Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: GU vs BYU (Provo edition) - Predictions/Thoughts/What you do hope to see

Barn burner... I think the Zags D will be the difference....

Zags 94
    BYU 86
    "And Morrison? He did what All-Americans do. He shot daggers in the daylight and stole a win." - Steve Kelley (Seattle Times)

"Gonzaga is a special place, with special people!" - Dan Dickau #21

Foo me once shame on you, Foo me twice shame on me.

2012 Foostrodamus - Foothsayer of Death

A grinder I'm sure, but if the Zags play D from the start, we'll be fine...

Zags 89
    Cougars 75

Go Zags - Beat the Cougars!!
    “The true measure of a Jesuit education,” said former Superior General Peter-Hans Kolvenbach, “is not what our students do, but who they become.”

Zags 92-78...

Go!! Zags!!!
    "Learn from the past, Plan for the future, Live in the Now!"

Hope you're right on, blah.
    This post is for March Madness seeding purposes only.

I'm expecting a faster paced game, with the Zags winning by 10, 95-85.

Mike Pope is amped.

https://youtu.be/WBD-SmYNNs0

Defense...….always defense. Wins championships. We control them with harsh defense and we win. Especially later in the season when the other teams have had a long season to get better on offense. We were stopped in our tracks last night. Much of our offense was due to the slappy aggressive defense put up by USF. Some was our own errors @nd half it all changed with 49 pts. We need a whole game like that but without the mistakes and we do need to hit the boards ( we lost the boards last night). TO's were also a mess. I think, if we get back to defense ( we did in the 2nd half last night......allowing only 30 or so pts) we can run the table even if Killian is only part time.....best if he's full time..

The one thing about last night in the first half was this: Everything ( all facets of the game) and every player......were goofy ALL at the same time. What are the odds?? lol We just cannot have that happen the rest of the way in.

Quote Originally Posted by MDABE80 View Post
    Defense...….always defense. Wins championships. We control them with harsh defense and we win. Especially later in the season when the other teams have had a long season to get better on offense. We were stopped in our tracks last night. Much of our offense was due to the slappy aggressive defense put up by USF. Some was our own errors @nd half it all changed with 49 pts. We need a whole game like that but without the mistakes and we do need to hit the boards ( we lost the boards last night). TO's were also a mess. I think, if we get back to defense ( we did in the 2nd half last night......allowing only 30 or so pts) we can run the table even if Killian is only part time.....best if he's full time..

The one thing about last night in the first half was this: Everything ( all facets of the game) and every player......were goofy ALL at the same time. What are the odds?? lol We just cannot have that happen the rest of the way in.
    1. We did not lose the rebounding battle (did first half, did not second half and did not for entire game)
    2. 8 turnovers first half. 6 second half

First half defense was decent only giving up 31 points. Second half first ten minutes was unreal
    Basketball...The Toy Department of Life

Don't mess wth happy...Coach Few

GU 84
    BYU 75
    The world is a magical place full of people waiting to be offended by something.

Quote Originally Posted by Section 116 View Post
    Real good article. I can only imagine how BYU players feel, especially the seniors. It's too bad they have to play Gonzaga on Senor Night. But it was their decision. I know exactly how our boys are feeling right now. Lickin their chops. It's not going to hurt our feelings when we ruin senior night for them.

Go Zags!!!
    Go Zags!!! The Best Is Yet To Come!!!

Quote Originally Posted by johno View Post
    Spokane is about 1850, so not that great a jump in elevation.
    2230 is the correct elevation of Spokane

Quote Originally Posted by Hoopaholic View Post
    1. We did not lose the rebounding battle (did first half, did not second half and did not for entire game)
    2. 8 turnovers first half. 6 second half

First half defense was decent only giving up 31 points. Second half first ten minutes was unreal
    Last night ESPN had us losing the boards first half and for the game. I comment d a. It would. Good fait. Since the. ESPN gave us the boards by 3 for the game. And if you only look at a score as a recletof defense effectiveness. That’s quite limit d . We stunk on defense the first half . USF shot like crap whether wide open or not. The video is quite clear on this as is the defensive data from the first half. Thanks for the correction ! Lol

To each his own though. It’s not worth an argument. Best wishes Hoops!
    Last edited by MDABE80; 02-21-2020 at 05:33 PM.

Last night ESPN had us losing the boards first half and for the game. I comment d a. It would. Good fait. Since the. ESPN gave us the boards by 3 for the game. And if you only look at a score as a recletof defense effectiveness. That’s quite limit d . We stunk on defense the first half . USF shot like crap whether wide open or not. The video is quite clear on this as is the defensive data from the first half. Thanks for the correction ! Lol

To each his own though. It’s not worth an argument. Best wishes Hoops!
    BTW Pomeroy has us at 26 on defence...improving every game!

Quote Originally Posted by Hoopaholic View Post
    So you're disagreeing with Abe that it's "always defense that is the key" - in that we played pretty good D in the first half (I suspect you're right, 31 pts isn't much at all), but were still down by 9.

Abe is right, having an elite defense is generally the best attribute in the post season …

Unless you shoot 66% from 3 and 75% from the floor generally. In that case, your best defense is the Adam Mo defense, "Score 10 more points than that other team."

It's been proven, there's a direct correlation between scoring 10 more pts than the other team and winning. So, offense does come into play.
    Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect.
    Mark Twain.

GU 77
    BYU 85

Who knew Zag centers are forbidden to take uncontested, ten-foot jump shots. Not me, nor, apparently many others before Pets & Drew had the shower curtain yanked open on them by USF. And, as we all know by now, a floater, leaner, or runner, is not to be confused with a high-percentage jump shot. They could have taken two handed set shots all night last night, or Rick Barry underhanded free throws, and shot a better percentage. Wonder if that gets fixed by tomorrow? If not, to quote our beloved board patriarch, WE'RE DOOMED!! Back later with (my) numbers. The Books' numbers are Zags -4 (down from 4 1/2). O/U 157-58, plunging from opening at 162. Most rating services predicting Zag's chances of winning are in the 65-67% range.

i notice i am usually mid stream with the rest of the predicctions here, but in the case I will stick my neck out a little,
    GU 101
    BYU 81

Dixie: "It's been proven, there's a direct correlation between scoring 10 more pts than the other team and winning. So, offense does come into play."

I think the correlation this year is that outscoring your opponents by 30 drops you in the national rankings. Hope we test that theorem again tomorrow night

I wonder what the elevation difference between the plateau and downtown?
    say, between Garland and downtown,
    or 37th on the south hill and downtown?

Quote Originally Posted by ZagsGoZags View Post
    I wonder what the elevation difference between the plateau and downtown?
    say, between Garland and downtown,
    or 37th on the south hill and downtown?
    Downtown (GU) 1843 GEG Airport 2385

7 reasons the Zags do swell in Provo: Killian, Corey, Drew, Ryan, Admon, Filip and Joel. Betting how the Zags performed in Moraga is on the minds of the Cougars.

Zags 90
    Scared Cats 70
    http://www.fowlplaces.com/zags/GoZagsTinySignGuyGlassesColor.png

I’m really looking forward to the match between the centers. Childs is a strong, physical beast, but Petrusev has a distinct height and reach advantage. They’re both crafty, skilled players. This should be fun.
    MCMM 2020: Who Wants Some Cheese?

GU is at 1883’ .... Spokane has a bit of relief. GU is along the Spokane River.
    http://www.fowlplaces.com/zags/GoZagsTinySignGuyGlassesColor.png

Gonzaga 76
    BYU 78

Quote Originally Posted by stevet75 View Post
    Zags 90 Cougars 79
    Thank you. Believe Zag fans!

If they're hitting 3's we must match them with our own. Corey, Joel, Admon and Killian all very capable if they just take the shots.
    Petro needs to beast up going to the rim.
    To Fish & Game: Keep streams stocked well for Mr. Few!