Thread: WBB: Fortier Named Naismith Coach of the Year Late Season Candidate

Post WBB: Fortier Named Naismith Coach of the Year Late Season Candidate

WBB: Fortier Named Naismith Coach of the Year Late Season Candidate

Second straight season GU Head Coach named a late season candidate

SPOKANE, Wash.Gonzaga women's basketball head coach Lisa Fortier has been named a Werner Ladder Naismith Women's Coach of the Year Late Season Candidate, as announced Wednesday morning by the Atlanta Tipoff Club.

Fortier is one of just 15 coaches in the nation to be nominated for the award. This season, Fortier has guided the Bulldogs to a 25-2 overall record, the 18th 20-win season in program history, as well as the highest ranking in program history (No. 11, Associated Press Top 25 Poll).

The Bulldogs clinched a share of their 16th West Coast Conference regular-season title and are poised for their 11th NCAA tournament in the last 12 seasons.

The list will be narrowed down to 10 semifinalists on March 4, and the finalists will be revealed on March 19. The winner of the 2020 Werner Ladder Naismith Women's Coach of the Year will be announced on April 4.

FIRST NAME LAST NAME SCHOOL CONFERENCE
    Geno Auriemma UConn AAC
    Adia Barnes Arizona Pac-12
    Lisa Bluder Iowa Big Ten
    Doug Bruno DePaul BIG EAST
    Cori Close UCLA Pac-12
    Lisa Fortier Gonzaga WCC
    Kelly Graves Oregon Pac-12
    Joe McKeown Northwestern Big Ten
    Wes Moore North Carolina State ACC
    Kim Mulkey Baylor Big 12
    Dawn Plitzuweit South Dakota Summit League
    Scott Rueck Oregon State Pac-12
    Dawn Staley South Carolina SEC
    Tara Vanderveer Stanford Pac-12
    Jeff Walz Louisville ACC

Gonzaga Article Link

Rueck and Geno? This year? I don't think so.

Who comes up with these lists?

I remember all the naysayers about hiring CLF.....all those "great" STH's who dropped their st's when their man crush KG left and taking his recruit and tried to take JB.....it was tough times for CLF....but she weathered the storm...she had fierce loyalty to her players and the players had fierce loyalty to her....

now, we have a continual high achieving team without the big name 5 stars and with MORE STH's then ever....6 sellouts this year.....and the future looks very very bright...from my interactions with a lot of different fans, people love the program and all that it presents...

losing 3 players last year to graduation, losing top performers at the end of last season due to injury, losing top players at the beginning of this year and top if all off with losing Katie in this last stretch.......and still the team carries on.....

a top coach.....

a players coach....

Congratulation CLF!

Quote Originally Posted by seacatfan View Post
    Rueck and Geno? This year? I don't think so.

Who comes up with these lists?

+1
    This post is for March Madness seeding purposes only.

Congrats to Coach Fortier and the rest of the coaching and support staff. Thanks for all you do for the program and community! I am so thankful you’re a Zag!!!

In college basketball, as we all know, recruiting is the name of the game. Exhibit A: Geno Auriemma. And while the GU women don't match up with the men's side in recruiting the same number of blue-chippers, Lisa, and her staff, have shown to be proficient at recruiting "Zag material" athletes that blend well into the system, sacrificing their individual numbers to excel as a team. Would be interesting to see what would happen if she ever lands a 6" 5", 20 ppg, four star, anchor in the paint. Gonna happen. Sooner, rather than later. Congrats, Lisa.

Congratulations to Lisa, her staff and the GU family.... it takes it all.

For a lot of us who have been with GU a number of years, we have seen how Lisa has grown as a head coach. It’s not an easy job... and to be as successful as she has become, again... congratulations.

One game at a time...

Go Zags!!

I think this job has taken a tole on CLF...its not an easy job at all like Skip said.......CLF is a coach that studies the games, but she is also a very emotional coach, one that has close personal ties to her players, taking on their troubles as her own......

she was the very best pick to replace Kelly......so glad they went in that direction......I am so very proud of her and her staff....