LSU 9-4

but I think the Committee will reward the hoops powers of

Florida 9-4
    Mississippi State 8-5

as well.

South Carolina is also at 8-5

I'd bet on 5 teams
    So many brackets, so little time.

Southern ... I like this league. I'd love to award the top three with slots, I just don't think it will happen. Eastern Tennessee might ... might have a chance for an at-large.

Eastern Tenn 13-2
    Furman 12-3
    N Car Greensboro 12-3

I'm going to be hopeful and predict two teams in

Southland. Some team named Stephen F Austin went to Durham and beat Duke. The same team lost a singular game in the Southland and currently has a 23-3 record. It might not be enough . One bid league

SFA 14-1
    Nicholls St 12-4
    Abilene Christian 11-4

Southwestern. Everybody's favorite buy-game Texas Southern has a 9-3 conference record and a 3-10 out of conference mark. Good for the coffers, bad for at-large possibilities.

Prairie View 10-2
    Tex Southern 9-3
    Southern 8-5
    Alcorn State 8-5

One bid league

Summit - The league of Dakotas

SD State 12-2
    ND State 11-2
    S Dak 9-5

and for good measure

U ND 6-7

four Dakotas ( and friends ) , one bid

Sun Belt

Ark Little Rock 12-4
    Ga State 11-6
    Tex St 11-6

One bid

Going to skip ahead one ...

WAC

There can be only one ...

New Mexico St 12-0

Also playing, teams 4.5+ games back

And finally ...

WCC ... solid top half of the conf. With apologies to USD's Scholl, I offer a coaching position to Beilein to guide the Toreros forward. We're collecting some good coaches.

Gonz 13-0
    BYU 11-3
    SMC 9-4

Everybody ( everybody ) has these three teams in, and not just in but well positioned. I don't think that the Gaels can survive another loss ... perhaps not even in the Kennel, let alone in Vegas.

I'm hoping for three, my head screams two.

So in the land of Ak, 32 leagues ... and I allowed 63 teams in. Psst, Committee ... call me.

crazy how quickly things change ... no game is in a vacuum

Lunardi has adopted a cool thing lately ... he releases what amounts to "game notes" each day on twitter.

Anyway ... Merrimack is in fact still ineligible - until the 2023-24 season - for postseason play. Not sure how that works out for the Northeast Conference Tourny ... do they just let them play? and if they win does 2nd place represent the conference? Or do they just sit out the whole tourny? I'll have to investigate.

An interesting trend that I see increasing is that actual conferences are the Hosts of Sub-regionals / regionals, rather than individual schools ... presumably doing so still allows their members to go to that site - for example, the ACC is the host of Greensboro this year, but I see no restrictions that would not allow ACC schools to go there.

The WCC is a first weekend host at San Jose in 2021. They are one of 4 first round hosts that are purely a conference

Quote Originally Posted by Akzag View Post
    Anyway ... Merrimack is in fact still ineligible - until the 2023-24 season - for postseason play. Not sure how that works out for the Northeast Conference Tourny ... do they just let them play? and if they win does 2nd place represent the conference? Or do they just sit out the whole tourny? I'll have to investigate.
    Merrimack will not be participating in the NEC tourny. They are also not allowed in the NIT ... however, the CBI and CIT - which are not NCAA operated - can offer them an invite. So there's that.

This thread is …

As good a rundown as I've seen anywhere. Very nice work.

I have my annual favs that I like to see in the tourney. I always cheer for the Big Sky champ, and I like that Eastern may well be the only public WA school in the tourney this year.

I like Utah State, too.

PAC with all schools in major metro areas gets the benefit of the doubt, I agree with you.

Locally, AK, I'm hearing that Miss State is in contention but is at least one good win away - meaning if they only win the games they're supposed to on the way in, they won't make it. They need one upset, which is doable.

No one should sleep on Houston, they scare me.

Florida State always scares me.

Seems like they can't (and prolly shouldn't) hold a tourney without UVA.

Then there are weird schools I like for some undetermined reasons, I like Rhode Island (maybe the colors?), I like the HBCUs, small low funding schools, best bands on earth. I mostly hate the B1G, except Wisconsin. I love your idea on the Ivys. Skip the tournament, save the country.

It would be really nice of the Coronavirus doesn't win the tournament this year.
    Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect.
    Mark Twain.

Quote Originally Posted by DixieZag View Post
    This thread is …

As good a rundown as I've seen anywhere. Very nice work.

I have my annual favs that I like to see in the tourney. I always cheer for the Big Sky champ, and I like that Eastern may well be the only public WA school in the tourney this year.

I like Utah State, too.

PAC with all schools in major metro areas gets the benefit of the doubt, I agree with you.

Locally, AK, I'm hearing that Miss State is in contention but is at least one good win away - meaning if they only win the games they're supposed to on the way in, they won't make it. They need one upset, which is doable.

