the disaster and also on characters that exist only in the before or only in the after.

    Too many good books to choose a "best". One that has stayed with me over the years is "The Robe" by Lloyd C. Douglas

    Jenny apparently has no fear of divulging her number on this forum. Although, it was probably hacked from the bathroom wall.
    Agree, I can't do "favorite" or "best" on pretty much any topic anymore. Too many good options.

    I liked "Dark Matter." Check out "Recursion" by the same author.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Just north of I-80
    Posts
    47,297

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by gozagswoohoo View Post
    I couldn't find the book thread that I know exists...?
    WooHoo, I think the book discussion thread was on the OCC. . .IIRC, former1dog was the OP instigator.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    St. Clair, MO
    Posts
    9,371

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by RenoZag View Post
    WooHoo, I think the book discussion thread was on the OCC. . .IIRC, former1dog was the OP instigator.
    Ah, yes, that sounds familiar.


    And Dark Matter, and Recursion. I'll check those out too.
    Allow myself to introduce....myself...

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Western Washington
    Posts
    16,344

    Default

    What are you currently reading? Blowout by Rachel Maddow
    What is the best book you've ever read? Into the Wild by Jon Krakauer
    Recommend a book- No shortcuts to the top by Ed Viesturs
    Next Book? The Bear by Andrew Krivak
    Bring back the OCC

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
    Posts
    1,497

    Default

    I'm listening to "Radium Girls" audiobook (our library lets us borrow over Hoopla which is really convenient right now). It's about women in the 1920s who worked at watch factories painting the glow in the dark dials on watches (and aircraft mechanisms). They needed to paint fine details so they would put the tip of the paintbrush in their mouth to get a finer points, and obviously this lead to Radium poisoning. It's pretty horrific the way their illnesses are described. I'm about 3 hours in and have another 12 to listen to. It's really interesting though now that doctors/dentists are starting to see a pattern as more cases emerge, kind of like a detective novel rather than a history book at this point.

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Posts
    18,287

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Jazzgirl_127 View Post
    I'm listening to "Radium Girls" audiobook (our library lets us borrow over Hoopla which is really convenient right now). It's about women in the 1920s who worked at watch factories painting the glow in the dark dials on watches (and aircraft mechanisms). They needed to paint fine details so they would put the tip of the paintbrush in their mouth to get a finer points, and obviously this lead to Radium poisoning. It's pretty horrific the way their illnesses are described. I'm about 3 hours in and have another 12 to listen to. It's really interesting though now that doctors/dentists are starting to see a pattern as more cases emerge, kind of like a detective novel rather than a history book at this point.
    That sounds fascinating. Honestly.

    Most people know I'm more on the other side of the "reading" thing, so I actually don't even have anything, which is probably ironic. It's no longer any secret, so if someone here wants the first novel in my series PM me and I'll get you one you don't have to pay for - least I can do.


    Meanwhile, I don't even "read" much. The most I can do is "listen" as I'm going to sleep - and I love it.

    The Royal Institution, the science foundation in London that is near 200 years old, has a public lecture series on the net. These public lectures have been going in the SAME LECTURE ROOM since Fereday dazzled his audience with electricity and magnets.

    This is a great example, but you can just hit the RI channel and choose from about 100. I marvel at the power of the net. From my hut in the middle of the steamy south, I can listen to 6 years worth of lectures given in the most hallowed halls of science. That is almost jaw-dropping in the power of it. I'm a nobody, and yet I've been able to "sit" in that lecture hall for years, amazing.


    Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect.
    Mark Twain.

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Just north of I-80
    Posts
    47,297

    Default

    Just finished the April 2020 issue of The Atlantic. Current nightstand book is Blowout. Not sure what's next. I have 8 or 10 unread McSweeney's awaiting in the bookcase.

    The daily newspaper diet remains the same: NYT, WaPo, Reno local fishwrap.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •