X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Pallet
    Zag for Life
    • Feb 2007

Just ordered "The Three Body Problem" by Cixin Liu. I've heard it's really good so am pretty excited.

Comment

• willandi
      Zag for Life
      • Nov 2007

Originally posted by kitzbuel View Post
      Unfortunately my reading has slacked off a lot. I was riding the Metro into work so that was giving me 45 minutes of reading time each way. I was going through the Bernard Cornwall Sharpe series about a British soldier in the Napoleonic period. I also read his Last Kingdom series which is being made into a popular series on Netflix.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
      I really enjoyed both those series. Some of his single books are good to...The Gallows Thief (from memory).
      Patricia Cornwell and her Forensic Pathologist series has been excellent, in a not so coppish cop book way. She just started a new series and the first book was goo.

Sorry that I forget names etc.

Reading No Man's Land by Baldacci, another in a series by an author with several great series.

The Atlee Pine and Amos Decker, plus the Camel Club (series) are all worth a read.
      Not even a smile? What's your problem!

Comment

• willandi
        Zag for Life
        • Nov 2007

For those that like the SciFi genre...take Dixie up on his offer of HIS book.

Support a GU fan and author.
        Not even a smile? What's your problem!

Comment

• RenoZag
          Super Moderator
          • Feb 2007

"Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas."
          The GUB Resource Library: Links to: Stats, Blogs, Brackets, & More. . .

“They go to school. They do their homework. They shake hands. They say please and thank you. But once you throw that ball up, they will rip your heart out and watch you bleed.” -- Jay Bilas

Comment

• gozagswoohoo
            Time Zone Challenged Board Greeter
            • Feb 2007

Looking for an interesting autobiography. Any recommendations? Preferably an athlete, or maybe just some controversial person. Lol

Mike Tyson comes to mind. Wonder if he has one?
            Allow myself to introduce....myself...

Comment

• Jazzgirl_127
              Zag for Life
              • Mar 2007

Originally posted by DixieZag View Post
              That sounds fascinating. Honestly.

Most people know I'm more on the other side of the "reading" thing, so I actually don't even have anything, which is probably ironic. It's no longer any secret, so if someone here wants the first novel in my series PM me and I'll get you one you don't have to pay for - least I can do.

Meanwhile, I don't even "read" much. The most I can do is "listen" as I'm going to sleep - and I love it.

The Royal Institution, the science foundation in London that is near 200 years old, has a public lecture series on the net. These public lectures have been going in the SAME LECTURE ROOM since Fereday dazzled his audience with electricity and magnets.

This is a great example, but you can just hit the RI channel and choose from about 100. I marvel at the power of the net. From my hut in the middle of the steamy south, I can listen to 6 years worth of lectures given in the most hallowed halls of science. That is almost jaw-dropping in the power of it. I'm a nobody, and yet I've been able to "sit" in that lecture hall for years, amazing.

I'm a little over halfway through. I would definitely recommend it (there's a play as well, I haven't seen it, but it's been popular for some of our high schools to put on the past few years).
              They're going through the trial and the lawyers' questioning. It's an interesting mix of genres put together in a non-fiction book where the truth is just as scary as fiction!

Comment

• RenoZag
                Super Moderator
                • Feb 2007

James Dodson's Ben Hogan: An American Life was a wonderful biography

Water Cronkite's A Reporter's Life was a terrific autobiography.

Bruce Springsteen's autobiography, Born To Run, was enjoyable.
                The GUB Resource Library: Links to: Stats, Blogs, Brackets, & More. . .

“They go to school. They do their homework. They shake hands. They say please and thank you. But once you throw that ball up, they will rip your heart out and watch you bleed.” -- Jay Bilas

Comment

• gozagswoohoo
                  • Feb 2007

Originally posted by RenoZag View Post
                  James Dodson's Ben Hogan: An American Life was a wonderful biography

Water Cronkite's A Reporter's Life was a terrific autobiography.

Bruce Springsteen's autobiography, Born To Run, was enjoyable.
                  Thank you. Walter Cronkite's jumps out at me initially here. I'll check that out.

Comment

• Radbooks
                    Zag for Life
                    • Jun 2007

Originally posted by gozagswoohoo View Post
                    Thank you. Walter Cronkite's jumps out at me initially here. I'll check that out.
                    Try Educated by Westover. One of my favorite non-fiction reads. I couldn't put it down!
                    “When I get a little money I buy books; and if any is left I buy food and clothes.”

~ Desiderius Erasmus

Comment

• gozagswoohoo
                      • Feb 2007

Originally posted by Radbooks View Post
                      Try Educated by Westover. One of my favorite non-fiction reads. I couldn't put it down!
                      I'll put it on my list! thanks

Comment

• katman50
                        Zag for Life
                        • Feb 2007

Looking for an interesting autobiography. Any recommendations? Preferably an athlete, or maybe just some controversial person. Lol

Tyson does have one. "Undisputed Truth". A great read. Have much more respect for Tyson after reading this.

Comment

• gozagswoohoo
                          • Feb 2007

Originally posted by katman50 View Post
                          Tyson does have one. "Undisputed Truth". A great read. Have much more respect for Tyson after reading this.
                          I'm two chapters in!

Wow....can not even FATHOM having a childhood like his. Good GRIEF.

Comment

• Martin Centre Mad Man
                            Administrator
                            • Apr 2009

I’m reading Mark Titus’s memoir from his days as a walk-on with THE Ohio State University basketball team. It’s light-hearted stuff to pass the time. I’m enjoying it.

“No team in the country has a better winning percentage against power conference teams since 2017 than Gonzaga... the Zags are playing above average teams in the best leagues in the country and winning 78% of the time.”

-Ken Pomeroy-

https://www.ksl.com/article/50342950...in-perspective

Comment

• katman50
                              Zag for Life
                              • Feb 2007

Originally posted by katman50 View Post
                              Same here. A very honest book. Mike doesn't sugar coat it. He was never the same after the death of Cus. My respect of Mike went up big time after reading this great book.

Comment

• katman50
                                Zag for Life
                                • Feb 2007

Sorry to post twice. I was confused!

Comment

Working...
                                X