No one should sleep on Houston, they scare me.

Florida State always scares me.

Seems like they can't (and prolly shouldn't) hold a tourney without UVA.

Then there are weird schools I like for some undetermined reasons, I like Rhode Island (maybe the colors?), I like the HBCUs, small low funding schools, best bands on earth. I mostly hate the B1G, except Wisconsin. I love your idea on the Ivys. Skip the tournament, save the country.

It would be really nice of the Coronavirus doesn't win the tournament this year.

Not that it's surprising, but every game matters. I can see why it can be a full time job for those that are really following it. And to be "up to the minute" you have to squeeze in "your article" in between the end of the day's games and the beginning of the next day. Anyway, most of my info is now outdated. But it was a snapshot in time. I intend to do another run through once the majority of leagues conclude conference play after this weekend.

One big thing is that with Arizona State and Wisconsin both surging, the Gaels appear even more solidified. They have to keep their potential two losses to GU and BYU.

Northeast. Merrimack deserves a huge set of kudos. I think they just finished their transition to Div I and they lead the league heading down the stretch.

Merrimack 12-3
    St Francis 11-4
    Robert Morris 114-4

No at-larges here. One bid
    Merrimack isn't eligible for the NCAA tournament.

https://www.cbssports.com/college-ba...ts-conference/

Ohio Valley . Ugh ... Murray State just took a "bad" loss, falling to Eastern Illinois. The top four of this league are good programs. But I don't think this is the year that they put two in the dance.

Austin Peay 13-2
    Murray State 12-3
    Belmont 12-3
    Eastern Kentucky 11-4
    Let's Go Peay !

Merrimack will not be participating in the NEC tourny. They are also not allowed in the NIT ... however, the CBI and CIT - which are not NCAA operated - can offer them an invite. So there's that.
    Quote Originally Posted by RenoZag View Post
    Merrimack isn't eligible for the NCAA tournament.

https://www.cbssports.com/college-ba...ts-conference/

yeah ... I caught it later. Still year one of their transition. Apparently, a recent rule requires transitioning schools to gain conference affiliation as an initial part of their transition. Remember when there were still a handful of Independent basketball teams? No mas.

American Athletic -

The top six are probably all still hoping for what they think is a deserved at-large bid. 3-4 is realistic, possibly ...

Houston 11-3
    Cincy 10-4
    Tulsa 9-4
    Wichita State 8-5
    SMU 8-5
    Memphis 7-6

I'm thinking Houston, Cincy, and Wichita State get in.
    Tulsa 13-4
    Houston 12-5
    Cincy 12-5
    Memphis 10-7
    Wichita State 10-7

Southern Methodist 9-8
    UConn 9-8

Atlantic Sun

tough one to swallow for the mid major fans, but Liberty has 2 losses now in conf. One bid league

Liberty 11-2
    N. Florida Ospreys sit at 11-3
    Ospreys lost to #3 seed Lipscomb in tourny semis ... Lipscomb will face Liberty for the AQ

Mid-Eastern

One Bid League Brawl

Norfolk 9-2
    N Car A&T 9-3
    NCCU 8-3
    Fla A&M 8-5
    Morgan State 8-5
    Bethune-Cookman 7-5
    the NCs passed Norfolk ... played h2h for the regular season title at NCCU in a highly entertaining game. Home court matters, NCCU wins.

I realize this is just men's teams, but I think Boise St. women were the first to punch their ticket, winning the MWC tourney last night (unless Princeton already locked up the regular season crown for the Ivy, they don't do a conference tourney). Kind of Gonzaga's neighbors, and there's the connection w/ Rice coaching the men's team. BSU women don't win the regular season every year but they seem to own the conference tourney.

Pac 12. In my view, they re-birth has underwhelmed, but they still appear to be on the verge of four bids.

Colorado 10-4
    Arizona 9-4
    Arizona State 9-4
    Oregon 9-5

Those are my four ... but
    the Committee try to also shoehorn in

UCLA 8-5
    USC 8-6
    those were the days ... the Buffs were going to lead the way ... oh, nevermind

UCLA
    Oregon
    Arizona State
    Colorado
    USC
    Arizona
    Stanford (?)

Quote Originally Posted by seacatfan View Post
    I realize this is just men's teams, but I think Boise St. women were the first to punch their ticket, winning the MWC tourney last night (unless Princeton already locked up the regular season crown for the Ivy, they don't do a conference tourney). Kind of Gonzaga's neighbors, and there's the connection w/ Rice coaching the men's team. BSU women don't win the regular season every year but they seem to own the conference tourney.
    It certainly appears to have been the first conference tournament to conclude. Lady Broncos are currently projected to have the honor of playing Oregon State in Corvallis, 13 v 4, first round matchup.